Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cr0y posted:

I just had an OT engineer shocked, SHOCKED that we run CrowdStrike on our industrial control servers. He had an unrelated issue, and is now making enough noise that we should:

Disable windows firewalls
Disable all automatic updates
Remove AV
If AV can't be removed, disable ALL automatic definition updates.

On our fleet of um.... a lot of servers.

I'm an OT (networking) engineer, and I would fire this person.

some kinda jackal posted:

If this is part of an active incident with operational impact then help triage and trouibleshoot and disable with proper incident management approval. If he's just making noise then feed him a security policy exception form to get signed off by the CIO or whoever. Let them explain why they don't need to follow policy.

This is the only exception I will allow, it's been several days since the last time we had to do it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Of course if we were triaging an outage or incident or whatever and one of our infrastructure applications or whatever is actually causing an issue, fine it happens. It doesn't happen much, but it happens, I get that.

What is happening here is X happens, the OT side doesn't know what, but it must be that drat corporate IT team who made us go to VMs!

So they start poking around our infrastructure and find something like CrowdStrike, well wait before we went to corporates VM standard we never had AV? (Because of course they didn't, we had mission critical poo poo running on laptops running Windows XP). Therefore AV is the problem.

Therefore get rid of CS. All of it, everywhere, Even on the other 99.9% of the servers that are running without issue. Also it's not the issue here either but I digress.

Also not mentioning the fact that this particular manufacturing facility has been running the exact same hardware and software config for like two and a half years now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cr0y posted:

Also not mentioning the fact that this particular manufacturing facility has been running the exact same hardware and software config for like two and a half years now.

Evidence is the refuge of a coward.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Remulak posted:

My daughter was phished over text for iTunes money at 4:30 on her first day, allegedly by her boss who was in a meeting and unavailable at they time. They knew his name too.

Linkedin and theharvester can generally give you most of what you need to figure out management and who is under who.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Having done a lot of SCADA/HVAC work in the past I'm honestly surprised things like this dont happen more often. I've been out of that space for a few years now, but it seemed like those industries lagged behind the rest of the tech space by a decade.

Yeah it's still lagging behind. I've got a family member nearing retirement that deals a lot with the controls side and the amount of bad password hygiene, default passwords or simplifying passwords or whatever is staggering to say the least.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Hold onto yer butts.

https://twitter.com/bagder/status/1709103920914526525

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hell yes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buckling up implies I want to survive this ride

What would give anyone that crazy idea

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I wonder if it's going to be another super edge case in terms of exploitability. I'm tired of getting my hopes up and then the vulnerability being totally unusable :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a fun one:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Glibc-LD-Nasty-Root-Bug

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Same day that X11 vulnerabilities dating back to X11R2 from 1988 were identified: https://www.phoronix.com/news/XOrg-Vulnerabilities-Since-1988

Hell of a day for Linux infosec

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Change the motd on all servers from stupid restricted warnings to just ask the intruder, politely, to run apt update on their way out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Change the motd on all servers from stupid restricted warnings to just ask the intruder, politely, to run apt update on their way out

That was one of the ways they identified Russian vs other state actor hacking groups - The Russians would update your system after establishing persistence to lock out other groups

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

That bolded poo poo right there.
gently caress the jackholes that did that.

Jokes on you bitch - I'm the IT guy. I have like 8 machines...

I played dumb like I didn't understand I was supposed to turn in my desktop when they gave us all laptops so now I have both :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have any writeups or .. conceptual information for how an organization successfully integrates DAST into a continuous development cycle? I have an understanding of the role of SAST and pentesting here and where each is inserted and slated, but I the concept of injecting DAST tooling in any way that isn't prone to failure eludes me. I think this is just me not understanding how DAST tooling works because for it to be useful in any way I feel like it would need significant testing scope within your target deployment and I'm just not sure how that's done in reality.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 4, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Does anyone have any writeups or .. conceptual information for how an organization successfully integrates DAST into a continuous development cycle? I have understand the role of SAST and pentesting here and where each is inserted and slated, but I the concept of injecting DAST tooling in any way that isn't prone to failure eludes me. I think this is just me not understanding how DAST tooling works because for it to be useful in any way I feel like it would need significant testing scope within your target deployment and I'm just not sure how that's done in reality.

would also love this as many third party vendors like to claim vuln scans are DAST when questioned...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Like to me it FEELS like DAST should be the security equivalent of unit testing in the sense that it can't just be "I pointed a web vulnerability scanner against my landing page" -- there has to be some more introspection you give the tool, app flows, specific test cases, etc., but I'm doing a lot of assuming here.

