Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Huh, so as of the moment W7/8 keys will still activate on 22H2 but not on the preview builds? Wonder what'll happen there.

I actually used an old Technet 7 key to activate a box earlier in the week lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Here's a fun weirdness: one of my computers updated and then suddenly USB devices don't work anymore. Any of them. I assume WU hosed something up, but how do I even go about fixing this? Safe mode?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dism/SFC? Uh, if it was a big update it keeps the old version of windows for 30 days or something still right? What does device manager say about them?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dism/SFC? Uh, if it was a big update it keeps the old version of windows for 30 days or something still right? What does device manager say about them?

*All USB devices*, so including my keyboard and mouse. I literally can't do poo poo. I think it works in bios so I don't think the hardware is fried.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

*All USB devices*, so including my keyboard and mouse. I literally can't do poo poo. I think it works in bios so I don't think the hardware is fried.

If you haven't already tried, do a full power off & reboot in case it's something with fastboot.

Another thing to try might be disconnect your mouse & keyboard during boot and only plug them in when you get to the login screen. And remove anything other than the keyboard & mouse.

Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to get into safe mode by hitting reset as soon as the windows logo comes up, might have to do that a couple times. If your devices work there, you can rollback the update.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I just installed Windows 11 pro on my new computer. I bought a new drive where I installed Windows but I also brought 2 old SSD I had on my old computer. The thing is that during install I did not notice but since an EFI partition already existed of my previous Windows install. It used it again for the new one.
I wanted to format both SSD and just use them as storage. Is there a way to create a new EFI partition on Disk2 or do I have to do a clean install of Windows 11 again?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 30, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Le0 posted:

So I just installed Windows 11 pro on my new computer. I bought a new drive where I installed Windows but I also brought 2 old SSD I had on my old computer. The thing is that during install I did not notice but since an EFI partition already existed of my previous Windows install. It used it again for the new one.
I wanted to format both SSD and just use them as storage. Is there a way to create a new EFI partition on Disk2 or do I have to do a clean install of Windows 11 again?

Heh, not only do you have the EFI partition on disk 1, windows also apparently used disk 2 for your Recovery Partition (the 521mb one). Impressive!

You could use a partition manager program (such as Macrium Reflect Free) to move both of those onto the drive with your OS. Here's how I'd do it:

1: Use disk manager to shrink the C partition by like 800 MB. The empty space will be at the end.
2. Use the partition manager to copy the EFI Partition and the Recovery Partition into that empty space, in that order.
3. Unplug or disable the 2 other drives to test. (If unplugging is a pita, check your BIOS first. Some of them can disable sata ports individually. You also may need a reboot to BIOS to set boot order / tell it the new EFI to boot from.)

I believe this can all be done inside windows, instead of needing to make a USB linux stick or macrium rescue stick. And shrinking a drive from the end is easy -- shrinking it from the beginning is annoying even on a SSD. There's no rule that the EFI partition has to be at the front of the drive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Le0 posted:

This is an all-time classic, recommendation is to have only the os drive connected when doing an install

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The times someone wants that to happen have got to be exceedingly rare, right? Why is it even possible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's generally been much better with Win10+ and UEFI systems. On a clean system with multiple drives, I wouldn't bother removing the other drives. (Before UEFI the risk was that windows would decide that drive B was the boot drive and so put the bootloader there even if you'd targeted drive A.) But I guess installing onto a system that already has an existing windows install is I guess the last way to confuse things.

And that partition structure on those drives is... pretty confused. It looks like there have been multiple installs / upgrades over time that have left extra stuff around.

Flipperwaldt posted:

The times someone wants that to happen have got to be exceedingly rare, right? Why is it even possible.

What if you want to have 2 windows installs? Which wouldn't be entirely crazy if you had like two different versions of windows alongside. You can only have 1 (active) EFI partition, so if you do this windows can generate a boot menu so you pick which OS you boot.

Also OP may have needed to use the advanced / custom path when installing, because the default would have been to upgrade the existing windows.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've been down that road a hilarious amount of times and I'm glad my current secondary drives are hot swappable or easy to pull a power or data cord from.

