Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scorp31
Nov 27, 2007

slidebite posted:

I've been on freedom for a few months now and so far they're acceptable. I use Wi-Fi calling at home though as I'm on a marginal area for their network.

I have that $50/50gb nationwide including us roaming and it's ok.

I find their voicemail is super basic though, public's was even better. No long term/vacation message option. They also double billed me the first month and it has painful dealing with them to try to get that figured out.

All in all though, I am satisfied. I'm curious as to how well the US roaming works though.

I managed to snag a back to school plan in 2016 or so from Freedom that included 1 gig of US roaming so I've used it a number of times. It works fine, actually it's better now than back then. Now you'll roam on both AT&T and T-Mobile where before they only had a deal with AT&T, which can be spotty. I've used it in Boston, New Orleans, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and a number of other cities and have never had any issues. The coverage is as good as those two carriers provide. They don't have any 5G US roaming but the LTE speeds are fast enough for anything I need.

If you need support I've had better results by contacting them via iMessage/Facebook Messenger/Twitter than calling them.

scorp31 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had to flight with Koodo to keep my plan when I got this phone but I'm like a 10yr customer so it was easy.

Service been real lovely lately though. There's no Telus towers in NL so they have some agreement with Bell but lately, man, trying to do literally sniffing besides call or text is hopeless unless you have full bars, LTE.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bell and Telus share towers across most of the country.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
There are a lot of things that I miss about Canada but the mobile plans are not among them. I'm still seeing 20 GB for $39.

There's 200 GB for $15 here. Also with unlinited text and calling. Which is stranger because plenty of things are more expensive even when currency conversion is considered.

Canadian telecoms literally buy full-page ads to convince Canadians that their mobile plans are in fact not interiors but superior to that of neighbours down south or in the EU. Not sure they would need to take out those ads if it were true.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why the gently caress did that post say sniffing instead of anything? It was right before I went to sleep but drat

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Rogers is finally forcing my plan to switch from Shaw to them at the end of November. They guarantee my old price ($10/month) for 5 years, as long as I keep my Shaw Internet at home, which I won't be because I'm moving in less than a year.

Oh well. It was nice paying $10/month for almost two years. gently caress mergers. gently caress Canada's useless antitrust legislation. Hello overpriced telecom, housing, and groceries until the end of time. :canada:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
32 gigabytes per second? I'd be a fool not to take this plan! :pseudo:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll take the unlimited plan that's decreased from 250gbps for $45 instead

Mister Facetious posted:

32 gigabytes per second?

Love being able to blow through my data cap in just over one second.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

32 gigabytes per second? I'd be a fool not to take this plan! :pseudo:

that's gigabits per second so it will actually take 8 times more seconds to blow past your data cap!

(meanwhile, during the hurricane a few weekends ago data speeds in Halifax were throttled so hard signal messages couldn't send, let alone letting me actually see the power outage map)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

egg tats posted:

that's gigabits per second so it will actually take 8 times more seconds to blow past your data cap!

I already divided it by 8 to derive the gigabytes per second number from gigabit :eng101:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TD finally supports Google Pay as of like yesterday FYI

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Canadian banking and telecom.
TOGETHER AT LAST!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good? Am i missing a hidden catch here? $40/40g 5g, 90 day prepay.

quote:

Canada-US Plan | 40GB for $50 | 5G speed | subscribe now
For a limited time, pay $0 for an eSIM or $5 for a physical SIM card.
Offer Details
40 GB Canada-US Data at 5G Speed up to 250mbps
Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging.
Earn $2.50/month in points value with our Public Points

Canada and US data?! Holy poo poo... :eyepop:

Shameless plug: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans?referral=EY23QJ

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 4, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh. Other than the actual volume of data (40 vs 65) that's way nicer than Bell's starting plan. The cross-border is intriguing.

I'm going to have some hard questions for some bell retentions rep in a few months.

I think PM is a Telus network carrier and their coverage is really somewhat of a mystery to me. Not because the info isn't there but because I've never actually looked at Telus' coverage and I forget they exist until someone reminds me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Telus' coverage has been pretty good when I've been with them or Public over the years.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good? Am i missing a hidden catch here?
It's just another limited time offer? Like there's no "catch", just a quick sale to grab customers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Facetious posted:

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mods sticky plz

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I've upgraded my Pubmo plan like 5 times in the last year and it's not even Black Friday

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That's pretty tempting, I wonder if I should hold until thanksgiving at least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hit my referral link if you do, my original four all left

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hasn’t the rest of the world gone to unlimited plans now and we are the only ones left quaintly metering out bits of data penny candy at the olde county general store ?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate how old I feel at 36 and how it seems centuries ago when we not only had dialup but had a limited amount of minutes to use the drat stuff.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I moved back to my hometown last year, where we only had dialup as I was growing up (700km from the nearest metropolis). We now have 250mbps cable and I find it so amazing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

I hate how old I feel at 36 and how it seems centuries ago when we not only had dialup but had a limited amount of minutes to use the drat stuff.

