Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Okay, so first things first, there's a lot to unpack here. You've made the same accusatory points before; so to break them down:

1. Slavery is bad. No one here is disputing this, you brought this up before. Do you feel it is inevitable that technology will progress to the point robots will become sentient? Well putting aside that there's currently no sentient robots and no one is suggesting sending sentient robots/androids against their will, doesn't this contradict your overall implicit position that technology will not progress to the point that space travel will become safe, economical, convenient, comfortable? What is your actually point here? Do you actually think sending robots to assist humans as a labour force in outerspace or (in "present day present time" Earth mind you!) terrestrially is morally wrong? Please enlighten us as to what you mean.

2. It's called luxury gay space communism comrade. You keep insisting that space will be terrible for any human to have to experience. And I've absolutely addressed this before. We can make space travel, as soon as their is a need for it to be, extremely comfortable and luxurious. In Zubrin's Mars Direct book he even addresses in great detail all the ways we can make the trip to Mars even in a "capsule" (which would be larger and more comfortable than you currently are giving credit for) like pretty reasonably comfortable. NASA planners are pretty well aware of peoples psychological needs for creature comforts and whether its Mars or "Alpha Centauri" we can make it comfortable. Can you please address this point that we can make a spacecraft as roomy and comfortable as it needs to be? Like you're aware in a hypothetical Mars Direct mission the crew would have walking space, a 70" plasma screen TV with Netflix and Adventure Time* and the internet right? If they're going to be spending 180 days, are you seriously suggesting, that comfort would not be taken into account? Have you need read the multiple posts I've already made explaining this?

*To be clear this is a joke from Hellsing Abridged, I have no doubt there will be some sort of entertainment and semi-internet access though. But you can definitely fit flat screen tv's and probably Xbox too.

3. Okay, I was clearly using and referring to inductive reasoning as a concept. Which does for the record apply to humans; wikipedia has an example if you want to know more. But in anycase, I wasn't saying "By proof of induction ergo qed I am right", I was describing the thought process or the broader idea of my argument is that given the evidence, that technology, economies, etc, have basically through all human history has had a certain broad trend, we can assume with more probability than not, that it will continue. This is a reasonable to make, which requires you, if you wish to dispute this, to do more legwork than you've currently done, which is what I am trying to say.

4. I think you misinterpreted the point of the quote, I never suggested Alpha Centauri was a good place to send humans to colonize unless it turns out to have a habitable planet just floating there out of sight? And to be clear, I put "Alpha Centauri" in quotes a few paragraphs above to reference this fact. No one is suggesting humans should, or would, go out of their way to colonize uninhabitable planets in other star systems; which to be clear is a separate argument from the case for terraforming Mars or Venus because they're in our solar system and only a few months away vs being decades away. The point of the quote was to illustrate my description of my argument as using inductive reasoning. Can you please respond to what I am actually saying.

Anyways, can you please either acknowledge the points I made, and either retract the arguments that don't seem relevant; or actually elaborate on why you think these points are relevant to the discussion and address my responses to them.

So can you please make a new argument, and not the same argument, that I've already address at least twice now.

i assume you're posting this from space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
was shopping at the store today, and the extremely warm and muggy air a few days into October crack pinged me pretty hard, and I basically disassociated staring at the piles of stacked pumpkins while sweating.

like a few things that sort of got to me, between this and the lack of pollinators in my garden this year compared to a few years back.

really weird!!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The Oldest Man posted:

i assume you're posting this from space

So putting aside just how flippant and clearly uninterested your post here is; I don't think you've actually asserted at any point an actual affirmative position. In addition to just completely bringing up things completely irrelevant to the discussion and completely out of left field you've only responded a double negative sort of claim in response to something I've said and instead of clearly laying out your argument you've been very vague and appealing to non-sequitors. [...] My own argument has been pretty clear; there will be a manned presence in space in the far future, it's pretty simple.

