Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we're in the process of terraforming earth, but it's not going so well.

It's actually going incredibly well although some people are terribly impatient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

justcallhimdragon posted:

wet one, happy one

a cricket got into our bed and i accidentally kung-fu chopped its leg off, then took it outside while apologizing fiercely

oh yeah uhh biosphere: our queen left the hive this summer, rip our bees. no one wants to reproduce anymore

i've a ball of bees under a hive that swarmed then returned but didn't go back inside. they're going to die this winter and i feel bad about it but don't have extra hives/comb/resources to give them :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I mean ok, the generation ship develops its problems, but no tech bro is gonna read it and think "wow this totally undermines my enthusiasm for space flight". The generation ship, despite its problems, is a marvel
it’s not just that it has problems, they ALL have problems.

I guess I’ll spoiler this cause the book is good and people in this thread would like it imo.
They keep sending out generation ships and every single one eventually stops responding. Not only are they unable to establish permanent colonies on exoplanets, but all the colonies within the solar system are also completely dependent on earth including the individual people in them. The stuff about people having to take a “sabbatical” back to earth otherwise their life expectancy is like 30 years shorter was dire. The point was that we evolved on earth and are permanently tethered to this planet, regardless of technological advancement. And the implication is that this is true for all life everywhere, it can only survive where it evolved thus exploration is limited and expansion is futile. We are stuck here forever so we’d better make the most of it.

But yeah tech bros can misunderstand the simplest of messages so I’m sure plenty have read it and thought “wow, they just needed smarter people like me to design their generation ship and rule it’s internal politics!”

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Oct 4, 2023

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

so Hansen has a new paper out talking more about the Earth Energy Imbalance
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/FlyingBlind.14September2023.pdf

quote:

The proximate cause of the global warming is Earth’s energy imbalance (EEI): there is more energy coming in (absorbed sunlight) than energy going out (heat radiated to space). EEI increased greatly in the past decade (Fig. 4). The imbalance so far in the 2020s (1.36 W/m2) is almost double the rate (0.71 W/m2) during the calibration period (mid-2005 through mid-2015)

i'm not a scientist, but the EEI having doubled since 2015 seems extremely concerning???

according to Hansen this is mainly because of the decrease in aerosols from the global shipping industry as they started using cleaner fuel around 2015

quote:

The upshot is strong indirect evidence that an ongoing decrease of particulate air pollution is in the process of increasing absorption of solar energy by Earth, which adds to greenhouse gas global warming. We predict at least a 50 percent increase of the post-2010 global warming rate, compared to the 1970-2010 rate of 0.18°C/decade.9 This is a partial payment in return for the Faustian bargain that humanity made when it chose to build its economies on fossil fuel energy.

so we're looking at around 2.5C at 2050 (probably more considering feedback cycles and that we're still increasing emissions lol)

at least we know how to slow down the heating - just reintroduce the dirty sulfur bunker oil again! and this time they can also sell carbon credits from it. win-win if you ask me

Kal has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Oct 4, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It would actually be extremely terrifying if reduced aerosols from cleaner shipping had that much of an impact that quickly. Like that really does not bode well for our ability to use aerosols as a mitigation strategy without drastically loving something up much more quickly than we can react.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I went for a walk in nature today and the realisation came to me that there are microplastics in every leaf, every blade of grass, every tree, the soil, the water. All of the animals and birds and bugs. Every drop of rain. All made at least a little bit of plastic.

Instead of feeling sad though, I laughed. A beautiful magnum opus. A legacy of which to be proud. Homo Plasticus.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

kyojin posted:

I went for a walk in nature today and the realisation came to me that there are microplastics in every leaf, every blade of grass, every tree, the soil, the water. All of the animals and birds and bugs. Every drop of rain. All made at least a little bit of plastic.

Instead of feeling sad though, I laughed. A beautiful magnum opus. A legacy of which to be proud. Homo Plasticus.

Don't forget about all the plastic in your blood!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Don't forget about all the plastic in your blood!

And PP!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
microplastics are stored in the micropenis

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SixteenShells posted:

microplastics are stored in the micropenis

Microplastics actually make the penis longer!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

What if the Thwaites glacier falls into the ocean? That would be worth one hell of a hearty LOL.

I bought a house in an inland city, so my value would go UP UP UP!

