Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

oh man they just added my local resort Blue Mountain onto the Ikon pass, I only go midweek anymore but I am imagining the incoming weekend chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Varg posted:

oh man they just added my local resort Blue Mountain onto the Ikon pass, I only go midweek anymore but I am imagining the incoming weekend chaos

Wasn't Blue Mountain already on the Ikon pass? I had a buddy who did that last year, unless there's a different Blue Mountain you're talking about.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yeah this is a different one in Pennsylvania. They also added Camelback which is owned by the same company. I guess they thought they needed the extra business since last winter kinda sucked and they never even got fully open.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Varg posted:

Yeah this is a different one in Pennsylvania. They also added Camelback which is owned by the same company. I guess they thought they needed the extra business since last winter kinda sucked and they never even got fully open.

I see Ikon is trying the Vail model. Blue Mountain has the highest vertical drop in PA, but man if you don't wait for it. I can't imagine adding the Ikon pass is going to make it better.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m imagining the front side Vail crowd at Silverton and it could be a Netflix miniseries.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Eejit posted:

They're a little broey, but it sounds like the founders went through a lot of people to find a good fit. After reading this ADN article, I felt a bit more comfortable about it: https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/aspen-duo-acquires-silverton-ski-area/article_6725d3fe-5d8a-11ee-837b-57e578152d92.html

I’ve skied with Aaron and he’s a super good dude

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's currently around 15°C at Paradiski, where I'm heading at the beginning of January, and not a flake of snow. That bothers me a lot. We already pushed back the date two months ago on a whim, which I guess was a good decision retroactively.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's currently around 15°C at Paradiski, where I'm heading at the beginning of January, and not a flake of snow. That bothers me a lot. We already pushed back the date two months ago on a whim, which I guess was a good decision retroactively.

Way too early to worry. Even the resorts in Colorado that have base areas around 10k ft don't get a white ribbon of death until late October. Skiing doesn't really start in earnest until December

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Paradiski includes Les Arc doesn't it? That's over 3000m in places - you'll be fine. Worst case scenario there'll be snow machines firing on the pistes every night.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

My wife took this from the gondola this morning. Lookin good in your winter whites, Telluride.

E: my out-the-car-window shot

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 3, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

my lord I have to visit Telluride some day.

but how to get there

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

private jet obv

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-learjet-45-telluride

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/21/pilots-didnt-know-telluride-airport-was-closed-before-crashing-into-snowplow-ntsb-report-shows/amp/

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 3, 2023

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

kiimo posted:

my lord I have to visit Telluride some day.

but how to get there

Fly into Montrose. Then you can either transfer or rent a car. It's easy! (As long as the weather cooperates)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fly into Durango, the Million Dollar Highway is the most drop-dead gorgeous drive in the country. Especially if you can do it in the next week or two and see the colors.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Goddamn I love living in this part of the country. Middle of nowhere, it's the middle of loving everywhere.

Weekend trips to slot canyons in Kaneb, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Moab / Canyonlands, Santa Fe, El Malpais, Flagstaff. Day trips to Bisti Badlands, Mesa Verde, Canyon of the Ancients, Chaco. Purgatory is fun, cheap, zero lines. Wolf Creek is fun, cheap, no lines, lots of snow. Silverton is Silverton. Telluride is Telluride (definitely not cheap tho).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Eejit posted:

Way too early to worry. Even the resorts in Colorado that have base areas around 10k ft don't get a white ribbon of death until late October. Skiing doesn't really start in earnest until December
Yeah, IDK. I'm no geologist, but I figure the longer it's warm outside, the more thermal energy the mountains pick up, and the less time they have to bleed it off again. This year's winter in France was already pretty poo poo as it was in regards to amounts of snow. the coming season, I'd rather not have it melt unnecessarily from below the snow layer.

--edit: I mean look at Val Thorens. Opens in like 1.5 months. It's like 16°C / 61°F there and everything's still green. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 9, 2023

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Sheriff on a nationwide manhunt for stolen ski boots

https://x.com/SheriffAlert/status/1712535963690582434?s=20

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Do they say what sizes? Have they been molded? I’m always looking for a good deal on boots.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whoever stole those Technicas did that person a favor. It was time to upgrade

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I can't even get anyone to buy my very slightly used boots, stealing boots to resell seems like the worst type of plan.

