Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Using a work computer for anything is a pain when I can't install an adblocker. It really is an entirely different internet. I don't know how people get anything done.

We're also locked into whichever version of Windows it is that shows a bunch of news stories every time you click on the taskbar. Not only does it take up like half of the monitor, it's the most inflammatory boomer ragebait you ever did see. I think the same page is the default home page for the browser as well.

I would switch back to Windows for personal use if the OS still looked like it did back in the Vista/7 era. I like a good drop down menu with some text. But everything in modern Windows is massive brightly colored squares with unlabeled emojis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ghost emoji posted:

Using a work computer for anything is a pain when I can't install an adblocker. It really is an entirely different internet. I don't know how people get anything done.

Ads don't register for me anymore, I'm stubborn as hell sometimes so it just filter them out and it's basically a slightly irritating free game of whackamole.

When the do register its a reminder to consciously avoid buying that product for a while.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ghost emoji posted:

We're also locked into whichever version of Windows it is that shows a bunch of news stories every time you click on the taskbar. Not only does it take up like half of the monitor, it's the most inflammatory boomer ragebait you ever did see. I think the same page is the default home page for the browser as well.

I would switch back to Windows for personal use if the OS still looked like it did back in the Vista/7 era. I like a good drop down menu with some text. But everything in modern Windows is massive brightly colored squares with unlabeled emojis.

1 ) Are the browsers so locked down you can't install ANY extensions? Even on my work PC I didn't need any admin access to get uBlock Origins installed

2) I'm 99%sure you can turn those news things off. Right click the Taskbar, go to News and Interest -> Turn Off:

In 11 I think it's a bit different, but close. Right-click the taskbar -> Taskbar settings, turn widgets off.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

DrBouvenstein posted:

1 ) Are the browsers so locked down you can't install ANY extensions? Even on my work PC I didn't need any admin access to get uBlock Origins installed

2) I'm 99%sure you can turn those news things off. Right click the Taskbar, go to News and Interest -> Turn Off:

In 11 I think it's a bit different, but close. Right-click the taskbar -> Taskbar settings, turn widgets off.

This is very good to know!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
cat food gets shittier constantly. I feed my cats Wellness and they've changed recipe twice in as many years, once to the point that my cats refused to eat it which is very bad for cats :(

and it's just for the normal reason which is needing to post higher profits every quarter

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Disney Plus: Remember when you paused half-way through an episode of the Simpsons?

Me: Sure, but that was 3 seasons ago, I don't know why you're bringing it up now -

D+: I cherish that memory. Let's start the autoplay there. Every time. Forever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure how the bastards at the deep state pulled this off but radio waves, a non-ionizing radiation which, in general, doesn't have enough energy to affect atoms, cells, negatively affect chemical processes, and so on...Is now able to significantly affect cells and transfer even biological viruses now.

You wanna talk about things getting shittier for no good reason? This is it, friends.

no, see, when you got vaccinated they actually implanted you with a microchip. the 5G waves will trigger the microchip which will then release the deadly virus into your body

it all makes perfect sense if you've kept up to date with the bill gates depopulation culling nanomachine vaccine lore

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My job actually installed ublock origin on every computer. It's even some funky managed version of it and not just the app store's version. Really snazzy.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Riatsala posted:

Disney Plus: Remember when you paused half-way through an episode of the Simpsons?

Me: Sure, but that was 3 seasons ago, I don't know why you're bringing it up now -

Lol I have the opposite problem. It loves to restart shows 5-10 minutes before when I paused them. This makes me spend the first few minutes remembering where and getting back to my stopping point. Awesome tech.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

cat food gets shittier constantly. I feed my cats Wellness and they've changed recipe twice in as many years, once to the point that my cats refused to eat it which is very bad for cats :(

and it's just for the normal reason which is needing to post higher profits every quarter

ugh, and it is ungodly expensive to get the good food. one of my cats is on a prescription food and the prices are just insane.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I work for a major university hospital system in a major city on the west coast US... they are not giving us COVID vaccines this year.

lol lmao

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

humpthewind posted:

Lol I have the opposite problem. It loves to restart shows 5-10 minutes before when I paused them. This makes me spend the first few minutes remembering where and getting back to my stopping point. Awesome tech.

My daughter burned through Gumball on D+ a few months ago and is rewatching it now. You’d think that getting to the credits and clicking “Next Episode” would mark that episode as watched so a subsequent viewing would start from the beginning - right?

Every episode starts about 80% through and she has to rewind back to the beginning. Welcome to your future, kiddo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Riatsala posted:

Prime: Hey! That's a great idea!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Seconded. We don't get admin access on our workstations but I was still able to install the uBlock Origins extension for Edge. Thank god for that. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to make opening a new tab not show me a wall of Facebook style boomer rage bait. Or is that just how news articles are written now?

ghost emoji posted:

Yeah, that stuff.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 4, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

killa-pope posted:

My daughter burned through Gumball on D+ a few months ago and is rewatching it now. You’d think that getting to the credits and clicking “Next Episode” would mark that episode as watched so a subsequent viewing would start from the beginning - right?

