Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

How do I hold my beer then? :confused:

In your hat, duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have the 615 CFM ego power with the 56v 2.5AH battery; it will "idle" up to ~500CFM (adjustable dial) and then the "turbo" thumb button will give you full 615 CFM. 615 CFM is enough to peel caked damp/water logged leaves off the ground at 2 feet and push heavy pine cones/magnolia seed pods across the grass

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VRZ172R/

Looks like they've moved on and 650+ is the new standard. There doesn't seem to be any official certification for this so you're just gonna have to trust the super trustworthy marketing drones

I looked at those baby blowers but they're probably worse than using your shop vac in blow mode

Zarin posted:

The shoulder strap is extra though :sad:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 2, 2023

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Just don't be that one dude spending 5 minutes pushing two leaves around because god forbid he have to bend over.

Zarin posted:

In your hand on the porch, while your kids work? :confused:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sloppy posted:

Just don't be that one dude spending 5 minutes pushing two leaves around because god forbid he have to bend over.

Oh, yeah, no, nothing like that. I actually enjoy raking leaves if that's the task; this place is 100% pine trees (the ones with the long needles) and I just want to keep the hard surfaces clean.

Sloppy posted:

In your hand on the porch, while your kids work? :confused:

Soon . . . soooooooon (he is 6 so he kinda sucks at most tasks yet, but I am teaching him bit by bit; I have the patience to play the long game)

That being said, I always preferred to work WITH someone rather than just fully splitting up (or, more usually, working FOR him) so I'll probably be real bad at this :v:

Hadlock posted:

I looked at those baby blowers but they're probably worse than using your shop vac in blow mode

My shop vac was designed so that the motor unit could come off, and it has a specific attachment to be a leaf blower; I'll probably end up seeing how well that works before I purchase something.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zarin posted:

My shop vac was designed so that the motor unit could come off, and it has a specific attachment to be a leaf blower; I'll probably end up seeing how well that works before I purchase something.

As someone who bought a corded $15 blower off of Amazon to get rid of a bunch of eastern white pine needles in my back yard, you will be annoyed by it and then get used to it. Then in a few month to a year you'll get a good cordless electric and realize how much faster and easier it is to use.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

buy all your neighbors noise cancelling head phones then you can blow leaves to your hearts content.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

My favorite leaf blower experience was when my neighbor’s lawn service sent two dudes with backpack leaf blowers out. To clear a quarter of an inch of very light powdery snow off of his driveway. At 10 PM. On Christmas Day.

He was out of town, anyway.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

For getting pine needles off pavement you just want a push broom.

My EGO 765-CFM electric leafblower is much faster than a push broom. Proportionally it's like upgrading to a push broom from a pair of tweezers

e: It came with a strap but I don't use it - it's not very heavy. Beer is in hand

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 3, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

buy all your neighbors noise cancelling head phones then you can blow leaves to your hearts content.

My neighbors are: a street with trees on the other side, trees, a VFW post that is empty most of the time, and more trees.

The trees and I are on good terms; the hard part about the VFW post is if it's a public place or not? Can I go crush beers with old war vets? Or is service a requirement for entry?

The only wars I'm a veteran of are Warcraft and the ones we fought in PlanetSide 2.

It remains to be seen if the upcoming water wars will put me in the "Veterans Day" or "Memorial Day" camp~ :v:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zarin posted:

My neighbors are: a street with trees on the other side, trees, a VFW post that is empty most of the time, and more trees.

The trees and I are on good terms; the hard part about the VFW post is if it's a public place or not? Can I go crush beers with old war vets? Or is service a requirement for entry?

The only wars I'm a veteran of are Warcraft and the ones we fought in PlanetSide 2.

It remains to be seen if the upcoming water wars will put me in the "Veterans Day" or "Memorial Day" camp~ :v:

It's not public, it's a private organization/club. But a lot of them are hurting, membership dwindling, and are opening up a bit. I've got a friend who says he drinks in his local one all the time and is a big fan of the very cheap beers. Might be worth it to stick your head in, say you live across the street and are curious, make some conversation. You couldn't be a member, but they might say it's cool to come have a drink with them.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 3, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I will rake or mulch when possible but there's some situations where a blower is just the right tool for the job. For example I have a section of river rock gravel near an oak tree that would take a huge amount of time to rake but blows clear in 10 seconds of the lowest setting.