Enjoy learning how to repartition in 2023 or nuke it all and reinstall, because that's faster (if anything at all isn't going your way) (if you can be sure anything needing backed up is safe)

Make sure your drive is GPT and not MBR formatted, if that's a thing that's not 100% foolproof automatic nowadays.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm a bit :spergin: but I'd just wipe all the drives, disconnect all except the one I want the OS in, delete the partitions and let Windows setup take care of it. Once Windows is installed I'd create single partitions on the other drives and then sleep the sleep of the truly content.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I see your :spergin: and raise. I install proxmox on a seperate nvme, then create a vm for windows using pcie passthough for its nvme and then reboot bare metal into windows with all my other drives untouched.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I wish you could turn off certain NVMe slots in BIOS because it's a pain in the butt "disconnecting" disks nowadays.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe it's because I've run dual-boots for at least 20 years :corsair:, but I haven't bothered unplugging drives and jumping through all those hoops in a long time now. The worst I've had happen in recent memory was installing Windows fresh on a new drive while leaving the existing Windows install drive in the system, and Windows deciding the bootloader should live on the old drive. Used EasyBCD and changed where the bootloader was located and it was fine. I think that was with Windows 7, although it might have been 10 - it's been a few years. poo poo works a lot better than it used to. :shrug:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Much, much better at updating BIOS, too, when you can boot to BIOS directly from Windows. You generally don’t have to get a priest to light a candle and pray your update doesn’t brick your mobo when you update from Windows either.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the tips guys. In the end, I just unplugged my SSD and re-installed Windows from scratch it was faster I think. :eng101:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've run into this too and I'm sure I fixed it in cmd through a series of commands to create the EFI partition on the desired OS drive.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

codo27 posted:

I've run into this too and I'm sure I fixed it in cmd through a series of commands to create the EFI partition on the desired OS drive.

Window 11: I'm sure I fixed it with a series of commands

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Windows: the answer is usually diskpart

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23560:

quote:

We’re beginning to roll out the ability to use Copilot in Windows with ALT + TAB. Using the ALT + TAB hotkey now displays the thumbnail preview for Copilot in Windows among the other thumbnail previews of open windows, which you can switch between by pressing Tab.
For gently caress's sake.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No.. no..!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who is it at Microsoft that allows all these awful decisions to happen? It will make every alt-tab operation slower.

They're just loving with us at this point; well, to be fair, they did that by removing the start button in Windows 8. It really set the tone for future Windows development

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft are doing Apple's marketing for them by making Windows systems so horrible to use. Fire everybody and bring the team who did Windows 7 back to make all future OS decisions, and make sure you lock the Bing people out of the room.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Isn't win+tab supposed to be the lovely bloated version of alt+tab? Don't mess with alt+tab!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wa27 posted:

Isn't win+tab supposed to be the lovely bloated version of alt+tab? Don't mess with alt+tab!

That was my exact though too, they already have a bloated version of alt-tab that nobody uses, I guess that wasn't good enough for them

edit: aww, since when did win+tab stop doing the sweet 3D flip through windows animation? shows you how often I use it, I guess

double edit: since Windows 8, apparently

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 4, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I've seen it reported that the alt+tab CoPilot thing only appears if CoPilot was already open anyways. I'll save my outrage for if/when it releases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope they take Copilot out back and shoot it in the head in about two years time, like they have with Cortana

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

As a general windows-liker and one of the folks who generally thinks it's fine, jesus fuckin' christ that's dumb. I hope this post is correct.

Edit:
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/10/04/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-23560-dev-channel/

quote:

Changes and Improvements
[Copilot in Windows*]
We’re beginning to roll out the ability to use Copilot in Windows with ALT + TAB. Using the ALT + TAB hotkey now displays the thumbnail preview for Copilot in Windows among the other thumbnail previews of open windows, which you can switch between by pressing Tab. [UPDATE] This change does not change the ALT + TAB experience in Windows 11. Copilot only shows in ALT + TAB if Copilot is invoked from the taskbar.

Yeah, looks like it is just if Copilot is open. Okay that's fine.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 5, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hopefully I've got a bit of a common problem with a simple solution.

