Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

#1 flaw is dealers still charging 40k for base models.

Probably yeah lol.

I think most of the mechanical bits of the Maverick are a known quantity at this point. I don't think the 2.0 Ecoboost suffered issues to the degree of the 1.0 and 1.5 4cyl. Maybe carbon buildup is an issue later on? Their hybrid powertrains seem to be good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah Ford hybrid powertrain has been very reliable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah Ford hybrid powertrain has been very reliable.

Does this extend to the newer ones integrated with the 10spd transmission in the F150s? I thought the hybrid powertrain that was in the Fusions and Maverick was somehow licensed from Toyota?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Twerk from Home posted:

Does this extend to the newer ones integrated with the 10spd transmission in the F150s? I thought the hybrid powertrain that was in the Fusions and Maverick was somehow licensed from Toyota?

Not licensed, Ford's design used ideas patented by Toyota so they did a patent swap (Toyota got free access to some of Ford's diesel patents in exchange).

As far as the integrated setup on the F150, Explorer and Aviator goes, I haven't heard much about it good or bad.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Some early build Mavericks are getting caught up with a lot of recalls which probably isn't too surprising for a first year Ford. Bigger ones are before July '22 need to have the curtain airbags replaced. Also the hybrids pre-April '22 specifically have issues with the battery cable's underhood terminal soldering potentially failing leaving it dead at startup (there's a CSP to replace these, but while all affected are supposed to be replaced then dealerships are saying they can only do so when it fails). There's a larger issue of the Chihuahua Engine Factory had some issues with their machining processing operations which means engines produced before September '22 have a statistically elevated increase of engine failure. This resulted in an earlier recall to remediate conditions for fire in case of a catastrophic engine failure although Ford had some instances of failure+fire even after that. So there's currently an outstanding recall with no remedy yet to do something for those with engines prior to the affected date. Otherwise there's been a few PCM/other module updates to address some spurious emissions CEL. Some have complained vocally about the blended braking at low speed and ICE/EV transition but most are getting those rolled into the CEL update procedure.

darnon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 3, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

May be sounding like a broken record here, but i am dumbfounded by the price of vehicles right now.

Minimum wage hasn't moved since 2018. Prices in Canadian dollars, which also hasn't moved for the most part.

Mazda 3:

2018: $16,000
2024: $24,200

Corolla:

2018: $17,554
2024: $26,265

F-150

2018: $25,699
2024: $46,055
2024 Ranger: $38,480
2024 Maverick: $32,600

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Powershift posted:

May be sounding like a broken record here, but i am dumbfounded by the price of vehicles right now.

Minimum wage hasn't moved since 2018. Prices in Canadian dollars, which also hasn't moved for the most part.

Mazda 3:

Corolla:

F-150

Its loving insane. And each and every year like clockwork I await the article or website mention of "price of car ____ is going up _____ for model year ___"
Ive been on the fence about a X3 for like 3 years, and with 0 new features or anything to show for it, the car has ballooned like $5K in cost.
Same with the C8. It was what $60K at launch? Now I think after the latest "price of car ____ is going up _____ for model year _24__" its going to be almost $68K this year. TO START!
The cost of the feature that raises the car up 2 inches so you don't destroy the front bumper is now $2600. Meaning it doubled!
Im slowly watching my dream built inch closer and closer to crossing over $100K

Meanwhile work is like "here is a pizza. you matter."
I have no idea how people are doing this poo poo. It has to be taking on a shitload of debt and just watching it all burn down.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Powershift posted:

Mazda 3:

Corolla:

F-150

I mean, trim levels matter so some of these comparisons may be off. Vehicles are very expensive, but the Corolla is not going to start at $26k right now anyways

But it’s close :smith: and nothing on dealer lots is usually MSRP anyway, an MSRP factory order would be like pulling teeth

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Inner Light posted:

I mean, trim levels matter so some of these comparisons may be off. Vehicles are very expensive, but the Corolla is not going to start at $26k right now anyways

But it’s close :smith: and nothing on dealer lots is usually MSRP anyway, an MSRP factory order would be like pulling teeth

I see the corolla starting at $26,164 on toyota.ca? Or were you saying that they would start way higher than that because there would be no base model?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

Same with the C8. It was what $60K at launch? Now I think after the latest "price of car ____ is going up _____ for model year _24__" its going to be almost $68K this year. TO START!
The cost of the feature that raises the car up 2 inches so you don't destroy the front bumper is now $2600. Meaning it doubled!

