Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Neil Armbong posted:

it's not even that high end -- it was so good and reasonably priced compared to some restaurants in town.

what kinds of food do you want to eat? i can give you my recs. I'm guessing you're downtown if at the roaring fork?
I'm open to literally anything and ya In downtown. Here for work until Friday so I'm expensing everything possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are so many excellent restaurants in Austin. Someone will recommend Franklin but you can do better than that and it's generally considered the best BBQ restaurant in the country.

edit: but if you aren't just standing on the road pouring down Lone Star after Lone Star why even go

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just landed in Austin but if the airport is any indication, this town is gonna be rad.

Are they still doing the "live music" in the Airport thing

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm open to literally anything and ya In downtown. Here for work until Friday so I'm expensing everything possible.

Bob's Steak and Chop House is really good downtown. Red Ash is too but you'll have to get lucky with a bar spot because they just had a fire. Zanzibar is a great rooftop bar and for some random foods there's the Fareground where you can just get a bunch of stuff from different restaurants. There's a place called Jewboy Sliders there. Amazing sliders

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Loro is a lyft away on South Lamar and is a very good, if a bit bougie, bbq fusion spot Aaron Franklin (Franklin's BBQ) and Tyson Cole (Uchi/Uchiko) opened. There are some really good migas at Cisco's on E. 6th. Second faregound. Nickel City is a fun bar on the east side that has a food truck there and steak nights -- idk when next one is. Arlo Grey in the line hotel has some nice small bites & drinks.

Idk what budget is, but Hestia is upscale, meat forward dining on west 3rd. Ramen Tatsuya make some v good ramen. If you need a quick lunch, a Royal Blue is p much a bodega and has a sandwich counter in it. Terry Blacks BBQ slaps, as do La BBQ and Micklethwait. Home Slice is p decent pizza and v good subs. Via 313 is top notch detroit style pizza and their bar pies are also really tasty.

e:

dirty shrimp money posted:

Think Matt Gaetz is still going to be a member of Congress in a week? I gotta imagine every possible speck of dirt on him is about to get leaked to the media.

He survived an underage sex trafficking scandal if I remember correctly, so idk what you think would come out that would make a difference to anyone.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

He survived an underage sex trafficking scandal if I remember correctly, so idk what you think would come out that would make a difference to anyone.

someone has to trick him into exposing the secret coke orgies like whatshisass

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

the house freedom caucus, e.g. the maga assholes on the far right, own their party and know it and despite being a tiny minority in the house they are flexing and matt gaetz is their current leader

mccarthy knew this when he went in as speaker, knew that he was either going to have to take his marching orders from gaetz or repudiate that wing of his own party, and with a majority in the house of just five seats he's got no choice but either give a bunch of free stuff to the dems to get a few of them to vote for him for speaker, or do whatever the matt gaetz krew want him to do

it's emblematic of the position the whole republican party is in right now: their presidential frontrunner has multiple criminal and civil trials and may go to jail but he still controls the base and would win the primary if it was held today, by a landslide, and the entire rest of the party has no way of simultaneously dealing with that and continuing to refuse to court democrats by actually making compromises and admitting that democratic party priorities don't actually destroy the country and bring about the apocalypse

it's hilarious but also super depressing

Everyone else has known for years that you'll destroy the Speaker if you turn up the Base too much

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hah!

the party ain't started till the speaker's blown, no no no

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 4, 2023

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Shinji2015 posted:

I need to go back and watch The L Word one of these days, just because 20-something me just didn't know how to process any of it at the time (in a "I don't know why I feel weird things while I watch this and it makes me uncomfortable so I'm going to avoid it" way), and I'd like to see how I'd react to it now.
It suffers a bit from being two decades old, but it's definitely quality drama.

I've just been thinking about how much more variety there is in my life these days. I used to watch very few shows, listen to very few artists...and, well, I still don't watch *a lot* of shows, but I listen to so much more different music than I ever did before. My first concert was to see a band that just sold out Madison Square Garden and performed on Colbert. My second concert is going to see the band that's opening for the band in a DIY warehouse space in the wastes north of New Haven. I literally e-mailed the front-person for the address!

Hmmm, so McCarthy got dumped eh? What's more incompetently run right now: the U.S. House of Representatives or the Chicago Bears? Because, well, that seems like a tough one! At least we can laugh at the latter...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

the house freedom caucus, e.g. the maga assholes on the far right

It's not often I get to :actually:, but e.g. is short for the Latin exempli gratia, meaning "for example." What you meant was i.e., short for id est, which means "that is."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I know that and I still make that error constantly, because I don't care lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Thinking about re-reading Animorphs

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Considering Hollywood, I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been (another?) crack at turning Animorphs into a show/movie.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Given adaptations of recent book series I hope they stay the gently caress away from my favourites.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

yeah I know that and I still make that error constantly, because I don't care lol

Are you feeling ok Leper? That doesn't seem like you.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

hah!

the party ain't started till the speaker's blown, no no no

Cause I grab the mic and say, MAGA y'all!
They tried to take it, and say I'm too small
drat, I get real upset
I kick a hole in the Speaker, pull the plug, then I jet

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 4, 2023

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Leperflesh posted:

Isn't it literally your job to care???

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are you feeling ok Leper? That doesn't seem like you.

Yeah this seems like a cry for help. Leper is sending us some sort of coded message while posting under duress.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MrLogan posted:

Isn't it literally your job to care???

Does technical writing involve legal jargon? I honestly don't know.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is it like a law of the universe that kids will only get sick at the most inconvenient time? Just when I thought my household was finally disease free, my kid is hacking and sneezing once again. Sigh.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Leperflesh is blinking "HELP ME" in Morse code while posting.

