Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't care about the story or the characters, so I was happy to skip the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is there any way to turn off the pause and notification when C4 automatically steals an item? It makes her basically unusable for auto battles

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I played a lot of D1 and D2 and then skipped to D5 on the Switch. It's okay, I have fun with it, but my primary engagement with it is the item world and leveling up people. The LOTS of extra functions between D2 and D5 have me kind of on autopilot and confused. Not sure if I'm even being very effective with things!

So part of me wants to just nab D7--the backdrop alone seems more interesting to me. But I'm primarily in it for the gameplay. Is it worth dropping D5 for?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Finish D5 first, I'd say.

D7 is equivalent in quality so far, which is high praise from me, given I really really liked D5, and thought D6 sucked. I don't think there's any mechanics from D5 that aren't in D7.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Deki posted:

Finish D5 first, I'd say.

D7 is equivalent in quality so far, which is high praise from me, given I really really liked D5, and thought D6 sucked. I don't think there's any mechanics from D5 that aren't in D7.

The reported optimizations of item world, as well as how much faster items level up due to them (albeit, with more difficulty) is what intrigues me the most, tbh.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I loved 5, but 6 felt sort of just… I dunno. It ran like poo poo on the Switch and then having auto battle in a game is not appealing. I like number go up, but if I’m just having the game play itself while I go do other things, what’s the point? I want to make number go up myself. Leaving my switch on auto for 3 hours or just using a trainer to set the numbers higher is roughly equivalent in my brain if I’m not actively playing the game to do it, and it felt like the auto battle was pretty necessary from the jump in 6.

I’m interested to see what people say about 7 and am following the thread.

Also numbers immediately jumping into the millions just sort of made the numbers lose all sense. It’s one thing if I’m doing it at the end, but they start ramping up so quickly in 6 that it just doesn’t feel good?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

6 felt unfinished like they had to get it out the door to keep the lights on, they also clearly learned a good bit since 6 was the first 3D game it's entirely possible they realized they coded themselves into a problem and the only real fix was a complete overhaul so they shipped the mess out the door to fund 7.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I decided to mess around in the item world pretty early on because I got really into it in 5. And now I’m like level 100 and I’m in chapter 5.

Whoops.

I kinda miss being able to just dive into the same item for hours though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Also numbers immediately jumping into the millions just sort of made the numbers lose all sense. It’s one thing if I’m doing it at the end, but they start ramping up so quickly in 6 that it just doesn’t feel good?

Yeah, hitting level 100 after like, the first stage or two just meant that the higher numbers aren't actually meaningfully different. The leveling curve is the same there's just more zeros attached to it so it becomes more annoying to read.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

HellOnEarth posted:

I decided to mess around in the item world pretty early on because I got really into it in 5. And now I’m like level 100 and I’m in chapter 5.

Whoops.

Hey, that’s what the Cheat Shop is for, I got stupid overleveled doing D5 and DD2’s item worlds and just boosted enemy levels in the main story to compensate.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Are there no hidden chests in the base map in 7?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I got the pricey version just to support the developer.

I've been really burnt out at work so I didn't play enough to report back yet, but I did have the game lock up on a full screen alt tab.

Gonna try full screen windowed in the future and see if that helps.

I forgot how steal chance/thieves work like I do every game (so I alt-tabbed to look it up) and wondered if +hit did anything but I think that's been over a decade ago if it was ever a thing. It's just based on level.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Floor is lava posted:

Are there no hidden chests in the base map in 7?

There's a few if you revisit old maps via sightseeing

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Did they revert the weird crazy huge numbers out of the gate thing?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Yes, you will be doing 20 damage against 40 hp enemies on the first map, no more silly suffix on every number to make it seem like you are doing millions of damage all the time.

I really need to just give in and blitz the story with a couple overpowered characters instead of trying to keep my huge roster of costumed generics at equal levels, at least until I have unlocked a good leveling map.

Am I misremembering, or did they make the store much less useable? I feel like in previous games it remembered what character you were on in the equipment preview, so you could quickly update one character's equipment, switch to the next and do it again. Now it always starts at the first ordered character and if you will end up sweeping through your roster over and over if you don't exit and re-order them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Barring a last minute villain shakeup (I'm about halfway through the campaign) I'm lolling that the big bad in this game is basically America.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deki posted:

Barring a last minute villain shakeup (I'm about halfway through the campaign) I'm lolling that the big bad in this game is basically America.

I didn't get much time to play last night, got to chapter 2 and that was exactly where I thought they were going.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

HellOnEarth posted:

Whoops.

