Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Travic posted:

So as funny as this all is what are the chances of Ukraine getting more aid from us when/if the House gets back up and running?

A lot of people are big mad at the corner of the Republican party that stymied things over Ukraine funding. Whenever Gaetz had a Ukraine line in his debate time, those were some of the few moments people were actually booing him. I remember him being jeered at least twice for it. I think any sort of compromise candidate that a dem would vote for probably has to make Ukraine funding assurance on some level to somebody, and any R that they don't support will be too weak to push back on funding that the Senate will easily put into their legislation. A fractious conservative caucus has kneecapped the past three Republican speakers, I doubt they have some miracle worker waiting in the wings to suddenly solve their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's easy to forget, but the majority of House Republicans did vote to keep the government open. It's just a handful of people causing this mess. And the House always has a handful of fringe dumbasses, because it's relatively cheap and easy to win a single district. It's just that the GOP margin is so thin that it actually matters. If the GOP had twenty more seats than they do right now, Gaetz would probably be powerless.

Also, a lot of these rich donors aren't just in it for low taxes and union-busting - they really do believe in right-wing social policy. Of course, many of them have also personally invested in businesses that would benefit from these right-wing social policies, so it's hard to distinguish. For example, Gaetz's brother-in-law is a billionaire GOP megadonor who owns a defense contractor that makes border surveillance devices for catching illegal border crossings.

Billion dollars? Are we sure? I hear a lot of these people have a really tough time in getting it up to that.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Has this happened in any other countries in the last 25 years? Like not even regional powers or whatever, but like any loving countries with legislatures in this century? This seems like a profound systems failure.

The Netherlands has been in a weird state of instability for the past twenty or so years. For the majority of the nineties we had had the so-called Purple cabinets - Labour, with a Blairite re-branding, in a coalition with the big right-wing liberal party and the smaller centre-left liberal party (liberal in the European sense, the 'classical liberal' that Ben Shapiro likes to pretend he is). In 2002 a new right-wing populist party, the LPF, was formed around a single individual, Pim Fortuyn, who was shot and killed in the weeks leading up to the election. In the end, they got just over a sixth of the votes in the 2002 elections. They ended up taking part in a coalition along with the Christian Democrats as the biggest party and the aforementioned right-wing liberal party.

It was a shitshow, right from the start. Within hours, one of their cabinet members had been forced to step down. She had repeatedly reassured that while yes, she had been a member of Desi Bouterse's militia in Suriname, she had left before he became a cocaine dealing union leader murdering would-be dictator. Within hours of her being announced as part of the cabinet, journalists had dug up pictures that proved that she had been lying about that.

It set the stage for an absolute clusterfuck of a government that lasted less than three months. A lot of the issues revolved around LPF cabinet members not having any background in politics, wildly overestimating the power they held as cabinet ministers, fighting amongst themselves over who got to lead their party after their leader had been killed. It was full of all sorts of banal incidents. Eduard Bomhoff, minister of health and vice-prime minister, was unhappy with how little speaking time he was getting in cabinet meetings, so he brought a little bell he'd ring whenever he felt like he needed more speaking time. Herman Heinsbroek let himself be driven around in his Bentley by his personal driver, because he felt that the cars provided for cabinet ministers weren't up to his standards.

Since then, about 20% of the Dutch electorate just bounces from one populist party to the next, with other parties getting wildly fluctuating numbers of seats. There's also the problem of the Senate. The Dutch Senate is elected on a separate election schedule, not directly, but based on the results of provincial elections. More and more, these provincial elections aren't treated as electing provincial governments, but rather for voters to voice their displeasure with national politics. As a result, there are frequently situations where the ruling coalition doesn't have a majority to back it up in the Senate, creating massively unstable situations.

Obviously it's not as dysfunctional as the mess in America, but yeah, we're also dealing with the destabilising effects of right-wing populism, especially in the past few years, with an outspoken Putinist party in parliament, one that actually introduced a motion demanding that the Dutch government exert his influence to get Andrew Tate released from house arrest. Thankfully that party seems to be set to lose massively in the November elections, although they'll just be replaced by other right-wing populists.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He automatically loses his power and the House goes back to having no Speaker after 3 legislative days. That's why they are going into recess for a week and then trying to figure out who should be Speaker before his time expires.

