Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check the food stall yatai area https://maps.app.goo.gl/TmwTg6cAhCiCtCe49

And definitely a day trip to Dazaifu shrine. Go to the smaller shrine in back with all the torii. Smell the forest. Start a goshuin (shrine stamps) obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The yatais are cool though they are very popular and have huge lines. If you go around other parts of town sometimes you'll see one set up without a crowd. I found a couple at the north end of Nakasu one night.

Genki Ippai tonkotsu ramen is absurdly good, there's nothing else like it. Do not do what I did and have that as your fourth bowl of the day. Don't bother getting chashu, you don't need it. alu coffee around the block from there is nice afterward.

Nishi Park is cool. Walk around Nakasu and Tenjin at night. Kumorebi is a great little sake bar, the owner doesn't really speak English but it's not a problem, she's nice.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The yatai stalls seem hecka cool and tasty but will it be fine for one who doesn't speak Japanese?

Oh drat the Genki Ippai place looks delicious. Writing that one down.

edit: I realize how dumb that question sounds.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 3, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Revitalized posted:

The yatai stalls seem hecka cool and tasty but will it be fine for one who doesn't speak Japanese?

Point at what you want. Hold up fingers to indicate quantity.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Revitalized posted:

No, sorry.

You are likely going to starve to death in Japan if you cannot speak the language.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

^ he's right

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Our airline for this trip is charging way more than normal for extra baggage (for a 30kg bag they're quoting €425). If we were to overdo it on the shopping are there any reasonably priced but still trustworthy shipping services for sending luggage back to the UK & Ireland? Don't really mind if it takes a while to get back, so long as it's in one piece and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

23kg is the normal limit.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yamato does international and there’s always DHL

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
This thread seems to be mostly about tourism rather than living in Japan, but I guess I'll try dropping my question in here anyway. Apologies in advance for a long post.

My 2 year old daughter has been going to a daycare for about a year now, and on Friday last week I got a call from them saying that she had been injured and they were going to take her to the hospital for a checkup. They mentioned grabbing her by the arm while she was running down the hallway and hearing a popping sound. I was out at city hall doing paperwork, and mom was busy at home with a newborn, so I let them take her.

I got another call a couple hours later saying that the hospital had checked her out and that she was fine. Since they said she was fine, I went to pick her up at her usual time, about 2 hours after the second call. When I got there, she was obviously in a lot of pain and started crying as soon as she saw me. She wasn't using her left arm at all. I asked them what the hospital had done, and they said the doctor had physically examined her and found that her arm was fine, but that no xrays had been taken. They assured me she was fine, so I decided to just take her home and see if she felt better after coming home and spending some time with family.

She was in pain all night and still in pain in the morning, so I took her to another clinic on Saturday and they immediately diagnosed it as a pulled elbow and fixed it. She started using the arm again within an hour or so and is now, 4 days later, maybe 90% back to normal, but she still seems to be using the injured arm a little less than before. I was told that she will now be at a higher risk for pulled elbows in the same arm until she's about 6 years old. In hindsight, I probably should have known it was a pulled elbow and grilled the daycare about it more when I went to pick her up, or taken her to another clinic right away instead of waiting a day. I feel like a pretty bad parent for not recognizing what is a common injury in children, but too late for that now.

Anyway, the question I'm trying to ask boils down to this, I guess: Should I keep trusting this daycare? I haven't had any problems with them up until now, but it seems pretty wild to me that all of the following happened: they grabbed my daughter's arm while she was running away, that the hospital missed diagnosing a pulled elbow, and that they told me everything was fine when she was clearly in pain and not using her injured arm for at least 2 hours after coming home from the hospital. I don't plan on suing the daycare or anything, but the whole incident has me more than a little concerned, and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

I already contacted the daycare on Monday and told them what happened. They were very apologetic, told me they would send an incident report to their headquarters (本部; it's a chain with multiple daycares), and told me they would share more details about how the accident happened and what happened at the hospital the next time I went to the daycare in person. She popped a fever of 38.4 last evening, though, so neither of us have been back yet.

Should I just let the whole thing slide? Should I contact the hospital they took her to and ask them about the examination myself? Is there anything specific I should ask the daycare when I meet them again? Is this pretty normal for how a daycare in Japan handles an injury?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
FYI this is the more living in Japan thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707512

I don't have anything really to add except that what you described sounds very quintessentially Japanese to me. Nothing about your story stood out to me at all as being atypical. That said, I don't have kids and don't have any experience with this in Japan so my reaction is probably worth gently caress all.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoggerific posted:

This thread seems to be mostly about tourism rather than living in Japan, but I guess I'll try dropping my question in here anyway. Apologies in advance for a long post.

