Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

We already have the shittiest name for our moon and that’s our own drat fault. Every other planet gets cool moon names.

My name is Luna
I live on the second floor
I live upstairs from you
Yes I think you've seen me before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

aardwolf posted:

My name is Luna
I live on the second floor
I live upstairs from you
Yes I think you've seen me before

Insane that this made me think of a Penny Arcade comic and not the actual song

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If we're doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDkY3NCGxK8

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We have the best moon, and the best sun. The reason no aliens have contacted us is that they're embarrassed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's going to be that thing where everyone just calls their star "Sun" and their moon "Moon". Like how in a bunch of languages the name of the language translates to "language" and the term for the people who speak it translates to "people".

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Moon loving rocks, it's the same size in the sky as the sun. Earth has the best goddamn solar eclipses

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Only just now, for this geologically brief period where the moon's orbital radius is just right, which happens to be when we're around to see them and go 'that rules'.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Embarrassed to talk to aliens about our large adult sun

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ArcMage posted:

Only just now, for this geologically brief period where the moon's orbital radius is just right, which happens to be when we're around to see them and go 'that rules'.

We'll tell the aliens about the dope eclipses we used to have and they won't believe us.

Then again, neither will most of humanity.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Hyperlynx posted:

It's going to be that thing where everyone just calls their star "Sun" and their moon "Moon". Like how in a bunch of languages the name of the language translates to "language" and the term for the people who speak it translates to "people".

I mean we did also name our planet Dirt, so :shrug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Luna is a dope name sorry

And so is Sol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Empty Sandwich posted:

you're thinking of Alans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvR3y5JCXg

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hyperlynx posted:

I read a SciFi short story years ago where somebody finds an alien on Earth who introduces themselves as a "human" from the planet "Earth" around the star "Sun" for that reason. It's a throwaway bit in the story, but a nice touch.

Can't remember the name of the story though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

And who can forget about mount Mountain

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dialhforhero posted:

We already have the shittiest name for our moon and that’s our own drat fault. Every other planet gets cool moon names.

They will probably be around a star with a badass name like Betelgeuse (rip) or something and will laugh at us for naming our star “Sol (aka sun)”.

We are but fools.

It's a perfectly fine name, we're just too used to it. Literally any name we could give it would have become the standard name for moons.

The root of the problem is that we only had one moon. But this can be fixed.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

lol these are both great

dialhforhero posted:

We already have the shittiest name for our moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxdtkfnvg-Y&t=19s

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Make friends

Bit unrealistic to think that about humans

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

kazil posted:

The Moon loving rocks, it's the same size in the sky as the sun. Earth has the best goddamn solar eclipses
Then let’s look for aliens amongst eclipse observers, because this might be most interesting thing about our planet. Perfect time to catch some dumbass alien tourist.

I’m sure this wasn’t my idea.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

I read a SciFi short story years ago where somebody finds an alien on Earth who introduces themselves as a "human" from the planet "Earth" around the star "Sun" for that reason. It's a throwaway bit in the story, but a nice touch.

It happens in High Wizardry by Diane Duane for sure but I'm sure it's not the only story that does it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ArcMage posted:

Eh, the last eclipse will be like 600 million years from now. We'll be gone long before that. One way or another.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Elissimpark posted:

Wings by Terry Pratchett includes a really wonderful look at this idea.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

We have the best moon, and the best sun. The reason no aliens have contacted us is that they're embarrassed.

Don't get cocky kid. The apparent size of the moon changes enough that sometimes we get annular eclipse.

If all that's preventing those grabby aliens from steam rolling our planet is our eclipses, we'd better be damned careful which ones we advertise.

https://www.planetary.org/articles/what-is-an-annular-solar-eclipse?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8L--e_bgQMVJRatBh0vdw2bEAAYAiAAEgKAofD_BwE

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

HPanda posted:

We could just start calling it “The Good Moon”. Let those other civilizations know what we think about their off-brand moons.

The Original Moon

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Moon Classic

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Moon moon

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Moon (4,530,000,000 BC)

Not as good as Moon (2009)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We should change the name of the moon to whoever discovered it first. Let's start asking around and find out who that was.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lobok posted:

We should change the name of the moon to whoever discovered it first. Let's start asking around and find out who that was.

hate to rain on your party, but it was John Moon in 1845

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Probably Ugg Gluk of the Neanderthals.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

“Look! The Ugg is beautiful tonight!”

e:f;b

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lobok posted:

That would probably be some trilobite or other shortly after evolving eyes became a thing 540 million years ago or so.

"Oh look it's a lovely full trilobite tonight!" Yeah, that works.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Remulak posted:

Then let’s look for aliens amongst eclipse observers, because this might be most interesting thing about our planet. Perfect time to catch some dumbass alien tourist.

I’m sure this wasn’t my idea.

Probably the one interesting conceit from Iain M Banks's Transitions, unfortunately just kinda glued onto the tail end of a story built around a completely different and much less coherent conceit.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Soul Dentist posted:

i think at this point one out of every two pets is named this

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah our black lab was called like Luna Shade or some dumb poo poo when we adopted her. We renamed her “Isla”. Just glad she didn’t imprint on that first one, luckily she was still a 4 month old pup.

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Oct 4, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

And who can forget about mount Mountain

Don't forget the River River

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah our black lab was called like Luna Shade or some dumb poo poo when we adopted her. We renamed her “Isla”. Just glad she didn’t imprint on that first one, luckily she was still a 4 moth old pup.
Is that in human or dog moths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The Original Moon

Famous Earth's Original Moon