Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Rewrite your game and make that the core mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Tann posted:

Just found you can do something like sql injection in my game lol

I let you rename heroes between fights and it all uses my weird modding thing. If you rename them to eg "jenny.hp.500" then they gain the name "jenny" and 500hp.

We've know for a while now, ConcernedApe: https://stardewvalley.fandom.com/wiki/Item_spawning_glitch

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tann posted:

The reason you can do this is because I'm adding some "modding" that works like this. Though ideally you can't use it to get infinite hp during a standard game!

finally i will be able to beat brutal difficulty and also unfair

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I like the idea that some stoner somewhere has an inventory full of red mushrooms and no idea why

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DoctorTristan posted:

Rewrite your game and make that the core mechanic

If your character's name influences their stats, you need to also put in a moderator who can be petitioned to change the name.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Welp that's it, wrap it up thread cause nothing's beating that.

Half-life’s uninstaller deleted the parent folder too.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ihmemies posted:

Half-life’s uninstaller deleted the parent folder too.

eve online released a patch that deleted boot.ini

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Welp that's it, wrap it up thread cause nothing's beating that.

Tell that to all the algo traders that bought Berkshire Hathaway every time Anne Hathaway got mentioned in the news

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NtotheTC posted:

I like the idea that some stoner somewhere has an inventory full of red mushrooms and no idea why

Meanwhile, some sleazy guy keeps getting banana saplings and is trying to figure out what that even means.

To be fair, the saplings are nice.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

JFC. Our student registry thingy at university, it does not work at all with anything else than traditional desktop/laptop computers. Using it with a tablet or a phone is a mess. We had some kind of event at the company's offices who made the product. I asked why the layout is not responsive. Well they said no one in 2013 thought people would use websites with their PHONES (I bought a galaxy note with 1280x800 OLED touchscreen in 2012)... and the customers didn't require it so they just YOLOed something. Apparently they went to such an deep end in the legacy section that it's an insurmountable mountain to fix the service to work more responsively with different screens and form factors...

Well, today I inspected the code for the first time, and they use TABLES. They use goddamn tables in TYOOL 2023 in the page layout. Like, <table><tr><td> etc. So it's basically impossible to make it responsive with CSS, you'd have to basically drop the old layout and re-create it with modern html elements and css...

Anyways, I looked at the product's history. The company was formed in 2016! They began developing the student registry then, and first university began using it in 2019. So basically it has been utter complete loving steaming pile of hot rear end poo poo since day one.

And they cooked up that in 2010's! Not many years ago actually!

I remember using tables back in the day, before moving to css and divs and spans etc. I asked from chatgpt when they were all the rage last time..

Using HTML tables for layout was a common practice in the late 1990s and early 2000s. It was a way to achieve complex layouts at a time when CSS support was limited and inconsistent across browsers. Over time, as CSS became more advanced and browser support improved, best practices shifted away from using tables for layout purposes. CSS-based layouts using div, span, and other non-table elements became more common, supported by a growing set of CSS properties for controlling layout.

Around 2009, the introduction of CSS3 brought even more layout options, such as rounded corners, gradients, and animations, that made table-based layouts increasingly obsolete. Subsequent years saw the rise of responsive design principles and grid systems, which are far easier to implement with CSS than with tables.

By the mid-2010s, the use of tables for layout was largely considered an outdated practice, as it makes the website harder to maintain, less semantic, and less accessible. It's not recommended in modern web development, where CSS Grid and Flexbox are widely supported and offer much more flexibility and control.

So, to answer your question, tables were commonly used for layout more than 20 years ago, and the practice has been considered outdated for at least 10-15 years. However, it's worth noting that there are legacy websites and systems that still use table-based layouts, often because they were built at a time when this was standard practice and haven't been updated.

That student registry must be some kind of job security project. Make one with tables, then have infite amounts of work in front of you if you want to fix that later.

Edit: AHHHHHHHHHHH ANd I remember them saying that nowdays if they started from fresh, they'd use react most likely! Well ahhhhhhh react was launched in 2013 and went stable in 2015, well before their company was even formed. Ahhhhhhh well who the gently caress knows why they did not start using it back in the day... guess some other people were in charge?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 4, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The more I look at it, the more physical pain I feel. I did not know looking at code (html markup) would cause such.. feelings...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I maintain a code-base written in the early to mid 2010's that uses <table>. It's also ASP.NET WebForms and they do fun stuff like not closing the <td> or <tr> tags so I always wonder how the heck it will decide to render things. The rendering engine seems to be able to handle the malformed HTML, but that is only the case until the day in the future when it decides to choke.

I've been fixing the missing closing tags as I find them, but rewriting the page layout is something I haven't been able to do yet. There's too much work and not enough devs to have the free time to fix stuff like that. The developer dilemma.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Also, keep in mind that IE 6 had its EOL in 2016. I would assume that certain places that had to keep compatibility would have made certain choices regarding that.....