I caved and bought an ikon pass yesterday before another price increase since I work remote the majority of the week now, and should have plenty of opportunities to make a bunch more trips up to the northeast at least.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

For real though the sheriff account is great, the same people who brought you the large boulder the size of a small boulder

https://x.com/sheriffalert/status/1691278520230555648?s=46&t=kL6Z0A7av6SPDgzujLAtkg

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
computer, enhance...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Unofficial ski sale going on. Just picked up a pair of Mindbenders for $100. Tiny bit of top sheet damage.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Got a pair of ripsticks new for 300

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Skiburger has a bunch of Moment stuff right now for $500 or so freedom dollars.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Seriously if anyone wants a hundred dollar pair of last year’s skis w some top sheet damage hit me up. They’re gonna sell it to the general public next week and they’ll all be gone instantly. They were mostly Nordics Enforcers, Mindbenders, and Mantras but like name your length and it’ll either be $100 or $150 with bindings.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'd bite on a pair of enforcers 88 at 177 or 180 whatever the length around that range is.

Are there any Santa Annas (88 or 93) at 172?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Hello snow people. Ergonomics/kinesiology question: I skied last season for the first time in 15 years and found that while turning I could dig the inside edge of my right ski into the snow with nice, even pressure across the foot, but due to my wonky biomechanics, trying to do the same with my left foot results in all my weight focused on the ball of the foot behind the big toe. I can’t distribute the weight rearward on the foot and it feels way worse and my turns suffer in that direction.

Apart from working on my own internal hip rotation and flexibility, this something that could be alleviated with canting, a wedge, a custom footbed, angling the bindings slightly outward, etc? Which, if any, of those would be the easiest solution for a casual recreational skier?

Thanks!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

I'd bite on a pair of enforcers 88 at 177 or 180 whatever the length around that range is.

Are there any Santa Annas (88 or 93) at 172?

Okay I’ll ask but are you in Colorado? I really don’t wanna mail skis around if I don’t have to.

E: he said no enforcers in that size. here’s the inventory: https://imgur.com/a/DIaF2du
Sorry you can’t see the length well, it’s on the sticker on the nose

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 21, 2023

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Some of the top sheet damage on those fuckers was like “how did you manage to even do that” lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Okay I’ll ask but are you in Colorado? I really don’t wanna mail skis around if I don’t have to.

E: he said no enforcers in that size. here’s the inventory: https://imgur.com/a/DIaF2du

Someone tell me that Volkl Deacon 72s are trash skis, and be quick about it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I want to upgrade my ~8 year old snowboard boots with laces. I’m mostly looking for a refresh but also a pair that is easier/quicker to get on. Is there anything in particular like brands or gimmicks I should try to avoid when shopping? The ones you twist a knob to tighten are what I figured I should trend towards, just because it looks easier than pulling laces & tying behind my car.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I love boa boots so much. I don’t think any of the main brands really have quality issues to speak of so whatever fits your foot between Burton/K2/DC is probably fine.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

imo the only argument for laces is the backcountry, so if you’re not doing that boa boots are fuckin great

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

good to hear, I figured they’d at a minimum be no worse at securing than laces but easier to manage. Incredibly tempted by these Vans boots that I just learned exist but probably best to stick with a standard.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Thirtytwo boots is the correct answer

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Appreciate it!

Not in Colorado so no worries (Boston), after I asked I figured it was gonna be a hassle with shipping.

I did pick up a pair of last season's Nordica Unleashed already. Probably won't even need the enforcers this year!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tweak posted:

good to hear, I figured they’d at a minimum be no worse at securing than laces but easier to manage. Incredibly tempted by these Vans boots that I just learned exist but probably best to stick with a standard.

Vans has been making boots for a long time. They are probably just fine.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I’ve worn 32’s for years and never had any issues other than breaking them in. Last year I tried some Vans and there was pretty much no break in time. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

all my regular shoes are vans so continuing that trend just seemed appropriate