Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Which Creature Commandos are we talking about here?

The one with Medusa, Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula and the Wolfman?

Medusa is far too attractive, I dispute this whole 'a visage so hideous it petrifies you' thing. Seen far worse down the local night spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah Medusa just looks like a techno goth. The only thing petrified there would be her music taste

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Medusa is far too attractive, I dispute this whole 'a visage so hideous it petrifies you' thing. Seen far worse down the local night spot.

"That was a mistranslation, but I do make men rock hard."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I only read the one Creature Commando comic and that was back in the early 80s.

IIRC, they went with her being a beautiful woman who normally wore a turban and who could use her petrifying power at will on humans when she took it off.

It didn't work on other monsters, but she did use her snakes to calm down the Frankenstein one time he got a bit crazy after literally tilting windmills*.

* which were secretly hiding nazi machinegun nests. He lifted up one side of the windmill and the human on the team tossed in a grenade. Pretty cool poo poo to read for a young kid in the 80s.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Is it? When is that coming out? James Gunn's first tweet above seems to imply that Creature Commandos will be the first "chapter 1" (or whatever) project released on TV. Is the Waller show a bridge between old DCU and the new one, so...chapter 0.5 or something?

This is all so stupid.

That was how the series was explained when it was first announced. Basically the series would follow from the end of Peacemaker S1 as a spin-off series and follow her and be developed by other creators while Gunn is busy with the other DC projects before he returns for Peacemaker S2 which will probably semi follow from Waller.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

"That was a mistranslation, but I do make men rock hard."

The Mummy let out a horny moan
When Medusa's bare tits turned his dick to stone

- the original Monster Mash

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's... extremely disappointing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
:toot:

gunn confirmed on instagram that season 2 writing has started.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ah, but does it take place in the MoS DCU, the The Flash DCU, the Shazam 2 DCU, the Blue Beetle DCU or the as yet hypothetical new DCU?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Yes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grendels Dad posted:

Ah, but does it take place in the MoS DCU, the The Flash DCU, the Shazam 2 DCU, the Blue Beetle DCU or the as yet hypothetical new DCU?

Its actually in the MCU now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

yes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool vs. Peacemaker, coming 2026

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How Blue was my Beetle

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Multiverse where each episode is played by a different peacemaker

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How Blue was my Beetle

It blue more than Tobias Funke

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Multiverse where each episode is played by a different peacemaker

But all of them are played by John Cena.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol at Superman being the hurdle to wait patiently to get past before this can show up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Superman is THE superhero to build your cinematic universe around.

Never mind Batman standing over there, looking dejected with the half-dozen recent-ish blockbuster hits under his belt. And please don't look at the last cinematic universe we built around Superman, we didn't mean to do it like that!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Superman is at his best when he isn't even there. When something has a contrasting-Superman or conspicuous absence of such a figure, seem to open the door to more interesting fresh stories. And kind of doubt that's what they'll be doing trying to re re re set up their own MCU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Never mind Batman standing over there, looking dejected with the half-dozen recent-ish blockbuster hits under his belt. And please don't look at the last cinematic universe we built around Superman, we didn't mean to do it like that!

We are batmanned out

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
danny devito playing a man bat would be cool

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

moist turtleneck posted:

danny devito playing a man bat would be cool

This would be great, but you could never show him actually doing anything. Have him show up in cowl and the whole nine yards and have everyone play it straight, but never actually cut to him, you know, actually doing anything. Keep it all offscreen.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Grendels Dad posted:

more like stupidman tbh

though My Adventures With Superman is fun

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
That show had a strong vision: what if Superman was the ultimate himbo?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Danny Devito should play Oberon in a Mister Miracle and Big Barda movie.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Danny Devito should play Oberon in a Mister Miracle and Big Barda movie.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees. :getin:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Just came in to say that the Peacemaker / Judomaster fight dialog is some of the realest and most believable fight dialog that has ever made it into film, ever.

Judomaster: gently caress you!
Peacemaker: gently caress YOU!
Judomaster: Fucker!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GolfHole posted:

Just came in to say that the Peacemaker / Judomaster fight dialog is some of the realest and most believable fight dialog that has ever made it into film, ever.

Judomaster: gently caress you!
Peacemaker: gently caress YOU!
Judomaster: Fucker!

You can do whatever you want in life :hmmyes:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tunicate posted:

We are batmanned out

unpossible

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022

Jerusalem posted:

You can do whatever you want in life :hmmyes:

I appreciate this lmao

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1738731916486930763?t=hdiyGnRqS_YFxcSPq9Xl7w&s=19

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait to see them explain that ending in season 2!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Peacemaker blows up a health spa they are all in, obscured by steam.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The DC universe never should have existed. I'm not that into comics, but my understanding is that the real strength of DC comics versus Marvel was their willingness to give creative artists a chance to use existing characters to tell stories that weren't necessarily canon to continuity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Agreed. A handful of unique DC movies with something interesting to say w characters would be preferred over trying to recreate Superfriends.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gangringo posted:

The DC universe never should have existed. I'm not that into comics, but my understanding is that the real strength of DC comics versus Marvel was their willingness to give creative artists a chance to use existing characters to tell stories that weren't necessarily canon to continuity.

No, DCs thing is more originally wanting to have multiple canons each applicable to a different universe (Earth 1, Earth 2, etc) and then constantly changing their mind and rebooting and merging universes to mess with their own continuity.

I prefer Grant Morrison’s Hypertime explanation of continuity which basically boils down to “Don’t worry about it too much, it’s cool, whatever”.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gangringo posted:

This was never the case.

In fact DC's decline in sales and popularity happened in the 60's when Marvel came into being and caught on with having ongoing continuity-based stories and DC kept sticking to "what if Superman married a gorilla" one-offs long after it was clear that's not what the audience wanted.

If you mean prestige series made by a specific creative team that lack continuity like The Dark Night Rises or Kingdom Come then Marvel does those too. It's not much of a distinction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe they're thinking of the DC imprint Vertigo that did let interesting creative take a shot at established DC characters in continuity or non continuity. It was a nice couple of decades run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I loved Steel because they never talked about out that Superman guy, I'm all about Shaq being a super hero.

Golly, I wish we could go back to those days when people who hated comic books were in charge of stuff.