Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TVGM posted:

I'm seeing $450 trade-in for a Pixel 7 256 GB at Best Buy. $325 on Google's store. But you can't trade-in for the P8 Pro 512GB model :shrug:

$550 for the 7Pro 256 at Best Buy as well. Makes the Google store offer seem even more shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the whole 7 years up update now finally, here's my theory as to why this is happening now and not being backported.

My guess is this is a convergence between the ML processing capability of the hardware, Google's AI project roadmaps, and Pixel's software roadmaps.

Basically, they wanted a certain level of ML maturity in the hardware so as to not hamstring the AI integration they are planning for the Pixel Experience moving forward. I also don't necessarily mean from a direct user facing feature perspective since that's easy enough to gatekeep to a newer model. Google must be planning on baking in more AI integrations at a lower level for system level functions that they need a certain baseline hardware to be sure to support for 7 years.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Project Fi gives a straight $400 off on existing line for P8Pro, but offers a much lower trade in value than elsewhere. Just $250 for for the 256GB model. Anywhere recommended to just sell the P7Pro outright?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've always had a great experience selling devices via Swappa, though it's been a few years since I've done it so I don't know if anything has changed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

That's cool. Wonder if you could use both if you choose? Like it'll try for face unlock first, then move to fingerprint if it can't?

After ~14 years of Android, I went and bought a iPhone 15 Pro Max on launch. So far so good, but one of the things that is a little annoying is that if I'm lying in bed the face unlock doesen't always trigger successful. I guess because of the weird angle.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Edit: I made a bad post

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 4, 2023

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

smoobles posted:

Maybe I'm grumpy and poor but it seems as if Pixel's features (over the last 3 years, even) are mostly just inventing ways for people with money to spend more of it.

-AI streamlined home automation = spend $$$ on cameras! Build your Nest ecosystem!
-Google assistant dinner reservations = dine at fancy restaurants at the touch of a button
-Live translation = did someone say euro vacation?

Like who is using most of these features? Can't we just get some good battery life?

Yes only rich people need translation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

-Live translation = did someone say euro vacation?

lol this is a bad take

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Does the battery life still suck?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

taco_fox posted:

Does the battery life still suck?
Thanks to the new on board Generative AI your battery life is constantly calculated to give you a real world view of how long it will last whi-oh sorry it's already dead.

Like a lot of the new features are cool but will the batteries on these devices be good enough for 7 years of service (if they even start that good, pixel has never been good in that department) and they likely aren't moving to user serviceable since they didn't use that as a talking point. So...are we going to be using 5 year old pixel 8s with 4 hour batteries and going "I am happy about this purchase"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes only rich people need translation.

Never interacting with people or things that don’t speak your native tongue seems like the actual rich person thing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
lol Google's store page still doesn't work on Firefox. Jeeesus Google.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

minusX posted:

Thanks to the new on board Generative AI your battery life is constantly calculated to give you a real world view of how long it will last whi-oh sorry it's already dead.

Like a lot of the new features are cool but will the batteries on these devices be good enough for 7 years of service (if they even start that good, pixel has never been good in that department) and they likely aren't moving to user serviceable since they didn't use that as a talking point. So...are we going to be using 5 year old pixel 8s with 4 hour batteries and going "I am happy about this purchase"

They did mention repairability and parts through ifixit

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

TVGM posted:

They did mention repairability and parts through ifixit
Yeah saw that just now, missed that random one off comment during broadcast and it wasn't on the phone page (at least while I was browsing, might be there now that it's not slight updates as it's going live time).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Samsung SmartTags still not randomly beeping. I think that means hard-resetting solved the problem.

While combing through the settings I found a new (since I last looked) notify-me-when-left-behind feature. But it's not really useful to me because A) half the notifications are when the map starts describing it as an address on the parallel street while the tag is motionless in exactly the same spot B) the other half are that I've left an item at home even though I set home as a safe spot it shouldn't warn me about leaving it, C) the most important, when I have my phone on silent which I often due the alerts are also silent.

But here I am mad at a magic piece of plastic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what's going on with googles find-my network, they delayed it back in july citing apple still needing to roll out their side of the anti-stalker system and we still haven't heard anything since then

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The EU is going to require user-replaceable batteries by 2027, so while that won't affect the Pixel 8, the 7 years of support will eventually not be bottlenecked by battery planned obsolescence.

https://mashable.com/article/replaceable-batteries-smartphones-iphones-2027

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 4, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Wondering if they're not be too aggressive with protecting consumers. So hot on the tail of mandating USB-C, if they keep pushing Apple I presume there will at some point be a meeting in Cupertino where folks will straight ask 'How much would it cost to stage a coup in Brussels?'

