Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
OpenOffice is a zombie. It should die but the Apache foundation are, for some reason nobody is quite sure, keeping it plodding along with the bare minimum of effort. Thus muddling the situation for the less technically aware, who stick with OO because of the brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are some things LibreOffice can't handle even on local files.

For example, a massive Spreadsheet Of Doom that is literally 12MB of pure formula madness, made by someone who doesn't know how to program and so has implemented an impressively complicated simulation with the only tool they know. Excel.

But anything sane works fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Terrifying but true: I use Windows for my work machine now, because I got tired of having weird problems with horribly-formatted .docx files.

First time I've used Windows since 1993. It's gotten better: I'm only rebooting once a day now, down from about 8 times a day in 1993.

It annoys the piss out of me that you have to edit the registry and reboot to change the direction of the scroll wheel, but I guess every OS has its own set of ridiculous quirks... right? :ohdear:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hope you're OK with OS-level ads!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Hope you're OK with OS-level ads!

:smith:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You missed out. It almost got good a little while ago, still had issues but things moving in the right direction. With W11 it's taken a sharp downward turn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Microsoft has some really good tech these days. They just need to fire every single one of their monetization employees because they invariably gently caress everything up.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Honestly office software in Linux really sucks. Libre Office works fine I guess but it's this massive bloated mess especially since it seems to be trying to please everyone with 4 different UI experiences that are all kinda poor imitations of the various office menu bars over the last 15 years.

If you just have a standard basic word file libre office handles comparability fine but if you are trying to open a document that has lots of formatting options chances are you are in for a bad time. For a class project I had a document that had restricted you from editing the question and in word it worked fine the question itself was restricted but underneath where the teacher had left for you to answer you could write what ever.

I could not edit anything in libre office and had to just insert a new page at the end of the document and put all my answers there.

I found the best comparability from Only Office (was just using the desktop version) but have been having issues using it under Wayland and have just kinda accepted that things will look kinda funky and moved back to Libre Office.

Mostly I just use office 365 since I can have a shared document multiple people can work on and my university provides it to me for free.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mantle posted:

I guess as an alternative, how is LibreOffice/OpenOffice/FreeOffice with compatibility these days? It's been decades since I've tried but last I did some things like tables didn't work perfectly. Is there a clear winner of the three?

Only office is like 98% compatible with Ms Office (and also looks like MS Office)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cruft posted:

It annoys the piss out of me that you have to edit the registry and reboot to change the direction of the scroll wheel, but I guess every OS has its own set of ridiculous quirks... right? :ohdear:

You don’t have to reboot, BTW. just set the FlipFlop registry key and unplug/replug the mouse. And of course because it’s reversing everything you then end up with a weird feel for zooming cameras in games and so forth.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah Libre Office feels like 60% of MS Office. It can handle basic stuff okay. But heaven forbid you want things like grammar checking in a modern word processor and you suddenly need to start self-hosting languagetool or directing it to the free api server they provide.

And it goes without saying that the UI experience is absolutely subpar.

Libre Office Calc is also much worse than either Google Sheets or Excel. I honestly prefer Google Sheets over Excel. I find the workflows there to be much more self-evident and performant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah Libre Office feels like 60% of MS Office. It can handle basic stuff okay. But heaven forbid you want things like grammar checking in a modern word processor and you suddenly need to start self-hosting languagetool or directing it to the free api server they provide.

And it goes without saying that the UI experience is absolutely subpar.

Libre Office Calc is also much worse than either Google Sheets or Excel. I honestly prefer Google Sheets over Excel. I find the workflows there to be much more self-evident and performant.
I think there was apparently actual built in grammar checking for English but then it broke a little while ago. I never actually used it though.

It sucks that by default libreoffice won't even catch stuff repeated words like "the the"

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
So which is the best they can manage docx? I use google docs primarily but have to deal with Word files every month or so to edit contracts and such. Libreoffice wasn’t the most pleasant thing to use so if there’s an installable alternative that’s better I’d like to try it.

This is something I’ve googled before but it was SEO’d to hell and back.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well Played Mauer posted:

So which is the best they can manage docx? I use google docs primarily but have to deal with Word files every month or so to edit contracts and such. Libreoffice wasn’t the most pleasant thing to use so if there’s an installable alternative that’s better I’d like to try it.

This is something I’ve googled before but it was SEO’d to hell and back.

Try Only Office, it handles docx just fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I broke something!

I tried to open a downloaded image from Firefox, which launched GIMP, and I immediately switched back to Firefox and stared typing. GIMP stole the focus partway through typing the "black and yellow garden spider" and then my file menu (not the toolbar) disappeared and my cursor is now an X shape. The menus and dialogue boxes all seem like they expect the menu to be there and have missing spaces at the bottom, and parts are cut off at the top.

I remembered you used to have to right-click on an image to get to the menus so I did that, thinking I could just go to View > Show Menu bar to fix it, but all it does is move the GIMP application up or down a little bit (the amount I'd expect a menu bar to do) within its current window, cutting off the tops of the toolbar & image tabs, and leaving an empty black space at the bottom of the window.

