Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Someone probably stole his phone to keep him out of jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Simplex posted:

Someone probably stole his phone to keep him out of jail

Can we consider this giving aid and comfort to an enemy of the United States?

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
They might as well start slapping down his bullshit intimidation tactics since he is going to, and has, called it all unfair and is going to continue to do so and I doubt it is going to change anyone's mind one way or the other. His cult has already made up their mind regardless of what happens, so might as well make him feel the burn in the process and I hope Engoron's backhand sets the precedent for other judges to do the same.

Wayback fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 4, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wayback posted:

They might as well start slapping down his bullshit intimidation tactics since he is going to, and has, called it all unfair and is going to continue to do so amd I doubt it is going to change anyone's mind one way or the other. His cult has already made up their mind regardless of what happens, so might as well make him feel the burn in the process and I hope Engoron's backhand sets the precedent for other judges to do the same.

This, basically. I’ve always been saying he should just get treated the same as some random schmuck, and any reasons to treat him with kid gloves are pretty much gone by now.

gently caress it. Send him jail next time he fucks up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Wayback posted:

They might as well start slapping down his bullshit intimidation tactics since he is going to, and has, called it all unfair and is going to continue to do so amd I doubt it is going to change anyone's mind one way or the other. His cult has already made up their mind regardless of what happens, so might as well make him feel the burn in the process and I hope Engoron's backhand sets the precedent for other judges to do the same.

One of the MeidasTouch podcasters believes that Judge Chutkan in DC will absolutely look at Trump's behavior toward Judge Engoron and his staff in her consideration of Jack Smith's request for a gag order. So much criming! It's hard to keep up!

Xiahou Dun posted:

This, basically. I’ve always been saying he should just get treated the same as some random schmuck, and any reasons to treat him with kid gloves are pretty much gone by now.

I genuinely hope they do this. For all the people hand-wringing over what his supporters might do, let them. The earlier we kill this fomenting rebellion, the better.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Ynglaur posted:

I genuinely hope they do this. For all the people hand-wringing over what his supporters might do, let them. The earlier we kill this fomenting rebellion, the better.

Exactly, his supporters already froth at the mouth over everything that does or doesn't happen along with whatever their worm ridden minds make up on their own. Why even bother to worry about how they will react, they threaten to kill everyone they don't agree with and want a civil war already.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

The thing with Trump always being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room, is that it only lasts as long as he is the biggest rear end in a top hat and other people care about appearances. This judge doesn't care about treating Trump with kid gloves like the other judges have, Trump went after one of HIS staff during HIS hearing, and he's king poo poo in that room, not Trump.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Right.

It seems like they intentionally made the decision not to request a jury trial *specifically* so that he could claim he was “DENIED a jury—very unfair!”

Which is exactly what he is doing now, and for his followers this has 100% become the truth.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1709569372958629890?s=20

They are going to think what they think and do what they are going to do, which is threaten to kill people. Nothing is going to change that.

So Trump should be treated like anybody else, never mind what the 30-50 million feral MAGA hogs think about it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I would also accept making Trump wear a scolds bridle.

Mostly because it might make me not want bring back breaking on the wheel. For now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MrMojok posted:

Right.

It seems like they intentionally made the decision not to request a jury trial *specifically* so that he could claim he was “DENIED a jury—very unfair!”

Which is exactly what he is doing now, and for his followers this has 100% become the truth.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1709569372958629890?s=20

They are going to think what they think and do what they are going to do, which is threaten to kill people. Nothing is going to change that.

So Trump should be treated like anybody else, never mind what the 30-50 million feral MAGA hogs think about it.

I'm hesitant to attribute any sort of tactical thinking to this clown show more strongly than I would incompetence. You don't take a parking lot lawyer to a trial like this based on their sterling reputation and large volume of quality work.

Once they made that fuckup this is the obvious lie he goes with, it's the exact kind of poo poo-burper he is and flows perfectly in to his victimization politics. I'm just gonna take a whole lot of convincing to believe it was their nefarious plan from the start to spring this trap card on the judge.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Comstar posted:

Won't he just appeal, and then nothing happens until it's resolved, he appeals again, nothing happens, and appeals again?

