Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Philippe posted:

Newer King can have a weird edge to it too. The last bit of Revival felt very old King to me.

his new stuff seems to veer between "oops here is a monster" or "oh god cosmic horror". i still think pet sematary is my favorite because it threads the needle of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Letterman posted this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wxjIecmD4

The Firestarter!

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Letterman posted this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wxjIecmD4

The Firestarter!

This is actually the nicest thing I've heard him say about the Shining film.

Also, only tangentially relevant, but there was a book I read and found really interesting called The Forest and the EcoGothic: The Deep Dark Woods in the Popular Imagination which I found because it tackles what a famous sociologist/philosopher named Max Weber called "the disenchantment of the world." The book references a CS Lewis quote to beautifully illustrating this:

quote:

The process whereby man has come to know the universe is from one point of view extremely complicated; from another it is alarmingly simple. We can observe a single one-way progression. At the outset, the universe appears packed with will, intelligence, life, and positive qualities; every tree is a nymph and every planet a god. Man himself is akin to the gods. The advance gradually empties this rich and genial universe, first of its gods, then of it colours, smells, sounds and tastes, finally of solidity itself as solidity was originally imagined.

The book's central thesis is that Horror is the last refuge of this old enchantment; that we can "scare ourselves " back into the mindset of our ancestors. Something about Horror transcends even our Fantasy or Science Fiction precisely because it appeals to such primitive, indelible notions or instincts in humans.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 2, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I totally get the things that King dislikes about The Shining and, as an artist myself, can relate. But nothing in his critique (which was fair) makes it a bad film either. It's just one writer's opinion about a movie that he felt missed the mark of his intent, which happens all the time. Authors and script writers butt heads constantly. A lot of changes were made to Jurassic Park, for instance, but both the film and the book are really good.

Imagine writing a novel; where you naturally have images in your head of what things look like, which parts are deeply important to your narrative and who certain characters resemble running through your head. Then you see it and it's someone else's exact same thing when they imagined it while reading it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, Beverly murdered her abusive father in self defense and at the end of the film we learn she's going to love with her aunt. Wouldn't there be a police investigation of some sort? We're never really shown what happens to the body or any of the aftermath there. I know it's Derry but a 13 year old girl murdering her dad would have consequences I think.

She for sure knocked him the gently caress out and left him bleeding on the bathroom floor, but I don't remember it being explicit that he died. Assuming he lived everybody being cool with her splitting town to get away from her abusive dad that she hospitalized seems reasonable.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And in Derry, questions that should be asked often get put on the backburner

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, people tend to just not make a big deal out of things in Derry. literal toddler goes missing in the back yard? Eh their dad probably just abducted them. Eleven year old runs away from home? S’all good man, no need to look into that poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is actually the nicest thing I've heard him say about the Shining film.

Also, only tangentially relevant, but there was a book I read and found really interesting called The Forest and the EcoGothic: The Deep Dark Woods in the Popular Imagination which I found because it tackles what a famous sociologist/philosopher named Max Weber called "the disenchantment of the world." The book references a CS Lewis quote to beautifully illustrating this:

The book's central thesis is that Horror is the last refuge of this old enchantment; that we can "scare ourselves " back into the mindset of our ancestors. Something about Horror transcends even our Fantasy or Science Fiction precisely because it appeals to such primitive, indelible notions or instincts in humans.

this is very interesting. i agree with the thesis

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

deoju posted:

She for sure knocked him the gently caress out and left him bleeding on the bathroom floor, but I don't remember it being explicit that he died. Assuming he lived everybody being cool with her splitting town to get away from her abusive dad that she hospitalized seems reasonable.