Also if you read the relevant chapters in Rise and Fall of the Great Powers you clearly see that the EU, USSR, USA, China, India, Japan, etc all put hundreds of billions of dollars into all sorts of relevant R&D; such as agriculture, but there's not been much visible progress in our scientific or technological advancements in agricultural or horticultural science; but by any objective measurement this is relevant research and needed funding, since being forced to rely on food imports is a massive national security issue and increasing yields is important to have the capital funds for industrialization and development. By this standard the government is entirely wasting all R&D if fancy flashy results can't be secured, and cool experiments like having shrimp on exercise treadmills is a waste of money?

Well for one, I think more money for NASA overall is for more than just more manned missions, I dunno if you think that's all I've been suggesting but that isn't true. Second however that being said I do think a massive increase in funding for manned missions would provide considerable long term benefit; some of which we couldn't possibly predict; because scientific and technological progress isn't like advancing the tech tree in a game of Civilization.

Like you seem to be suggesting a quaint variation of the confucian bureaucracy's argument to the Emperor; that funding expensive manned overseas missions would provide no benefit to the people of china. And we saw how that worked out for them.

Basically there is a societal "energy" societies have; to be innovative and to remain innovative, as a society you need to be doing things and reaching further and higher; or else you'll grow complacent and fall behind. We see this in every great power that has ever risen; they all eventually decline and fall once they lose their will and become directionless.

Like a frontier community on Mars would be extremely innovative, and probably lead to a split human community with their own values and focus on surviving under difficult conditions, creating a successor civilization better able to lead humanity to achieving its manifest destiny to spread across every star.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

So putting aside just how flippant and clearly uninterested your post here is; I don't think you've actually asserted at any point an actual affirmative position. In addition to just completely bringing up things completely irrelevant to the discussion and completely out of left field you've only responded a double negative sort of claim in response to something I've said and instead of clearly laying out your argument you've been very vague and appealing to non-sequitors. [...] My own argument has been pretty clear; there will be a manned presence in space in the far future, it's pretty simple.

Also if you read the relevant chapters in Rise and Fall of the Great Powers you clearly see that the EU, USSR, USA, China, India, Japan, etc all put hundreds of billions of dollars into all sorts of relevant R&D; such as agriculture, but there's not been much visible progress in our scientific or technological advancements in agricultural or horticultural science; but by any objective measurement this is relevant research and needed funding, since being forced to rely on food imports is a massive national security issue and increasing yields is important to have the capital funds for industrialization and development. By this standard the government is entirely wasting all R&D if fancy flashy results can't be secured, and cool experiments like having shrimp on exercise treadmills is a waste of money?

Well for one, I think more money for NASA overall is for more than just more manned missions, I dunno if you think that's all I've been suggesting but that isn't true. Second however that being said I do think a massive increase in funding for manned missions would provide considerable long term benefit; some of which we couldn't possibly predict; because scientific and technological progress isn't like advancing the tech tree in a game of Civilization.

Like you seem to be suggesting a quaint variation of the confucian bureaucracy's argument to the Emperor; that funding expensive manned overseas missions would provide no benefit to the people of china. And we saw how that worked out for them.

Basically there is a societal "energy" societies have; to be innovative and to remain innovative, as a society you need to be doing things and reaching further and higher; or else you'll grow complacent and fall behind. We see this in every great power that has ever risen; they all eventually decline and fall once they lose their will and become directionless.

Like a frontier community on Mars would be extremely innovative, and probably lead to a split human community with their own values and focus on surviving under difficult conditions, creating a successor civilization better able to lead humanity to achieving its manifest destiny to spread across every star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hn3AgKI6s

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The biggest SYQ that ever SYQ'd

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Stereotype posted:

this is why I refuse to get my kids a phone

just get them Nokia bricks if need be

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Banana Man posted:

was shopping at the store today, and the extremely warm and muggy air a few days into October crack pinged me pretty hard, and I basically disassociated staring at the piles of stacked pumpkins while sweating.

like a few things that sort of got to me, between this and the lack of pollinators in my garden this year compared to a few years back.

really weird!!

Have you considered importing polinators that enjoy warm and muggy air for your (presumably) papaya and banana trees?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Banana Man posted:

really weird!!

