Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muttpupdog
Sep 9, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

Sorry Daddy Daze, I have it on better authority that you're wrong.

Am I the only one who finds it embarassing that these jokes are *so* similar yet one is so clearly superior? There's no way the Daddy Daze guy didn't know about this Calvin & Hobbes strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

muttpupdog posted:

Am I the only one who finds it embarassing that these jokes are *so* similar yet one is so clearly superior? There's no way the Daddy Daze guy didn't know about this Calvin & Hobbes strip.

Nope, I feel you on that. The C&H comic both plays with the concept by having Dad clearly making it up as he goes, and Calvin getting worked up as he tries to make sense of it. It allows it to escalate the joke and build up to an overall funny conversation.

DD has its usual problem of the characters not really emoting and only one actually having a speaking part, which doesn't help, then doesn't have that subtle interplay of the characters. It also neither has a real punchline ("two crayons!" is not a punchline) nor does it have the overall funny conversation. It doesn't even quite hold up its own logic, like it would if Baby was convinced that the world was B&W and provided at least some funny evidence that supported the concept.

Bill Waterson knew when he was beginning to make a product he couldn't be proud of any longer, and he stopped. DD should have had that recognition... well, sometime before now. I'm not sure it ever had that much of a golden age.

Tauhid, on the other hand, is really finding his feet and it's wonderful to see.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (July 15-18, 2003)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Get on with it already!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/15/51

Archie 4/29 - 5/1/48

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: Betty is a meamlord

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Born 30 years too soon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tea pose to assert dominance

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 18: Maggie's Party Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Little Green Witch is definitely my new favourite character. I’ve been waiting months for this page to run so you can meet her. It is my fervent hope that she will return. I suppose only I can make that happen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Abbie Doobie.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I mean we all saw this from a mile away but I’m looking forward to the bookworm being an absolute brick house on the stage.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Your Actions Are So Poorly Conveyed

Woo Woo! Woo Woo!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye finally showed up, and please welcome Emi Burgde (they/them) to the Olive end of the equation.

Our Boarding House (August 25-27, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (October 31-November 2, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Poetry Corner (December 9, 1914)

Buttons (March 26, 1939)

Little Lefty (March 27 and 29, 1939 (no Lefty in the 28th edition))

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Poetry Corner (December 9, 1914)

this has to be a historical personage right? or commenting on some kind of trend. i guess people cared a lot more about poetry 110 years ago

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I wonder how long it takes him to shave that star into his head every day

Gil Thorp

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I wonder how long it takes him to shave that star into his head every day

Probably not very, I imagine he's got enough practice by now

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mister Olympus posted:

this has to be a historical personage right? or commenting on some kind of trend. i guess people cared a lot more about poetry 110 years ago

War poetry was huge during WWI, often composed both by and about young soldiers who wouldn't survive the war, and usually directly dealing with the horrors of war compared to earlier patriotic war-poetry traditions; Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon are the two big names. Presumably there were also a lot of trend-chasing dips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:haw:

I would like to know the context of this.

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye finally showed up, and please welcome Emi Burgde (they/them) to the Olive end of the equation.
Why is Olive's friend reacting like this? She comes back to find Olive climbing a tree. So? A panicked scream seems unwarranted.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol is that Dawn, Wilbur's daughter?

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Shh!

Also wanted to say I literally lol'd at this edit. Thank you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 31, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 5, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 02, 1959)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a classic gawain face and gesture

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lmao at pop up Mary.

I thought Gawain was going to gradually push Hume and Joan home when their frustration peaked but now Gawain is risking Aleta being mad at him. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

Why is Olive's friend reacting like this? She comes back to find Olive climbing a tree. So? A panicked scream seems unwarranted.

Oops! I forgot to tell a joke!

Because we're about two months into Olive Oyl: Ghost Detective and only Randy remembers to tell jokes on his turn in the rotation and none of them have remembered or used the useless 4-6 side-side-side characters they brought along.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(January 27, 1918)

$2.62 in 1918 is $56.75 today.

Slippery Elm

The rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(December 1, 1918)

Noticed a new signature, C.S.B. in the 'Rubber Stamp' panel. Everything else seems to be King.

Little Nemo(June 23, 1907)

This is a neat little set piece. I like the car thing.
Shame about the racism.

I don't think McCay is trying to be malicious, he just doesn't seem to know any better.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mumi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/3/03

Brenda Starr 10/22-24/51

Smokey Stover 3/10/57

Everyday Movies 10/30/36

"Now tell me what you think of it -- but don't look at the fur."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/20-22/42

Bonus Story! Dale Messick gets a write-up in the Chicago Tribune.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dunkin' on Sputter

Pluggers

wikipedia posted:

Jeffrey Kenneth "Jeff" MacNelly (September 17, 1947 – June 8, 2000) was an American editorial cartoonist[1] and the creator of the comic strip Shoe. After Shoe had been established in papers, MacNelly created the single-panel strip Pluggers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

I don't mean to come across as too pedantic, but in my younger years I read Scott McCloud's books on the mechanics of comics and for some reason, the sequence on how panels can simultaneously depict a specific moment in time and, via dialogue, a specific length of time, has never really left my head, and I always figured if you made comics professionally you'd take great care with your panel timing and avoid situations where the action takes huge jumps from one panel to the next while the same word carries on across them and, well, I painted an idealistic picture of the world in many other ways too

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Hippocrass posted:

This is a neat little set piece. I like the car thing.
Shame about the racism.

I don't think McCay is trying to be malicious, he just doesn't seem to know any better.

I like the frog horn

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The goat car really is wonderful. It's such a simple joke, but it's delivered so well by his drawing. The skill he realizes the goat tyres are drawn with such realism despite getting pretty complex as the terrain goes weird.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The goat car really is wonderful. It's such a simple joke, but it's delivered so well by his drawing. The skill he realizes the goat tyres are drawn with such realism despite getting pretty complex as the terrain goes weird.

If he had drawn the 'Imps' as normal humans, even with dark skin, it would have been so great. I really can't fathom why he just had to trot out the golliwog model, but I've also seen comic strips from the era that go full malicious racist caricature. It's really weird thinking of this design being, somehow, progressive for it's era.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 8, 1935)

Peanuts (October 6, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 1-3, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 8, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 21-23, 1942)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Null Stress

This one wasn't easy to translate. In Norway we have the word "maule". It refers to eating slices of cheese alone, without bread. It's not something you do in polite society, but alone in deep shame while you ask yourself what lead you to this. I couldn't find a similar english word, so I used "munch".

TegneHanne