IIRC, this is a process that happens concurrently with the appeals - the appeal doesn't hit the pause button at this point. I'm sure Trump will try to gum up the works, but I think his ability to slow this has been significantly curtailed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Trump didn't *REQUEST* a jury.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Trump didn't *REQUEST* a jury.

Trump's lawyers didn't request a jury, but that doesn't mean they intentionally didn't request a jury. It could just be that they were hugely incompetent dumbasses.

I don't have any special insights into Trump's thinking, but throwing the case on purpose so he could more quickly complain about losing doesn't really seem like a legal strategy any lawyer would sign off on.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm hesitant to attribute any sort of tactical thinking to this clown show more strongly than I would incompetence. You don't take a parking lot lawyer to a trial like this based on their sterling reputation and large volume of quality work.

Once they made that fuckup this is the obvious lie he goes with, it's the exact kind of poo poo-burper he is and flows perfectly in to his victimization politics. I'm just gonna take a whole lot of convincing to believe it was their nefarious plan from the start to spring this trap card on the judge.

Yeah, that’s fair. It very likely was an incredible oversight.

Either way, he’s lying about it and they will believe him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Trial going good
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1709607902615388515
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1709611047252889806

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He’s only going to scold them 20 or 30 more times before he considers starting to lose it!!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Their strategy is clearly to piss off the judge so much that they lose the trial so badly that they can appeal. Not sure if that's going to pay off for them.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Fart Amplifier posted:

Their strategy is clearly to piss off the judge so much that they lose the trial so badly that they can appeal. Not sure if that's going to pay off for them.

Yeah if you read through more of that thread Trumps lawyer starts lecturing the judge like he's talking to a law student and intentionally trying to piss him off. That is the whole strategy here, trying to provoke the judge so they can claim bias on an appeal

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fart Amplifier posted:

Basically do everything you can to run out the clock and hope you get elected before you're in jail.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Republicans posted:

Basically do everything you can to run out the clock and hope you get elected before you're in jail.

Just 13 months to go until all hope is irrevocably lost for him!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Wayback posted:

I hope Engoron's backhand sets the precedent for other judges to do the same.
I hate the reporting on this because there's a strong argument that other justices, including Chutkan, have already done effectively the same.

The call for months in this thread, that we're seeing again with salivating over jail time for contempt, is markedly larger. It still strikes me as a solution (Trump in prison, or not posting, or not giving speeches or interviews or rallying) searching for a reason to impose it. While this Supreme Court hasn't been particularly kind to defendants, there's little reason to think they won't be aggressively safeguarding Trump's free speech rights when any order is appealed to them. Which means you'll continue to see judges seek the least restrictive means and build a record to that effect. As I mentioned way upthread, Roger Stone provides a useful example of the incremental orders we're likely to see as judges start to break the seal.

Engoron's got a good case that his order accomplishes his legitimate goal with the least possible limitations on Trump's speech rights - it's not a ban on discussing the trial, the government's case, James, or his theories about the judge's rulings. It's very, very narrow. To whatever extent Justice succeeds with Chutkan in a couple weeks, I suspect (and cannot stress enough IANAL) that it'll be specifically tied to the attempts to taint the jury pool like the bullshit about Bratt's visit to the White House. I don't expect the intimidation claims RE Justice, Chutkan, and the court to find much purchase, despite some of the wishcasting we've seen ITT throughout

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I know until Jan 6, almost no lawyer ever got sanctioned or disbarred for their actions inside the courtroom. How long can these lawyers push it before the judge starts punishing them personally for engaging in these tactics?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fuschia tude posted:

I know until Jan 6, almost no lawyer ever got sanctioned or disbarred for their actions inside the courtroom.

???
While I will fully admit that loving around with your client's trust fund is what causes the majority of bar discipline, it's hardly the only reason and courtroom misconduct is another major reason.

Most state bars publish who they are disciplining and why BTW.

https://www.floridabar.org/news_article_section/disciplinary-actions/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fuschia tude posted:

I know until Jan 6, almost no lawyer ever got sanctioned or disbarred for their actions inside the courtroom. How long can these lawyers push it before the judge starts punishing them personally for engaging in these tactics?