The best was 2006- ~2012 when they were raising the download speeds on cable internet for free.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mister Facetious posted:

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good? Am i missing a hidden catch here? $40/40g 5g, 90 day prepay.

Canada and US data?! Holy poo poo... :eyepop:

Shameless plug: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans?referral=EY23QJ

Thank you for this, I just moved to Calgary (from Chicago) this past Sunday. I used your code to get the Canada/US data deal as I will be making a few trips back and forth.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Does anyone know if these Public Mobile deals are only available to new customers or if they're also available to existing PM users? If I jump on these deals, I can still switch to any even better sales later right?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

Does anyone know if these Public Mobile deals are only available to new customers

or if they're also available to existing PM users?

If I jump on these deals, I can still switch to any even better sales later right?

1.) No, it's anyone
2.) Yes!
3.) Yes again!

:iia:

I had my last plan for six years, never went up in price. Have my current plan for around six months (no surprise increases or fees), and I switched to the one in the upper left of that pic yesterday, to activate at the end of my current billing period.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 5, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

My internet is literally 100,000x faster than when I was a teenager.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 6, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Perplx posted:

My internet is literally 100,000x faster than when I was a teenager.

And just as expensive

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Tempted by those publicmobile deals but I remember last time I switched to them from Koodo I suddenly started getting a crazy amount of spam calls. I know both are owned by Telus but it was either a weird coincidence or else porting numbers posts you to some spammer db somewhere? Or does PM actually sell their numbers to spammers?

I ended up not staying with them for long because Koodo introduced that anti spam feature that makes callers punch in a number for the call to connect. Spammers still haven't figured that out, fortunately.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Tempted by those publicmobile deals but I remember last time I switched to them from Koodo I suddenly started getting a crazy amount of spam calls. I know both are owned by Telus but it was either a weird coincidence or else porting numbers posts you to some spammer db somewhere? Or does PM actually sell their numbers to spammers?

I ended up not staying with them for long because Koodo introduced that anti spam feature that makes callers punch in a number for the call to connect. Spammers still haven't figured that out, fortunately.

I think it just depends. I get maybe one every two months

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Yeah, I'm hesitating on the button to switch for the exact same reason. I don't need more data (although US data is tempting) but Call Control really works and I don't have a Pixel so there's no equivalently good solution built into my phone.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mister Facetious posted:

I think it just depends. I get maybe one every two months

At the time I ported both me and my wife over to PM and we both started getting tons of spam. It seems like a weird coincidence but I guess he could be just that. I don't think we would want to give up that call control though. Now that we've collectively gotten maybe 1 spam call in the last 4 years.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I was going to say I haven't gotten any spam calls on PubMo at all, but I guess I have a Pixel...

Looks like the last call it blocked for me was in July so not a lot of spam. I never give my cell number out though because we still have a land line that I haven't bothered to cancel so it's our official spam phone number now and like 6 people have my actual cell number :v:. Now that I have actual minutes on my plan I will probably start using the cell more and maybe work up the give-a-shits enough to sit on hold with Telus for 45 minutes to try to cancel the landline, only to have them "accidentally" disconnect me as soon as they hear I want to cancel something.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
On PubMo, on NDND list, get spam calls constantly. Any number I dont know I've been answering nihao or suprabhaat depending on the voice.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I switched from PubMo to Rogers a couple of years ago I was immediately blasted with spam texts and calls. I figure there's some lists out there that monitor active numbers and as soon as a carrier change goes through, you get popped on it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Don't forget when there's site breaches and your poo poo gets leaked

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I switched carriers last black Friday, was getting 0 spam calls the day before, started getting 2-3 per day the day I switched. Some public list of recently ported numbers is probably it, but I do wonder if some of the carriers sell off your data when you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm paying 7$ less per month for 5 times as much data and added nationwide calling

It only took 7 years to beat that 2016 plan

Now if only the US roaming plan didn't suck