If I'm right I guess I'd love to see a sample of how this is done conceptually, along with some sample tools because just googling around I get a lot of what I see is my "can't just be" scenario type tools, where maybe you plug in a credential to give the tool one level introspection into your app but nothing particularly methodical.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Like to me it FEELS like DAST should be the security equivalent of unit testing in the sense that it can't just be "I pointed a web vulnerability scanner against my landing page" -- there has to be some more introspection you give the tool, app flows, specific test cases, etc., but I'm doing a lot of assuming here.

If I'm right I guess I'd love to see a sample of how this is done conceptually, along with some sample tools because just googling around I get a lot of what I see is my "can't just be" scenario type tools, where maybe you plug in a credential to give the tool one level introspection into your app but nothing particularly methodical.

My shop primarily produces API's so our DAST tooling is geared toward that, general web dast tools like zap or burp didn't seem to do an amazing job.

The commercial tool (look at noname, apisec, etc) we use ends up consuming the schema of your api's (swagger, api gateway integration, etc), you give it a few different credentials to test with and it, with some guidance, it will generate playbooks, basically test scripts/unit tests, that look for specific scenarios, usually owasp api top 10. Say broken object authorization, post with user a and then get with user b and if it finds the data then you've got an issue. The whole system can be controlled via api with a cli, so we wrote cicd jobs that dev teams include after they push to staging. It's take a bit of time to run and some care and feeding if the api's change dramatically.

SAST won't find the gross logic errors the permeate API's so basically it's a way for us to be comfortable that teams don't introduce any major issues between pen test engagements. Also a backstop against lovely pen testers.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 4, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ya ya ya ya this is the content I crave, firsthand experience, thank you. We're also in the API game but simultaneously every other game as well, but even seeing a small use case is super helpful. Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do DAST tools do fuzzing, generally? can you guide them with format and other information?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Subjunctive posted:

do DAST tools do fuzzing, generally? can you guide them with format and other information?

The ones I've used do. Beyond just feeding the app out of spec data types, we have some industry specific identifiers that we look for so we build tests that attempt to get/put data in that format.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, but not a true replacement for a human doing fuzzing, of course.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A human doing fuzzing seems like it would be really slow! Do you mean that a tool that ran atop AFL and was invoked by a developer isn’t DAST?

We lived and died by fuzzing on Firefox and it was always automated via dozens (hundreds?) of custom generators, not having people think up random things to feed the CSS parser by hand. How do you do regression testing if you have humans doing it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

A human doing fuzzing seems like it would be really slow! Do you mean that a tool that ran atop AFL and was invoked by a developer isn’t DAST?

We lived and died by fuzzing on Firefox and it was always automated via dozens (hundreds?) of custom generators, not having people think up random things to feed the CSS parser by hand. How do you do regression testing if you have humans doing it?

You don't you are 100% correct, but we still do human fuzzing for initial launches to verify. even often testing the DAST results manually, but we don't do it for every release.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

dozens (hundreds?) of custom generators,
isn’t this what most people mean when they say a “human doing it”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

isn’t this what most people mean when they say a “human doing it”

I don’t know, I thought it meant “have people type random malformed poo poo into Postman”. we’d have just used AFL if it had existed at the time! if running a pile of generators (whether expressed as AFL config or bespoke code) is “having a human do it” then I don’t know what would constitute having a machine do it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cat /dev/urandom | firefox

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A good example of "A human doing it" is the recent libwebp vulnerability. Despite being fuzzed six ways from sunday as part of the QA process, the bug wasn't found and it's presumed it came out of careful code review..

Here's a good writeup about it: https://blog.isosceles.com/the-webp-0day/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

is geofencing your network edge worth while?

Our IDS has been showing people poking at random open ports and poo poo, nothing directed just the general background noise from random countries that have no business looking at our network, and the vast majority is the usual suspects, Africa, Eastern Europe, SE Asia,etc. While yea, a serious nerd is gonna be hopping in from an end point in America I feel that increasing the barrier to entry is worthwhile, if only to shut noise down. For context our company shouldn't have any incoming from outside of the US.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We recently implemented geofiltering and cut down on inbound crap by a lot. 10/10 would recommend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

A good example of "A human doing it" is the recent libwebp vulnerability. Despite being fuzzed six ways from sunday as part of the QA process, the bug wasn't found and it's presumed it came out of careful code review..

