Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Boxturret posted:

Or you could say you're not in the right

Frame of Mind?

I set myself up for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Frakes also directed Frame of Mind and I think he did a great job at it. Lots of cool shots and clever staging.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

zoux posted:

Except why the gently caress is Beverly an amateur metaphasic shields enthusiast?

Because Beverly can do everything! She runs sickbay! She commands the night shift! She runs a drat theater company in her spare time! While Data, the android who doesn't even need sleep is slacking off playing Sherlock Holmes badly, she's organizing engineering conferences just for the hell of it!

It's perfectly reasonable that "Remember Me" Picard thought it made sense that they didn't need a crew besides her!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite thing about Rightful Heir is how Gowron starts out sounding like a paranoid rear end in a top hat with his "Kahless is a fake, this is all a plot by the priests against me" talk, and then he turns out to be absolutely right about everything.

Plus I love the scene where Gowron cross-examines Kahless on his story about the man and the wind. "What was he wearing? How tall was he? What color were his eyes?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zaroff posted:

The thing which gets missed about Suspicions is that Beverly should still be receiving disciplinary action despite everything that happened in the episode!

She was going to be disciplined for performing the autopsy on the Ferengi scientist, and even after solving the mystery she still did the autopsy.

It also makes me wonder whether Geordi was going to be hosting these scientists as this feels much more a technical rather than a medical situation, but they adapted it to be Beverly since she’s not really done much this season…

It really stands out that the premise doesn't make sense for her, but that episode really rules, and is a big argument for why they should've done more Detective Bev episodes.

scuse me, KARATE Detective Bev.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It would've fitted a lot more better if the experimental science something or other in the episode was biological, to get her into the plot more naturally, but the part where she gets extremely determined about something and won't stop fits her well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey, a person can have hobbies that aren't related to their job. I got the impression that she hosted the little symposium not because she cared about shield technology specifically, but because she cared about science that much and saw it as an opportunity to sponsor a promising new direction of research that needed some help.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Crusher wasn't just sponsoring a new direction of research, she was also sponsoring researchers who likely wouldn't even get seen in other places. I can't imagine, for example, Vulcan scientists taking Klingon or Ferengi warp researchers very seriously.

Also, it seems like every Starfleet officer has to be a scientific genius on some level. Even guys who go in wanting to be security had to have high level math and physics courses just for the opportunity to test to enter Starfleet Academy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Crusher is command qualified. I don't know exactly what that means in the context of Trek, really, but if it's anything like the US Navy that should mean she has at least a basic understanding of every critical system on the ship, right? It's not like TNG didn't demonstrate that she was competent as a ship's commander.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Crusher is command qualified. I don't know exactly what that means in the context of Trek, really, but if it's anything like the US Navy that should mean she has at least a basic understanding of every critical system on the ship, right? It's not like TNG didn't demonstrate that she was competent as a ship's commander.

That’s correct. She mentions it in the episode where she talks to Troi about how she enjoys taking night shifts as bridge commander, that it gives her a reason to stay up to date on everything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

V-Men posted:

Also, it seems like every Starfleet officer has to be a scientific genius on some level. Even guys who go in wanting to be security had to have high level math and physics courses just for the opportunity to test to enter Starfleet Academy.

As well the Enterprise was considered a very prestigious assignment so you'd expect even amongst starfleet she'd be considered highly educated/skilled/intelligent person.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
She had to be hypercompetent because if there'd been something wrong with her, it would have meant there was nothing wrong with the universe and we wouldn't have any stories to watch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But literally it was because it was a script written for Worf, some of the producers thought Worf was overused, and Jeri Taylor wanted to give Beverly something to do. Originally it was supposed to be a film noir thing with Detective Worf but it went through so many changes that suddenly you have the CMO of the flagship deeply invested in deflector shield physics, and the free flow of information in that particular scientific community

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I think her presence in the story makes enough sense because she only gets really invested in it (beyond the level of "it'd be nice if these assholes listened to Reyga") after a couple of autopsies and some medicobabble

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

But literally it was because it was a script written for Worf, some of the producers thought Worf was overused, and Jeri Taylor wanted to give Beverly something to do. Originally it was supposed to be a film noir thing with Detective Worf but it went through so many changes that suddenly you have the CMO of the flagship deeply invested in deflector shield physics, and the free flow of information in that particular scientific community

I feel like Worf would've been an even worse fit for the episode. Geordi probably would've been the best fit, but we just had a "Geordi solves a murder mystery" episode with Aquiel.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Less "Geordi solves a murder mystery" and more "Geordi rubs his trouser legs like Vic Reeves while a murder mystery goes on in the background".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Worf's logic in Conundrum is amazing.

I have this badass sash thing, so I'm definitely in charge.

This was on last night and it's hilarious how everyone goes with it

Riker walks up to Picard, points at the four pips on his collar, "looks like you're probably in charge." Worf is all *waves hands down body* "I too am decorated!" and in the next scene he's in the captain seat

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Riker: oh yeah? Well, check out these *tears off uniform to show nipple rings*

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

davidspackage posted:

This is a hilarious thing to see when I jump to the end of the thread and have no context other than it's Riker.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Two actual, factual Rikers in Second Chances. That's four whole nipple rings! It's a wild spin on the old "Enemy Within" TOS plot, with completely different sensibility and outcome. Riker and Riker are both exceptionally pissy towards one another, which is saying something considering how pissy Riker can sometimes be. Thinking back to Up the Long Ladder and his TURBO PISSY reaction to the idea of being cloned, this makes perfect sense. A compelling one, was not expecting that outcome. I take it Thomas Riker is never seen or heard of again? Let me just check Memory Alpha. Wow. Vaporised. Just his smoking boots remaining. And a single melted nipple ring. Crikey.