I picked a good year to read under the dome. smoky warm fall, must be aliens!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

cash crab posted:

a friend of mine told me her friend from back home is now having kids with the express intention of, and i quote, "making sure there are good people in the world who can help," because this woman apparently believes liberal values can be passed down genetically and thinks that her kid, somehow, will be able to reverse climate change and increasingly tense global relations

lol

cannibalizing the wastelands, kindly

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

someone strap the sea ice down better on New Zealand's roof so it stops losing it

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm a biologist lmao, I promise the octopuses would also destroy the planet if they lived more than 10 years and invented steam engines. The problem is genes don't give a poo poo about preserving the environment 200 years in the future, they care about eating cheeseburgers and getting laid right now and anything after you nut is pointless to worry about. But the octopuses probably wouldn't do it via robber barons wearing top hats and calling Pinkertons on their striking octopus workers.

one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

turn on ur monitor

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Okay, so first things first, there's a lot to unpack here. You've made the same accusatory points before; so to break them down:

1. Slavery is bad. No one here is disputing this, you brought this up before. Do you feel it is inevitable that technology will progress to the point robots will become sentient? Well putting aside that there's currently no sentient robots and no one is suggesting sending sentient robots/androids against their will, doesn't this contradict your overall implicit position that technology will not progress to the point that space travel will become safe, economical, convenient, comfortable? What is your actually point here? Do you actually think sending robots to assist humans as a labour force in outerspace or (in "present day present time" Earth mind you!) terrestrially is morally wrong? Please enlighten us as to what you mean.

2. It's called luxury gay space communism comrade. You keep insisting that space will be terrible for any human to have to experience. And I've absolutely addressed this before. We can make space travel, as soon as their is a need for it to be, extremely comfortable and luxurious. In Zubrin's Mars Direct book he even addresses in great detail all the ways we can make the trip to Mars even in a "capsule" (which would be larger and more comfortable than you currently are giving credit for) like pretty reasonably comfortable. NASA planners are pretty well aware of peoples psychological needs for creature comforts and whether its Mars or "Alpha Centauri" we can make it comfortable. Can you please address this point that we can make a spacecraft as roomy and comfortable as it needs to be? Like you're aware in a hypothetical Mars Direct mission the crew would have walking space, a 70" plasma screen TV with Netflix and Adventure Time* and the internet right? If they're going to be spending 180 days, are you seriously suggesting, that comfort would not be taken into account? Have you need read the multiple posts I've already made explaining this?

*To be clear this is a joke from Hellsing Abridged, I have no doubt there will be some sort of entertainment and semi-internet access though. But you can definitely fit flat screen tv's and probably Xbox too.

3. Okay, I was clearly using and referring to inductive reasoning as a concept. Which does for the record apply to humans; wikipedia has an example if you want to know more. But in anycase, I wasn't saying "By proof of induction ergo qed I am right", I was describing the thought process or the broader idea of my argument is that given the evidence, that technology, economies, etc, have basically through all human history has had a certain broad trend, we can assume with more probability than not, that it will continue. This is a reasonable to make, which requires you, if you wish to dispute this, to do more legwork than you've currently done, which is what I am trying to say.

4. I think you misinterpreted the point of the quote, I never suggested Alpha Centauri was a good place to send humans to colonize unless it turns out to have a habitable planet just floating there out of sight? And to be clear, I put "Alpha Centauri" in quotes a few paragraphs above to reference this fact. No one is suggesting humans should, or would, go out of their way to colonize uninhabitable planets in other star systems; which to be clear is a separate argument from the case for terraforming Mars or Venus because they're in our solar system and only a few months away vs being decades away. The point of the quote was to illustrate my description of my argument as using inductive reasoning. Can you please respond to what I am actually saying.

Anyways, can you please either acknowledge the points I made, and either retract the arguments that don't seem relevant; or actually elaborate on why you think these points are relevant to the discussion and address my responses to them.

So can you please make a new argument, and not the same argument, that I've already address at least twice now.

okay this might have topped it

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
what in tarnation

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

hasn't rained in a while so i was outside watering stuff under the white haze of canada forest smoke. one of the lizard friends was watching the water to catch a drink, not knowing what a well or electric pump is. a giant just waving around a magic tube that makes drinkable water spray from my fingertips. drink and eat ants and grow big and feathered my fellow invasive.
wet one, happy one

a cricket got into our bed and i accidentally kung-fu chopped its leg off, then took it outside while apologizing fiercely

oh yeah uhh biosphere: our queen left the hive this summer, rip our bees. no one wants to reproduce anymore

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

What was the prompt for this one?

