Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t get why anyone thinks that Dems should take responsibility for any of this poo poo show

It’s entirely friendly fire from within the GOP caucus, and we knew it was pretty inevitable when McCarthy agreed to those strict concessions as he accepted the speaker position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

World Famous W posted:

just a small heads up to people, if you post using x.com domain and not the twitter one, people reading the forum through the apps won't get them embedded
not that this is bad mind you. so many contextless links i don't feel pressured to click

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I saw this story talking about possibly expelling Matt Gaetz from the Republican caucus. Anyone think this is a possible outcome of this speakership thing? I'm curious if enough Republicans are going to take on the part of the caucus that seems even less interested in governing than most of the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/10/03/matt-gaetz-republicans-kevin-mccarthy/

quote:

“I’d love to have him out of the conference,” Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.) told reporters Tuesday. “ … He shouldn’t be in the Republican Party.”

quote:

"And Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-Wis.), seething on the House steps after the vote, said: “I will always put the best interests of the United States of America and my constituents above my own personal feelings. And clearly Matt Gaetz can’t do that.”

Also, does anybody else hate when the news uses the word ouster instead of oust or ousted. They all mean the same thing basically, but ouster sounds so bad to the ear, seems like it should be the person who does the ousting but it just means "to oust" as well and the news loves to say ouster.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t get why anyone thinks that Dems should take responsibility for any of this poo poo show

It’s entirely friendly fire from within the GOP caucus, and we knew it was pretty inevitable when McCarthy agreed to those strict concessions as he accepted the speaker position

if its anything real and not just trolling, its beltway nonsense columnists that need to file something, anything and have been conditioned over the last decade+ to go for clicks.

On the speaker replacement drama, I don't think anyone can get to the threshold because funding/not funding Ukraine will be the litmus test. Diehards will say no funding and won't get any dems to support and any "bi-partisan" candidate who says yes to funding won't get the diehards or will be immediately vacated once in.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Something about how the Dems are supposed to be the adults in the room and stop the Republicans from dousing themselves in gasoline and self-immolating, but shouldn't expect any favors in return? I think that was the narrative McCarthy was spinning after being ousted.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I wonder if the emergency test is going to go through android auto/car play when it goes off. Gonna be at a stop light and hear a LOT of full blast emergency tones interrupting peoples podcasts and audiobooks

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also worth imagining a mirror situation where the Democrats were the majority party and whether Republicans would vote to keep in a Democratic speaker in order to keep things running smoothly (Answer: hahahahaha no).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kind of impressive that the next Speaker of the House is either going to be the socially conservative warrior for traditional values - who let just a little bit of gay sexual assault happen to some teens under his watch without reporting it because the molester was a really good coach - or the guy with no testicles who self-identifies as "David Duke without the baggage" and thinks that is a positive framing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Happy to hear a pissed off GOP House representative whining on NPR this morning about how gosh darn unfair it all is.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's Fox-brand propaganda bullshit. That wing of poo poo heads and their entire media ecosphere is the one pumping out this framing that it was Democrats who voted to make this happen. An entirely equally valid framing is "Extremist Republican representatives held a bipartisan vote to oust McCarthy". Same facts, both perfectly valid, but they're not screaming that from the hilltops now are they? That would be framing true patriot eagle warrior MAGAs as something other than fighting the enemy. Can't have that.

It's 100% DARVO bullshit propaganda to attack their enemies as redirection from their own failures.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Does the acting speaker get to name his own secret list? (Congratulations, Acting Speaker McCarthy!)

Or do they have to just keep stepping through McCarthy's original list until it's empty or a new real Speaker gets elected?

Nope, only real Speakers get to make a list. If McHenry is unable to serve for whatever reason, Acting Speaker goes to the next person on the list. If the list runs out of people, I think they'd have to fallback to option 2 and elect an Acting Speaker.

Scoss posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb.

Someone help me understand, like you would explain to a child, the strategic thinking behind the democrats going along with booting McCarthy-- my impression is that whoever the republicans choose to replace him is going to be just as bad or even more insane, and at least in this current moment it was McCarthy who was willing to delay a government shutdown and upset his colleagues for 45 days or whatever. He's a huge piece of poo poo but what will this accomplish?