You just need to not be a dick about using the blower. That means being taking a quick peek to see if your neighbors are up to anything that would be disturbed by it, judicious about what needs to be blown, doing it all in one go with the lowest setting so it is as quiet as possible, and not blowing it into the street or neighboring yards.

The biggest offenders aren't homeowners themselves but the lawn care crews who show up whenever and dgaf. In Austin there at least used to be a lawn care company that only used electric tools and one of my neighbors a few houses down across the street used them. They did have a small inverter generator on their trailer but I believe they offered a decent discount if you let them plug an extension cord in while they worked so they could charge up their batteries without running it, and my neighbor took them up on that.

I hope that the all-electric concept takes off because usually the only way I knew they were doing lawn work was if I saw the truck from my WFH station or was taking a walk when they were doing their thing.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 3, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Shifty Pony posted:

The biggest offenders aren't homeowners themselves but the law care crews who show up whenever and dgaf.

This is why I am salty about it. They show up at 6:30 am, Monday morning, all summer at the commercial building across the street. By law they can't start until 7 but they indeed dgaf. I am not even asleep but it just ruins my morning coffee on the porch.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks like I am moving towards House-buying Thread: Swiss Edition

Looking for an apartment here that is closer in to the city as we are DINKs and don't need more space. We found a 3 bed apartment in a new development that is close to the centre and also also to the metro line that goes to the lake. Ground floor, big terrace which can be accessed directly from living room and all bedrooms. Underground parking with unfortunately only one space per apartment. Spoke with the bank this morning who seem OK with giving us a mortgage for this place on top of our chalet.

Mortgage rates are currently about 2.5% here and you can structure the loan in slices fixed for a certain number of years, I guess depending on what you think will happen to the rates. Mortgages are also normally interest-only (once amortised to 66%) which is very different from the UK (and US) method, and that interest is tax-dedictible. Buying property is subject to a notary fee which is maybe equivalent to stamp duty of 5%.

I am going to speak with a mortgage broker, they have quite a big upfront fee but apparently can get you good rates, which is obviously important with these interest-only mortgages.

Oh also we have to pay 50k CHF upfront as a "reservation" fee, need confirmation we can get it back and the circumstances allowed. Delivery of the building is expected early 2025.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Make sure to check what your recourse on the 50k is if the developer goes under.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What I would like to know is why garbage and recycling only come at 6AM if I forgot to put the cans out, and if I did, they don't come until 6PM.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sundae posted:

What I would like to know is why garbage and recycling only come at 6AM if I forgot to put the cans out, and if I did, they don't come until 6PM.

For the same reason that smoke detector low battery alarms only go off between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I love when they go off in the middle of the night and I don't have a spare battery and all the stores are closed. Deal with it or remove the battery and have no smoke detector?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uthor posted:

I love when they go off in the middle of the night and I don't have a spare battery and all the stores are closed. Deal with it or remove the battery and have no smoke detector?

And usually deal with a capacitor that has enough juice to make it continue to beep even though the battery has been removed requiring you to take it into the garage and wail upon it with the nearest hammer until it ceases to be.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Uthor posted:

Ours are hooked up to some centralized thing that spans the whole unit. If I remove one and take out its battery, after like 15 min or something, the others all start beeping even more frequently to warn me that one isn't functioning.

gently caress you for trying to save my life, smoke detectors. gently caress you.

Also, whoever decided that the pitch of a smoke detector needed to be at whatever frequency it is so that I can never tell which one is actually beeping? gently caress him too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sundae posted:

Ours are hooked up to some centralized thing that spans the whole unit. If I remove one and take out its battery, after like 15 min or something, the others all start beeping even more frequently to warn me that one isn't functioning.

gently caress you for trying to save my life, smoke detectors. gently caress you.

Also, whoever decided that the pitch of a smoke detector needed to be at whatever frequency it is so that I can never tell which one is actually beeping? gently caress him too.

