Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
needs more slomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

As soon as I saw Joel Kinnaman getting shot in the throat is the impetus for him being mute & the movie not having any dialogue I knew this was gonna be a heater

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

I’ll see this because gf liked the trailer a lot, and it looks solid to me too. But I’m not a big fan of the trailer, way too much triumphant music for a revenge story. Your kid is still dead my brother in christ.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Was only sorta engaged until I saw him shooting two pistols; then I was very engaged.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

confused posted:

I know nothing about the book. What am I supposed to glean from this trailer? I couldn't get any sense of what is going on. Ominous warnings followed by random weirdness with no obvious causal connection.

Just going by the Wikipedia article it sounds like some mildly spooky things happen to a family and then off screen (and mostly unbeknownst to the family) the world just falls apart? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leave_the_World_Behind_(novel)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Enderzero posted:

I’ll see this because gf liked the trailer a lot, and it looks solid to me too. But I’m not a big fan of the trailer, way too much triumphant music for a revenge story. Your kid is still dead my brother in christ.

John Travolta being all sad in Face/Off was a distraction from the action. Moving on right to the revenge is the right call

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Alright, I'm gonna be the debbie downer here. A middle class revenge movie is a huge drag (seriously, I thought we were over this). Using Ode to Joy in an action movie that takes place at Christmas feels like someone trying to take credit for "discovering" that chocolate and peanut butter taste good together. The totally silent protagonist thing feels like the bottom of a slippery slope where we're really trying to remove all subtext from everything forever.

But, it's John Woo. And it doesn't look like he's rested on his laurels; it really looks like there's some evolution there.

I'm gonna see it and probably love it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Was only sorta engaged until I saw him shooting two pistols; then I was very engaged.
Imagine if he had 3 pistols.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Do Revenge was a good revenge movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weirdly reminds me of the Cliffhanger trailer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Weirdly reminds me of the Cliffhanger trailer.

Now that you say it I get it too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enderzero posted:

Let him cook

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Can I get a confirm/deny on whether there are squibs?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Of course! Trailers are not the movie. Just didn’t hit me quite right

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Pigma_Micron posted:

But, it's John Woo. And it doesn't look like he's rested on his laurels; it really looks like there's some evolution there.

Manhunt, Woo's last attempt to make a contemporary action movie, was truly dire so I'm tempering my expectations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly that looks like some Fox News watcher’s urban revenge fantasy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah I mean if John Woo's name wasn't attached to it I'd just file it off as another sorta generic modern revenge/action movie or a Nobody type flick...but hey, that still ain't bad. It'll probably be a solid to okay action movie at worst. I'm sure goons loved it but it can't be as tedious as like, Silent Night.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Almost beat for beat remake of that Kevin Bacon movie from a decade or so ago. I’m sure it’ll be just as good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enderzero posted:

Of course! Trailers are not the movie. Just didn’t hit me quite right

I hope the trailer is the movie. I love revenge movies. They’re very fun and cathartic

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ozmunkeh posted:

Almost beat for beat remake of that Kevin Bacon movie from a decade or so ago. I’m sure it’ll be just as good.

John Goodman was loving terrifying in that movie. It was like a dress rehearsal for his role in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The scene where he sells Kevin Bacon a bunch of guns even though he knows he's going to use them to kill his son is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow6KBJABABI

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 3, 2023

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSXVijDyyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCm9ouUNqA

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

in i am going to become the joker voice:

i am going to become the napoleon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We live in a société

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Feels like there is a story bolted straight from the 1980s you're gonna have to doze thru before any action. Depending on the movie the setup can like take up the majority of the screen time. I'll just wait to see what other ppl say about it bc John Wick was making fun of this poo poo years and years ago

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah that youtube link is weirdly jittery, I find it hard to watch.

Here you go, without the jitters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBnTqn0lBDA

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Slotducks posted:

am i crazy to think the cgi in that looks extremely bad?

And boring.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

CGI blood splatter. Ugh.
Plus Woo not making a good film since '92 makes this an easy pass.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

CaptainN posted:

CGI blood splatter. Ugh.
Plus Woo not making a good film since '92 makes this an easy pass.

I still have some pretty serious soft spots for Hard Target, Broken Arrow and Face/Off. This, despite none of those having the same charm nor the clear disregard for cast/crew life and wellbeing as his Hong Kong faire. Broken Arrow is particularly bad, but at least all three have a lot of ideas and were trying to do something different.

That's still almost 30 years of garbage, though. Your point very much stands.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Red Cliff (both of them) kick rear end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t pass at a Christmas themed revenge movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t pass at a Christmas themed revenge movie.

I'll remember that when Violent Night II comes around

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am also excited for that. Violent Night was super fun to watch really drunk Christmas Eve

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Violent Night frustrated the hell out of me, because it was a good script with a good cast dragged down by mediocre-to-bad directing and a pivotal moment that devolved into one incredible clunker of an action scene.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Violent Night frustrated the hell out of me, because it was a good script with a good cast dragged down by mediocre-to-bad directing and a pivotal moment that devolved into one incredible clunker of an action scene.

You better not be talking about the Home Alone scene here

I liked Violent Night a whole lot, except it should have found more to do with Edi Patterson.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The problem with Violent Night and a lot of these films is they go in purposely making bad scenes and jokes.

"Oh, I am supposed to laugh now! haw haw haw I GET IT"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Clipperton posted:

You better not be talking about the Home Alone scene here

I liked Violent Night a whole lot, except it should have found more to do with Edi Patterson.

No, that one works 100% and has the movie firing on almost all cylinders, and is one of the reasons I found it frustrating. You have that, which is a very clever and well-done bit, and then you have the big action setpiece "shed redemption" sequence, which is cut badly, lacks geography, and just generally fails in the way that modern action movies fail (when they fail. Please do not read this as "all modern action movies fail", because they don't. But when they fail they generally fail in the same ways).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I meant Violent Night. Thought it was pretty mediocre. Just incredibly lame energy tbh.
Peter Griffin remembers John Leguizamo vs. Santa Epic Rap Battles of History, brought to you by Funny or Die.

And yeah I would say some, not all, of the action just doesn't look that great...but then again all of the above is what I get for watching a Wirkola movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think you'll see Universal employing John Leguizamo again any time soon.

Anyway I'm hopeful the next Violent Night will be a lot more fun knowing you can skip all the setup.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The trailer for Argylle really caught me off guard because from the premise that was listed online months ago, they're making it seem like there is a big secret twist, which if things haven't changed, was spoiled in the information about the film that was out there months ago.

Also, the prior information made it seem like Henry Cavill was the protag of the main film, not just a bit part.

TBH - the trailer actually made me less interested in the overall film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kiimo posted:

I don't think you'll see Universal employing John Leguizamo again any time soon.

I assume for his comments on the Mario movie, which is really too bad.