Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

I have literally no one else in my life who would give a poo poo. All the people I golf with barely keep score. But after 3 long years of grinding, I'm finally at single digit. :buddy:

Awesome man! Now get that down to 5 or below! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I think next year I will be establishing a ghin handicap myself for the first time. Although I do plan on submitting scores after playing by myself so it still wouldn’t be legitimate with the new rules. I golf almost every day during the ~7 month season here but 99% of that is either practicing, 9 hole beer/skins leagues, or scrambles. I ended up playing in more leagues than I wanted to this year so next year I’m hoping to have more days when I can play other courses and do 18 hole rounds by the rules and get plenty of legit scores.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
If you're playing alone, but actually following the rules, then just post your scores. Who gives a poo poo either way, really. How do your beer/skins leagues work without you having an actual handicap? Is it all gross or do you have some unofficial handicap that the league keeps for everyone?

My current golf achievement is that I think this is the first time I've ever had the full last 20 posted rounds on my handicap card not have any scores in the 80s. And that includes one round where I took a 9 on a par 4 for reasons I won't bother getting into, but still managed to shoot 78 on the round.

I've got tournament rounds coming up this Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun so I've just cursed myself to shoot in the 80s at least one of those by posting this, but oh well!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm still mad no one lives near me so I can't do a goon golf outing. :smith:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m just jealous of you fuckers playing enough golf to get a handicap. I can barely get to the range once a week.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Oodles posted:

I’m just jealous of you fuckers playing enough golf to get a handicap. I can barely get to the range once a week.

My golf trip is in 3 weeks and I haven't touched a club since the end of July. Its going to be a nightmare hahaha. I was actively showing improvement then too!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I don't even know how you all get tee times. I feel like most of the time I get the golf itch there is either jack poo poo for times or its 2+ weeks out. Golf being turned into an 'event' or something I need to plan for, personally, has made me care about the game a lot less.

/\ edit: I have a yearly AZ golf trip coming up in November that will total the amount of golf I have played all year (5 rounds).

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 2, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Ive heard the same thing from a coworker in TN, there are plenty of public courses near me where I can get a round same day. They aren’t amazing courses but the golf is still good

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

I don't even know how you all get tee times. I feel like most of the time I get the golf itch there is either jack poo poo for times or its 2+ weeks out. Golf being turned into an 'event' or something I need to plan for, personally, has made me care about the game a lot less.

/\ edit: I have a yearly AZ golf trip coming up in November that will total the amount of golf I have played all year (5 rounds).

For any decent course around central florida I have to start looking like you said 2 weeks out. I've also come to the conclusion that any decent course is going to be a $60+ round no matter the time of year. Before covid I could book any of the local courses during the summer in the morning for less than $40, now you're only getting that cheap of a rate if you play in the late afternoon. Thankfully I have a few friends who are members at a really nice club that basically have an open tee time for me every weekend if I wanna play with them, and I usually do and the $70 guest rate is basically what I'd be paying anyways at any of the nicer public courses around here.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Mcqueen posted:

Southeast Michigan has an insane number of public courses. Last time I counted I think I had something like 25 courses within a 30 minute drive. It's still hard to get prime weekend round times, but if you're willing to play not between 9am-1pm on Saturday/Sunday you can get in somewhere.

edit: this is my "home course" https://lakeforestgc.com/, it's $26 to walk on a weekday with my $175 discount card membership.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 2, 2023

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Where I am in NY I probably have 15 courses within a half hour drive and only a few really need tee times booked more than a day or two in advance except for holiday weekends or whatever. Closer to NYC it's a whole different story though.

BCRock posted:

If you're playing alone, but actually following the rules, then just post your scores. Who gives a poo poo either way, really. How do your beer/skins leagues work without you having an actual handicap? Is it all gross or do you have some unofficial handicap that the league keeps for everyone?

My current golf achievement is that I think this is the first time I've ever had the full last 20 posted rounds on my handicap card not have any scores in the 80s. And that includes one round where I took a 9 on a par 4 for reasons I won't bother getting into, but still managed to shoot 78 on the round.

I've got tournament rounds coming up this Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun so I've just cursed myself to shoot in the 80s at least one of those by posting this, but oh well!

Two leagues are Texas Scramble/Shamble format, one is Captain and Mate, and one is just everyone playing their own ball like normal. But most leagues create their own handicap which is just an average of the previous X weeks, sometimes with the highest and lowest scores thrown out. Plus everyone is pretty generous with the gimmes and the course is pretty short and wide open, albeit with very tricky greens. I spend most of the year as a 0 or +1 handicap in my leagues but if I had a real ghin handicap I would probably be like a 4. I've played maybe half a dozen full rounds of golf strictly by the rules this year and my scores have all been in the 70s but I think the hardest course rating was only like a 73, most were 69-71. I've been 3-4 under par for nine holes a few times in league play this year, including a round where i got aggressive with my birdie putt on the last hole to shoot -6 for the first time ever and three putted to finish -4 lol.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 3, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

xsf421 posted:

Southeast Michigan has an insane number of public courses. Last time I counted I think I had something like 25 courses within a 30 minute drive. It's still hard to get prime weekend round times, but if you're willing to play not between 9am-1pm on Saturday/Sunday you can get in somewhere.

edit: this is my "home course" https://lakeforestgc.com/, it's $26 to walk on a weekday with my $175 discount card membership.