Where are you getting this from?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I know this distracts from the current situation in the House, but it looks like the Year of the Strike is continuing:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1709490642315776362

This is primarily nurses, medical techs, and support staff, and only covers California, Oregon, Washington state, Colorado, Virginia and Washington, D.C. - but it's still a big deal. The strike is set to commence at 6AM today, 10/4 and run through Saturday. Major sticking points are compensation and understaffing. I don't have any real analysis on this one, but it's interesting how many sectors are continuing to strike. We still have almost all of Q4 to get through, are there any other strikes waiting in the wings?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I know this distracts from the current situation in the House, but it looks like the Year of the Strike is continuing:

This is primarily nurses, medical techs, and support staff, and only covers California, Oregon, Washington state, Colorado, Virginia and Washington, D.C. - but it's still a big deal. The strike is set to commence at 6AM today, 10/4 and run through Saturday. Major sticking points are compensation and understaffing. I don't have any real analysis on this one, but it's interesting how many sectors are continuing to strike. We still have almost all of Q4 to get through, are there any other strikes waiting in the wings?

No idea, but I sure hope so. I feel like a lot of these strikes are long overdue and I'm all for workers getting theirs.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Shooting Blanks posted:

It is interesting but the Union numbers are a real bummer right now. Unionized labour as a percent against all labour is down this year vs last year. It was also down last year vs the year previous.

Hopefully we see some movement on this in the near future.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s great that the republican talking point about this is “irresponsible democrats refused to save McCarthy from himself by voting for him.” Big “you’re supposed to take the penny out of my hand before I stick it in the socket” energy, just openly saying that democrats are supposed to destroy themselves to keep a status quo the other side is trying hard to utterly explode.

I mean, threatening suicide is a common manipulation tactic in personal relationships. It also worked for the financial industry in 2009. Can't recall if similar threats weren't made over COVID when we had to choose between "the economy" and public health.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

There may be a second strike for SAG-AFTRA for actors who appear in video games. Their contract expires at the end of the month and the union has already authorized a strike if a new agreement isn’t reached

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kale posted:

That said I don't see how this reflects on the GOP to the general public as making them look like anything but a bunch of petty grievance mongering deeply unserious hacks or makes them look like a worthwhile option to vote into government for anybody other than the MAGA Chuds. The U.S hasn't really had anything that I can call a serious government in loving years with the closest thing being the brief trifectas the Democrats enjoyed under Obama and Biden which they failed to capitalize on adequately, and this is but the latest chapter in that saga. Even the trifecta GOP government was still at odds with itself, that's how dedicated this party is to settling personal scores and talking poo poo over actual governing.

The general spin on talk radio is that this is a good thing because the HFC are "fighters" trying to save the country from the radical left takeover. So at least 40% of the country will look at this and say "this is great! Finally, some people with a set of balls!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Mccarthy is a dumbass. Why would pelosi back him up lol

Like hes actually an idiot, if thats true. Which maybe its not true because hes a liar

It's definitely copium to act like all this happened because Pelosi threw a steel chair into the ring anyway. He had an opportunity to enter a power-sharing agreement and prevent government shutdowns indefinitely. So when this comes up again in 45 days, good luck with that buddy. There is hardly a bigger idiot in the GOP, which is all out of actual leaders.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NYT has a big haberman article about Rudy’s descent in alcohol use disorder. Apparently he spent a month at mar a lago after the 2008 primary and that’s where he completely fell off the wagon. The article paints a pretty pitiful picture.

Rudy is broke, friendless, bitter, depressed, and drunk most of the time. It’s clear for all to see and hardly anyone tries to deny it. This is important now because jack smith is working to be able to prove trump knew rudy was drunk when he was just “listening to advice from legal counsel.”

Hard to say 80 is an early grave, but rudy sure does seem to be drinking himself into it.

https://twitter.com/nprinskeep/status/1709541680947269649?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Speaker McHenry has already ejected Pelosi and now Hoyer from their respective hideouts, they are all being re-keyed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

what, has he been planning his vengeance for years or something. you'll rue the day, Pelosi! You'll rue the day!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Riptor posted:

quote:

What happens next after Kevin McCarthy ousted as U.S. House speaker?

Immediately following Tuesday's 216-210 ouster vote, Republican Representative Patrick McHenry, a McCarthy ally, was appointed acting speaker for a very limited time - up to three legislative days in this case.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/what-are-next-steps-us-house-searches-new-speaker-2023-10-03/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nonsense posted:

Speaker McHenry has already ejected Pelosi and now Hoyer from their respective hideouts, they are all being re-keyed.