Doesn't she also go back to her childhood home to see if he still lived there, both in the book and in the (2nd) movie? If so it would be a weird thing to do if she had killed him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

this is very interesting. i agree with the thesis

Would def recommend it. I myself should go through it again but here is a sample I made sure to note down:

quote:

Of all our fictions, it is horror especially that functions as mythology. This is due, firstly, to the fact that myth, as James Frazer contends, must be ‘dramatised in ritual’ to stay alive—and horror, in a sense, is one our most ritualistic and participatory of genres.168 One’s introduction to the genre is often relayed in terms of an initiation, and for those who enjoy the experience, it is a compulsion sought again and again. Moreover, the genre in itself is essentially repetitive: as Carol Clover asserts, we encounter within it ‘a set of fixed tale types that generate an endless stream of what are in effect variants, sequels, remakes and rip-offs’.169 The subgenre of horror in the woods, remember, is merely a more specific ‘cliché’.170 This means, to an extent, that when we engage with horror fictions with an inevitable anticipatory dread, we know roughly what to expect. We are engaging, in a sense, with a form of ritual. This is underlined by the fact that the genre characteristically carries a sense of catharsis, which is inherent, too, in myth. René Girard has written much on the idea of ritual as a central element of our myths. He focuses on the importance of ritualistic sacrifice as a means of exorcising the human desire for violence, whilst simultaneously and firmly denying the very existence of this desire, therein avoiding its potential to result in an endless cycle of violence.171 Chapter 5, in which Girard is discussed in further detail, explores the idea that the horror genre itself serves as a substitute for human sacrifice. This is especially relevant in texts such as The Cabin in the Woods, which consciously addresses our desires to witness this violence. The main reason why our Gothic fictions serve in the same way as our myths is because they are grounded in anxiety. Fear, significantly, supplants logos with mythos. This is why, to repeat Maitland again, ‘most of us post-enlightenment and would-be rational adults’ continue to be ‘terrified by the wild wood’.172 When we are afraid, we imbue our make-believe ideas that are intentionally terrifying with some degree of credibility. We experience a dark transition between the fantastical ‘make-believe’ of willingly suspended belief and the nightmarish elements of what will, regardless of consent, make you believe. Texts which feature the Gothic forest show it to be a ‘strange and monstrous’ space—to be a mythic environment that is, in varyingly disturbing ways, very much alive. Importantly, these texts, collectively, can change how we view our environments, if we return to this idea of symbiosis between our fears and their fictional expressions. For example, it is likely that one will have a very different experience wandering through the woods after having read, say, an enchanting text such as Edith Blyton’s The Magic Faraway Tree (1943), and, by contrast, having recently seen something so intentionally horrifying as The Blair Witch Project. Our myths wake a little, indeed, within the wilderness.

Viewing our horror texts as modern myths can be illuminating— especially in light of Rollo May’s assertion that ‘a myth is a way of making sense in a senseless world’.173

The manifestation of the Gothic forest as a living threat can essentially be read in two ways. On the one hand, it is an embodiment of ecophobic dread that not only reflects, but potentially teaches fear and hatred of this environment. It is something that should be ordered or destroyed. But on the other hand, it potentially signifies the re-enchantment of Nature through terror. If we return to this idea that we now live in a world where both myth and Nature are ‘dead’, then surely the image of the living environment is importantly provocative. It challenges us to reconsider the unthinking objectification of Nature and takes us one step closer to Duerr’s environment that is harder to exploit: the Nature that ‘speaks to us’. The looming question, however, is if we can realistically imagine a Nature that wants to speak to us—and will have anything nice to say.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Reading Pet Sematary after my grandfather passed in February probably wasn't the best idea on my part, but the book actually helped me work through my grief in a way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MNIMWA posted:

I've started listening to hte podcast Just King Things - it's good!

I decided to try it starting with the episode about The Stand and...these guys are loving dopes. Their entire episode seems to be based on a partly remembered reading from years ago, despite supposedly reading it fresh. That is when they're not conflating it with the miniseries (the "Hand of God" you whine about kind of isn't there in the text, my dudes).

Vargatron posted:

Reading Pet Sematary after my grandfather passed in February probably wasn't the best idea on my part, but the book actually helped me work through my grief in a way.

Having had a kid, I have no intention of ever picking it up again, despite being one of my top 5 Kings.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

People are always talking about the hand of God in The Stand and not understanding that it's a metaphor. Flagg is undone by someone who believes his dogma more than he does, bringing it back home to roost. I think it's Ralph who sees the hand of God in that, but Ralph's a religious guy, so of course he does.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's a hard read when you've got a little kid. I reread it when my kid was about 4, and it was loving eerie how well I could replace Gage with my own child in my mental picture of the scene.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I decided to try it starting with the episode about The Stand and...these guys are loving dopes. Their entire episode seems to be based on a partly remembered reading from years ago, despite supposedly reading it fresh. That is when they're not conflating it with the miniseries (the "Hand of God" you whine about kind of isn't there in the text, my dudes).