"ChatGPT, write a hostile forums post response to someone who mistakenly thinks space travel will never be practical, in the style of a debate club nerd"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Xaris posted:

hmm... big yikesaroo

not sure there's anything left to say anymore tbh

exactly

i can't do anything about this global warming, no one reading it can or will either

might as well be telling everybody how many fairies can fit on a pinhead

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
oh it’s syq, that really threw me for a loop lmao

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Microplastics posted:

What was the prompt for this one?

"ChatGPT, write a hostile forums post response to someone who mistakenly thinks space travel will never be practical, in the style of a debate club nerd"

Space travel will never be practical. Let's do this, a multi page multi day derail yet again. It's relevant since people will increasingly turn to the fantasy of escape as the earth degrades.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the great filter is me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh I agree, but you gotta tell ChatGPT "mistakenly" so it knows what to write when cosplaying an elon-pilled idiot

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Fell Mood posted:

Let's do this, a multi page multi day derail yet again.

It’s not like there’s anything else to do in here:

Egg Moron posted:

i can't do anything about this global warming, no one reading it can or will either

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I wonder if we can get over 2C this year?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Puppy Burner posted:

I wonder if we can get over 2C this year?

I'm hopeful

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Everyone should read Aurora by KSR, especially the tech bros.

Love to also have a warm breeze on 4th October making going out in t-shirt fine.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
if we put our minds to it and give it our all I think we can :)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

justcallhimdragon posted:

oh yeah uhh biosphere: our queen left the hive this summer, rip our bees. no one wants to reproduce anymore

don’t bees always follow the Queen around?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Everyone should read Aurora by KSR, especially the tech bros.

It's a very good story but the message definitely isn't "space travel is impractical" (because given what's accomplished in the book, it very much is)

The message is "alien life might gently caress you up" which is only true if it exists at all on whatever planet you've got your sights on

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

justcallhimdragon posted:

no one wants to reproduce anymore

Too hot to bone down

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I mean ok, the generation ship develops its problems, but no tech bro is gonna read it and think "wow this totally undermines my enthusiasm for space flight". The generation ship, despite its problems, is a marvel

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

It's a very good story but the message definitely isn't "space travel is impractical" (because given what's accomplished in the book, it very much is)

The message is "alien life might gently caress you up" which is only true if it exists at all on whatever planet you've got your sights on

Hmm, that’s true. They do manage to get to the exoplanet and then it goes downhill, though there is also all the stuff to do with the ship systems and friction between mission objective. Was a bit unsure of the speciation drift thing mentioned, though.

Okay. Everyone should play KSP and see how they fare. Or KSP2 would maybe be a better example.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
also watch 'Aniara'

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

no one cares

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
anyway hope evveryone enjoyed the last 'good' year :coffeepal: :hf:

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Erghh posted:

I wasn’t born yet

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Spaced God posted:

This is like year two of usable LLMs. Just wait until all the Bitcoin people switch their mining rigs to power their own ai

Already happening. I attended a talk by an expert who works alongside law enforcement in tracking down creators and traders of child sexual abuse material.

She talked about how In the last six months there has been an explosion of AI-generated abuse images being churned out by miners who've discovered it's actually profitable compared to crypto. And it's not even being carried out in the darker corners of the web. People are selling these images on their Patreons.

Cryptobros are going from uselessly wasting energy to wasting energy to actively make the world a worse place.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

lmfao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Erghh posted:

things aren't that bad yet

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hubbert posted:

things aren't that bad yet

What if the Thwaites glacier falls into the ocean? That would be worth one hell of a hearty LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Already happening. I attended a talk by an expert who works alongside law enforcement in tracking down creators and traders of child sexual abuse material.

She talked about how In the last six months there has been an explosion of AI-generated abuse images being churned out by miners who've discovered it's actually profitable compared to crypto. And it's not even being carried out in the darker corners of the web. People are selling these images on their Patreons.

Cryptobros are going from uselessly wasting energy to wasting energy to actively make the world a worse place.

jesus christ the horrors never loving end