There's no way this doesn't come back to bite the GOP the next time they lose the speakership.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nonsense posted:

Typical Republican, lash out in anger at the Democrats while doing nothing to the sex monster in their own party who actually instigated the fit.

How long do we have before Gaetz' ethics investigation is over and we get to see an expulsion of a Representative anyway?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Nevermind.

Misread.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Weirdly enough most outlets aren’t reporting the time limit at all, and a couple went as far as to say it was indefinite.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Speaker Emeritus" is the honorific, the physical office itself would be an honorarium, I guess

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One House member has already promised to nominate Trump for Speaker, but even in a crazy world where he did become Speaker, caucus rules would force him to step down because of his pending indictments.

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1709419617142047223

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pelosi's office being reconfigured as a walk in closet for the interim Speaker's bow tie collection.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One House member has already promised to nominate Trump for Speaker, but even in a crazy world where he did become Speaker, caucus rules would force him to step down because of his pending indictments.

And if there's one thing we know about Trump and the Freedom Caucus it's that they all love following the rules to the letter and respecting norms.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I mean in that insane scenario they’d just eliminate the rule, but it isn’t happening anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FYI: FEMA is conducting a national emergency test of their cellphone disaster system today at 2:20.

Every cell phone in the country within range of a cell tower will emit a loud noise and get a text alert.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fema-test-cellphone-emergency-alert-system-wednesday/story?id=103685822&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

How long until Trump turns it into McCarthy being ousted just so the Democrats can try and make him look bad by making him ineligible to be Speaker. A position many large men with tears in their eyes were begging Big Sir to take.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

And if there's one thing we know about Trump and the Freedom Caucus it's that they all love following the rules to the letter and respecting norms.

I mean Trump hanging out in the halls of congress telling everyone he is speaker when he is, in fact, not, would be objectively hilarious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

downout posted:

Billion dollars? Are we sure? I hear a lot of these people have a really tough time in getting it up to that.

It's Palmer Luckey, the former Oculus CEO who got his company bought by Facebook for $2 billion (he didn't get all of that himself, but he got a good chunk of it), collected Facebook executive paychecks for a while, and then later got fired for being a giant Trump megafan and sued Facebook for another $100 million. Pretty much as soon as that wrapped up, he founded a defense contractor that's gotten plenty of military contracts for building autonomous weapons and "virtual border wall" systems. His exact net worth is unknown, but it's generally thought to be well above a billion dollars.

Riptor posted:

It's from a somewhat ambiguous part of the House rules about the Acting Speaker (Speaker Pro Tempore). There are actually three ways someone can become Acting Speaker:
  1. A Speaker can, at any time, appoint an Acting Speaker to run the House for them, but that appointment is only valid for 3 days (unless the Speaker is sick, in which case it can extend to 10 days) and has significant limitations on their powers. If an Acting Speaker is needed for longer than that, see the next item.

2. The Majority Leader or party chairman can call for the election of an Acting Speaker. This elected Acting Speaker has more power and fewer limitations than an appointed Acting Speaker.

3. The Speaker leaves/loses the Speakership or is rendered incapable of exercising the office. When the Speaker is elected, they submit a secret list of designated Acting Speakers, and the first valid and available person on this list becomes the designated Acting Speaker.

The reason I say it's ambiguous is because the rules governing and limiting the Acting Speaker change substantially based on whether the Acting Speaker came about through 1, 2, or 3. The House rules make the differences between 1 and 2 very clear, but the rules (or at least the official guidebook to the rules) are much less clear about the distinctions between 1 and 3. I think to some extent, that ambiguity is deliberate - the succession stuff was added in the wake of 9/11, so I suspect they wanted to allow enough flexibility to handle cases like "what if a terrorist attack kills half the House". I also suspect some of it is not deliberate - the succession stuff was added at a different time from the rest, and probably no one bothered to go over the rules and do an edit pass for consistency and clarity.

I don't think the 3-day limit applies to a type-3 Acting Speaker, only to a type-1 Acting Speaker. It's hard to be completely sure, though. There's a clear intention for non-elected Acting Speakers to be weaker and more temporary than elected Acting Speakers, but there's also a clear intention that when the Speaker's office is vacant, the Acting Speaker should have flexible powers for responding to whatever circumstances led to the vacancy. If the Speaker's office is vacant, the Acting Speaker has "such authorities of the Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate pending the election of a Speaker or Speaker pro tempore", which to me sounds a lot like government-speak for "you can do whatever you can convince the rest of the House to accept under the circumstances".

