Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The next episode can't come out soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He originally thought that Homelander raped *and* killed Becca. Turns out he very probably intimidated (raped) her thinking it was a victimless crime since (apparently) one drawback to Compound V is sterility, and someone as hosed in the head as Homelander likely sees that as carte blanche to gently caress whomever he wants, whenever he wants.

That said, he blames Homelander for Becca's death because through his actions she actually ended up dying, and he now has a massive rage-on for Vought and Homelander because they kept his wife from him for over a decade. I still think Butcher's the one who actually killed Becca - he was swinging away with that crowbar and her wound didn't look like it was from a laser blast.

Cheers pal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dongicus posted:

Why does Butcher hate Homelander? Did i miss something?

when they were children, butcher was working in his laboratory and it caught fire, and homelander came and blew out the fire with his super breath saving butchers life but it blew the chemicals all over butchers hair making him bald. now he has to wear a wig and he blames homelander for his baldness

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SMBC Comics had the best take on the practical uses of superpowers:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PostNouveau posted:

I can't find it on youtube, but pretend I posted the ending of "I Am A Virgo" where the revolutionary commie talks the billionaire vigilante out of doing the poo poo he's been doing by giving him a lecture on how capitalism creates criminality and, in fact, requires it to survive.

Actually, if you like The Boys, you'll probably like "I Am A Virgo".

Edit: Oh found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeLqx_AstY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUq-bk-x6tw

holy poo poo boots riley did a superhero show? why am i wasting time watching a spin off of the boys

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh yeah I watched that, great show. Real smart poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Golden Bee posted:

Good show and it’s fun to have characters who does trust each other without being filled with hateful betrayal.

Just catching up on ep3 and it's great that the people I expected to be trash antagonists are the ones risking everything for their friend.

Meanwhile, the main character, who I thought was going to be the Golden Child, is falling over herself to be manipulated into becoming a Vaught stooge.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He originally thought that Homelander raped *and* killed Becca. Turns out he very probably intimidated (raped) her thinking it was a victimless crime since (apparently) one drawback to Compound V is sterility, and someone as hosed in the head as Homelander likely sees that as carte blanche to gently caress whomever he wants, whenever he wants.

That said, he blames Homelander for Becca's death because through his actions she actually ended up dying, and he now has a massive rage-on for Vought and Homelander because they kept his wife from him for over a decade. I still think Butcher's the one who actually killed Becca - he was swinging away with that crowbar and her wound didn't look like it was from a laser blast.

Shannon Becca was stabbed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

holy poo poo boots riley did a superhero show? why am i wasting time watching a spin off of the boys

It's good. It's mostly political of course, but I did like their take on super speedsters the speedster is living in constant slowdown mode and it's basically a living hell.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
AND whenever the speedster moves it plays the "piron piron piron" sounds from Akira

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

PostNouveau posted:

It's good. It's mostly political of course, but I did like their take on super speedsters the speedster is living in constant slowdown mode and it's basically a living hell.

The speedster in the Invincible series, Red Rush, has it manifest like turbo ADHD basically which greatly affects his relationship with his wife.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just catching up on ep3 and it's great that the people I expected to be trash antagonists are the ones risking everything for their friend.

Meanwhile, the main character, who I thought was going to be the Golden Child, is falling over herself to be manipulated into becoming a Vaught stooge.

Yeah the show so far has been great in unending expectations in a believable, realistic way. Ofc the woman who's only other option superhero concentration camp is gonna go along with the program. Ofc ppl that loved someone is gonna fight to find out what happened to them.

It hasn't gone into the plane of shocking twists that don't align with a previously established character's motivations that latter seasons of the Boys sometimes crossed into yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also Little Cricket is so far the most sympathetic and dare I say it funny character in the Boys universe so far. Even with the brain delving murder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shageletic posted:

Also Little Cricket is so far the most sympathetic and dare I say it funny character in the Boys universe so far. Even with the brain delving murder.

I mean, especially with the brain delving murder.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wonder if she could crawl into someone and slowly explode them by eating them from inside out. There's a good chance one of the writers already thought of that.

They must have a loving blast writing this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She's smart to go for the ear. Termite hosed up by going for the butt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I agree that Lizzie Broadway is absolutely killing it as Little Cricket and is the most interesting character.

I think Moreau's story is currently lacking oomph, which is odd given she's the nominal protagonist and central point of view of the show. I know her arc is that she feels powerless and lacks control of her own life, but that's also literally every other character's thing as well. But by the end of episode 3 every other character we've been following has made some attempt to assert some control over their own lives and she hasn't. I know that's the point and her arc and struggle is clearly supposed to be a bit longer, but the effect is that the ostensible show lead is also the least interesting main character.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Again, I can't help but think Emma is the "sleeper" hero as her mother's doting about her "food journal" kind of implies that if she eats too much, we have an "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" kind of deal going on.