Having had a kid, I have no intention of ever picking it up again, despite being one of my top 5 Kings.

Is there not a scene where the exploding bomb looks like a hand? Have I just fully hallucinated that? I haven't seen the miniseries.

Anyway yeah I like the podcast but often their opinions are bad. So it goes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Certainly no Hand of God in the text, definitely not

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Leave posted:

OK, good, that was exactly what I was remembering and now I'm less convinced I'm going doolally.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Leave posted:

case closed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I can see that, actually. Sorry about your grandfather.

Leave posted:

It's a hard read when you've got a little kid. I reread it when my kid was about 4, and it was loving eerie how well I could replace Gage with my own child in my mental picture of the scene.

A lot of stuff is like that. There are tons of movies and books that landed much harder for me after I had a child. It actually makes a ton of sense from an empathy and identification standpoint.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

lines posted:

Is there not a scene where the exploding bomb looks like a hand?

Larry thinks "huh, looks like a hand" which is quite a ways off from "a magic hand descends and jerks off a missle"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I mean, if you see a hand and a phallic object and don’t immediately think of the hand jacking off the object then why are you even alive

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I mean, if you see a hand and a phallic object and don’t immediately think of the hand jacking off the object then why are you even alive

more like oldlubeless

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Larry thinks "huh, looks like a hand" which is quite a ways off from "a magic hand descends and jerks off a missle"

Oh is that specifically what they say? Yeah I never got that, that's just Big Brain Lit PhDs I guess.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
In the miniseries it's literally a giant golden hand that descends from the sky and sets off the warhead, as I recall it. It was never really a very subtle scene or story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean....the religious element of The Stand is pretty undeniable. It's Good vs. Evil in a metaphysical sense, God and his chosen vs. The Devil's Imp.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think in the text we're meant to think that a force of Manichean good ensured this outcome, but not that a literal zappy hand came down and blew up Vegas. The "hand" is a ball of electricity Flagg summons and can't control, just like Trash is a fanatic he created and can't control. It's about evil destroying itself in its venality and greed, and God lining up his little soldiers to set a stage where that can happen, but God isn't reaching down from the heavens to bop Flagg. The force of Manichean good in The Stand is pacifistic and humble, so it sets Flagg up to bop himself.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Leave posted:

yeah, as the father of a one year old son I'm not gonna touch that book again for a long time. Even reading book 7 of DT at the moment Jake's deathis getting to me

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I decided to try it starting with the episode about The Stand and...these guys are loving dopes.

of course they are, they're podcasters

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

I totally get the things that King dislikes about The Shining and, as an artist myself, can relate. But nothing in his critique (which was fair) makes it a bad film either. It's just one writer's opinion about a movie that he felt missed the mark of his intent, which happens all the time. Authors and script writers butt heads constantly. A lot of changes were made to Jurassic Park, for instance, but both the film and the book are really good.

Imagine writing a novel; where you naturally have images in your head of what things look like, which parts are deeply important to your narrative and who certain characters resemble running through your head. Then you see it and it's someone else's exact same thing when they imagined it while reading it.

The way I've always seen it is the issue ian't that King doesn't like the film (for the very justifiable reasons you point out), it's that other people get upset that he doesn't like the film.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I get what he means, and I'm kind of there with him. It's a good movie, all the same, but it's not the book; that's not a failing on the film's part, or on Kubrick, or on King, or anyone. It's an impossible story to truly convey in a few hours on film.

I like the book better. I don't like how Kubrick killed Dick, tho, I really don't think that was needed, he was so cool

Leave fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 5, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dick dying would be great as a book reader. But most people, includingnmyself, saw the movie first, so it was just that 60s - 80s thing of black people dying to save white people in movies and was more predictable than it should have been.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leave posted:

I get what he means, and I'm kind of there with him. It's a good movie, all the same, but it's not the book; that's not a failing on the film's part, or on Kubrick, or on King, or anyone. It's an impossible story to truly convey in a few hours on film.