My 2 year old daughter has been going to a daycare for about a year now, and on Friday last week I got a call from them saying that she had been injured and they were going to take her to the hospital for a checkup. They mentioned grabbing her by the arm while she was running down the hallway and hearing a popping sound. I was out at city hall doing paperwork, and mom was busy at home with a newborn, so I let them take her.

I got another call a couple hours later saying that the hospital had checked her out and that she was fine. Since they said she was fine, I went to pick her up at her usual time, about 2 hours after the second call. When I got there, she was obviously in a lot of pain and started crying as soon as she saw me. She wasn't using her left arm at all. I asked them what the hospital had done, and they said the doctor had physically examined her and found that her arm was fine, but that no xrays had been taken. They assured me she was fine, so I decided to just take her home and see if she felt better after coming home and spending some time with family.

——-

Should I just let the whole thing slide? Should I contact the hospital they took her to and ask them about the examination myself? Is there anything specific I should ask the daycare when I meet them again? Is this pretty normal for how a daycare in Japan handles an injury?

Is your main concern that they grabbed your child by the arm, or the way the injury was handled? This is a common injury for children, also known as “nursemaid’s elbow,” and doesn’t necessarily mean that they were being overly forceful with her; they might have just caught her at a weird angle. I would ask them for the details of what happened and ask for the same from the clinic. If everything matches up and sounds reasonable, it was probably just an accident.

Otherwise it sounds pretty typical to me. My kids were injured at daycare a few times and I always picked them up or met them at the hospital. Accidents do happen. Just from what you’ve posted it sounds like the daycare acted appropriately and the hospital made the mistake, but if you have other concerns with the daycare, you could always check with your city’s child welfare office and ask them to look into it, or find a different daycare.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yamato does international and there’s always DHL
I’ll check them out, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Agreed re: daycare. I think it's worse that the first hospital didn't recognize a pull/dislocation immediately.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

What LyonsLions said, and also you should definitely go and talk to them again in person if they're going to tell you more about what happened, that will help you make a decision about if you want ot continue or not.

Spoggerific posted:

I don't plan on suing the daycare or anything
Lol sorry but the mere thought of suing is such an American reaction.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

LyonsLions posted:

Is your main concern that they grabbed your child by the arm, or the way the injury was handled? This is a common injury for children, also known as “nursemaid’s elbow,” and doesn’t necessarily mean that they were being overly forceful with her; they might have just caught her at a weird angle. I would ask them for the details of what happened and ask for the same from the clinic. If everything matches up and sounds reasonable, it was probably just an accident.

Otherwise it sounds pretty typical to me. My kids were injured at daycare a few times and I always picked them up or met them at the hospital. Accidents do happen. Just from what you’ve posted it sounds like the daycare acted appropriately and the hospital made the mistake, but if you have other concerns with the daycare, you could always check with your city’s child welfare office and ask them to look into it, or find a different daycare.

Yeah, I was mostly aware of nursemaid's elbow before the injury happened. I've since spent a bunch of time looking it up out of worry, of course.

I know accidents happen, and I'm totally willing to forgive minor injuries, especially since there haven't been any prior incidents. There are two parts I'm a little worried/upset about, though: how the hospital missed a common injury in children with what (I assume as a layman) is a very common presentation; and how the daycare didn't realize that she was still in pain after coming back from the hospital. There were ~2 hours between when she came back to the daycare and when I went to pick her up, and when I went to pick her up she was obviously in pain and they told me she hadn't been using her injured arm at all. I feel like they could (maybe should?) have suspected that something was still wrong, but I guess that's pretty easy to say in hindsight. If a doctor were to tell me there's nothing wrong with me, it would probably take me a lot for me to start doubting them and wanting a second opinion.

I also haven't gone back to the daycare and heard the full story in person yet, so I guess I should wait until that happens before I pass any judgement. It's very reassuring to know that everything that happened is mostly normal. Thank you.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol sorry but the mere thought of suing is such an American reaction.

I only included that bit because I didn't want to sound like I was a crazy parent who was going to go overboard getting ~JUSTICE FOR MY CHILD~ or anything, but I guess I only succeeded in outing myself as an American instead.

The doctor who fixed my daughter's elbow at the second clinic did the "translate all medical terms into katakana" thing, which I would have found kind of funny if I hadn't been so worried about my daughter.

〇〇ちゃんのショルダーは大丈夫だけど、エルボーがディスロケートしたから…

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 4, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

To anyone who's been to the Gundam Factory Yokohama, are you able to buy entrance tickets to the facility itself (not the Gundam Dock Experience thingy where you get up close to the Gundam, just the factory) at the entrance itself, or do you have to prebook them online?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Revitalized posted:

Any other fun things to do in Fukuoka? Is the Fukuoka Tower worth checking out? Looks like it's next to a museum too. Any noteworthy eats besides the ramen stadium I should seek out?