I may be mixing up my Trump cases, but I believe in the NY Civil Trial his lawyers have already been sanctioned and fined $7,500 for making frivolous arguments which have already been litigated and decided. I'm sure we'd all like to see larger numbers, but we probably don't want courts just escalating directly to multi-million dollar sanctions in a just society.

That said: if Trump's lawyers keep this up, they might get there.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wow, $7500. That’s like a whole day of their legal fees. Surely that will be an adequate deterrent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pumpinglemma posted:

Wow, $7500. That’s like a whole day of their legal fees.

if they get paid

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FMguru posted:

I was always baffled at the way the media kept portraying him as a multi-billionaire in the 2015-6 campaign season, because it was well known that he was broke, that all of his buildings were owned by other people and just his renting his name, that every dollar he made went to service his debts. Real rich guys don't spend their days doing desperate poo poo like get-rich-quick seminars and branded MLM vitamin supplements. And yet the media kept uncritically repeating claims that he was worth $3bn or $5bn or $10bn. It was maddening.

I am really looking forward to the court-ordered unwinding of his rattletrap business empire, not least because it will show just how little he actually owned. I can't wait.

I was going to post something along these lines, I even remember an article (in Forbes? One of the business sites/mags) a couple of years before the campaign season on that very topic, and reading between the lines you could see how he's probably financially the most worthless person on the planet. I mean yeah the rules don't apply to rich people equally and but the way the news was suddenly like DONALD TRUMP NET WORTH $7 BILLION AMAZING BUSINESS BRAIN was like are you loving kidding me.

It made more sense a couple of years later when I realized most people's knowledge of Trump came solely from The Apprentice.

Anyway I'm not optimistic of him ever making it to a jail cell but it's at least been good to see this, people like Trump are so fragile he must be seething 24/7 and it will be nice to potentially have the press just openly poo poo on the ide aof him being genuinely wealthy even once.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 4, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nitrousoxide posted:

???
While I will fully admit that loving around with your client's trust fund is what causes the majority of bar discipline, it's hardly the only reason and courtroom misconduct is another major reason.

Most state bars publish who they are disciplining and why BTW.

https://www.floridabar.org/news_article_section/disciplinary-actions/

Also substance abuse bad enough that it can't be overlooked any further (including by loving around with your client's money).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1709640500003901740

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Taunting him into coming back would be pretty funny. He was so board and frustrated there it’s amazing he lasted two and a half days though he almost did shitpost himself right into jail.

I can’t imagine how he will contain himself at a criminal trial where is presence is required.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is the damages civil trial whatever done now?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrMojok posted:

Right.

Right...except I've brought this up before: he keeps bitching about how he can't get a fair trial anywhere in the country that isn't a blood red voting district. He wanted to move one of his trials to loving West Virginia. Were South Carolina and Mississippi booked solid or something?

Also, LOL at whoever posted "poo poo burper". Stealing that.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mutata posted:

No, it's only day three. Tomorrow the defense continues cross-examining Bender, Trump's former accountant, then Trump Org exec McConney will be the next witness.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What did trump say when a reporter must have asked him why he can’t get a jury trial when his lawyers didn’t ask for one?

That’s not a joke, but surly someone asked by now?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mutata posted:

Not even close. The judge said he’s hoping to wrap this up around the end of December.

It’s a trial about accounting and estimating. There is a lot of probably very dry testimony and cross examination that’s going to have to be gone through before this is done.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gotcha, thanks. I misread something about the Trump show being over, I'm just mostly along for the ride here at this point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oops, wrong thread.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mutata posted:

Gotcha, thanks. I misread something about the Trump show being over, I'm just mostly along for the ride here at this point.

They were probably referring to Trump himself leaving the courtroom after looking like a deranged fool for two days.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

Not even close. The judge said he’s hoping to wrap this up around the end of December.

There's no way that judge puts up with the same level of loving around until then without escalating to the "find out" phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Comstar posted:

What did trump say when a reporter must have asked him why he can’t get a jury trial when his lawyers didn’t ask for one?

That’s not a joke, but surly someone asked by now?

I don’t think trump ever takes questions unless he knows the questioner is 1000% not going to ask something he doesn’t want to answer