Do you mean that a human fuzzed libwebp to find the bug? It sounds like you’re saying that it wasn’t due to fuzzing at all, human or mechanical, but I have to admit that I don’t quite follow.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

is geofencing your network edge worth while?

Our IDS has been showing people poking at random open ports and poo poo, nothing directed just the general background noise from random countries that have no business looking at our network, and the vast majority is the usual suspects, Africa, Eastern Europe, SE Asia,etc. While yea, a serious nerd is gonna be hopping in from an end point in America I feel that increasing the barrier to entry is worthwhile, if only to shut noise down. For context our company shouldn't have any incoming from outside of the US.

Cuts down on the noise but isn't going to stop a determined attacker. Also it can cause problems because the geoip databases aren't perfect. (Whatever you do, keep them up to date)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean that a human fuzzed libwebp to find the bug? It sounds like you’re saying that it wasn’t due to fuzzing at all, human or mechanical, but I have to admit that I don’t quite follow.

Sorry I wasn't being entirely clear. I'm saying that even if you have good code coverage fuzzing you still don't cover everything. This bug could have potentially been found with fuzzing but you'd need to have a lot of knowledge about the file formats to make the test cases. Which is as close to "manual fuzzing" as you'd practically want to be. In this case it was probably manual code review but that wasn't really what I was trying to point out. Sorry for being unclear.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Sorry I wasn't being entirely clear. I'm saying that even if you have good code coverage fuzzing you still don't cover everything. This bug could have potentially been found with fuzzing but you'd need to have a lot of knowledge about the file formats to make the test cases. Which is as close to "manual fuzzing" as you'd practically want to be. In this case it was probably manual code review but that wasn't really what I was trying to point out. Sorry for being unclear.
like everyone fuzzing openssl not even knowing it had its own memory allocator

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Cuts down on the noise but isn't going to stop a determined attacker. Also it can cause problems because the geoip databases aren't perfect. (Whatever you do, keep them up to date)

I'm aware, I just want to increase the barrier to entry to "having compromised or bought something in america". The second one I didn't know of, I thought IP address blocks where handed out by ICANN? Do they shuffle the blocks around?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh yeah, fuzzing is probabilistic and even with a lot of format information you asymptotically approach confidence. We used to measure fuzzing progress by how long the fuzzer ran before triggering a crash. When the guy leading it first set them up, all browsers (then Firefox, IE, Safari, Opera) died in under 15 minutes. eventually it was like weeks or months for some, and I presume even longer now. It took a lot of work to get some other vendors to take the (meticulously submitted with test cases) bugs seriously until we said that we were going to release the fuzzer tooling so our community could help us with it. MSFT kept trying to push the date back because there were so many (hundreds) of maybe-distinct IE bugs whose crashes looked exploitable via our heuristics.

Now everyone fuzzes as a matter of course, but at the time it was pretty exciting to bring it to more visibility and use on some major software. Got to announce them in a DefCon talk and everything!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

“have people type random malformed poo poo into Postman”.
hahahahhaha

Subjunctive posted:

MSFT kept trying to push the date back because there were so many (hundreds) of maybe-distinct IE bugs whose crashes looked exploitable via our heuristics.
oh god IE was SUCH a piece of poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

hahahahhaha

Well I’m curious now!

CommieGIR, what does the human fuzzing you do at releases entail?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm aware, I just want to increase the barrier to entry to "having compromised or bought something in america". The second one I didn't know of, I thought IP address blocks where handed out by ICANN? Do they shuffle the blocks around?

IP space is actively traded because IPv4 allocations are rather limited. I remember a story about some guy who traveled to the US and was detained by CBP for hours and hours because he filled out his online customs form from a Jordanian or Lebanese IP. Only it wasn't one of those, it was an IP block that his ISP (T-mobile or something iirc) recently bought that IP block from the middle eastern ISP, and the geoIP database that CBP used wasn't up to date.

I tried finding an article about this incident but wasn't successful. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about and can dig up a link, I'd be much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

oh god IE was SUCH a piece of poo poo

rude