Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks, the more you know. Been paying more attention because our Poly meeting room cameras loving suck for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Confirmed that the temp sensor doesn't require contact, can be used to get the temp of objects (examples were the temp of a pan and a baby's bottle).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Google declined my free trip damnit!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phones are up now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
$400 off the pro when activating on fi, stack with that $100 code they gave for ending the pixel pass and this thing is hella cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, they said "all new wide camera" so maybe the GN2 rumors are correct.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

$420 trade in value for a 256GB P7P. Hmm.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pulled the trigger on a 512 in blue with matching buds. Now let's see if I get hosed because I wasn't fast enough 😂

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
yooo audio magic eraser... nice

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

I didn't do the trade since I'm pretty sure I can get more through Swappa.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BonoMan posted:

yooo audio magic eraser... nice

So much. With my idiot dog that barks for attention whenever we're not focused 100% on him this will be amazing.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

In the US the trade in doesn't seem to care about the storage size for the devices. (Working device open selected)
Pixel 6 Pro $400
Pixel 7 Pro $420

The free with purchase gifts are Pixel Watch 2 (WiFi) or Pixel Buds Pro

Sorry the above is for Pixel 8 Pro.

Trade in seems to drop a bit for Pixel 8
P7P $385
P7 $325
P6P $385
P6 $325

Gift is Pixel Buds Pro or $200 off Pixel Watch 2 (Which I guess you can select the nonwifi didn't check if it's limited there).

minusX fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 4, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Last year seemed to have better trade in values. They offered me $520 for an iPhone 12 mini for the P7. They only offer $325 for the P7 this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, ALL new sensors on the rear for the Pro and autofocus on the front sensor. All the negative leaks were wrong.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pixel 8 actually went slightly smaller than Pixel 7 :letsgo: I was thinking about the pro now that it isn't curved edges but smaller = better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh man, comparing Pixel video directly to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, ballsy. They best not miss if they are going to do that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blurb3947 posted:

Last year seemed to have better trade in values. They offered me $520 for an iPhone 12 mini for the P7. They only offer $325 for the P7 this year.

They actually quoted me more for a 64GB iPhone 12 I bought earlier this year for less than 400 dollars than my Pixel 7 Pro lol

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Oh hey you can upgrade to the LTE watch 2 if you want when you select it as the gift for $50 nice. I've kept it turned off because of my usage to get better battery life but wanting to have it "just in case" has been uh...well nice but I've never used it because I don't want pay $5 a month for a feature that's going to cut down the already just ok battery life.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Night Sight video is amazing

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Support page is up and confirms that 7 years of support is for security *and* OS updates.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
350€ trade-in offer on a (basically new) Pixel 7 Pro 128GB in Germany paired with the 200€ price hike on the 8 Pro will make this the first Pixel I'm not pre-ordering. I know it sounds hyperbolic but WTH Google?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Not sure what I expected the Assistant + Bard merger to be called, but it definitely wasn't "Assistant with Bard".

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I went to check if Google store or FI store had better deals on the new pixels dropping and noticed that unlimited FI members get one year free of YouTube premium +music

Which takes a bit of the sting out my grandfathered ~$9.99 plan finally raising the price to $13.99 in a month or 2

It looks like it's $400 off for existing FI lines or a pixel watch 2 or pro buds on the Google store for preorder bonuses. With a trade in it won't be too bad at all.

I think I'll take the cash, the watch is mildly interesting but I'm not really a watch guy and my original pixel buds are still meeting my needs.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A base 64GB iPhone 11 (not pro, or max) nets you more in trade-in than a 1 year old Pixel 7 Pro and that just feels kind of wrong to me. No loyalty to returning customers?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Ordered my P8P. What cases are y'all buying? Doesn't look like Spigen has one out yet.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vagrancy posted:

Not sure what I expected the Assistant + Bard merger to be called, but it definitely wasn't "Assistant with Bard".