I started grinding martial world level 1 in world 5 and my soloer is around lvl 350 with everybody in my boot camp squad getting dragged behind rn

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saxophone posted:

I liked the super high levels idea at first because in other games going from 1 to 9999 in a single action was the norm in post game team building so I figured it meant hitting max level would take time, since you might figure out a way to go from 1 to 50000 or whatever instead of 9999 in one action, but instead it was the same rate of leveling so you went from 1 to max in 1 move anyways.

And adding Rakshasa mode just made carnage entirely pointless because why spend dozens of hours on Carnage instead of an hour or two grinding up a team that could unlock Rakshasa instead?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
How's Switch performance, if anyone knows? D6 tended to run choppy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Caidin posted:

Reviews mentioned a bit of choppiness on high-particle effect spells.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
i find it wild you can control the game with a mouse now

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I appreciate that Thief cheese is more convenient than ever. First four chapters were a lot of fun, excited to get some more in tonight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caidin posted:

It's not perfect but it's a huge step up from how D6 ran. Also there's a demo so you can see it in action for yourself.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Caidin posted:

Fine, the AI sometimes takes a weirdly large chunk of time to process it's turn.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this first giant boss who can one-shot half my team each turn, including my own giant guy, from anywhere on the map?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

FractalSandwich posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this first giant boss who can one-shot half my team each turn, including my own giant guy, from anywhere on the map?

Just ran into that too. Seems the solution is to grind up your levels & gear (or have the DLC characters). The annoying part is that there doesn't seem to be any good map to grind on before that, so I'm just running through one that seems less annoying.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FractalSandwich posted:

Giants can hit in a 5x5 aoe so spread out. When he's big, the more units you have out, the more defense you have. If you can hold out 1-2 rounds you can go giant yourself and beat the poo poo out of him.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I did it by only deploying a few units on my first turn and spreading out. Did have to Gigantify with two units to beat him though

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Giants can hit in a 5x5 aoe so spread out. When he's big, the more units you have out, the more defense you have. If you can hold out 1-2 rounds you can go giant yourself and beat the poo poo out of him.
That's what I was doing. My strongest unit only hits for about 30% of the boss' health, then gets killed by him. My two strongest together can do maybe 50%. I had the rest of my team throw my third and fourth into attack range, but they can't even dent him.

I really don't want to grind this early in the game. Will this be a pattern for later bosses as well?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Enemy giants tend to prioritize punching your giants, so I like to buff them up so they can survive.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FractalSandwich posted:

That's what I was doing. My strongest unit only hits for about 30% of the boss' health, then gets killed by him. My two strongest together can do maybe 50%. I had the rest of my team throw my third and fourth into attack range, but they can't even dent him.

I really don't want to grind this early in the game. Will this be a pattern for later bosses as well?

Just to be clear, are you making your strongest unit giant when the bar fills?

I didn't have anyone but the giant hit him, just turtled around the base panel until I could use it.

Also, while I haven't beaten the game, so far no other boss fight has you up against a giant off the bat

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Just to be clear, are you making your strongest unit giant when the bar fills?

I didn't have anyone but the giant hit him, just turtled around the base panel until I could use it.

Also, while I haven't beaten the game, so far no other boss fight has you up against a giant off the bat
I hid him in the base panel and sent two random guys out as a sacrifice on the first turn, and then got him out and transformed on the second turn, yeah. When that didn't work I tried using the rest of the team too, and it made zero difference.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FractalSandwich posted:

It's Disgaea, Get a character to 10x their level and one shot them. :black101:

(I have not played D7 yet)

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

That mission is definitely the most annoying so far (through 5 chapters now). The advice of "stack a single character" is pretty reasonable though - you should have gotten some items that substantially improve your defense, and there are 30 mana bills to pass in the Assembly that improve the contents of the shop. You can also try to get lucky and unlock the healing shop gacha with a bill, which will give you out-of-band items for spending money healing up your characters.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Fun fact: Right now more Steam players have the "Reach Level 99" achievement (39.2%) than the "Clear Ep. 4" achievement (36.4%).

More players have reached level 9999 (27.1%) than have cleared episode 7 (26.1%).

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 5, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just ground out a few levels until I could sacrifice most of my team and two-shot the boss with my two strongest units. Super annoying, though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm slowly making my way to that level. Any hot tips that'll minimize frustration, please spell them out here.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just overlevel, but if you unlock the Cheat Shop you can just jack up the enemy levels in 1-3 to make it relatively painless since there’s an easy geo puzzle to leave the enemies nearly dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
The easiest way to beat the chapter 2 boss is to get the Pleinair DLC and have her jumbify and one-shot the boss with her jacked-up gun.