Yeah, C8 Corvette in Canada

2020: $69,998
2023: $78,924
2024: $90,825

GM saw dealers gouging and instead of smacking them down, they took their cut.

It is all part of the larger frustration of companies making a larger profit selling to 100 people at $1000 per item than 10,000 people at $10 per item, and so many basic rear end things becoming luxuries.

I'll obviously never own a new car, but the new market becoming so corrupted has a ton of knock-on effects on used markets. Our used market has also been gutted by a free flow of vehicles to a used car market with 10 times our population and considerably stronger wages, and it's not like functioning public transit has been built out as an alternative.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TheBacon posted:

I see the corolla starting at $26,164 on toyota.ca? Or were you saying that they would start way higher than that because there would be no base model?

Please disregard that, I read it too quickly and misread the Canadian bit, I apologize as I believe is customary

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Please disregard that, I read it too quickly and misread the Canadian bit, I apologize as I believe is customary

I apologize as well.

I think having the same currency name as the world reserve currency and our largest trading partner allows some of the imbalance. Nobody knows what a peso is worth, but Amazon gets away with paying warehouse workers $17/hour in the US and Canada whether that's $17 USD or $12.40 USD after exchange.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Franco Caution posted:

Its loving insane. And each and every year like clockwork I await the article or website mention of "price of car ____ is going up _____ for model year ___"
Ive been on the fence about a X3 for like 3 years, and with 0 new features or anything to show for it, the car has ballooned like $5K in cost.

Meanwhile work is like "here is a pizza. you matter."
I have no idea how people are doing this poo poo. It has to be taking on a shitload of debt and just watching it all burn down.

Own nothing and be happy miserable.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I paid almost 40k out the door for a loving civic si. That’s with a couple thousand in dealer markup of course but every dealer I talked to had the same deal; it’s insane and every day I kick myself for ever selling my 2017 gti which I bought new for mid 20 something and that’s what they cost on the used market, 6 years later

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
To get a new version of my ten year old truck would cost about 90% more lol

Derp, wrote the math wrong at first but still

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 4, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ADINSX posted:

I paid almost 40k out the door for a loving civic si. That’s with a couple thousand in dealer markup of course but every dealer I talked to had the same deal; it’s insane and every day I kick myself for ever selling my 2017 gti which I bought new for mid 20 something and that’s what they cost on the used market, 6 years later

In my brain "about $40k" is what a BMW 335i or something costs. I guess I'm about 15 years out of date: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15150788/2007-bmw-335i-coupe-road-test/

quote:

BMW isn't charging much more for the turbocharged 335i. With a base price of $41,295

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My brain is still “9000 and below: economy car, 15,000-20,000 nice sedan, 30,000+ luxury car”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo's pretty crazy. Sure there's "inflation" but a) salaries haven't increase as much as inflation and b) cost of new and used cars is a factor in CPI calculation so it's tautological anyway

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I really do want to know what the $130,000 Nissan 400Z actually sold for: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40850471/nissan-z-dealer-markup/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I really do want to know what the $130,000 Nissan 400Z actually sold for: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40850471/nissan-z-dealer-markup/

If it sold at all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

euphronius posted:

My brain is still “9000 and below: economy car, 15,000-20,000 nice sedan, 30,000+ luxury car”

A classic car baseline was using the lowest spec fiat. Before the euro it was ten million lira, afterwards it was eight thousand euros and now it's eighteen thousands.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Same

I had an exchange with someone about six months ago that went something like

"Teslas are priced like luxury vehicles, the model 3 and Y are averaging $55,000 per unit"
"That's because the average car is $47,000 now"
"Yeah but they're pricing and marketing them like luxury cars"
"The average Tesla sells for $8,000 more than the average car. Doesn't seem like a lot of premium considering it's a market leader EV :shrug:"

I haven't checked but I did see a news alert on my phone recently that Tesla has a base option model Y for $44k.

