Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bone emulator posted:

the joke was that the chicken nuggets had " " around the word chicken.

this joke can't hold malk's jockstrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
So that's it, after 600 pages, so long, good luck?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't recall saying good luck.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

the 600th episode of The Simpsons aired on October 16, 2016.

https://youtu.be/MybjMdrd270

151 more episodes have aired since.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like AI voices/recasting are close at hand at this point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

The Simpsons came on after whatever my father in law was watching, so it was on in the background while we were getting dinner ready. My 6yo has never seen the show.

At some scene on the latest episode, Homer and Marge are sitting in an audience somewhere, maybe at a school meeting. My daughter looks at them asks "what are THOSE things." Didn't even recognize them as people.

My earliest memory of seeing The Simpsons is pretty similar. I would have also been around 6 years old, and my sister had to explain to me that they were people and the huge round white things were their eyes. Them being yellow was also confusing to me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

porfiria posted:

I feel like AI voices/recasting are close at hand at this point.

It would certainly be less offputting, at least in the case of Julie Kavner

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i took the bullet here to search if that was real and, sadly, it is, in fact, real. a treehouse segment but real all the same.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tree Goat posted:

i took the bullet here to search if that was real and, sadly, it is, in fact, real. a treehouse segment but real all the same.

Thanks for taking one for the team, I would have bet money that it was ChatGPT

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's always real

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

As always, Simpsons coming in swinging two years late.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's always real

My favorite example is telling people about how one time Stephen Hawking had to cameo to explain to the family that Homer didn't imagine the concept of Ray Romano. Sometimes breaking down episodes to the minimal summary is the only fun left to have with the show.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My earliest memory of seeing The Simpsons is pretty similar. I would have also been around 6 years old, and my sister had to explain to me that they were people and the huge round white things were their eyes. Them being yellow was also confusing to me.

Had you never seen a cartoon before?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hrist posted:

My favorite example is telling people about how one time Stephen Hawking had to cameo to explain to the family that Homer didn't imagine the concept of Ray Romano. Sometimes breaking down episodes to the minimal summary is the only fun left to have with the show.

I remember that episode. To be fair, the Stephen Hawking explanation is deliberately ridiculous. Relatively innocuous as sitcom jokes go.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cyril Sneer posted:

Had you never seen a cartoon before?

I was probably just used to the Disney and Looney Tunes style. The way the Simpsons’ eyes bulge out is what threw me off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

brugroffil posted:

At some scene on the latest episode, Homer and Marge are sitting in an audience somewhere, maybe at a school meeting. My daughter looks at them asks "what are THOSE things." Didn't even recognize them as people.

when I was very little i thought the same thing, that everyone on the show was some kind of yellow elf thing called a "simpson" like the smurfs or something

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

homer simpson sperm ghost

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
S:29:E21 Flanders Ladder. Bart tricks Lisa into playing the jump scare maze game and records her reaction. That game came out in 2003. Literally 15 years behind the trend.

https://i.imgur.com/4lArYzv.mp4

E: lmao and ending the episode on a Six Feet Under spoof. Cutting edge stuff.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 6, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Annabel Pee posted:

S:29:E21 Flanders Ladder. Bart tricks Lisa into playing the jump scare maze game and records her reaction. That game came out in 2003. Literally 15 years behind the trend.

https://i.imgur.com/4lArYzv.mp4

E: lmao and ending the episode on a Six Feet Under spoof. Cutting edge stuff.

Huh, this made me realize a kind of flaw in these character designs: Their neutral facial expressions are wide-eyed and dot-pupiled, so you lose the potential comedy from any surprised expressions.

They used to be able to circumvent that by using special poses that pushed the features to the point of breaking:

but I going to hazard a guess that Always On Model Simpsons doesn't do this. Hence Lisa's perfectly on-model and neutral eyes as she's flailing backwards.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Huh, this made me realize a kind of flaw in these character designs: Their neutral facial expressions are wide-eyed and dot-pupiled, so you lose the potential comedy from any surprised expressions.

They used to be able to circumvent that by using special poses that pushed the features to the point of breaking:

but I going to hazard a guess that Always On Model Simpsons doesn't do this. Hence Lisa's perfectly on-model and neutral eyes as she's flailing backwards.

The timing on the fall is all sorts of hosed up too. She gasps, pauses for a beat, THEN stumbles backwards in shock. It just doesn't flow or feel natural at all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CodfishCartographer posted:

The timing on the fall is all sorts of hosed up too. She gasps, pauses for a beat, THEN stumbles backwards in shock. It just doesn't flow or feel natural at all.