Alas he left his webcam off.

And we don't have a livestream option on the forums.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Leperflesh is blinking "HELP ME" in Morse code while posting.

Alas he left his webcam off.

And we don't have a livestream option on the forums.

Maybe his wife finally got him to shorten the word count per post. Leper's shutting off the faucet to increase demand for effort posts

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Considering Hollywood, I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been (another?) crack at turning Animorphs into a show/movie.

I think an animated show would work perfectly

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The live-action Animorphs was not very good to my child brain

It’s pretty hard to film imo, or even to animate. There’s supposed to be an ick factor to the morphs and I don’t think there’s a great way to show it, which is why the TV series just kinda obscured it behind stuff as it was happening.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They should make it super grimy by animating it like an old Ralph Bakshi movie. Just rotoscoped to hell and back full of disturbing close ups of animals

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahhhh, you guys are great.

Yeah it's my job to care but more importantly, we avoid all latin abbreviations in our technical writing. Partly because they're so commonly misused, but more importantly because the stuff my team writes is machine translated into several other languages and you can't count on the software to always get it right and we also don't have language expertise on my team to even check. I can check the spanish, a canadian on my team can check the french, but none of us can reasonably check the german, italian, arabic, chinese, etc.

Aside from that? You know we've talked before about how language evolves, including "misused" words having their definitions shift due to rampant misuse. I think e.g. is taking over i.e. in the common usage. Similar to how we spell it donut instead of doughnut now, or how irregardless means regardless and inflammable means flammable.

Another one that bugs me but I am trying to accept is eek instead of eke. Ya'll eeking out an existence, like a mouse or something. Hah!

I'm OK really.

e. oh another one, for a while there like the last several years I was seeing "et. al." instead of "etc." a lot. Not strictly wrong, in many cases, just a weird usage that is now just a standard usage.

just saw another one: "kitty corner" for "catty corner". What? How did this happen? What the hell is a kitty corner supposed to mean? :shrug: doesn't matter, this is our language now (originally French, "catre," quarter, then to english "cater," to cut diagonally, hence cater-corner)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 4, 2023

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

just saw another one: "kitty corner" for "catty corner". What? How did this happen? What the hell is a kitty corner supposed to mean? :shrug: doesn't matter, this is our language now (originally French, "catre," quarter, then to english "cater," to cut diagonally, hence cater-corner)

huh my quote shows you fixed it to call it "catty corner" instead of "caddy corner" and i was like "well there's your answer"

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It just strikes me as being a really awkward property to adapt. Your protagonists are a bunch of teenagers, but also they're waging this desperate, doomed guerilla war against an empire of alien neuro-parasites infiltrating Earth, and they do basically everything by morphing into animals. Also it's incredibly, viscerally violent and bleak and you have 6 main characters.

There are just so many ways to gently caress that up. Probably animation would be your best bet: live action would probably be dragged down by lovely CGI and mediocre-to-poor fight choreography. And even still Visser Three is at once this massively terrifying badass but also just plain not very good at the job he's been given, and there are multiple ways to screw *that* up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

huh my quote shows you fixed it to call it "catty corner" instead of "caddy corner" and i was like "well there's your answer"

yeah of course I immediately googled it and fixed the spelling. I have definitely seen caddy corner too, like a golf caddy? I was wondering if that was the etymology, but it isn't.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Leperflesh posted:

yeah of course I immediately googled it and fixed the spelling. I have definitely seen caddy corner too, like a golf caddy? I was wondering if that was the etymology, but it isn't.

Yeah I had always thought it was caddy corner which made kitty corner that much more perplexing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

Ahhhh, you guys are great.

Yeah it's my job to care but more importantly, we avoid all latin abbreviations in our technical writing. Partly because they're so commonly misused, but more importantly because the stuff my team writes is machine translated into several other languages and you can't count on the software to always get it right and we also don't have language expertise on my team to even check. I can check the spanish, a canadian on my team can check the french, but none of us can reasonably check the german, italian, arabic, chinese, etc.

Aside from that? You know we've talked before about how language evolves, including "misused" words having their definitions shift due to rampant misuse. I think e.g. is taking over i.e. in the common usage. Similar to how we spell it donut instead of doughnut now, or how irregardless means regardless and inflammable means flammable.

Another one that bugs me but I am trying to accept is eek instead of eke. Ya'll eeking out an existence, like a mouse or something. Hah!

I'm OK really.

e. oh another one, for a while there like the last several years I was seeing "et. al." instead of "etc." a lot. Not strictly wrong, in many cases, just a weird usage that is now just a standard usage.

Whew Leper is ok

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Whew Leper is ok

sometimes you have to turn it off and back on again

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. You know who else is OK? FAT BEARS

https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

It's time to vote again!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
My crazy aunt called my dad yesterday to warn him about the 5g zombie virus activation today. Told him to keep his phone off for protection. My dad uses an old flip phone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. You know who else is OK? FAT BEARS

https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

It's time to vote again!

We lost McCarthy, but we kept the fat bears.

A fair trade off.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Pops Mgee posted:

My crazy aunt called my dad yesterday to warn him about the 5g zombie virus activation today. Told him to keep his phone off for protection. My dad uses an old flip phone.

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1709271854395891936

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ooh baby, it’s zombie time

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahahaha scared the shiiiiiiiiit out of my 3yo

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
The 5G nanobots from the vaccines have activated. I still feel the same tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a sexual elk posted:

Hahahaha scared the shiiiiiiiiit out of my 3yo

It scared the poo poo out of me, since everyone’s phone in my office went off, including me, since I have all the alerts turned off on mine.