Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

some kinda jackal posted:

They also booted Steny Hoyer from his office lol

So impotent. Let's see how you like it when you HAVE NO OFFICE

Eh, its not 'no office', its 'that second office you have right near the house well so you don't have to go back across the street to the congressional office building'.

Its a thing that they do as a courtesy to senior (both of age and time of service) members of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i always kinda of wanted to be the walking dead, bring on the zombie cell towers!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

World Famous W posted:

i always kinda of wanted to be the walking dead, bring on the zombie cell towers!

You won't like what Bruce Campbell does to you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao if a bunch of anti-vax maskphobes put on respirators because of imagined filovirus blood vapor

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cimber posted:

Eh, its not 'no office', its 'that second office you have right near the house well so you don't have to go back across the street to the congressional office building'.

Its a thing that they do as a courtesy to senior (both of age and time of service) members of the house.

I mean this is even pettier somehow lol

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

the best part is that this person seemingly believes that a real, no-poo poo zombie apocalypse is going to happen and their apparent emotional reaction to that is that it will be "sad"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cimber posted:

Either this is the pettiest "take that", or they're hoping to kill Pelosi with regular cardio. I mean, Donald Trump said that humans only have a finite amount of energy, so maybe they hope they can run down her battery by making her walk more!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

FYI: FEMA is conducting a national emergency test of their cellphone disaster system today at 2:20.

Every cell phone in the country within range of a cell tower will emit a loud noise and get a text alert.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fema-test-cellphone-emergency-alert-system-wednesday/story?id=103685822&cid=social_twitter_abcn

:siren:
Wanted to jump off this for a PSA. If you or anyone you know is a victim of DV and has a second, secret phone, make sure it is off during this alert, and only turn it back on in a safe area. Supposedly the alarm will still go off even if your phone is on silent, and may go off as soon as you turn your phone on, if it was off during the alert.

Be safe, people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ben Cardin has already made a big change on one of the issues he disagreed with Bob Menendez on since taking over as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee.

He's suspending all aid to Egypt until they can demonstrate significant progress on human rights.

Hopefully, he will start making some movements on normalizing relations with Cuba soon as well.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1709327165383193011

For the record, these were the big issues that he publicly disagreed with Menendez on that Menendez refused to bring up for votes:

- Implementing more stringent human rights conditions to foreign aid and military aid to U.S. allies.
- Normalizing relations with Cuba.
- More forcefully recognizing the Armenian Genocide and getting the U.S. more involved in stopping Azerbaijan's military efforts.
- Pushing for sanctions against Azerbaijan and an end to U.S. military assistance as a result of the killings in Armenia's Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Selling F-16 fighter jets to Turkey to reward them for playing nice with Greece/Iraq for the last few years and supporting Sweden joining NATO.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We send military aid to Azerbaijan?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1709543899876688265?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

We send military aid to Azerbaijan?

Sort of.

The U.S. is actually barred by law from providing aid to Azerbaijan for general purposes, but there is a waiver that allows the U.S. to provide aid to them only if it is part of a program to improve border security between Armenia and Azerbaijan or part of an international anti-terrorism program.

We give them a small amount of military aid to assist us in anti-terrorism efforts and as a carrot/bribe to be nice to Armenia. But, they stopped being nice to Armenia a few months ago.

Menendez and the Pentagon didn't want to cut off aid entirely because it would interfere with anti-terrorism efforts and remove leverage over the government. Cardin and some others wanted to remove aid as punishment and because they represent large Armenian populations who hate it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Can an acting/designated/etc speaker be hit with a motion to vacate?

Not really clear to me. The rulebook doesn't say it can happen, but it doesn't say it can't happen either. I feel like the answer is probably yes, and that it would probably lead to the next name on McCarthy's list being chosen.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cimber posted:

Yeah there's always some palace politics stories generated at the beginning of each session when all the offices get juggled around because all the congresspeople want the good offices close to the House Chamber, but also don't want to be next to Rep. FartsALot, or want to be close to the bathroom (this was a real issue for the women for a long time), or they need extra space for their staffers who otherwise get put in satellite offices outside the building. There's always a couple of good offices set aside for the majority and minority leadership, though apparently Republicans want to end that practice. Presumably the next GOP speaker will remove all the chairs from Democratic offices.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

OctaMurk posted:

Mccarthy is a dumbass. Why would pelosi back him up lol

Like hes actually an idiot, if thats true. Which maybe its not true because hes a liar

It is quite possible that she would have backed him up, but that possibility died when he reneged on his debt ceiling promises and was buried when the impeachment clown show was announced.