Living in SE Michigan is amazing. I have absolutely no excuse to be so bad at golf. I had also looked into joining Red Run or Plum Hollow as a private club, since there's a huge discount for joining while under 35. It's still $15000 as an initiation fee followed by around $1500/month...but then my wife and I had our first kid and lol I can't justify that now

I'm paying a monthly membership for Five Iron Detroit which is a 20-bay Trackman simulator. From 6AM to 4PM I can hit as many balls as I want, which I've taken advantage of on the days where I work downtown. They also have a Monday night league that starts after the kid goes to bed, so that's given me a reason to play at least once a week.

The goal for this winter is to actually practice and make some progress. Turns out that golfing 4-5 times a summer and then curling all winter doesn't do much for improvement.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Anywhere near me only books a week in advance. If I want to play golf I book a tee time at midnight exactly a week ahead of time. Good luck playing at all in season if you don’t do that.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Aggro posted:

Living in SE Michigan is amazing. I have absolutely no excuse to be so bad at golf. I had also looked into joining Red Run or Plum Hollow as a private club, since there's a huge discount for joining while under 35. It's still $15000 as an initiation fee followed by around $1500/month...but then my wife and I had our first kid and lol I can't justify that now

I'm paying a monthly membership for Five Iron Detroit which is a 20-bay Trackman simulator. From 6AM to 4PM I can hit as many balls as I want, which I've taken advantage of on the days where I work downtown. They also have a Monday night league that starts after the kid goes to bed, so that's given me a reason to play at least once a week.

The goal for this winter is to actually practice and make some progress. Turns out that golfing 4-5 times a summer and then curling all winter doesn't do much for improvement.

I'm sad that fire iron opened after I moved to Ypsi. I spent 4 years commuting to downtown 5 days a week, would've been great to hit that up after work.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Oodles posted:

What drills did you do? I’m on the lookout for stuff to work on face angle.

Edit: also, what effect does different lies have on the ball flight? I.e above / below feet etc?

I really like Adam Young's golf content, I heard him on the Chasing Scratch podcast and have read a lot of his articles and bought a few of his video packages.

There are a few different drills using differential practice that I like. I tend to leave the face open at impact so for example I will try to hit 10 shots in a row with a massively closed clubface, then 10 in a row with an open clubface. Basically trying to develop the feel for face angle so that I can call on that feeling to make smaller adjustments.

I'll do some block practice and then switch to trying to hit different targets with different clubs in a way that's more like playing. If you are getting better at deliberate face control you can try adjusting your aim and closing/opening the face a ton to shape the ball onto the target. It's not that you are going to do this while playing, just that you are experimenting a lot and increasing your awareness of your own swing.

Then towards the end of a session I might play a game where I see how many shots out of 10 I can get within a certain angular distance of the target.

There's also the classic nail drill where you imagine a nail through the ball and imagine hamming the nail at the position and direction it's at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANBy-b_sAE

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Anywhere near me only books a week in advance. If I want to play golf I book a tee time at midnight exactly a week ahead of time. Good luck playing at all in season if you don’t do that.

Same deal except thankfully it’s 8pm not midnight.

I booked a tee time for this Saturday and then stayed on the site for 90 seconds afterwards just refreshing the page. Every tee time before 3pm was gone by 8:02.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mine is pretty easy to get a slot, and it also allows you to join someone else’s group if it’s not already a four ball.

Members can book 10 days in advance, and general public can book 7 days in advance.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A new indoor place with trackman's is opening up about 10 mins from me. Going to check it out when it officially opens but if it all looks good, then winter golf will be on :lando:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Just finished my third season playing in a league (and third year of playing golf) and while my game has gotten a lot better than when I started, I am still a 25-30 handicap with a lot of inconsistency in my ball striking.

I played this year with the swing I had but would like to spend the upcoming offseason getting rid of some of my bad habits; in particular a very "armsy" swing and not much shoulder/hip rotation.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and taken some lessons but I am still really struggling with keeping my lead arm straight.

The strange thing to me is that even when I try to really exaggerate something in my swing, like keeping my front arm straight at all costs, or taking a shorter backswing, the resulting video of my swing looks no different than my usual swing.

Not really sure where to go from here, I spent a frustrating hour hitting into a net yesterday and felt like I made no progress despite every effort to keep my lead arm straight. Any suggestions for how to address this?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Buddy, if I could make myself better at golf I wouldn’t be shooting a 105 every round.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Parker Lewis posted:

Any suggestions for how to address this?

Get a lesson from a PGA pro, there really isn't any replacement for lessons.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Parker Lewis posted:

Just finished my third season playing in a league (and third year of playing golf) and while my game has gotten a lot better than when I started, I am still a 25-30 handicap with a lot of inconsistency in my ball striking.