I just left Fukuoka, but my one regret is not planning more time for Uminonakamichi Seaside Park.
Rent a bicycle there and cycle around enjoying the zoo, the pretty flowers and the sea!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had my first run in with the police yesterday, which is funny to me in rural Japan. We were waiting for the clouds to clear on Daisen to get a good shot on the way back from a cafe visit. I generally thought he was just asking if we were ok, but he rolls up, says he saw us on the local news (we have been on local tv a few times) and after doing a quick fan boy, asks us for our residence cards and registration on the bikes the guest house provided for us and runs their numbers thinking we stole them.

I had my passport on me and my friend didn’t, which ended up with them meeting us at our apartment. Two men in suits roll up, one playing good cop who knew the family hosting us and the other making a big stink, or as my hosts says, “being a huge dick about it”. The girl has the same first name as my middle name so they were getting real confused why I wasn’t there.

This is a town where they still talk about a melon thief from last year and Russian break ins from 30 years ago. My host says he’s going to complain cause he’s trying to run a hosting business and doesn’t need local cops messing with his guests.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

To anyone who's been to the Gundam Factory Yokohama, are you able to buy entrance tickets to the facility itself (not the Gundam Dock Experience thingy where you get up close to the Gundam, just the factory) at the entrance itself, or do you have to prebook them online?

Yeah i bought them at the gate and it was really easy (though the staff seemed oddly sure that we wanted the gundam dock tower experience thingy). I think they have a good capacity so I don't think you'd have a problem getting in.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Re: earlier chat about creating itineraries: Man work piled it on so hard in the last two weeks that I've had no time or energy to do any planning about anything at all. Even just getting hotels booked was a poo poo ton of work for me that I barely got done. I'm amazed at folks that can go so far as to organize restaurants.

Heading off tomorrow and pretty much all I got organized is booked hotels and a general vibe that at a high level, there's some reasonably interesting things to see or do in every town I'm hitting. That's it. Nothing else planned due to a complete lack of time. Big thanks to my employer for the unpaid over time work here.

Will be arriving in Osaka and hanging out for a few days with a friend of mine who lives there, then to Kyoto for four days, to Kanazawa for two days, Matsumoto for a day, then Tokyo for a week.

Anyone have any opinions on like iOS japanese phrasebooks or something so I can figure out how to buy a beer when I land lol. I can download something at the airport tomorrow.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah i bought them at the gate and it was really easy (though the staff seemed oddly sure that we wanted the gundam dock tower experience thingy). I think they have a good capacity so I don't think you'd have a problem getting in.

That's good to hear, guess I get to break out some broken Japanese to firmly decline any Gundam dock tower ticket upgrades.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Autodrop Monteur posted:

I just left Fukuoka, but my one regret is not planning more time for Uminonakamichi Seaside Park.
Rent a bicycle there and cycle around enjoying the zoo, the pretty flowers and the sea!
How much time did you have in Fukuoka overall or would recommend spending there?

I ended up booking the trip I was talking about earlier, so I'll be flying to Korea and the plan is to then make my way to Busan and taking a ferry/flight to Fukuoka. The trip is still months away so I'm not planning anything too specific but I'm curious since you were just there.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I had my first run in with the police yesterday, which is funny to me in rural Japan. We were waiting for the clouds to clear on Daisen to get a good shot on the way back from a cafe visit. I generally thought he was just asking if we were ok, but he rolls up, says he saw us on the local news (we have been on local tv a few times) and after doing a quick fan boy, asks us for our residence cards and registration on the bikes the guest house provided for us and runs their numbers thinking we stole them.

I had my passport on me and my friend didn’t, which ended up with them meeting us at our apartment. Two men in suits roll up, one playing good cop who knew the family hosting us and the other making a big stink, or as my hosts says, “being a huge dick about it”. The girl has the same first name as my middle name so they were getting real confused why I wasn’t there.

This is a town where they still talk about a melon thief from last year and Russian break ins from 30 years ago. My host says he’s going to complain cause he’s trying to run a hosting business and doesn’t need local cops messing with his guests.
Lol wasn't there just a conversation about carrying your passport with you. Seems like a good case for always having it on you then, especially since having it stolen is pretty unlikely in Japan.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had the feeling to carry it that day, esp after reading passport chat. Definitely have left stuff out and have never had anything stolen after a month here.