"google assistant" is an established product name and one of the company's standout features vs siri and other poo poo out there. it's unlikely they would change that name to something new for people to get used to

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

A base 64GB iPhone 11 (not pro, or max) nets you more in trade-in than a 1 year old Pixel 7 Pro and that just feels kind of wrong to me. No loyalty to returning customers?
So a lot of this is going to be guesses after looking into this: It's processed by Hyla, which is owned/renaming of Assurant. It's likely based on the number of devices they have coming in needing to have a refurbishment done so they need spare parts or a working well enough device to flip over to someone else. That also makes sense why there's a flat trade value between devices vs the storage, they aren't reselling these devices, they are being used for known replacement purposes. I could see there being a need to have more of a certain size of device and offering more but they likely have the amount they need currently to process what they want.

It's also why there isn't loyalty bonuses. Or well, there is, pixels just don't keep a value at all it seems. Looking at the trade in value at say apple a pro 6 (there's no desire for a 7 pro or otherwise) was just $125.

Tremors posted:

Ordered my P8P. What cases are y'all buying? Doesn't look like Spigen has one out yet.
They do, just isn't in amazon etc yet https://store.google.com/product/spigen_tough_armor_case_pixel_8_pro

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I think they just really want to grab some of that Apple marketshare in the US. Android has been getting wrecked in the US for the past 3-4 years and they're trying to stop the bleeding anyway possible.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266572/market-share-held-by-smartphone-platforms-in-the-united-states/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol a $54 CAD trade-in value for my OnePlus 9P. I wasn't expecting anything but still funny. Wonder why they even bother.

Looks good, but it's $1349 for 128 GB or $1429 CAD for 256 GB. I'll see what OnePlus 12 offers. This'll probably cheaper by then anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, Hyla does Samsung's trades too.

The issue is marketing budget. Samsung spends a lot of marketing budget to subsidize trades and Google is clearly using that same budget to get more hardware into people's hands to build ecosystem lock in (Pixel Watch 2 and Buds Pro.)

It is what it is. There's always private sale with devices.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The issue is marketing budget. Samsung spends a lot of marketing budget to subsidize trades and Google is clearly using that same budget to get more hardware into people's hands to build ecosystem lock in (Pixel Watch 2 and Buds Pro.)

They likely have been doing it for a while for multiple companies and have adjusted a lot. I remember there being small differences between values but still differences last time I checked. This flat "this device is worth x doesn't matter the size" is new(er). I did leave out a part of the apple trade in stuff: they had a second offer that was subsidized by carriers offering extra for trades + activations. There's that too with the google store but they keep that setup kinda differently and wasn't as fast to view it. The Pixel 7 Pro is "up to $820". The iPhone pro max 14 I looked up there was $650/up to $1000. So there's still some bonuses bucks with carriers but I feel that's more for the activation part with Hyda offering some extra bucks to them.

Oh also the 7 year support is from Pixel 8 on for now, old devices (including the fold) aren't getting the bonus https://support.google.com/pixelpho...-including-fold

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

bull3964 posted:

I would have only gotten about $300 for an iPhone 12 mini through Swappa but Google offered me over $500 for it. It's just disappointing is all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tremors posted:

I'm gonna try to run naked for a while (the phone, too). But whenever the clear Spigen pops up I'll grab it and use it 'til it turns brown.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Worth upgrading from the Pixel 6 Pro?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

so there's no update to the fingerprint sensor huh? bummer. it's fine but could be better.

and the watch 2 has the same bezels?

feels like it's gonna be a skip year for me. ah well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How in the world do you change the default MP3 player on a Pixel? When I click an MP3 it just opens a weird mini player that does nothing.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

bull3964 posted:

Oh man, comparing Pixel video directly to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, ballsy. They best not miss if they are going to do that.

But that video has to hit a data center first, maybe? I thought they mentioned it takes a pass on-device and then goes to a data center.

They also mentioned you have to toggle the mode before shooting video, so no data center processing for older videos?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Pixel 4 can finally RIP:

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1709594298981695734?t=boojINKzX8OB723rcR1TuA&s=19

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I'm seeing $450 trade-in for a Pixel 7 256 GB at Best Buy. $325 on Google's store. But you can't trade-in for the P8 Pro 512GB model :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TVGM posted:

But that video has to hit a data center first, maybe? I thought they mentioned it takes a pass on-device and then goes to a data center.

They also mentioned you have to toggle the mode before shooting video, so no data center processing for older videos?

The Video Boost has some weird pipeline, but they seemed to imply that just regular video would be much improved too.

That's loving huge if true.