You don't get to pull that poo poo and then try and call in favors.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Can an acting/designated/etc speaker be hit with a motion to vacate?

More importantly, do they still become President if Biden and Harris keel over? Because lmao at the idea of President McHenry

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really clear to me. The rulebook doesn't say it can happen, but it doesn't say it can't happen either. I feel like the answer is probably yes, and that it would probably lead to the next name on McCarthy's list being chosen.

Does the acting speaker get to name his own secret list? (Congratulations, Acting Speaker McCarthy!)

Or do they have to just keep stepping through McCarthy's original list until it's empty or a new real Speaker gets elected?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If they three day limit doesn’t apply and the designated Speaker isn’t overly limited I could see them riding Designated Speaker McHenry out to 2024.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

It is quite possible that she would have backed him up, but that possibility died when he reneged on his debt ceiling promises and was buried when the impeachment clown show was announced.

You don't get to pull that poo poo and then try and call in favors.

It's all academic cause McCarthy decided to hold the vote..while Pelosi wasn't there, cause of Feinstein's death. Which makes him complaining about it at all incredibly silly.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

More importantly, do they still become President if Biden and Harris keel over? Because lmao at the idea of President McHenry

No, they aren't eligible. No acting official is: https://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-mccarthy-ouster-line-of-succession-house-speaker-vacant-2023-10

quote:

House Republicans have temporarily forced themselves out of the presidential line of succession.
Following Speaker Kevin McCarthy's ouster, the position of second in line to the presidency is vacant.
An expert on the line of succession told Insider it is clear McCarthy's temporary replacement does not count.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Nope. Speaker is currently skipped in the line of succession. Patty Murray would become President if a bomb took out both Biden and Harris at once in the next week.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jim Jordan and Steve Scalise both are running for Speaker. Other GOP leadership are all looking to move up one spot and not running for Speaker.

Jordan and Scalise are the only two candidates so far.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyAdragna/status/1709576874639188210

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
For those who are wondering, 3rd in line for the Presidency is now Patty Murray (D-WA), President Pro Tempore of the Senate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fuschia tude posted:

Congratulations, Acting Speaker McCarthy!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Still hilarious that Boehner found weed Jesus as soon as he left politics and is now on the board of the National Cannabis Roundtable. He's a weed lobbyist who just gets wine drunk, talks about weed, and gives interviews where he talks about how much he hates Ted Cruz now after spending 20 years calling it the devil's lettuce.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm a big dumb dumb.

Someone help me understand, like you would explain to a child, the strategic thinking behind the democrats going along with booting McCarthy-- my impression is that whoever the republicans choose to replace him is going to be just as bad or even more insane, and at least in this current moment it was McCarthy who was willing to delay a government shutdown and upset his colleagues for 45 days or whatever. He's a huge piece of poo poo but what will this accomplish?

Is this purely just an opportunity to let the republicans twist in the wind and engage in infighting since things are generally dysfunctional in the first place? Is there a hope that the replacement will be less "effective" as a speaker since it seems like nobody actually wants the job and the pickings are slim?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes. If your enemy keeps trying to poke themselves in the eye, you let them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Scoss posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb.

Someone help me understand, like you would explain to a child, the strategic thinking behind the democrats going along with booting McCarthy-- my impression is that whoever the republicans choose to replace him is going to be just as bad or even more insane, and at least in this current moment it was McCarthy who was willing to delay a government shutdown and upset his colleagues for 45 days or whatever. He's a huge piece of poo poo but what will this accomplish?

Is this purely just an opportunity to let the republicans twist in the wind and engage in infighting since things are generally dysfunctional in the first place? Is there a hope that the replacement will be less "effective" as a speaker since it seems like nobody actually wants the job and the pickings are slim?

1) McCarthy lied to them multiple times and broke deals.

2) They figured that McCarthy was so spineless that he was giving in to the worst elements of party regardless and wouldn't make a huge difference.

3) He tried to shut down the government, then went on Meet the Press to say it was all Democrats who voted to shut down the government by rejecting his spending bills, then defended Trump, and said that Democrats were playing politics and they wanted a shutdown and wanted January 6th to happen.

4) As part of his constant lying, he stripped out earmarks that Democrats put into bills that he promised he would allow and they had to go back and tell their constituents that the things they promised weren't happening.