Wrapping up the farming program and now will be traveling around for a month. I’m thinking of being a coordinator for this org and coming back for their spring trip as an employee. Japan is pretty great.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Femtosecond posted:

Anyone have any opinions on like iOS japanese phrasebooks or something so I can figure out how to buy a beer when I land lol. I can download something at the airport tomorrow.
Assuming you have a pocket Wi-Fi or eSIM for internet access, Google translate will cover everything you need much easier than phrase books.

Apple translate… exists, but I still don’t think I’d trust it over Google yet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My boss brought airpods with some kind of instant translation app and it gives funny approximations of conversations.
It can't handle multiple speakers, background noise, or accents at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's also DeepL translator whic does seem to work a bit better than Google: https://www.deepl.com/Translator

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

There's also DeepL translator whic does seem to work a bit better than Google: https://www.deepl.com/Translator

It's just better at pretending to be good. (Machine translators can be useful for basic communication, but need to be used with care. I've seen many cases of especially DeepL just quietly skipping over entire sentences. If you need to use them, use them on short, simple sentences, written specifically for it, with absolutely spot-on grammar and spelling, and plenty of context included.)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yes please write simple sentences in translators. I’ve had better luck with those plus some body language.

Bee—ru oh-nay-guy-she-ma-s

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

One bucket of bees, coming right up sir

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Assuming you have a pocket Wi-Fi or eSIM for internet access, Google translate will cover everything you need much easier than phrase books.

Apple translate… exists, but I still don’t think I’d trust it over Google yet.

drat yea this is pretty good. At first I thought it wasn't going to help because it gave me a bunch of not-romanji, but then on clicking it went to a full translation with romanji and audio(!)

"I'd like a beer" yielded "biru ga hoshidesu"

and "I would like a beer" yielded "watashi wa biru ga nomitaidesu"

That's pretty impressive that it seems like it figures out that one is more casual than the other and changes accordingly (?).

"I'd like a beer please" yields "biru o onegaishimasu" which seems like a really short and casual way to ask for a beer with a please on the end!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

drat yea this is pretty good. At first I thought it wasn't going to help because it gave me a bunch of not-romanji, but then on clicking it went to a full translation with romanji and audio(!)

Both these are kind of weird tho, the former especially. But sure, they'll get your idea across.

Remember the old trick with machine translations: Ask it to translate the result back too. For those two it'd probably end up something like "I wish for beer." and "I would like to drink beer."

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

That's pretty impressive that it seems like it figures out that one is more casual than the other and changes accordingly (?).
Nah, it's still trying to translate it literally. You added a word so the translation adjusted. Even then it's not really natural but it'll get your point across.

First one is basically "I want beer".

Second one is "I want to drink beer."

Not exactly what you were trying to convey with the English but the listener will at least understand your point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How does that compare to DeepL? It offers a few options and I can barely tell they're even different lol:

I'd like/would like a beer are the same: ビールが飲みたい or ビールが欲しい or ビールがほしい
I'd like a beer please ビールをください or ビールを頼む or ビールをお願いします。
Can I have a beer, please?: ビールをいただけますか?or ビールを一杯くれないか? or ビールを1本ください

I've used it to translate Japanese->English and the results made more sense than google so that's my only reference.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In case you haven’t tried it yet, the camera function in Google Translate is super handy too. Quite often you’ll get some jibberish but keep trying and you can at least is the idea of what some writing says.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mobby_6kl posted:

How does that compare to DeepL? It offers a few options and I can barely tell they're even different lol:

I'd like/would like a beer are the same: ビールが飲みたい or ビールが欲しい or ビールがほしい
I'd like a beer please ビールをください or ビールを頼む or ビールをお願いします。
Can I have a beer, please?: ビールをいただけますか?or ビールを一杯くれないか? or ビールを1本ください

I've used it to translate Japanese->English and the results made more sense than google so that's my only reference.

They're not really that different.

I want to drink (a) beer. I want beer. I want beer again but this time without kanji.
Beer please. (I) ask for a beer. Beer, please.
Is it possible to receive a beer? polite form (keigo). (can you) give me a (counter word) of beer? again, polite form. A bottle of beer please.

Probably the most natural one is just beer, please (ビール(をお願いします)) or not listed, もういっぱい(お願いします) for your second+ order.

Machine translations are generally pretty good for getting the meaning across but generally pretty bad for colloquialisms and casual conversation.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ah see this is all why a phrase book would be good

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Beer kudasai.
Okawari kudasai.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

peanut posted:

Beer kudasai.
Okawari kudasai.

Lol this is what googling suggested as the best bet. Feels like that’s going to end up being what I do.

That and my friend who has been there for months simply telling me what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Make sure you use the exact correct phrase or the guy behind the bar will laugh at you and kick you out.