I recently bought a bunch of new parts to upgrade my 10 year old rig.

It's basically a completely new rig, (new PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, NVME HDD) and I was planning on dismantling the existing machine and then using the case for the new parts (it's a nice case and I was looking to save on costs where possible).

Anyway, on my existing rig I have windows 10 installed on an isolated 300GB SSD (as well as two separate 2TB SATA SSDs for files/installed steam games, etc).

What is the easiest way to transfer windows over to the new machine (and subsequently upgrade it to windows 11)?

I was planning on bringing the 3 HDDs over to the new setup and hoping to just plug them in.

However, I wasnt sure if that would work or if I'd end up with unforseen headaches to troubleshoot like widows having a seizure about where I've just moved it to and it not being able to see the drives, or boot up etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It will probably just work. PC hardware is sufficiently standardized now that you're not going to run into funny issues with storage controllers and network adapters not working at all.
The main thing to watch out for is if you're switching GPU manufacturer, then it might be a good idea to remove the old driver first, but that might also be outdated wisdom.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Excellent news.

Fortunately I upgraded my GPU a few weeks back (straight nvidia upgrade), so the drivers and everything should be good for that.

It's been a long time since I built a PC, but I should just need to make sure that the windows SSD is set as the boot source in the bios right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

The main thing to watch out for is if you're switching GPU manufacturer, then it might be a good idea to remove the old driver first, but that might also be outdated wisdom.

Even the GPU driver thing isn't a big deal these days -- multiple GPU drivers will coexist pretty happily and you can use 2 GPUs of mixed provenance without problems. I feel like you actually see more problems from old / not-fully-removed GPU drivers within the same brand that you need to DDU, rather than cross-brand.

I'd still uninstall a GPU driver package if I wasn't using that brand of card anymore, but I feel like before or after isn't that big a deal.

Kin posted:

It's been a long time since I built a PC, but I should just need to make sure that the windows SSD is set as the boot source in the bios right?

Yep. If your old windows is properly set up for UEFI and the bios is in UEFI mode, it won't even be the drive, it'll point at "Windows Boot Manager" or something.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Klyith posted:

Yep. If your old windows is properly set up for UEFI and the bios is in UEFI mode, it won't even be the drive, it'll point at "Windows Boot Manager" or something.

I've no idea what UEFI is, but I think I get you.

If it's enabled that option will be there in addition to c: d: etc

I can't quite remember when I last reinstalled windows 10 (maybe 5 years ago), but is it likely it just has that option enabled by default?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HalloKitty posted:

That was my exact though too, they already have a bloated version of alt-tab that nobody uses, I guess that wasn't good enough for them

edit: aww, since when did win+tab stop doing the sweet 3D flip through windows animation? shows you how often I use it, I guess

double edit: since Windows 8, apparently

The current version of Win+Tab is honestly quite nice.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Kin posted:

I've no idea what UEFI is, but I think I get you.

If it's enabled that option will be there in addition to c: d: etc

I can't quite remember when I last reinstalled windows 10 (maybe 5 years ago), but is it likely it just has that option enabled by default?

You might have an easier time just installing Win11 on the nvme rather than going through all the new hardware association and driver re-installs.

What I'd do is build the new system with only the nvme drive present. Install Win11, get everything updated and running, then I'd add a hard drive at a time.

It sounds like you might even be able to simply keep your old system together, since you got everything to make a new one. If so, grab a USB Thumb Drive (or an external if you have one of those), boot up the old system, look for anything you need or want from the old Win10 install, copy it to the USB stick, and bring it over to the Win11 computer. For software, that can be a little bit trickier, especially if it is something with addons or custom folders (audio and video software I know can get crazy like this). But if it is just pictures and documents, a USB thumb drive will work just fine. If it's games, you should be able to find the save location and back that up. For Steam, it can cloud save, I believe, but it also keeps it's game saves in the Steam folder by default, or is it up to the individual game? (I don't do much with Steam at all anymore)

Then you could repurpose the old system. Probably would make a great little plex server.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Koskun posted:

You might have an easier time just installing Win11 on the nvme rather than going through all the new hardware association and driver re-installs.