Timescape begins with everybody on the wacky baccy. Troi's is doing an accent, one that bounces alarmingly between Liverpudlian, Irish, Scottish and Gibberish, all while pulling faces like yer drunken aunt at a wedding. Then Picard attempts to one up her with another equally as silly accent, accompanied by lots of eye rolling and smirking at how WACKY he's being. Then Geordi starts sounding off like a pervert about how great it is to touch some plasma. So! Things are already weird! Then the time fuckery begins and while I'm sure it's all a load of technobabble bollocks that doesn't make a lick of sense, it's REALLY FUN technobabble nonsense where they just do a load of mad things with the concept of time going nuts for whatever reason. Alien babies trapped in the Romulan microwave or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Limited spoiler: Thomas Riker will return.

And it is glorious.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah he teams up with the crystalline entity and attempts to use its power to give cosmetic surgery to the galaxy and make everyone sexier (S5e04, "Silicone Avatar")

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 5, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

God S1 Odo is such a loving cop.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

after that he finds a borg cube that regained its individuality from the collective and teaches them the ways of love in a borg orgy (S6E26, "Borgy")

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

Tom Riker: rips off nipple rings

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Undiscovered Country is such a treat. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid but a lot of the Cold War allegory went over my head. Just watched it again a few days ago for the first time in probably 30 years. I think it's my favorite Star Trek movie.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Technowolf posted:

God S1 Odo is such a loving cop.

Odo is a fascist. I love the actor and performance and think the character is interesting, but he's a fascist and a fascist collaborator and there's nothing else to be said about it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's honestly very frustrating that DS9's writers were capable of understanding the problem with Dukat but (apparently) not seeing the issue with Odo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Odo is a fascist. I love the actor and performance and think the character is interesting, but he's a fascist and a fascist collaborator and there's nothing else to be said about it.

I don't think he is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For example, when he meets his people and they invite them to join their fascist empire he says 'no' and resists them. His arc even culminates in helping to defeat them and then returning to then to teach them that fascism is not the way.

I think subtle little clues in the storytelling like this help indicate that he may not be a fascist, but rather portray a conflicted character who struggles between his inate need for order and the ethics he has learnt living in a democratic, cosmopolitan society

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

No Dignity posted:

For example, when he meets his people and they invite them to join their fascist empire he says 'no' and resists them. His arc even culminates in helping to defeat them and then returning to then to teach them that fascism is not the way.

I think subtle little clues in the storytelling like this help indicate that he may not be a fascist, but rather portray a conflicted character who struggles between his inate need for order and the ethics he has learnt living in a democratic, cosmopolitan society

But acknowledging nuance like that means I can't win arguments by screaming "copaganda!!!!" at the top of my lungs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the real fascists are the bajorans who collaborate with their colonialist oppressors, the wormhole aliens.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Odo has fascist tendencies due to his very strict binary sense of right and wrong and his decades of experience watching solids be awful to each other. He’s very much a Lawful Neutral character and that rigidity is really only broken over time because of the influence of people like Kira and those fascist tendencies definitely lessen over the course of the show.

I don’t think you can make the argument that the Odo who travels to Cardassia to help organize a resistance movement against an actual fascist government is still a fascist himself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The problem isn't whether or not Odo is a fascist, it's the fact that the show really dances around ever engaging with the lovely things he's done. Not going along with the literal evil empire bent on brutal subjugation is a really, really, really low bar to clear, and he gets so close to not clearing it that Rom almost dies. And the resolution to that arc isn't even that Odo saves the day, it's just that Odo got lucky and nobody died yet.

"Things Past" is also really problematic for Odo in that even post-occupation his issue is with allowing three innocent people to be executed rather than the fact that the executions were inherently unjust under the circumstances.

Basically I have a ton of problems with how Odo is presented in DS9, but they're all really meta complaints about how the show as a whole is written. Characters are constantly either ignoring or making in-universe excuses for his behavior that don't really add up, but the alternative is treating Odo like a villain instead of a member of the main cast.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Odo literally does save the day in Sacrifice of Angels though? He has like the most classic 'good guy wavers and is tempted by evil, comes to his senses at the critical moment and pulls through for his friends when it counts' arc ever then

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

Basically I have a ton of problems with how Odo is presented in DS9, but they're all really meta complaints about how the show as a whole is written. Characters are constantly either ignoring or making in-universe excuses for his behavior that don't really add up, but the alternative is treating Odo like a villain instead of a member of the main cast.

Yeah, I feel like Odo gradually learns to temper his fascist tendencies with compassion, but the way the other characters just excuse his desires to round up and interrogate random people and establish curfews with "now now Constable" is the real standout issue.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No guys they said there was nothing more to be said about it!

He's a literal personification of a sentient brownshirt though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He literally collaborated with Dukat during the occupation and he and Kira can make any number of justifications for why his collaboration was different, but in the end he was a fascist collaborator.

It doesn't matter that he did good in not joining the Dominion because he literally already committed the crimes that matter.

Unless we're going with "first fascism is free".

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm trying to fill my punch card for the eleventh free Extra Fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

The Undiscovered Country is such a treat. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid but a lot of the Cold War allegory went over my head. Just watched it again a few days ago for the first time in probably 30 years. I think it's my favorite Star Trek movie.

Yeah same it loving ruled, probably the only movie I've ever seen where I was super hyped for it and it delivered.

e: lol when starfleet brought in their own cop because they didn't trust odo to cop properly but then their cop turned out to be a space libetarian revolutionary-cosplayer canadian convoy rear end in a top hat so I guess the moral here is uhh don't be a cop