Is this purely just an opportunity to let the republicans twist in the wind and engage in infighting since things are generally dysfunctional in the first place? Is there a hope that the replacement will be less "effective" as a speaker since it seems like nobody actually wants the job and the pickings are slim?

Apparently, McCarthy has been a total rear end in a top hat to the Dems during his time as Speaker, so all the Dems (even the moderates!) hate him on a personal level and believe he's an unprincipled piece of poo poo who can't be trusted. On top of that, the entire reason he was in this dilemma in the first place was because he's consistently refused any hint of compromise or cooperation with Democrats, choosing instead to make massive concessions to the Freedom Caucus types and play along with some absolutely scummy policy demands. Even when he did offer Dems deals, he had a tendency to not keep to those deals.

There isn't going to be any remotely acceptable Speaker as long as the candidates would rather deal with Gaetz than with Jeffries, so might as well let Republicans eat themselves until they get sick of each other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For once I agree with this guy, which says a lot. The Dems had no control over this situation at all and to say otherwise is just bad faith nonsense

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1709568786389443026?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Scoss posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb.

Someone help me understand, like you would explain to a child, the strategic thinking behind the democrats going along with booting McCarthy-- my impression is that whoever the republicans choose to replace him is going to be just as bad or even more insane, and at least in this current moment it was McCarthy who was willing to delay a government shutdown and upset his colleagues for 45 days or whatever. He's a huge piece of poo poo but what will this accomplish?

Is this purely just an opportunity to let the republicans twist in the wind and engage in infighting since things are generally dysfunctional in the first place? Is there a hope that the replacement will be less "effective" as a speaker since it seems like nobody actually wants the job and the pickings are slim?

Usually the argument against "they made their bed, let them deal with it"/accelerationism/etc is that innocent people get hurt in the collapse. This here is a rare chance where the only people getting hurt from this boondoggle (for the next >45 days) are the Congressional Republicans themselves, so gently caress 'em.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has Trump weighed in on McCarthy getting the boot or taken sides with or against Gaetz?

You would think his particular hot take would be the most sought after.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gurragadon posted:

I saw this story talking about possibly expelling Matt Gaetz from the Republican caucus. Anyone think this is a possible outcome of this speakership thing? I'm curious if enough Republicans are going to take on the part of the caucus that seems even less interested in governing than most of the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/10/03/matt-gaetz-republicans-kevin-mccarthy/

Also, does anybody else hate when the news uses the word ouster instead of oust or ousted. They all mean the same thing basically, but ouster sounds so bad to the ear, seems like it should be the person who does the ousting but it just means "to oust" as well and the news loves to say ouster.

It's distinctly possible, lots of House Republicans hate him. Is that number large enough to kick him out of the caucus (two thirds of them) instead of something much more toothless like censuring him or removing his committee seats? Maybe! 2/3rds of all house Republicans is 148 votes to expel, which is a lot, but he has done a heroic job of pissing almost everybody else in the House off.

e: even funnier, if there are the votes in conference to expel him from the caucus, there are definitely also the votes in the whole House to expel him from Congress. At the moment they probably wouldn't do that, but there's an ethics committee report due at some point...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zwabu posted:

Has Trump weighed in on McCarthy getting the boot or taken sides with or against Gaetz?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
There has to be a "moderate" repub willing to usurp power who can get 20 GOP votes and could make a palatable concession to the Dems, something like "I'll let anything you put forward go to the floor for a vote".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

NomNomNom posted:

There has to be a "moderate" repub willing to usurp power who can get 20 GOP votes and could make a palatable concession to the Dems, something like "I'll let anything you put forward go to the floor for a vote".

Those Republicans would be killing their careers, because they'd never win another primary or election - Republican voters would see them as traitors, and Democratic voters would probably prefer one of their own. What would they even get out of it?

Even if there was a debt ceiling crisis or shutdown looming, a few Republicans agreeing to side with Democrats just to get past that crisis could be the end of their careers. That's exactly what we just saw happen to McCarthy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean, it's also what happened to Boehner and Ryan, too. They compromised with dems to avoid collapsing the government and rather than deal with the consequences resigned afterwards.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Zwabu posted:

Reporters asked him if he thought McCarthy should be saved while the debate was going on when he stepped outside of his trial for a moment. He very pointedly ignored the questions and refused to offer any support for McCarthy who was obviously toast at that point. Trump doesn’t back anyone with the stink of a loser.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

It must be such a cool existence, just getting programmed with literally whatever and it just becoming true in your brain with none of those boring middle steps. Yeah, vaccines react to emergency pings and make you a zombie. I've always believed that my whole life.

Obviously the vaccine contained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMsboqMMzs&t=17s

FlamingLiberal posted:

For once I agree with this guy, which says a lot. The Dems had no control over this situation at all and to say otherwise is just bad faith nonsense

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1709568786389443026?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

It's not just DC punditry that does this either, frustratingly enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: doublepost

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nazzadan posted:

I wonder if the emergency test is going to go through android auto/car play when it goes off. Gonna be at a stop light and hear a LOT of full blast emergency tones interrupting peoples podcasts and audiobooks

Texas does this already for Amber alerts and it’s miserable. Oh, be on the lookout for a white ford pickup seven hours away? You got it mr Abbott

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/RepCarlos/status/1709611565169725641

If only someone would reform this agreement we agreed to so McCarthy could be speaker in the first place

Kale
May 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty accurate take IMO

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
What would the timing of making that kind of rule change be? For example, could Gaetz motion to vacate the chair again the second a new one is elected, or would the new chair be able to make changes to the rules regarding vacating the chair before it's invoked?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Harlock posted:

https://twitter.com/RepCarlos/status/1709611565169725641

If only someone would reform this agreement we agreed to so McCarthy could be speaker in the first place
Not a lot of bright bulbs on the GOP side these days

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

burnishedfume posted:

What would the timing of making that kind of rule change be? For example, could Gaetz motion to vacate the chair again the second a new one is elected, or would the new chair be able to make changes to the rules regarding vacating the chair before it's invoked?

From what I recall of the original McCarthy speaker election mess, the rule change and the speaker selection are in the same motion and go into effect simultaneously. There won't be a period where there's a new speaker and old rules

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

burnishedfume posted:

I believe that the rules package and the election of a new Speaker are part of the same... action? I don't know what to call it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: look at all these old white men shitlords lining up to be speaker so far

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jim Jordan saw that promising everything to everyone - even when those promises were mutually contradictory (also known as lying) - was part of the reason McCarthy was deposed as Speaker... but, he could only be deposed as Speaker if he first got elected Speaker. Since he was elected Speaker by doing that, then it must be a good idea to try and do the same thing.

He has reportedly told different groups of people that:

- He definitely will allow a vote on Ukraine aid.
- He definitely won't allow a vote on Ukraine aid.
- He wouldn't force battleground members to make difficult votes on impeachment or messaging bills.
- He will make sure that the House passes strong conservative messaging bills to put the ball in the Senate's court.
- He will force through impeachment and subpoena votes to achieve maximum oversight and a successful impeachment.
- That he will not dramatically reform the rules agreed to under McCarthy.
- That he will take a look at reforming the rules agreed to under McCarthy.

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1709610531307348278

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

I believe that the rules package and the election of a new Speaker are part of the same... action? I don't know what to call it.

Actually, they are resolved using APNAP, but don't forget to check for state based effects and replacement effects. And god help you if there are layers involved

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1709594907118031136

He doesn't give a gently caress about anything that's not him.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
it is finished

are we all zombies now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a sudden craving for a new cell phone and a brain

Kale
May 14, 2010

deoju posted:

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1709594907118031136

He doesn't give a gently caress about anything that's not him.

Great answer, really makes you think

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
oh god i feel the nanonbots activating

free mars!!!!

predicto fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 4, 2023

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

World Famous W posted:

it is finished

are we all zombies now?

I'm an idiot who got vaxxed, so to prevent it I drank all the bleach under my sink. It's currently fighting against the zombification in my stomach. It hurts a lot, but I can feel it working!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It wasn't even that loud, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I, for one, welcome