Seriously, even :monocle: is more fluid & natural than that.

In a half-decent animation, she would have immediately gasped/screamed and then either fallen 1) onto the floor, or 2) into a laundry hamper that was close enough to her that she could knock it over without stumbling.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is absolutely terrible. Even grading on a curve and considering the state of Julie Kavner's performances over the past 10 years, this is just absolute dog poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

YeahTubaMike posted:

In a half-decent animation, she would have immediately gasped/screamed and then either fallen 1) onto the floor, or 2) into a laundry hamper that was close enough to her that she could knock it over without stumbling.

We looked but that wasn't in our library of animations to drag and drop onto the character's sprite. Maybe next time the writers will do a better job at making the timing funny

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously, even :monocle: is more fluid & natural than that.

It doesn't help that Bart is just lifelessly looking at her. If he had followed up with his own "BOO" while laughing his rear end off, it'd seem a lot more natural, or at least interesting.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is absolutely terrible. Even grading on a curve and considering the state of Julie Kavner's performances over the past 10 years, this is just absolute dog poo poo.

Guessing they know it’s a major problem but can’t do anything about it unless she voluntarily leaves. If she were recast without wanting to go very likely other core voices object or also decide to leave and suddenly the house of cards comes crashing down. And they can’t just not give Marge dialogue.

Probably uncomfortable for showrunners but as the giant checks keep clearing don’t think they mind too much.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Guessing they know it’s a major problem but can’t do anything about it unless she voluntarily leaves. If she were recast without wanting to go very likely other core voices object or also decide to leave and suddenly the house of cards comes crashing down. And they can’t just not give Marge dialogue.

Probably uncomfortable for showrunners but as the giant checks keep clearing don’t think they mind too much.

The problem is 75% of the voices are approaching her level of badness. At this point, it's like if Friends kept running through today except they kept the actors playing like they're still hip 20 somethings the whole way. I've occasionally chuckled at recent Simpsons episodes, but more often I just feel sad or uncomfortable hearing them struggle to sound like much younger and relevant people. Like old Grandpa Simpson episodes except unintentional.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That hypothetical friends is so much better than the one we got.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

100%, a few years back I listened to a Marc Maron interview with “Krusty” & oh man it was dire enough I turned it off. So exhausted and lifeless.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Das Boo posted:

A lot of adult-focused cartoons seem to purposefully turn away from excessively animated and exaggerated expressions, and I think the original Simpsons might've been on the vanguard of that. King of the Hill would later be a more extreme example.

I'm not really sure of the whole reasoning, maybe it's supposed to highlight the writing more than the physical action, maybe it's supposed to create more of a realistic appearance (especially with violence, the less exaggerated you make it, the more real it can feel), maybe it's to perfect the look of somebody with no thoughts in their brain, maybe it was just to differentiate from children's cartoons at the time when there was an explosion of excessively expressive animation as a revival of classic Looney Tunes style, maybe there's an idea that adults will read more emotion into blank faces.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of adult-focused cartoons seem to purposefully turn away from excessively animated and exaggerated expressions, and I think the original Simpsons might've been on the vanguard of that. King of the Hill would later be a more extreme example.

I'm not really sure of the whole reasoning, maybe it's supposed to highlight the writing more than the physical action, maybe it's supposed to create more of a realistic appearance (especially with violence, the less exaggerated you make it, the more real it can feel), maybe it's to perfect the look of somebody with no thoughts in their brain, maybe it was just to differentiate from children's cartoons at the time when there was an explosion of excessively expressive animation as a revival of classic Looney Tunes style, maybe there's an idea that adults will read more emotion into blank faces.

I think big animation studios just got more lazy and boring as poo poo got more digital.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

King of the Hill at least made sense being a a very wry, understated show about a very boring man

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SlothfulCobra posted:

maybe it's to perfect the look of somebody with no thoughts in their brain

this absolutely isn't the case because the slightly wall eyed stare Homer frequently got in classic Simpsons perfected this and the computer placed on model pupils always maintaining eye contact are horrible

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hello Mr Thompson.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lisa falling backwards reminds me of this:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

Lisa falling backwards reminds me of this:

Literally almost snort-:lol:ed Frosted Miniwheats out of my nose, so thanks for that

drat, I miss the Loss days

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat, I miss the Loss days

Those were good days, indeed :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Loss is literally the only thing I know about that comic.