Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It rolled away along the seabed, or fell through the geometry when you freshly loaded the terrain chunk the pod was in. Or a toothy boi decided to taste it.

poo poo is Supoosed To Be persistent within the game world, but Supposed To and Be persistent are doing some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The grav trap is criminally underused and the best way to collect mass amounts of teeth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rynoto posted:

The grav trap is criminally underused and the best way to collect mass amounts of teeth.

It's fantastic, and holy poo poo, I never thought to use it for that. Wow.

Build a grav trap.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I build a grab trap for fishing as soon as I can, for food or bioreactor fuel. Never thought to use it to snag teeth, gonna remember that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah they’ll pick up anything loose, you can also use them to vacuum your old “drop everything extra into this little crevice” spot if you did that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
WHAT

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

No guarantee they will pull stuff out of the geometry but if you missed dead batteries or whatever in foliage the trap will pick them up.

I can’t recall how long ago this was but I’ve seen them pick up deposits, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grav trap quickly becoming the Subnautica MVP.

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I build a grab trap

I like how this accidental name actually works better.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Oh, yeah don’t sleep on Greg traps.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rynoto posted:

:aaaaa:

I play on freedom mode so I never really make grav traps because I thought of them just as tools to catch food I didn't need. I never considered that they attracted other objects as well...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You can use them to mine quickly as well, just plop it in front of a rock face and hover it up

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wait, what? I never user grav traps, how strong are they and approximately how big is the affected area?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

They have a limit of about 8ish things grabbed at the same time, and it holds them a lot like rubber bands? About 5 meters catchment volume maybe.
It's not strong per se, but it doesn't let go unless the fish try very hard. Inanimate objects stay. It rips the chunk of the wall and you crack one as it boings on the teather

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 4, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've definitely wasted time chasing tethered fishes in a circle around a grav trap.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

I've definitely wasted time chasing tethered fishes in a circle around a grav trap.

I'd rather this than chase after them throughout the greater area.

I've officially only played Subnautica on the Switch, I really should fire it up on Steam deck, and bind use/pickup to R4.

Ooh, and I'll get gyro aiming.... Oooooooh.....

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They have a limit of about 8ish things grabbed at the same time, and it holds them a lot like rubber bands? About 5 meters catchment volume maybe.
It's not strong per se, but it doesn't let go unless the fish try very hard. Inanimate objects stay. It rips the chunk of the wall and you crack one as it boings on the teather

Bigger or smaller than a Seamoth?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Waffle House posted:

Bigger or smaller than a Seamoth?

About the size of a multi-purpose room?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Another Subnautica like space game, lets see how this one pans out.
Steam page has a button to request access into playtest.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2353250/Astrometica/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KlgmSM6q3Y

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like someone just did a search & replace for "water" and "space".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mechanically it looks fine, aesthetically it could use some work, but the placeholder text seems pretty dire, so I don't have much hope for the story.

I guess there is something inherent about the feel of an underwater setting that a space setting just isn't the same. If the general background is always black, you don't get a different feel between dark and light. If there is no surface with safe air, than there's no deep, dangerous water, everywhere outside of a base is equally hostile. And the ocean in Subnautica is just generally teeming with life.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The only one of these Subnautica-likes that's clicked at all for me so far is Forever Skies, but it's still extremely bare and very Early Acess. I'm optimistic, though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Playing a narrative or discovery game in early access sounds terrible, why would you do that to yourself ugh.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Just checking it out and supporting the devs, I didn't drop more than a few hours into it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Serephina posted:

Playing a narrative or discovery game in early access sounds terrible, why would you do that to yourself ugh.

Occasionally it works out just fine.

Also so you can counter other complete idiots suggesting things to the devs which they seem to take seriously. There was real talk on their forums about the idea of the fabricator taking 5/10/15+ minutes to “encourage exploration while you wait”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ive got my eyes on forever skies but im really cutting back on paying for early access Indy games. Been burned too many times on lots of total poo poo games that go nowhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've had Valheim for a year now, played a ton. That isn't out yet, is it?

I'll be getting back into it eventually.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serephina posted:

Because Caves of Qud is amazing already.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've had Valheim for a year now, played a ton. That isn't out yet, is it?

I'll be getting back into it eventually.

I’m hopping back in once they finish the final biome :unsmith:

I played BZ in early access. Kind of wish I had waited, though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Because one day you explore along some once barren spot and see terrain cut out and flora/fauna added.

Especially if you dont pay attention to patch notes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m hopping back in once they finish the final biome :unsmith:

I played BZ in early access. Kind of wish I had waited, though.

Oh dang, have they confirmed that it's the final biome?

Valheim is great, the only other game that has the same vibe as Subnautica, somehow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Because Caves of Qud is amazing already.

Man, is it ever.

And yes, Valheim, while being wildly different, really does have some Subnautica DNA. They got the progression down pretty well to where stuff that is VERY scary at first becomes manageable.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 9, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess there is something inherent about the feel of an underwater setting that a space setting just isn't the same.

I feel like you could make a great survival game set in the atmosphere of a gas giant or Venusian planet, scavenging abandoned and increasingly decrepit aerostats, floating wildlife, increasing pressure the deeper you descend, poor visibility, etc

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

That sounds dope as gently caress. You have to maintain supplies and an apparatus to let you breathe, but instead of a breath meter the widget ticking down is your float/wing suit’s resistance to pressure and corrosion. Roiling clouds in all kinds of colors, storm systems, you could get cave exploration from descending to the upper reaches of a mountain range where metals and rock were mined for use in the aerostats before The Plot happened.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Yall are describing Forever Skies

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yall are describing Forever Skies

Yeah, I'm cautiously excited for this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember something that was disturbing to me towards the beginning of Subnautica was the fact that on top of the day/night cycle, I think the planet regularly gets eclipses. It makes clearer that you're on an alien world with an alien sky, but it's a real problem towards the beginning of the game and you're close to the surface and the night is scary. There's the long dark, but in the middle of the day (or maybe every couple days?) it just gets all dark for like a minute. And when I was particularly scared of the dark, there was nothing to do for that interval but hole up and read datalogs.

It's not really an issue towards the later game. I guess you have all these things to make you feel safer and light things up, but I think for a long while even later in the game, I was planning expeditions based off of trying to head out in the morning so that I would have maximum light, and there wasn't like a short dark to worry about. Maybe that's supposed to be because the water refracts from a long enough distance that the short dark evens out, or maybe the eclipses are only really rendered towards the surface.

I don't know how deep it stops mattering what the difference is between night and day, but I do know that constantly I would be confused about how relatively deep I was, because if you go back up at night, things are still in an abyssal darkness.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

This is so minute an argument but drat you're labelling 60 seconds of darkness as a problem. You might get pushback on that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I tended to set out a bit after nightfall, such that I would arrive at my destination around dawn. Felt good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There are also different darkness modes in the settings menu. One of them makes the game realistically pitch black at night if stuff isn't illuminated. The other option is "video game night", which is when everything looks darker and like a grey/blue filter on it, but still totally fine.

I'd check those settings if the dark is getting to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My first night on my first play through I sort of reflexively went to hole up in the escape pod and then thought better of just staring at the screen waiting for time to pass in a game. The first of many atmospheric appreciation moments for Subnautica!