UAW seems to have gotten the memo, they're doing some saber rattling small strikes to, I guess, get ready for big negotiations to get a slice of the fat profits pie automakers have been reaping the last couple years. One report said they were targeting 40% wage increase.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
they have a good argument for the 40%, the CEOs get bumps like that while they tell the union workers that there's just no money in the budget for a raise

there was someone that had been paid the same amount every year from 2016-2023 because they needed to "make sacrifices" to keep the oem afloat

"Dawnya Ferdinandsen builds transmissions for Chevy Silverados and other trucks at a GM plant in Ohio. This summer, she was earning $27 an hour - the same as what she was making when she was hired in 2016. While CEOs enjoy their luxury watches and second homes, she says, workers like her face tough choices."

"GM last year disclosed that Mary Barra's compensation was 362 times that of the median worker at GM"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Twerk from Home posted:

In my brain "about $40k" is what a BMW 335i or something costs. I guess I'm about 15 years out of date: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15150788/2007-bmw-335i-coupe-road-test/

Same. I was even interested in the type r until I reached out to a dealer who told me they’d be happy to sell me a bright blue one for sixty thousand dollars out the door…. A sixty thousand dollar civic

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I saw a Range Rover sport today and cannot fathom why they are pivoting to Lozenges As A Design Language.

Just gonna think about the 90s Discovery and weep.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

moist turtleneck posted:

they have a good argument for the 40%, the CEOs get bumps like that while they tell the union workers that there's just no money in the budget for a raise

there was someone that had been paid the same amount every year from 2016-2023 because they needed to "make sacrifices" to keep the oem afloat

"Dawnya Ferdinandsen builds transmissions for Chevy Silverados and other trucks at a GM plant in Ohio. This summer, she was earning $27 an hour - the same as what she was making when she was hired in 2016. While CEOs enjoy their luxury watches and second homes, she says, workers like her face tough choices."

"GM last year disclosed that Mary Barra's compensation was 362 times that of the median worker at GM"

I can't even pretend to keep up with american wages, 27 dollars an hour and there are tough choices? I my world that's some crazy amount of money if you work a regular 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can't even pretend to keep up with american wages, 27 dollars an hour and there are tough choices? I my world that's some crazy amount of money if you work a regular 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

That’s 56k a year base. Not the thread for it but yeah. 56k in 2016 dollars is about 72k in 2023 dollars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

That's gross income, pre-tax, so they're taking home less. Median rent in the US is more than $2,000/mo and you're paying more than that in any city you've ever heard of: https://www.rent.com/research/average-rent-price-report/

The median used car payment is more than $500/mo now and new is much higher, of course. Childcare is more than $1000/mo anywhere in the country and dramatically higher in cities. You don't get to live a middle class American life with a house, car, and kids for $27/hr.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Two words.

Healthcare Costs

Two other words.

Childcare Costs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

It's better than some jobs but remember people in factories put their bodies on the line and it's easy to end up with injuries (chronic and acute) which can easily reduce your quality of life and years available to keep working. The number of people who make it to standard retirement age while doing this kind of is low.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 4, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Here's some interesting perspective from more than 40 years ago: https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/03/business/gm-and-ford-press-uaw-on-labor-costs.html

quote:

Now the union, which has given up more than $1 billion in pay concessions to assist the Chrysler Corporation, is hunkering down to defend its gains against efforts by the Ford Motor Company and the General Motors Corporation to lower their labor costs.

Both have said they cannot afford to compete with Japanese automobile companies when their labor costs are more than $19 an hour compared with about $11 for Japanese companies. (The average hourly labor cost for all American manufacturing industries in 1979 was $9.85, according to the United States Chamber of Commerce.)

In 1980, General Motors reported that its average cost of hourly labor in the United States was $18.44. At Ford, where basic pay scales are essentially the same, the hourly cost was $19.99.

Last year the straight-time wage was $10.34 an hour with benefits adding $4.15, or about 40 percent, to costs.

That $20/hr in the year 1981 that labor was costing Ford is more than $70/hr inflation adjusted to now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And there's probably a whole lot less of it now with automation.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

same

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

And there's probably a whole lot less of it now with automation.
More production volume too. Wouldn't be surprised if the headcount was actually up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

More production volume too. Wouldn't be surprised if the headcount was actually up.