Any ideas? Can I nuke GIMP from orbit like it's a fresh install without preferences? Did I do something to KDE?

Other applications (KDE & Gnome alike) seem to have a menu bar, for what it's worth.

mystes
May 31, 2006

effika posted:

I broke something!

I tried to open a downloaded image from Firefox, which launched GIMP, and I immediately switched back to Firefox and stared typing. GIMP stole the focus partway through typing the "black and yellow garden spider" and then my file menu (not the toolbar) disappeared and my cursor is now an X shape. The menus and dialogue boxes all seem like they expect the menu to be there and have missing spaces at the bottom, and parts are cut off at the top.

I remembered you used to have to right-click on an image to get to the menus so I did that, thinking I could just go to View > Show Menu bar to fix it, but all it does is move the GIMP application up or down a little bit (the amount I'd expect a menu bar to do) within its current window, cutting off the tops of the toolbar & image tabs, and leaving an empty black space at the bottom of the window.

Any ideas? Can I nuke GIMP from orbit like it's a fresh install without preferences? Did I do something to KDE?

Other applications (KDE & Gnome alike) seem to have a menu bar, for what it's worth.
If you're using Wayland I think gimp has a lot of issues if you aren't using a very recent version

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

effika posted:

I broke something!

Delete the ~/.config/GIMP folder to delete GIMP preferences -- if your typing did something like remove the menu bar via some shortcut combo that'll reset everything.

OTOH the X cursor means that something probably isn't configured right for xwayland on your system. That's the default Xwindows cursor, your DE should be setting xwindows to use the same cursors as everything else. What distro and desktop environment are you using?

mystes posted:

If you're using Wayland I think gimp has a lot of issues if you aren't using a very recent version

The stable version of GIMP (2.10.x) runs via xwayland with no option to use wayland native.

(FWIW it's never had any problems for me, even though I had some other apps cause issues inside xwayland. But I don't use any DPI scaling or other stuff that can make difficulties.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Klyith posted:

Delete the ~/.config/GIMP folder to delete GIMP preferences -- if your typing did something like remove the menu bar via some shortcut combo that'll reset everything.

OTOH the X cursor means that something probably isn't configured right for xwayland on your system. That's the default Xwindows cursor, your DE should be setting xwindows to use the same cursors as everything else. What distro and desktop environment are you using?

The stable version of GIMP (2.10.x) runs via xwayland with no option to use wayland native.

(FWIW it's never had any problems for me, even though I had some other apps cause issues inside xwayland. But I don't use any DPI scaling or other stuff that can make difficulties.)

Fedora 38, KDE Plasma 5.27.8-2, GIMP 2.10.34 sorry. At least I left context clues!

The cursor didn't show up until the menu bar disappeared, so... hmm.

Deleting the config folder didn't bring the menu back or stop the cursor from turning into an X when GIMP was done loading, unfortunately.

Edit: Uninstalled/reinstalled and it's OK now. I have no idea what happened!

effika fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 29, 2023

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
What's a good VNC server if I'm trying to connect to my Arch machine from a Mac? I'm looking for something simple and free.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you search your distro's repository there should be a VNC server. Usually tigervnc I believe.

e.g. apt search vnc

Pipe to a grep for "server" if you get too many results.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Personally I use xrdp and find it works well. Plus then there's already an rdp client on all windows boxes. MS do a free app for MacOS in the case.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been liking SPICE instead of VNC: https://www.spice-space.org/

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spice isn't just for VMs?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't had the need for a VNC in a very long time but xrdp was what I used back in the rhel6 days and it was perfectly fine

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
VNC is slow and bad and RDP or x2go is good.
Do any of these works with Wayland?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Personally I use xrdp and find it works well. Plus then there's already an rdp client on all windows boxes. MS do a free app for MacOS in the case.

Isn’t xrdp using VNC for display in any case?
For some reason I tend to get black screens for VNC until I figure out the error. But xrdp solves that without any larger issues (at least on Centos/RHEL).
I guess xrdp is somewhat more secure by default as well and it is fairly easy to get AD authentication working.

That said, Mac has an inbuilt VNC client, but key mappings suck compared to RealVNC.
Doing administrative IT stuff on a network where user computers are Macs, servers are Linux (RHEL/Centos/Ubuntu) and authentication is AD leads to interesting solutions to say the least.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

spiritual bypass posted:

VNC is slow and bad and RDP or x2go is good.
Do any of these works with Wayland?

Sunshine (Nvidia Gamestream open source implementation) supports Wayland. Works best with an Nvidia GPU as they have their own special encoder, but I've heard good things about it even with the fallback VAAPI encoder.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

yeah i think if the server is not windows it's just vnc under the covers. but it does use Remote Desktop Protocol when talking to windows boxes. VNC was probably added at some later point for cross compatibility

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm looking for recommendations on documentation about the Linux kernel boot process. I'm talking about the span roughly from where grub hands control over to the decompressed kernel to the point that systemd takes over. I expect to have to do some boot debugging in the next year or so and want to get comfortable with the kernel boot process. I couldn't find anything in the Documentation folder that really laid it out. The arch folders have a little bit of architecture-specific microdetails but nothing is going over the process.