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nalin posted:

Also, keep in mind that IE 6 had its EOL in 2016. I would assume that certain places that had to keep compatibility would have made certain choices regarding that.....

Hello, I too used to be new to the industry.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's entirely possible to make a website usable on phones with very little css and using, heaven forfend, tables. Sounds like they just did a bad job.

Nalin posted:

I maintain a code-base written in the early to mid 2010's that uses <table>. It's also ASP.NET WebForms and they do fun stuff like not closing the <td> or <tr> tags so I always wonder how the heck it will decide to render things. The rendering engine seems to be able to handle the malformed HTML, but that is only the case until the day in the future when it decides to choke.

I've been fixing the missing closing tags as I find them, but rewriting the page layout is something I haven't been able to do yet. There's too much work and not enough devs to have the free time to fix stuff like that. The developer dilemma.

Handling unclosed/malnested/etc. elements is exhaustively and extensively standardized, there's no technical reason to "fix" it. Though I totally get how annoying it would be, I'd add them too :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The tool for scheduling courses is a table. It displays one column for half a year, and all half-years are basically in same row. Currently on my phone it displays 2 half-years on screen, with only 2 letters of course names visible. Adding unscheduled courses works even less well.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If tables cause you physical pain, don't view source this web page

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tables are fine for tabular content.

CSS is mature and stable in browsers, but email clients are a special kind of hell, where using tables for layout is not only still the only reliable way to get a consistent result, but also worse than it ever was in browsers.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The “CSS Zen Garden” website launched in 2003, and “Web Standards Solutions” by Dan Cederholm came out in 2004. Those two resources did more to kill table-based layouts and spacer gifs than anything else*. There was no excuse by 2010.

(* - no citation, totally personal belief)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bring back frames imo, if you don't have 3 scrollbars are you even really surfing the information superhighway

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yikes that scheduling site is brutal.

There were a few years there before flex and grid where people were all "you can't use tables for layout, you must use these display and float and position tricks" that made a hilariously underwhelming case for css. I don't fault anyone for using tables for layout in that era.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
it also seems to render nonsensical placeholder words of excessive and unrealistic length

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sagacity posted:

it also seems to render nonsensical placeholder words of excessive and unrealistic length

that’s just Finnish

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well, Finnish it faster then

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bongo Bill posted:

Tables are fine for tabular content.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I just made a table last week in a prototype, but html is not something I am an expert in so I just searched for “html table” and did some copy pasting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If you're making an actual table, tables are still what you use. There's just better ways if you're trying to do a layout for anything else.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
It was a table representation of an ordered list of records. There was some JS to enable drag and drop of rows to change the order.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would still probably use table elements for that, but I also barely learned CSS grid this year so I'm behind already

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

wolfman101 posted:

It was a table representation of an ordered list of records. There was some JS to enable drag and drop of rows to change the order.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I would still probably use table elements for that, but I also barely learned CSS grid this year so I'm behind already

Yeah, that's a good use for an html table. The pushback against using them is because people used to use tables to control the layout of entire pages, which has long been replaced with CSS controls so anything modern that is written that way was written by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Most probably they hired people with lots of work experience. The more experience, the better. So they hired guys who had used tables and stuff for a decade in a multitude of projects... And they continued doing what they have been doing for a decade. That's why they hired all that experience, right?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

10 minutes with the project I'm working on and it's ag-grid implementation and I'm starting to wish it was just pure html tables. We're page loads really that bad?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I last did web dev more than a decade ago, in the period where everyone was saying "don't use tables for layout use css it's modern" but css sucked poo poo for layout and tables were easier and better. I assume css actually works now.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume css actually works now.

yeah, they invented two entirely new forms of layout (grid and flexbox) so it works. still sucks poo poo though

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

10 minutes with the project I'm working on and it's ag-grid implementation and I'm starting to wish it was just pure html tables. We're page loads really that bad?

i've come to appreciate ag-grid now that i've seen some of our in-house datagrid components from before we started using it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Zopotantor posted:

that’s just Finnish

:thejoke:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I did a two year stint at a HCI research lab, researching layout automation. But in the end it's always loving gridbaglayout. Always has and always will be.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
More palate-cleanser than horror
https://twitter.com/thatfrood/status/1711219258825298321

While I can't speak for everyone, I personally am quite enamored of the EXUBERANT COWBOY.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

darthbob88 posted:

While I can't speak for everyone, I personally am quite enamored of the EXUBERANT COWBOY.

EXUBERANT COWBOY sounds like a firmware exploit codename

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

I can appreciate the buttons compared to trying to deal with keyboard events (which historically belonged in this thread).