It’s not and its continuing diminishment is a source of great concern to the UAW

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does UAW have a long term plan for maintaining union employment headcount

Nothing in particular is coming to mind

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Sorry if this has been discussed but Im an idiot, and I was thinking of renting something on Turo for the first time.

Dealerships dont have poo poo for stock for C8 Corvettes and this is the first gen I haven't officially owned or driven. Sure why not, I can just pay $170 dollars and rent one for a day on Turo. Drive it around town, see how I like it, and I dont even need to talk to 1 sales person!
"Im guessing the cost of the rental includes what I need. I mean sure, they probably try to sell you extras you can decline, but my insurance and CC covers any deductible or additional coverage I need, you know, like how it works when I rent an actual rental car." <--Words spoken by an idiot.

So I get towards the end of the check out.
"Oh its not actually $170 anymore , its $180 now for the rental." Fine.
Whats this? A Trip fee for 28% on top of the actual rental. gently caress that sucks, but fine I guess, Ill continue.
Another 28% fee, this time for a "Protection Plan"? Nah I'm good, I already confirmed with my CC and my insurance policy Im covered on both. Let me just hit Decline on that bad boy and move on to reserving this beast.
Nope! MANDATORY. "This trip requires you to purchase a protection plan through Turo to limit your out-of-pocket costs in the rare event of damage to XXXXXX vehicle."
Maybe its just this person. Ill try one of the other 3 C8s. Nope , same exact message on the other 2.

So now if I were to proceed, the estimated cost ballooned almost 60% and requires almost $1K deposit to boot.
Good poo poo.

How could I be so blind and dumb and think this would be any different from Air B&B, Uber Eats, Door Dash with their add ons and fees?
Back to driving my 1/18 scale C8 back and forth on my desk. Vroom Vroom!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

27 bucks an hour is crap esp when just having a roof over your head has bulleted up in the last 5 years

And C-suite pay keeps going up while real workers get jack poo poo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed but Im an idiot, and I was thinking of renting something on Turo for the first time.

Dealerships dont have poo poo for stock for C8 Corvettes and this is the first gen I haven't officially owned or driven. Sure why not, I can just pay $170 dollars and rent one for a day on Turo. Drive it around town, see how I like it, and I dont even need to talk to 1 sales person!
"Im guessing the cost of the rental includes what I need. I mean sure, they probably try to sell you extras you can decline, but my insurance and CC covers any deductible or additional coverage I need, you know, like how it works when I rent an actual rental car." <--Words spoken by an idiot.

So I get towards the end of the check out.
"Oh its not actually $170 anymore , its $180 now for the rental." Fine.
Whats this? A Trip fee for 28% on top of the actual rental. gently caress that sucks, but fine I guess, Ill continue.
Another 28% fee, this time for a "Protection Plan"? Nah I'm good, I already confirmed with my CC and my insurance policy Im covered on both. Let me just hit Decline on that bad boy and move on to reserving this beast.
Nope! MANDATORY. "This trip requires you to purchase a protection plan through Turo to limit your out-of-pocket costs in the rare event of damage to XXXXXX vehicle."
Maybe its just this person. Ill try one of the other 3 C8s. Nope , same exact message on the other 2.

So now if I were to proceed, the estimated cost ballooned almost 60% and requires almost $1K deposit to boot.
Good poo poo.

How could I be so blind and dumb and think this would be any different from Air B&B, Uber Eats, Door Dash with their add ons and fees?
Back to driving my 1/18 scale C8 back and forth on my desk. Vroom Vroom!

Has Hertz not added the C8s yet? Does this mean that Hertz is currently Corvette-less? They sold a ton of C7 Z06es just before they went bankrupt: https://jalopnik.com/hertz-just-dumped-a-bunch-of-cheap-z06-corvettes-onto-t-1843521667

I don't follow the Corvette market, did the C8 push down C7 Z06 prices? How much cheaper than $60k are they now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Basically we’re still mentally living in the 1980s where having 80k per year is considered serious money.
But when you factor how wages have been tracking with inflation and productivity increases the reality is far more dire. A 75k salary in 2013 when adjust for inflation is like 115k today.

We’ve decided as a society that there’s no budget for wage increases and all the gains should go to shareholders. Henry Ford was an antisemitic piece of poo poo but he had the right idea, if your own employees can’t afford the cars they’re building that is a problem and they should get paid more until they can.