And again, I've a feeling that the table discussion is the end of Marie being a reluctant game player (in combination with her clearly not believing that the dean fed the interviewer the info about her sister), and that's why they cut it there for the first viewing. She's now aware of the fact that no matter what she does, there's a good chance she'll end up in an "institution," so she might as well have company.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

She had absolutely better be the sleeper hero because the alternative is that they're going to ramp up her suffering and then fridge her so the other characters can Learn A Lesson

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A fridge seems like a poor containment choice for the food fueled super.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
"You fools, you've put me in the one place my power is greatest!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I wonder if she could crawl into someone and slowly explode them by eating them from inside out. There's a good chance one of the writers already thought of that.

They must have a loving blast writing this show.

That's honestly what I thought she was going to to do, "Oh god, I got some in my mouth" style.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I think Moreau's story is currently lacking oomph, which is odd given she's the nominal protagonist and central point of view of the show. I know her arc is that she feels powerless and lacks control of her own life, but that's also literally every other character's thing as well. But by the end of episode 3 every other character we've been following has made some attempt to assert some control over their own lives and she hasn't. I know that's the point and her arc and struggle is clearly supposed to be a bit longer, but the effect is that the ostensible show lead is also the least interesting main character.

I'd argue that Marie's choice to take sole credit for Golden Boy's defeat was framed as an active choice, rather than a passive one.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd argue that Marie's choice to take sole credit for Golden Boy's defeat was framed as an active choice, rather than a passive one.

Thats why I like Marie, her "shucks, golly! oh me? little old me?" phase lasted 15 minutes instead of 10 episodes or entire seasons that other shows often do. I was pumping my fist once she started hitting poses during the photoshoot. It makes her *more* realistic not less that she is both A) actively trying to milk her 15 min of fame because she came from the bottom and B) She is completely out of her element and is both consciously and unconsciously relenting to the people and pressures around her.

All of the main characters are relatable and even some of the supporting adult ones are too! Andre's overbearing dad actually seems to love his son, and when he tells him please for the love of god do not talk about the secret illegal dungeon underneath the school thats actually good advice! And since the viewer knows Andre better than dad does (he was in love with Luke) we know he will never ever let it go.

As far as all their powers go: yes literally every character's power is form of self harm (this is known as a "theme") it fits pretty well in the universe where all superpowers are powered by both literal and figurative child abuse. Gotta either dose them with abuse juice or you have to build an entire eugenics program to produce (1) Homelander . Throughout the series we will undoubtedly see each character learn to harness their powers in (less) harmful ways to greater effect. I hope Marie fully turns heel though and gets a sith lord outfit with a bandolier of blood vials a la Skarlet from MK11 , just because it would look cool .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pool posted:

yes literally every character's power is form of self harm (this is known as a "theme")

Wanna push back a tiny bit here. Jordan calls their powers a wonderful gift in the latest episode and seems to be the only one happy to be a supe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Elliot Page lookalike who Chooses to change gender in order to get free drinks at a bar or maybe win a fist fight

Playing with some volatile stuff there, Gen V

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The female gendered Jordan is the puncher tho, which complicates things.

You could reduce the character to stand in for simple symbolic representation that could play into reactionary stereotypes, sure. However, I don't think the endpoint of queerness should be the creation of newly normal categorisations, so much as the defiance of traditional categorisations and the embrace of the other. Besides, what specific identity would Jordan even map onto? Even the point of that exercise seems wrong.

I think genderfluidity and presentment is complex enough and personal enough that you could also read the character as being their own complex gender defiance, negotiating complicated gender dynamics in ways that both take advantage of existing hegemonic biases (free drinks) and also are at a disadvantage to them (obvious), but ultimately always unique to them and their SFal existence.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they really wanted a shocking stinger for the end of episode 2 which is whatever but lol at the girl next episode being like "drat... that poor janitor" when she made two guards rape each other lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

they really wanted a shocking stinger for the end of episode 2 which is whatever but lol at the girl next episode being like "drat... that poor janitor" when she made two guards rape each other lol

And also publicly tortured (sexually assaulted?) Jumanji dude.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I was only really thinking about the Luke Fight, but Jordan is primarily fem for trying to talk Luke down (or to yelp in pain), and primarily masc for exchanging blows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLRDDyUZHM

It's far too soon to cast judgment on what they're doing here, but hoo wee, lots to navigate

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

And also publicly tortured (sexually assaulted?) Jumanji dude.

that's easier to overlook because people hitting themselves in the balls is just inherently funny

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

From the video of the fight, not really: male Luke punches most of the time during the fight and female Luke uses some kind of ray power (that male Luke can't use). The main exception is when female Luke punches Sun Boy's flaming dick. I don't think we have seen her use her "ray power" before the fight so that's may why you think she is punching.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

From the video of the fight, not really: male Luke punches most of the time during the fight and female Luke uses some kind of ray power (that male Luke can't use). The main exception is when female Luke punches Sun Boy's flaming dick. I don't think we have seen her use her "ray power" before the fight so that's may why you think she is punching.