Every episode starts about 80% through and she has to rewind back to the beginning. Welcome to your future, kiddo.

Gumball is loving awesome and so is your daughter. BRB, slapping every season of that poo poo on my server, thanks for reminding me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao jesus

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Riatsala posted:

My Disney+ decided to stop paying attention after I paused a show once, so now anything after that paused episode permanently shows as never watched.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm guessing that YouTube lowered the quality of 1080p video, labeled the previous decent quality of 1080p video as "enhanced" and wants money for it. Kinda like "family size" food packaging.

nothing on youtube is worth paying for, or watching a single ad for. shut up and play videos, or don't, I don't care.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Biplane posted:

Lmfao jesus

If you read the blurb it’s barely comprehensible and 100% fake

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

euphronius posted:

If you read the blurb it’s barely comprehensible and 100% fake

Yes we're all familiar with Amazon reviews.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I google locations pretty often by typing them in the browser search bar. It's faster than opening google maps because the map will appear at the top of the search results. Recently they've started neutering the map so that it doesn't have full map functionality or link to the actual map page. It's poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dominoes advertising sure has poo poo the bed lately.

1990s: Our pizza is delicious!
2000s: Sorry, our pizza was actually trash but we're trying harder
2010s: We just suck at pizza so we're trying some other things
2020s: lol we fuckin suck at everything

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

Dominoes advertising sure has poo poo the bed lately.

1990s: Our pizza is delicious!
2000s: Sorry, our pizza was actually trash but we're trying harder
2010s: We just suck at pizza so we're trying some other things
2020s: lol we fuckin suck at everything We hired Nathan For You to run our business.

Fixed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

wash bucket posted:

Seconded. We don't get admin access on our workstations but I was still able to install the uBlock Origins extension for Edge. Thank god for that. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to make opening a new tab not show me a wall of Facebook style boomer rage bait. Or is that just how news articles are written now?

Yeah, that stuff.

It MIGHT be forced on you by your organization through GPO, but you might be able to change it:

In Edge, click the three dots, go to settings, then in the left nav go to "Start, home, and new tabs" and just change it:

That part might be forced, but even if you HAVE to have the "New Tab" page is the thing that, by default in Edge, will have the click-bait Boomer rage poo poo, you can also just click the gear on that home page itself and turn off content:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how my older phone has an option to still receive the nano machine signal, but atleast its muted and just vibrates, but my newer devices have no way to silently get it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FYI, Patreon just released an update and, surprise, it's poo poo!

No more pure chronological feeds. It's all group by the creator you follow, so you have to scroll through a bunch from Creator A before you get to any from Creator B, even if A hasn't updated recently but B has.

And the logo is butt:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And the logo is butt:

I'm not seeing a butt, but I am seeing a chimpanzee skull

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
That’s a spleen

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:flaccid:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is a Yak Bak. Glorious Y2K aesthetic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
cool winamp skins there patreon

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
More like pootreon.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

skooma512 posted:

lol thinking you have any consistency in sports let alone streaming and sports.

First hour of the game is on Hulu, subsequent hours are on the ESPN app only. Alternating weeks with Prime video. Halfway through the season all contracts void as NFL pushes NFL mobile which will give way to Playoffs Plus, their new app, for the playoffs, which goes back to Prime video due to a court case.

I have a family member that works for Bally sports, the lovely streaming situation for MLB and NFL are done on purpose because they (the teams and sports organization) think the fans will get so frustrated trying to watch it from home that they will spend the money and time to attend the sport in person. it's the dumbest loving thing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Tythas posted:

I have a family member that works for Bally sports, the lovely streaming situation for MLB and NFL are done on purpose because they (the teams and sports organization) think the fans will get so frustrated trying to watch it from home that they will spend the money and time to attend the sport in person. it's the dumbest loving thing

Oh ya, the "blackout" thing. This happened to me a few times when I used to watch hockey. Every so often the channel was just blacked out, as a punishment for the stadium not selling out or some poo poo like that.

Like, you only know this is happening when it happens, it's not announced ahead of time. What? Is someone really just going to panic buy a ticket 15 minutes after the game is started, go down through in my case, LA traffic, to catch half the game?

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
This thread title because I keep mistaking it for the trump thread.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Oriental Hugs posted:

This thread title because I keep mistaking it for the trump thread.

Post ITT every time you notice Trump getting an even shittier attorney for no good reason

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Riatsala posted:

It turns out mission impossible 2 is a lot better if you forget having watched half of it and given up, and assume that starting with an action sequence is just a great no bullshit intro technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

SoundCloud mobile hosed with the feed. Now it’s big album art squares instead of an easily scrollable list.