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Used Google Lens in Greece this summer and it was just loving amazing. Only annoying thing is that there isn't a great way to save photos from it if I wanted them for later. Either I can do live translation (and take a screenshot I suppose), or take a picture, and then send that to Google Lens.

Anyway it was great to make sure I could safely eat packaged food, understand menus, and I was impressed that it could translate the "ROB TOURISTS" graffiti.

repiv posted:

what's going on with googles find-my network, they delayed it back in july citing apple still needing to roll out their side of the anti-stalker system and we still haven't heard anything since then
Curious about this too. I finally settled on Tile when they had announced this. Fortunately the Tile network still seems robust enough here.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Ooh, regular 8 has a 120Hz screen and is 600 nits brighter...

No WattsvilleBlues, stop that.

Bigger battery, I wonder if battery life is improved...

Is there any point spamming my update button for Android 14 on my Pixel 7, or should I just side load it and be done?

Edit: Must have just been pushed at 1900 BST, downloading now. 1.90GB.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2023

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Nalin posted:

It worked fine for me? I was able to place an order OK via Firefox.

It looks like Google is finally opening a Google Store on the west coast in Mountain View, so I had my order shipped there so I can check it out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress I want the 8 Pro, what is wrong with me other than everything

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It's a tempting device? Still not wild about the AI poo poo but it seems like a cool phone

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress I want the 8 Pro, what is wrong with me other than everything

CLAM DOWN my son, we are the hungry whores that marketing departments dream of. We're just eagerly taking that sauce all over our loving faces.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nalin posted:

Ordered mine on FF as soon as the page went live. I'm gonna guess you've got an extension loving things up.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
For P8Pro, Is all the AI stuff on-device now? I assume most of the data the Pixel Watch learns about you gets sent back to Google?

I just want the cool stuff without the strings attached :\

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We won't know anything about battery until things get into user hands (and even then outliers are going to be the most vocal so heaps of salt.)

But the SoC is more efficient (both in process node and ARM Cortex models) and the displays should be more efficient (especially the Pro's LTPO.)

We also don't know how much functionally is offloaded from general compute on the SoC to specialized ML hardware which could help.

The comment they made about being able to run ML models in parallel was kinda interesting, it could allow for the G3 to get into an idle state faster.

FYI on the EU law, it isn't going to change much because you are exempted from being user replaceable if your battery can do 1000 cycles before getting to 80%. So, some net benefits in that it will prompt some higher quality battery use that degrades slower, but it isn't going to usher in the era of quick swap batteries at the high end.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zet posted:

For P8Pro, Is all the AI stuff on-device now? I assume most of the data the Pixel Watch learns about you gets sent back to Google?

I just want the cool stuff without the strings attached :\

More of it is. Each iteration, outside of the CPU/GPU updates, is adding more algorithms in silicon. What's not in silicon goes back to Google, like the enhanced video bits. Some of it is done on device, but it offloads a bunch of it to the cloud services.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, something that often gets lost in the spec race narrative is that Google has slowly been adding more and more of their ML hardware to the SoC over time. This doesn't really show up on the ARM spec sheet. Google has deep hardware understanding with tensor when it comes to their datacenter stuff and bringing that to your hand over time is the ultimate goal of the Tensor Gx project. The general compute cores are probably going to get less and less relevant over time for the core functions of the phone.

It's also going to make comparing phones even more annoying a task. The entire front page of the GooglePixel subreddit is "how can google possibly ask Apple or Samsung money for an SoC that's on the same level as the SD8+ Gen 1. It's a midrange phone!!!!!"