C'mon you loving coward glacier

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

What if the Thwaites glacier falls into the ocean? That would be worth one hell of a hearty LOL.

i think someone did the math and it was like 6 months before it would melt completely causing manhattan to look like it got 8 inches of rain all the time

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

[Biosphere] getting 8 inches, all the time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

It would actually be extremely terrifying if reduced aerosols from cleaner shipping had that much of an impact that quickly. Like that really does not bode well for our ability to use aerosols as a mitigation strategy without drastically loving something up much more quickly than we can react.
I thought this was already all but confirmed? I recall a bunch of discussion in this thread about it several months ago, during the summer temperature spikes and extreme artic temps

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
6 months? That's two quarters away

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Paradoxish posted:

Chemtrails not just real, but good

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I'm seeing these news stories from the past couple of days how Paris is thoroughly infested with bed bugs, showcasing the bugs crawling out of home furniture, supposedly embedded in the public transport, in movie theater seats, etc. Apparently, there is an appeal to mount a national level response to control the outbreak which involves a lot of chemical warfare on the insect population of France for the sake of the upcoming Olympics.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of thwaites, y'all wanna read some excellent cope?

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/there-no-doomsday-glacier-thwaites

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Rip Testes posted:

I'm seeing these news stories from the past couple of days how Paris is thoroughly infested with bed bugs, showcasing the bugs crawling out of home furniture, supposedly embedded in the public transport, in movie theater seats, etc. Apparently, there is an appeal to mount a national level response to control the outbreak which involves a lot of chemical warfare on the insect population of France for the sake of the upcoming Olympics.

bed bugs are just what they call native parisians

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bed bugs can go to hell and if every other living thing has to be collateral damage then so be it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Bed bugs can go to hell and if every other living thing has to be collateral damage then so be it

I have some good news for you

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Kal posted:

so Hansen has a new paper out talking more about the Earth Energy Imbalance
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/FlyingBlind.14September2023.pdf

i'm not a scientist, but the EEI having doubled since 2015 seems extremely concerning???

according to Hansen this is mainly because of the decrease in aerosols from the global shipping industry as they started using cleaner fuel around 2015

so we're looking at around 2.5C at 2050 (probably more considering feedback cycles and that we're still increasing emissions lol)

at least we know how to slow down the heating - just reintroduce the dirty sulfur bunker oil again! and this time they can also sell carbon credits from it. win-win if you ask me

Yeah this seems like a great setup for ruining things even further with some aerosol injections! My gut feeling is that'll get started sometime around 2028-2029. Fun times

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Microplastics posted:

This is how I feel about mosquitoes. At least we're gonna take those motherfuckers with us

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The generation ships are all infested with bedbugs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

This is how I feel about mosquitoes. At least we're gonna take those motherfuckers with us
are we though? They're resilient little shits and their biggest weakness is cold...

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

are we though?

oh yeah. the whole animal kingdom babayyyyy

I give archaebacteria and fungi even odds though

mosquitoes gotta feed on something, good luck fellas

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sw0cb posted:

Yeah this seems like a great setup for ruining things even further with some aerosol injections! My gut feeling is that'll get started sometime around 2028-2029. Fun times

whats super cool is that people are now proposing we chlorinate the air so it slightly degrades methane faster, do not ask about the impacts of chlorinated air on the biosphere (doomer)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

whats super cool is that people are now proposing we chlorinate the air so it slightly degrades methane faster, do not ask about the impacts of chlorinated air on the biosphere (doomer)

maybe we can just chlorinate it waaaaay up high, where there isnt anything alive. air famously stays in one spot, right?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We are so hosed but let’s be real: 2035 seems more and more optimistic every day lmfao.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
so we're doing acid rain again, but chloric instead of sulfuric?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
spaceship earth is my favourite sci fi generation ship :kiddo:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dog Case posted:

The generation ships are all infested with bedbugs

[Biosphere] The generation ships are all infested with bedbugs

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
In ten or twenty years conservatives are going to propose "air conditioning" the atmosphere.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
of course you can't live in space. but you CAN live on the continents beyond the ice wall

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

spaceship earth is my favourite sci fi generation ship :kiddo:

Yeah! Speaking of which let's just check the monitors to make sure spaceship earth is still ticking along nicely

Oh. Oh.

Maybe we should divert power from the holodecks for a while. There are some niggling issues to deal with

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
ANY ATTEMPTS TO DIVERT RESOURCES OR ENERGY FROM THE TERRIBLE TREAT MACHINE FOR THE "PRESERVATION" OF THE VESSEL WILL INCUR SEVERE PENALTIES INCLUDING LOSS OF LIVELIHOOD OR LIFE

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

two very different depictions of climate change courtesy of Bing Image Creator

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

stumbled on this for un-related reasons and it made me think of this thread

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

smoobles posted:

two very different depictions of climate change courtesy of Bing Image Creator

Thread title.

Adbot