I stood in front of a beeping furnace for about 6 beeps over half an hour without detecting that the beep was the Verizon battery backup behind me

The guy I called out to service the furnace knew before he walked downstairs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

one of our "10 year sealed" kidde detectors started going off, like full goign off not just beeping, at 6am a couple weeks ago, and it's only 3 years old. The only way to make it stop was to jam a screwdriver into the permanently disable this forever plastic thing on the back and twist, so now that one is dead and I need a new one and it seems like costco and home depot etc. mostly just have these kidde ones but there is one other brand, "Firex". Are they any good? Is there some other manufacturer that can make a product that won't deafen us and our cats randomly or fail after a third of its lifetime?

e. ah gently caress Firex is also just Kidde

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Sundae posted:

I spent weeks of investigating why my new ones (also in a connected fashion) were beeping once every 30 minutes. bought new ones, flipping breakers on and off…

only to find out it was the old one that I replaced and tossed in the tool closet but hadn’t taken the backup battery out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They sell a nefarious device on ebay about the size of a postage stamp you can stash in your enemy's house/office that runs on a watch battery and randomly beeps anywhere between 30 minutes and 8 hours using that 100dB, high pitch frequency which has no directional information (so you can't find it) and the battery lasts something like 3 years. There are stink bombs, glitter bombs, and then when you reallly really hate someone, they have this device

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

They sell a nefarious device on ebay about the size of a postage stamp you can stash in your enemy's house/office that runs on a watch battery and randomly beeps anywhere between 30 minutes and 8 hours using that 100dB, high pitch frequency which has no directional information (so you can't find it) and the battery lasts something like 3 years. There are stink bombs, glitter bombs, and then when you reallly really hate someone, they have this device

A buddy of mine hid three of these in our first house a bunch of years ago when he thought practical jokes were the best. His murder was contemplated but ultimately averted by my wife who prevailed upon him to give up the locations after explaining to him just how imminent his demise was.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

I spent weeks of investigating why my new ones (also in a connected fashion) were beeping once every 30 minutes. bought new ones, flipping breakers on and off…

only to find out it was the old one that I replaced and tossed in the tool closet but hadn’t taken the backup battery out.
The construction workers across the street from my old apartment tossed a smoke detector with the battery still in into a dusty dumpster before they left for the weekend.

It was going off for several hours before I climbed into the dumpster to get it. Should have thrown it through their window.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Beef Of Ages posted:

A buddy of mine hid three of these in our first house a bunch of years ago when he thought practical jokes were the best. His murder was contemplated but ultimately averted by my wife who prevailed upon him to give up the locations after explaining to him just how imminent his demise was.

torturing your friends, as a lil prank

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Inept posted:

Make sure to check what your recourse on the 50k is if the developer goes under.

That is a good point, thanks

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

hmm

but hey at least it looks nice, right. who needs ventilation anyway

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mistermojo posted:

hmm

A lot of kitchens are essentially display model/reheating only. Especially in houses that get gussied up for sale or flipped.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not the only one who had to double take because on first glance I thought it was purchased for $225K and then listed at $450K the very next day, right? Right??

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not the only one who had to double take because on first glance I thought it was purchased for $225K and then listed at $450K the very next day, right? Right??

It took reading your post for me to realize that wasn't what it said. :lol: I just assumed the market was so hosed up that I didn't question it.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Beef Of Ages posted:

For the same reason that smoke detector low battery alarms only go off between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning.

That's because battery voltage is correlated with battery temperature and your house is cooler at night

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mistermojo posted:

Welcome to the future. It has one of these or something similar on the back edge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Universal-30-Telescopic-Downdraft-System/5001853059

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Welcome to the future. It has one of these or something similar on the back edge.

Did they just take the dumb recirculating microwave range and slap it into an island?

There’s no way that vents to outside right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

It doesn't look like there's anything downdraft "hood" there. They are usually pretty obvious.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did they just take the dumb recirculating microwave range and slap it into an island?

There’s no way that vents to outside right?

They usually vent to crawl space.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

This seems like pseudoscience...? Like, it somehow magically takes all of the fumes and aerosolized oils and whatever that naturally move upwards from the range, and pushes them down while being invisible and not being in the place where all of those fumes go...?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

It's a blower that pulls air in, like the intake fan on your computer. It then connects to the same metal tubing that you connect any other vent to and direct out of your house.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ham Equity posted:

This seems like pseudoscience...? Like, it somehow magically takes all of the fumes and aerosolized oils and whatever that naturally move upwards from the range, and pushes them down while being invisible and not being in the place where all of those fumes go...?

It has a fan that sucks them in yeah, and will affect your flame if you have a gas range so not ideal, but also definitely isn’t invisible when in use, if you look at the pics you can see it stills up maybe a foot or a bit under when turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

TheBacon posted:

They usually vent to crawl space.

This can't be good, even if it's nominally filtered? Enclosed tight crawlspace would get greasy and nasty as hell.

Inspector flagged a similar thing on a house we really wanted, although it was a hood venting into the space between 1st/2nd floors.