Whatever point you're trying to make would probably be made better if you weren't misnaming the character. Luke was Golden Boy. The person you probably think you're really cleverly deadnaming is Jordan Li.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

Whatever point you're trying to make would probably be made better if you weren't misnaming the character. Luke was Golden Boy. The person you probably think you're really cleverly deadnaming is Jordan Li.
Yes, my bad. I think my point is "we haven't been show Jordan's fighting abilities clearly outside a big messy fight and their abilities are based on the gender they express". The criticism on what power is liked to what gender is most likely valid, I just don't believe it was shown and explained very well in the show. Also, are we really using trans terminology with someone who still walks around as his original gender and still uses his birth name publicly in the show? Do you consider Jordan to actually be a trans character or are they more of a genderfluidity allegory? Edit: my bad, after reflection, I probably misread your last sentence. So let me make it clear:: TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS, and me not remembering the correct name of one TV Show character I watched last week isn't a super secret plan to hurt trans people.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 4, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mutantIke posted:

Gonna be in the minority and say that this is a hate-watch for me. In general the social commentary is probably the weakest part of The Boys so I'm disappointed they're leaning further and further on that with each passing season. "Genderfluid character that's played by a boy and a girl actor" will not be looked back on fondly. Nor will the show's standpoint that it's OK to have an eating disorder if it's for a good cause

Goddamn, that's a piping hot steaming pile of an opinion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, my bad. I think my point is "we haven't been show Jordan's fighting abilities clearly outside a big messy fight and their abilities are based on the gender they express". The criticism on what power is liked to what gender is most likely valid, I just don't believe it was shown and explained very well in the show. Also, are we really using trans terminology with someone who still walks around as his original gender and still uses his birth name publicly in the show? Do you consider Jordan to actually be a trans character or are they more of a genderfluidity allegory?

Are you deliberately stepping on every landmine in this field? I don't think it matters whether Jordan is trans or genderfluid, because I'd still use they/their instead of masc pronouns for someone who predominantly but not exclusively presents as female and who has specifically stated that they are not their father's son.

And for the record: use of birth name is totally irrelevant. I've known trans people who continued to use their birth name after they transitioned, usually because it applies equally to either gender - you know, names like "Jordan". And there's a few like the trans artist Jeffrey Catherine Jones who use their birth name in a professional context and their chosen name in their personal life.

E: thanks for your edited clarification. But Jesus Christ, man, take a little more care.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

E: thanks for your edited clarification. But Jesus Christ, man, take a little more care.
Yes, you know you can tell the online discourse is loving going really well when I need to make sure we aren't fighting over some insane chud terrible behavior, just because i have a terrible memory for names.
For reference, this is the name of the other characters of the show as I remember them:
Marie (because Bloody Mary would be a good super hero name, come on and because she is the MC)
Cricket (because it's a fun name for a not so fun power to activate)
Son of T2 (Sun boy) who I now know is named Luke
Number One Black Guy, son of Older hero whose statue's crotch area he destroyed
Blond Hypno Toad
The Metlted Kurgan (it was better to burn out than to fade away)

If it's not written, really easy to remember or repeated ad-nauseum, i won't loving care about 95% of the names. For reference, I incorrectly switched the names of two of my uncles many many times for over 5 years before realizing my mistake. I was never caugh. :banjo: Some sympathy for the people who can't loving remember names, please.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 4, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jedit posted:

Are you deliberately stepping on every landmine in this field? I don't think it matters whether Jordan is trans or genderfluid, because I'd still use they/their instead of masc pronouns for someone who predominantly but not exclusively presents as female and who has specifically stated that they are not their father's son.

And for the record: use of birth name is totally irrelevant. I've known trans people who continued to use their birth name after they transitioned, usually because it applies equally to either gender - you know, names like "Jordan". And there's a few like the trans artist Jeffrey Catherine Jones who use their birth name in a professional context and their chosen name in their personal life.

They wiki says it's They/Their. It also says they identified as bigender, because they have a male and a female gender. They are both named Jordan

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, you know you can tell the online discourse is loving going really well when I need to make sure we aren't fighting over some insane chud terrible behavior, just because i have a terrible memory for names.
For reference, this is the name of the other characters of the show as I remember them:
Marie (because Bloody Mary would be a good super hero name, come on and because she is the MC)
Cricket (because it's a fun name for a not so fun power to activate)
Son of T2 (Sun boy) who I now know is named Luke
Number One Black Guy, son of Older hero whose statue's crotch area he destroyed
Blond Hypno Toad
The Metlted Kurgan (it was better to burn out than to fade away)

If it's not written, really easy to remember or repeated ad-nauseum, i won't loving care about 95% of the names. For reference, I incorrectly switched the names of two of my uncles many many times for over 5 years before realizing my mistake. I was never caugh. :banjo: Some sympathy for the people who can't loving remember names, please.

My goon, I'll say this in the nicest way possible:

Shut the gently caress up and take the L.

No one is asking you to remember every character, but with that "chud discourse" being so prevalent, and often a precursor to actual literal violence against trans and enby folks, maybe just hit imdb when talking about a character centered on gender identity? gently caress, it's on Amazon, all you have to do is pause the scene they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

omfg lmao