5) He promised that he would only launch an impeachment inquiry into Biden with a vote, but then gave in and launched one with no evidence and without a vote to appease the same people who toppled him.

All of that basically pissed off even the Blue Dogs and the Problem Solver Caucus people to the point that 100% of Democrats wanted to make Republicans own the consequences of their terrible rules and deal-making to make them learn a lesson instead of bailing them out.

Edit: Oh, the other recent thing that made them angry was that they made a huge deal about implementing a new rule that required 3 days of delay before any vote to give them time to read the bill. But, when they tried to pass the latest CR McCarthy waived the rule and then denied the request from the Democrats to delay the vote for 90 minutes to give them a chance to read it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 4, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They can't really do anything anyway, so yeah, this takes over the news cycle and paints the Republicans as incompetent buffoons who can't keep their house in order.

Let them fight, kick back in your Fetterman sweats and eat popcorn while they flail.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) McCarthy lied to them multiple times and broke deals.

2) They figured that McCarthy was so spineless that he was giving in to the worst elements of party regardless and wouldn't make a huge difference.

3) He tried to shut down the government, then went on Meet the Press to say it was all Democrats who voted to shut down the government by rejecting his spending bills, then defended Trump, and said that Democrats were playing politics and they wanted a shutdown and wanted January 6th to happen.

4) As part of his constant lying, he stripped out earmarks that Democrats put into bills that he promised he would allow and they had to go back and tell their constituents that the things they promised weren't happening.

5) He promised that he would only launch an impeachment inquiry into Biden with a vote, but then gave in and launched one with no evidence and without a vote to appease the same people who toppled him.

All of that basically pissed off even the Blue Dogs and the Problem Solver Caucus people to the point that 100% of Democrats wanted to make Republicans own the consequences of their terrible rules and deal-making to make them learn a lesson instead of bailing them out.

Lets not forget giving the Jan 6th footage to Tucker Carlson.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Scoss posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb.

I read it as 50/50 "Don't interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake" and highschool drama club "Ugh screw that guy he was such an rear end in a top hat I'll piss in his cheerios".

Republicans have spent decades now screeching about pedophile satan worshipping Democratic vampires drinking adrenochrome coming to kick your puppy, now they're trying to act shocked that Democrats didn't reach across the aisle to save them from the monster of their own creation. It's more of the endless Fox fascist propaganda muddying the waters with two-faced bullshit to attack the enemy in place of policy or governance. This situation is entirely of their own making and it's a whirlwind they've been holding off reaping for a long rear end time. Might as well let them finally have it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scoss posted:

Is this purely just an opportunity to let the republicans twist in the wind and engage in infighting slim?

Yes, but

1) it's not clear the Republicans will be *able* to agree on a replacement any time soon, and

2) the Republicans are doing horrible poo poo and there's no short term reason for democrats to vote to allow them to do it.

In the long term maybe something like the debt ceiling might make supporting a compromise candidate worthwhile. We aren't there yet though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We might be there in 45 days when we need another CR to avert another shutdown

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Strategically there is also the hope that any speaker candidate will see what happened to McCarthy and might be willing to enter a power sharing agreement with Democrats in order to shore up support against the nutjob wing of their own party.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
So either there's no change (speaker functionally equivalent to McCarthy is elected,) they make themselves look awful to moderates or undecideds (unable to elect anyone and we get a circus of elections for the next month, they elect someone crazy who wants to shut down the government,) or they need to set up a power sharing agreement with the Dems to elect someone. There's not many downsides to enabling Republican infighting at this point, and very little reason to save them from themselves.

The Republicans made their bed, it's time to lie in it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe if they twist long enough some of them defect to Democrats just so they don't have to be part of the bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also here's an actual democrat saying why they didn't help.mccarthy. short version is they don't trust a word he says.

https://x.com/Fritschner/status/1709575159722512409?s=20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's the rub, there was no reason for the dems to NOT vote out Mccarthy and at the very least, it makes the news cycles talk about how the Republicans are in disarray, and best case scenario, the Democrats find a few Republicans that have decided they've had enough of the clownshow and throw in with the Dems out of spite to the lunatics.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
just a small heads up to people, if you post using x.com domain and not the twitter one, people reading the forum through the apps won't get them embedded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also this

https://x.com/BenjySarlin/status/1709585659512377365?s=20