I played this year with the swing I had but would like to spend the upcoming offseason getting rid of some of my bad habits; in particular a very "armsy" swing and not much shoulder/hip rotation.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and taken some lessons but I am still really struggling with keeping my lead arm straight.

The strange thing to me is that even when I try to really exaggerate something in my swing, like keeping my front arm straight at all costs, or taking a shorter backswing, the resulting video of my swing looks no different than my usual swing.

Not really sure where to go from here, I spent a frustrating hour hitting into a net yesterday and felt like I made no progress despite every effort to keep my lead arm straight. Any suggestions for how to address this?

Are you shifting weight through your hips/legs as you’re swinging?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Post a video of your swing

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Parker Lewis posted:

YouTube golf is great for finding drills after you have a lesson and your instructor tells you what to work on. It's terrible for figuring out how to fix your swing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
If you're committed to the online route for tips, I recommend Monte Scheinblum's site Rebellion Golf, as at least that has some full series of instructional videos vs one-off "fix my slice" "cure my early extension" whatever videos on youtube. Better to commit to one single source of swing theory so you're at least reinforcing the same movement patterns and movements that complement each other.

All the one-off golf tips/swing fixes come down to "don't do x, do y", which sucks because 1) sometimes doing 'y' exposes some other flaw in your own personal swing and your tips video has no explanation for how to deal with that and 2) there are multiple ways and feels to accomplish a single swing change, and what one golfer might do and feel to e.g. correct their lack of hip rotation might not work at all for you.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I watched six different “ONE SECRET MOVE TO ADD 30 YARDS TO YOUR DRIVE!” youtube videos last night so I’m excited to rip a 500 yard bomb tonight.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I watched six different “ONE SECRET MOVE TO ADD 30 YARDS TO YOUR DRIVE!” youtube videos last night so I’m excited to rip a 500 yard bomb tonight.

You were already moving it 320 by my math so this just seems a little self-masturbatory.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’d just like to be able to hit the little white ball first, and not rip a divot before the ball.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Double post.

Anyone else find their high lofted clubs go straighter than their lower ones? PW and 9 iron, relatively straight 7 to Driver all over the shop.

Orange PW, Yellow 9, light Blue 7, Green 6, Purple 5 and Blue driver.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Oodles posted:

Double post.

Anyone else find their high lofted clubs go straighter than their lower ones? PW and 9 iron, relatively straight 7 to Driver all over the shop.

Orange PW, Yellow 9, light Blue 7, Green 6, Purple 5 and Blue driver.

Yeah that'll happen as more loft is more forgiving.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
its almost like the further the ball gets away from you the harder it is to hit

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
5 degrees open on a 0 loft club would go 5 degrees to the right, as you add loft, less and less of the left-right component is delivered to the ball, if you had a 90 degree lofted club, the face couldn't even be physically open or closed and would add 0 degrees left-right at impact no matter what. Club path would still impart some spin though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My second round in a row with a player (2 different guys) who had elaborate pre shot routines and wildly inconsistent results.

They had one major thing in common: after lining up, practice swings, etc..., they would address the ball, then freeze in place for almost ten seconds. One of the old guys I was playing with just asked the first guy what he was doing, and he said he was going through his pre-shot checklist.

Do they not realize that attempting to execute an athletic maneuver like a golf swing after standing rigidly in place for ten seconds is just not going to set them up for success? Both had some really nice shots, but also lost multiple balls. The guy today even did it putting. He was an inconsistent putter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This dumb thing has no right to be interesting but it might be?

https://twitter.com/kyleportercbs/status/1709907708852224302?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My first thought was how does indoor golf work.

Then after reading about it it’s on a simulator, boooooooooooo

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Plank Walker posted:

5 degrees open on a 0 loft club would go 5 degrees to the right, as you add loft, less and less of the left-right component is delivered to the ball, if you had a 90 degree lofted club, the face couldn't even be physically open or closed and would add 0 degrees left-right at impact no matter what. Club path would still impart some spin though.

Time to get a 90* driver to fix my slice.
🤔

Lmao Lewis, I guess investing in bad sports it a better tax write off than a private jet.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 5, 2023

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Oodles posted:

My first thought was how does indoor golf work.

Then after reading about it it’s on a simulator, boooooooooooo

It says they have a specially built arena so I would guess they have to do the simulator for tee shots, but I bet they can do some sort of hybrid play where it's truly live action from like... 150 yards in

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rogue Elephant posted:

It says they have a specially built arena so I would guess they have to do the simulator for tee shots, but I bet they can do some sort of hybrid play where it's truly live action from like... 150 yards in

Every green being the same seems... weird. Unless they are going all out with some sort of dynamic synthetic green where they can at least change the slope if not the overall shape.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Every green being the same seems... weird. Unless they are going all out with some sort of dynamic synthetic green where they can at least change the slope if not the overall shape.

They exist, and they're cool as heck

https://www.fullswinggolf.com/golf-simulator/virtual-putting-green/

https://www.puttview.com/products/indoor/moving-series/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

GoodGood got one of those putting greens in their new warehouse for practicing different breaks and slopes etc. Someone is selling one on the golfwrx marketplace for $75,000 too, don’t miss out!