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
chaos reigns

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Mccarthy is a dumbass. Why would pelosi back him up lol

Like hes actually an idiot, if thats true. Which maybe its not true because hes a liar

Listen, everyone knows the Democrats must abide by ~decorum~, and no one could have possibly seen McCarthy having karmic retribution bite him in the rear end like this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

chaos reigns

Undead fox for speaker?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The amount of pettiness for someone to go after Pelosi's hideaway office within the first few minutes getting the power to do so is just breathtaking.

But not surprising. Trigger the libs is all they have now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's Palmer Luckey, the former Oculus CEO who got his company bought by Facebook for $2 billion (he didn't get all of that himself, but he got a good chunk of it), collected Facebook executive paychecks for a while, and then later got fired for being a giant Trump megafan and sued Facebook for another $100 million. Pretty much as soon as that wrapped up, he founded a defense contractor that's gotten plenty of military contracts for building autonomous weapons and "virtual border wall" systems. His exact net worth is unknown, but it's generally thought to be well above a billion dollars.

It's from a somewhat ambiguous part of the House rules about the Acting Speaker (Speaker Pro Tempore). There are actually three ways someone can become Acting Speaker:
  1. A Speaker can, at any time, appoint an Acting Speaker to run the House for them, but that appointment is only valid for 3 days (unless the Speaker is sick, in which case it can extend to 10 days) and has significant limitations on their powers. If an Acting Speaker is needed for longer than that, see the next item.

2. The Majority Leader or party chairman can call for the election of an Acting Speaker. This elected Acting Speaker has more power and fewer limitations than an appointed Acting Speaker.

3. The Speaker leaves/loses the Speakership or is rendered incapable of exercising the office. When the Speaker is elected, they submit a secret list of designated Acting Speakers, and the first valid and available person on this list becomes the designated Acting Speaker.

The reason I say it's ambiguous is because the rules governing and limiting the Acting Speaker change substantially based on whether the Acting Speaker came about through 1, 2, or 3. The House rules make the differences between 1 and 2 very clear, but the rules (or at least the official guidebook to the rules) are much less clear about the distinctions between 1 and 3. I think to some extent, that ambiguity is deliberate - the succession stuff was added in the wake of 9/11, so I suspect they wanted to allow enough flexibility to handle cases like "what if a terrorist attack kills half the House". I also suspect some of it is not deliberate - the succession stuff was added at a different time from the rest, and probably no one bothered to go over the rules and do an edit pass for consistency and clarity.

I don't think the 3-day limit applies to a type-3 Acting Speaker, only to a type-1 Acting Speaker. It's hard to be completely sure, though. There's a clear intention for non-elected Acting Speakers to be weaker and more temporary than elected Acting Speakers, but there's also a clear intention that when the Speaker's office is vacant, the Acting Speaker should have flexible powers for responding to whatever circumstances led to the vacancy. If the Speaker's office is vacant, the Acting Speaker has "such authorities of the Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate pending the election of a Speaker or Speaker pro tempore", which to me sounds a lot like government-speak for "you can do whatever you can convince the rest of the House to accept under the circumstances".

Can an acting/designated/etc speaker be hit with a motion to vacate?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Weirdly enough most outlets aren’t reporting the time limit at all, and a couple went as far as to say it was indefinite.

Three legislative days can't pass if you never resume the session. :smuggo:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cimber posted:

The amount of pettiness for someone to go after Pelosi's hideaway office within the first few minutes getting the power to do so is just breathtaking.

But not surprising. Trigger the libs is all they have now.

They also booted Steny Hoyer from his office lol

So impotent. Let's see how you like it when you HAVE NO OFFICE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FYI: FEMA is conducting a national emergency test of their cellphone disaster system today at 2:20.

Every cell phone in the country within range of a cell tower will emit a loud noise and get a text alert.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fema-test-cellphone-emergency-alert-system-wednesday/story?id=103685822&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Northern Ireland doesn’t have an executive right now since last year, and from 2017-2020 sort of didn’t have a government. Interesting situation for them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well now I'm really excited

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It must be such a cool existence, just getting programmed with literally whatever and it just becoming true in your brain with none of those boring middle steps. Yeah, vaccines react to emergency pings and make you a zombie. I've always believed that my whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Shooting Blanks posted:

Las Vegas hospitality workers' unions have been striking for several weeks now, but for some reason that one has been mostly flying under the radar.