What I'd do is build the new system with only the nvme drive present. Install Win11, get everything updated and running, then I'd add a hard drive at a time.

It sounds like you might even be able to simply keep your old system together, since you got everything to make a new one. If so, grab a USB Thumb Drive (or an external if you have one of those), boot up the old system, look for anything you need or want from the old Win10 install, copy it to the USB stick, and bring it over to the Win11 computer. For software, that can be a little bit trickier, especially if it is something with addons or custom folders (audio and video software I know can get crazy like this). But if it is just pictures and documents, a USB thumb drive will work just fine. If it's games, you should be able to find the save location and back that up. For Steam, it can cloud save, I believe, but it also keeps it's game saves in the Steam folder by default, or is it up to the individual game? (I don't do much with Steam at all anymore)

Then you could repurpose the old system. Probably would make a great little plex server.

Yeah, that might be an easier approach, but also one that would set me back maybe £150-£200 for a new case and another windows licence (if I've understood you correctly).

I'm also partial to having windows installed on its own drive. Maybe that's not the done thing anymore? It still feels like the right thing to do if anything ever goes wrong with windows or the HDD.

That's why I'm hoping just plugging the drives in and letting windows do its thing to fix itself is the easiest option.

Then hopefully the only software I need to configure is steam and pointing it to the correct place if the drive letters have changed (though I'll be copying the games over to the NVMe drive anyway).

The old parts currently don't have a use though, which is a thing I'm trying to figure out.

I already have a small form factor refurbed dell optiplex running as a plex server. It's kinda slow as I think some of the parts were missold, but it does the job fine for something that runs in the background.

My oldest kid is just under 2 as well, so he's a few years off from getting a hand me down to play Minecraft or whatever on (though I'm sure the parts will still be more than good enough for him then).

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 6, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Kin posted:

Yeah, that might be an easier approach, but also one that would set me back maybe £150-£200 for a new case and another windows licence (if I've understood you correctly).

I'm also partial to having windows installed on its own drive. Maybe that's not the done thing anymore? It still feels like the right thing to do if anything ever goes wrong with windows or the HDD.

That's why I'm hoping just plugging the drives in and letting windows do its thing to fix itself is the easiest option.

Then hopefully the only software I need to configure is steam and pointing it to the correct place if the drive letters have changed (though I'll be copying the games over to the NVMe drive anyway).

The old parts currently don't have a use though, which is a thing I'm trying to figure out.

I already have a small form factor refurbed dell optiplex running as a plex server. It's kinda slow as I think some of the parts were missold, but it does the job fine for something that runs in the background.

My oldest kid is just under 2 as well, so he's a few years off from getting a hand me down to play Minecraft or whatever on (though I'm sure the parts will still be more than good enough for him then).
Yes and no on the price. Just to get your old system running, sitting it on a cardboard box with everything attached is sufficient to get it booted and backup what you want off it. As to a Windows License, officially I don't think you actually need one anymore. Microsoft doesn't much care, just a few customization options are limited if you don't enter a key. That said, take a look at SA Mart on this site. A few people sell Win11 keys for quite cheap (10-20 bucks US). I'd shoot them a message or post to see how the exchange rate would work, but I am guessing it wouldn't be much of an issue.

As to a case for the old system, since there is no rush keep an eye out for something basic and on sale. Generic cases I've seen as low as $30 US here and there, and with Black Friday coming up (though that might be more a US thing), but just prep for Christmas sales, there will be deals to be had.

The "Windows on it's own drive" might still be a tiny benefit, but I'd doubt much of one anymore given the speeds of nvme drives. Back in the day, yes it was a significant boost to have Windows on C and everything else on D, E, whatever. There might be a bit of a boost with SSD's keeping it separate still, as their speed isn't "fast", but that is compared to nvme.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

There's no difference whatsoever these days having Windows on a separate drive. Computers have become less exciting in the sense that they pretty much perform well without much effort. Enjoy the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I keep windows on a separate drive just on the off chance that something does go wrong with it, it doesn't take everything else with it. Saved my bacon earlier this year when I had to reinstall 10 out of nowhere, but didn't effectively lose anything.