Really when you think about it, how much more general compute power is going to be necessary to run DoorDash or Instagram 3 years from now? Games are the outliner of course since they are always spec hungry, but the apps people use on a day to day basis have very little need for increase computing power. Do I need an ARM X5 core running at 4ghz to choose my weekly meals in Hello Fresh? If the end goal is to make your device a natural language capable personal assistant that gets out of the way to let you do things, general compute capability isn't really the best use of engineering resources.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 4, 2023

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

More of it is. Each iteration, outside of the CPU/GPU updates, is adding more algorithms in silicon. What's not in silicon goes back to Google, like the enhanced video bits. Some of it is done on device, but it offloads a bunch of it to the cloud services.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, something that often gets lost in the spec race narrative is that Google has slowly been adding more and more of their ML hardware to the SoC over time. This doesn't really show up on the ARM spec sheet. Google has deep hardware understanding with tensor when it comes to their datacenter stuff and bringing that to your hand over time is the ultimate goal of the Tensor Gx project. The general compute cores are probably going to get less and less relevant over time for the core functions of the phone.

It's also going to make comparing phones even more annoying a task. The entire front page of the GooglePixel subreddit is "how can google possibly ask Apple or Samsung money for an SoC that's on the same level as the SD8+ Gen 1. It's a midrange phone!!!!!"

Really when you think about it, how much more general compute power is going to be necessary to run DoorDash or Instagram 3 years from now? Games are the outliner of course since they are always spec hungry, but the apps people use on a day to day basis have very little need for increase computing power. Do I need an ARM X5 core running at 4ghz to choose my weekly meals in Hello Fresh? If the end goal is to make your device a natural language capable personal assistant that gets out of the way to let you do things, general compute capability isn't really the best use of engineering resources.

Definitely appreciate the insight. Some days I'm pretty excited for where all the tech and cool stuff is headed and other times I just see all the tendrils the companies could feasibly put into such tech and I just want to build a log cabin by the lake.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

pairofdimes posted:

It worked fine for me? I was able to place an order OK via Firefox.

It looks like Google is finally opening a Google Store on the west coast in Mountain View, so I had my order shipped there so I can check it out.

I was eventually able to get it to work by deleting prefs. Some setting was probably disabling something and Google was tripping over it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Wow, AUD pricing has the 8 at $1199 and pro at $1699. With google credit as a bonus, no buds or watch.

Guess I am looking elsewhere now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I stupidly did an att trade-in and financing for the pixel 6 pro when it came out, they do a credit each month against the payment. If I get rid of the 6 pro they will cancel the credit and require full payment so I have to just ride out the next 12 months with the 6 pro. I guess it doesn't matter, I don't need a new phone since I never leave the house anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Super-NintendoUser posted:

IIf I get rid of the 6 pro they will cancel the credit and require full payment

That's pretty drat lovely and not the way T-Mobile works. Your promo credit is line based so if you pay off and get rid of the device, you still get the credits for the full term.

When I wanted to get the Flip 4 from the Flip 3 I had, I still had 6 months of payments left on it that were covered by promo credit. I was able to just pay off the phone and keep the credits, trading the phone in directly at Samsung for the Flip 4.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Update check just found the OTA for Android 14 on my international Pixel 7 Pro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Update check just found the OTA for Android 14 on my international Pixel 7 Pro.

Yup, mine is downloading/installing right now. Rogers in Canada.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

That's pretty drat lovely and not the way T-Mobile works. Your promo credit is line based so if you pay off and get rid of the device, you still get the credits for the full term.

When I wanted to get the Flip 4 from the Flip 3 I had, I still had 6 months of payments left on it that were covered by promo credit. I was able to just pay off the phone and keep the credits, trading the phone in directly at Samsung for the Flip 4.

The math works out to owe $360 on the phone, but with the credits it's like $36. I really don't need a new phone anyways so I'll just wait. It's done next September so I'll go for the pixel nine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm glad I have a spare defunct Verizon SIM on my hands because looks like T-Mobile is doing their typical withholding of update. Normally it wouldn't matter as I would just flash manually, but I can't from my fold right now since I'm on the last 14 beta before they went to the quarterly.

Pop out my T-Mobile sim, pop in the verizon sim, and surprise! Update is there.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pixel 8 and 8 Pro have the same kind of overheating issues:

https://wccftech.com/pixel-8-pro-tensor-g3-geekbench-6-and-3d-mark-wild-life-benchmarks/

It's kinda what made me decide to just stick with my 7. I'm good for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kirios posted:

Pixel 8 and 8 Pro have the same kind of overheating issues:

https://wccftech.com/pixel-8-pro-tensor-g3-geekbench-6-and-3d-mark-wild-life-benchmarks/

It's kinda what made me decide to just stick with my 7. I'm good for now.
"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol