Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Skaven are getting their range refresh one Warband at a time.

Thankfully, the Warbands are really nice. The Eshin one in particular looks like it will be super fun in a game of AOS with the assassin being able to sneak in and out of combat thanks to his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Man I wish my local Underworlds scene was still alive. I just went and organized and sleeved all the cards for the game.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Muir posted:

Man I wish my local Underworlds scene was still alive. I just went and organized and sleeved all the cards for the game.
I'm starting to rebuild my UW community one game at a time. I just said that I'm going to show up with warbands and decks at the local store once a week and the old people that used to play are starting to be there too.

It went from being me alone a few months ago to at least five regulars now. Still far from the 20+ players that used to play on tournaments, but better than nothing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah, I ran the monthly meet up at my local store for over a year, getting maybe 1-3 people each time, trying to keep it alive after a couple people moved away. The breaking point was when I organized a tournament, with prize support I provided, multiple people RSVP’d to it, and then nobody showed up.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

a7m2 posted:

I'm thinking of getting an AoS army but I want something where a lower model count is viable as I don't want to paint a ton of models. Seraphim look fun to paint. Is a low model count viable for them? What other armies would work well? (open to most factions except human ones). I know Gloomspite Gitz supposedly work well but not a huge fan of the way the big units look

Maggotkin are pretty good for this, especially if you lean into Mortals and/or go Pusgoyle heavy.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I just got myself huge collection of underworlds second hand (gnarlwood, harrowdeep, direchasm, nightvault, shadespire and starter set + 10 or so bands) so I think I will push for more whu in my lgs. There was a moment underworlds got really popular but then it faltered. Now that you can play rivals format and don't have to buy everything it should be way easier to get people in

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/02/warhammer-day-is-coming-and-so-are-all-these-juicy-reveals/

It's warhammer day time, and with that, a preview stream.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm looking forward to the old world reveal being a single resin miniature

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Lucinice posted:

I'm looking forward to the old world reveal being a single resin miniature

They said there will be Big News, so maybe we'll get two.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

1½, one regular and then one monster.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They need to make amends. Only announcing Chorfs will do.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Maps for the maps god.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

my favorite thing about the old world is how every announcement seems to crush peoples spirits

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I frankly only care about aos related stuff so if we are moaning I want more WHU news and looks like we are not getting any this time

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Almost made my choice but I need to know one more thing: Which is more fun to paint: Gloomspite Gitz or Seraphon? ty

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I haven't painted seraphon but gitz are my favorite army that I've ever painted. Weird little Jim Henson villains. Squigs especially are fun, I probably wouldn't enjoy painting a bunch of stabbas.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

a7m2 posted:

Almost made my choice but I need to know one more thing: Which is more fun to paint: Gloomspite Gitz or Seraphon? ty

Squig Knights are the very essence of a fun painting project.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Would the Dawnbringers: Gloomspite Gitz – Braggit’s Bottle-snatchaz box set be a good place to start then? It seems a bit more focused than the Vanguard box set

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

a7m2 posted:

Would the Dawnbringers: Gloomspite Gitz – Braggit’s Bottle-snatchaz box set be a good place to start then? It seems a bit more focused than the Vanguard box set

The Rabble-Rowza is pretty poo poo (though it has some weird tech as an allied unit in stuff like Sons of Behemat) but the Gobbapalooza and Boingrots (I wouldn't build them as Hoppers currently unless you really want to use the army of renown) are staples of pretty much every decent Squig list and even quite a few mixed Gloomspite / Trogg lists.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Rabble-Rowza is pretty poo poo (though it has some weird tech as an allied unit in stuff like Sons of Behemat) but the Gobbapalooza and Boingrots (I wouldn't build them as Hoppers currently unless you really want to use the army of renown) are staples of pretty much every decent Squig list and even quite a few mixed Gloomspite / Trogg lists.

Would you say it's still worth it despite the HQ not being good? There's also a bunch of cave squigs. Since I've never played AOS I find it difficult to judge

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 4, 2023

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Looking at the sprue, it wouldn’t be too hard to convert the hero into a regular Loonboss. Just leave off the skull headdress, maybe replace his bare head with the big hat champion head from the squig hoppers kit (which you wouldn’t be using if you make the boingrot bounders).

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean its just one dude and his rules will likely change over time. JUst relegate him to display shelf for time being and use everything else in that box

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

a7m2 posted:

Would you say it's still worth it despite the HQ not being good? There's also a bunch of cave squigs. Since I've never played AOS I find it difficult to judge

He'll probably get buffed at some point and he's basically free when you compare the box to MSRP prices for the units, so I'd say go for it if you like Squigs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Running sub optimal stuff is perfectly fine unless you are going to a tournament and taking it seriously, or just have a toxic rear end local meta.

Like many games, just paint a variety of cool things and have a good time. It can be worth keeping an eye on the larger meta just to make sure you are not playing something abysmal but to start just build and paint some factions Vanguard box and go from there. 1k points is a fine place to start with AoS.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I can't speak to fun, but if you're lazy, scales practically paint themselves with contrast and drybrushing. I am thoroughly mediocre, and my lizardmen look great.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Also unless you're playing in strict circumstances you can just tell your opponent "this guy is just a shaman or boss or unit champ etc"

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

My opponent will be mostly playing Stormcast. What should I look out for and what works well against them? I think outnumbering them is probably good but I want to try to keep the model count low because I have plenty to paint as it stands. Mortal wounds and rend? Going for a squig focused list so I'll have access to rend and some mortal wounds.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

a7m2 posted:

My opponent will be mostly playing Stormcast. What should I look out for and what works well against them? I think outnumbering them is probably good but I want to try to keep the model count low because I have plenty to paint as it stands. Mortal wounds and rend? Going for a squig focused list so I'll have access to rend and some mortal wounds.

Almost literally anything.

SCE are weak to things with high rend and exceptionally weak to things that deal mortals, so you're on the right track.

Take some cheap chaff to slow down any melee hammers you might come up against (if you can lock Fulminators into combat they're effectively neutered), plus something maneuverable to either stomp up to crossbows in a hurry or to counterplay deep strike shenanigans.

After you break his favorite toy, go stand on the circles and play your tactics and you'll win every time.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you!

I want to try to get to 1000pts initially. So far I own:

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig - 130
Boingrot Bounderz - 150
Boingrot Bounderz - 150
Squig Herd - 140
Gobbapalooza - 170

That's 740 points. I'm looking for one more thing to buy. Preferably low model count but if something like Stabbas are going to make or break the list, I think I'm up for speed painting them.

Adding Mangler Squigs gets me to exactly 1000 but maybe there's something better?

I also want to get a Loonshrine but that'll come later.

e: I just realized I forgot about my Underworld warbands: I also own Mollog's Mob but I'm guessing that's not a great fit, and Grinkrak's Looncourt which I also am not sure is going to synergize well

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

some skeleboys

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Hey I know that palette

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sasha_d3ath posted:

Hey I know that palette

:smuggo::carol:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

some skeleboys

Gorgeous work!!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/13/liberate-the-age-of-sigmar-with-fresh-thunderstrike-style-in-realms-of-ruin/

Call it a hunch but I'm getting the feeling that they're going to announce updated version of the 1st ed SCE kits before long. Possibly for 4th ed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

If Skaven aren't the 4th ed antagonists I'm starting a loving riot.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/13/liberate-the-age-of-sigmar-with-fresh-thunderstrike-style-in-realms-of-ruin/

Call it a hunch but I'm getting the feeling that they're going to announce updated version of the 1st ed SCE kits before long. Possibly for 4th ed.

Total war Warhammer has better graphics than this and it came out in 2016

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

OK time to install demo and call my friend if she can postpone her birthday party

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

OK time to install demo and call my friend if she can postpone her birthday party

:thunk:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Hey I havent been exicted for a game for quite a long time (and tw3 being poo poo show I can use fun warhammer game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I hope so, seeing the dumpy potato men liberators next to the much better Thunderstruck stuff is very jarring.