I did some book hunting online. The best I found was Linux Kernel Primer, The: A Top-Down Approach for x86 and PowerPC Architectures. It's from 2005 so it's talking about multiboot support not yet in the kernel and it also references init 1, so it's pretty old. I did recognize the start_kernel handoff it mentioned from when I did my own bushwhacking, but I still don't want to rely on much of what its saying being still relevant.

I'm guessing there's some embedded Linux there somewhere they goes into it and I haven't found the magic search terms that would do it. I'm only interested in a regular Intel PC boot process, but I figure one of those embedded books goes through the standard stuff, and I'd just supplement with architecture-specific notes or whatever.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on documentation about the Linux kernel boot process.

I used https://docs.kernel.org/driver-api/early-userspace/index.html to make my own tiny Linux distro

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone remotely connect to a Mac from Linux/Wayland? I'm on KDE plasma + NixOS, currently using KRDC using VNC to connect into my laptop, which I mostly use for email.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Parsec, RealVNC, both work in my x11/nixos to max

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on documentation about the Linux kernel boot process.
I haven't looked at this in a decade at this point, but it was pretty poorly documented the last time I did. You'll probably mostly have to figure it out on your own. Some random thoughts though:

For a long time Linux did not support multiboot. Instead, GRUB knows how to parse the (b)zImage header and uses multiboot for "everything else", which I think is Hurd and a bunch of undergraduate student kernels. Not sure if Linux supports multiboot now.

At least on ARM, the zImage decompresor stub is self-contained position-independent code. Basically the stub relocates itself, decompresses the kernel over it's original entry point, then jumps to that point as if the kernel was uncompressed to begin with. This actually serves as an interesting place to insert your own code for tracing as you can yoink the compressed kernel build out of an existing zImage and wrap a modified decompression stub around it, with all the boot-time tracing hooks you want.

Some point after I last looked at all this, Linux gained an EFI boot stub. I'm not sure if this applies to all kernel builds on UEFI systems or if it's a build config thing. Again this may serve as a point of interest on modern systems.

I'm not sure what Coreboot actually uses to boot Linux. I assume in Coreboot environments that don't include an EFI (OVMF/TianoCore) it parses the zImage header. Curious though.

If you're looking for what happens after decompression/bootloader-specific stuff I think everything does funnel through a single architecture-specific "entry" point. Can't tell you exactly where it's located off the top of my head though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Look at Linux From Scratch it may have what you desire

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just set up Fedora on a new machine. On Windows, I used the Logitech app to remap the buttons on my mouse to single keys. Is there something similar I can do on Linux to achieve this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't looked at this in a decade at this point, but it was pretty poorly documented the last time I did. You'll probably mostly have to figure it out on your own. Some random thoughts though:

For a long time Linux did not support multiboot. Instead, GRUB knows how to parse the (b)zImage header and uses multiboot for "everything else", which I think is Hurd and a bunch of undergraduate student kernels. Not sure if Linux supports multiboot now.

At least on ARM, the zImage decompresor stub is self-contained position-independent code. Basically the stub relocates itself, decompresses the kernel over it's original entry point, then jumps to that point as if the kernel was uncompressed to begin with. This actually serves as an interesting place to insert your own code for tracing as you can yoink the compressed kernel build out of an existing zImage and wrap a modified decompression stub around it, with all the boot-time tracing hooks you want.

Some point after I last looked at all this, Linux gained an EFI boot stub. I'm not sure if this applies to all kernel builds on UEFI systems or if it's a build config thing. Again this may serve as a point of interest on modern systems.

I'm not sure what Coreboot actually uses to boot Linux. I assume in Coreboot environments that don't include an EFI (OVMF/TianoCore) it parses the zImage header. Curious though.

If you're looking for what happens after decompression/bootloader-specific stuff I think everything does funnel through a single architecture-specific "entry" point. Can't tell you exactly where it's located off the top of my head though.

I like how you completely ignored the "I'm talking about the span roughly from where grub hands control over to the decompressed kernel to the point that systemd takes over" in the original post.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

busalover posted:

Just set up Fedora on a new machine. On Windows, I used the Logitech app to remap the buttons on my mouse to single keys. Is there something similar I can do on Linux to achieve this?

Piper, probably in Fedora's repos.

They have pretty comprehensive support for logitech mice, so I figure someone at logitech may actually be submitting stuff there. Wish other companies would get on the ball.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on documentation about the Linux kernel boot process. I'm talking about the span roughly from where grub hands control over to the decompressed kernel to the point that systemd takes over.

This is decent: https://0xax.gitbooks.io/linux-insides/content/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I like how you completely ignored the "I'm talking about the span roughly from where grub hands control over to the decompressed kernel to the point that systemd takes over" in the original post.

I thought it was an interesting read :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Klyith posted:

Piper, probably in Fedora's repos.

They have pretty comprehensive support for logitech mice, so I figure someone at logitech may actually be submitting stuff there. Wish other companies would get on the ball.

That looks cool. But my MX518 is not getting recognised. Maybe I need to restart? Weird, can't be because it's too old.