I like the book better. I don't like how Kubrick killed Dick, tho, I really don't think that was needed, he was so cool

I think Kind might have a stronger argument if his self directed, endorsed, written (or whatever it was) TV 2 part series weren't so horrible. Film and literature are different mediums. They share a lot of elements but what makes one work might not in the other. There's a reason a lot of King's adaptations have been bad and they're not all entirely down to the filmmakers being bad at their craft. A lot of King's narrative takes place in the mind, the inner narrative and in his descriptive prose of mood and feeling.

Very hard to film.

He also was all on board for Maximum Overdrive.

What I'm saying is he should stick to writing books and stay in his lane even though, again, I understand what he disliked about The SHining and think it's fair criticism.

Your point about Halloran is fair too but I believe the thinking was that Kubrick needed a kill count for a horror movie and who else you got with such a small cast and 98% of them are ghosts. I liked it for the surprise element since I'd read the book first.

Should we spoiler that? I went ahead and did so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The TV movie was crap because it was directed by Mick Garris, who is a completely pedestrian TV director. The climax of the Dr Sleep movie was the climax of The Shining book (the movie just merged the book and movie together) and worked perfectly fine visually. Its easy to do the biggest beats, like the heartbreaking bee sequence in cinema. Early King isn't as much in the mind as when he started doing the longer form novels.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I need another decade of King making GBS threads on chuds and religious zealots. Please universe. There’s nothing funnier than reading reviews of Billy Summers, The Institute or Holly and seeing people whine about him injecting politics into the book. If you don’t know his politics by now you’re an idiot and his politics are cool and good.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Darko posted:

The TV movie was crap because it was directed by Mick Garris, who is a completely pedestrian TV director.

Take away the context, point someone at this quote, and ask them which King miniseries you're talking about. You will get half a dozen different answers, all of them correct.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I need another decade of King making GBS threads on chuds and religious zealots. Please universe. There’s nothing funnier than reading reviews of Billy Summers, The Institute or Holly and seeing people whine about him injecting politics into the book. If you don’t know his politics by now you’re an idiot and his politics are cool and good.

Wait, what? Who's saying he's just now injecting politics into his books? First one of his I read was The Dead Zone where the protagonist basically tries to stop someone like Trump. What, are people complaining that King is woke now?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

He also was all on board for Maximum Overdrive.

Maximum Overdrive kicks rear end.

BiggerBoat posted:

First one of his I read was The Dead Zone where the protagonist basically tries to stop someone like Trump.

Tries to stop him... permanently!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait, what? Who's saying he's just now injecting politics into his books? First one of his I read was The Dead Zone where the protagonist basically tries to stop someone like Trump. What, are people complaining that King is woke now?

Oh yea. Check out the top review of Holly on Goodreads with 1 star. “I’ve read almost every king book and he injected too much politics into this one.” Uh ok. 👍

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Shammypants posted:

Oh yea. Check out the top review of Holly on Goodreads with 1 star. “I’ve read almost every king book and he injected too much politics into this one.” Uh ok. 👍

I agree with Kings politics but they're a large part of why Holly is unreadable dogshit, page after page about covid and masks and Trump is not good reading at all but glad you got to enjoy some idiots one star review

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Breadallelogram posted:

Maximum Overdrive kicks rear end.

I still think there's a good movie to be made out of Trucks. It's a really solid little apocalyptic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I agree with Kings politics but they're a large part of why Holly is unreadable dogshit, page after page about covid and masks and Trump is not good reading at all but glad you got to enjoy some idiots one star review

It sounds kinda like how people were criticizing Under thE Dome a page or two ago only Holly is far more in your face? I've never read it.

But I think I love Under the Dome because it says a lot of things. It's not just "Big Jim and Little Jim are Cheney and Dubya," although that's one valid read. It's also an analysis of how humans might act in a crisis. Then again, this reminds me of that book about kids stranded on an island and how some people are like "this is an analysis of human nature" and others go "no, it's an analysis of some spoiled British kids."

Maybe both are true. You get out of a piece of art what you put into it, I firmly believe that.