Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

majour333 posted:

Yeah, on kentmere 400

Very awesome 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Ty :)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Woah - looks almost like a 3d render

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Woah - looks almost like a 3d render

Boring Photo + Colour Grade = Interesting Photo

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Megabound posted:

Boring Photo + Colour Grade = Interesting Photo

You think my photo is boring?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yes. I think most of your photography relies too heavily on unnatural colour grading, lens flares and heavy angles in an attempt to build interest in a scenes where there is little. Your large format work is showing potential to me as I think it makes you slow down and consider. Like, this is good to me:

Everything else is just eh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most photos are, it's the light and contrast that generates a reaction. No one gives a poo poo about a picture of a mountain at noon on a clear day. But add some shadows from sidelight and rosy colored clouds and suddenly people go bonkers over it.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Megabound posted:

Everything else is just eh.

Sorry you can't appreciate it.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I appreciate your apology

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

majour333 posted:

I appreciate your apology

Great rocks 😎

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Viginti Septem posted:

it’s fine if people don’t like your work, but there’s always a nugget to take from their feedback

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I also don't like your usual photos. They feel amateurish in the sense of trying to dress up a boring photo with some colour and some editing.

I don't mean to shut you down and tell you to stop doing what you're doing, I want you to evolve it. Have something to say with it. Take it in an interesting direction. Question it and question your motives.

The large format photo of the alley is good.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Viginti Septem posted:

I am also a mediocre photographer. However I try to learn from criticism instead of assuming the critic is wrong.

(Cue Simpsons "No, it's the children who are wrong" meme.)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i on the other hand will never evolve from doing pov car photos

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 4, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Been enjoying this series. The flash is really well balanced with the exterior and it makes it look like a composite

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
To be clear, personally I could never imagine trying to grow a photography community by telling someone that their work is boring, is "meh", or that they are a mediocre photographer, etc.

Negative criticism is something I don't mind, we receive tons of it in the fine art degree world, what I am concerned about are the photographers who see their colleagues acting out of bad faith who are more timid or shy than me and will be less willing to share their work for fear that the people they are sharing with will cut into them like this.

I feel there are better ways to express negative criticism than to speak to someone the way expressed above and then when the photographer in question responds to the criticism in a way other than subservience and acceptance of the bad criticism they are then mocked for not accepting the way criticism goes. We can be better than that and not gatekeep what makes art by telling someone that their work doesn't qualify with passive aggressive attacks on what they put their heart into.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No one is gatekeeping, this is a subforum of photographers with wide and varying opinions and styles, it's also a subforum where criticism isn't couched in niceties. Your art is not sacrosanct.

It's fine to like your own art, it's fine if other people like it, but I'm not here to pat everyone on the back and say good job. You seem to be focusing on the part where I said I don't like most of your work instead of the part where I explain why I don't like it and what I do like about other things you've posted. I don't know how I can be more supportive and clear than that. I didn't drive by and dismiss your photography out of hand. I've looked at it, I've thought about it and I've written down those thoughts.

This isn't a personal attack, this is an art critique based on a body of observed work.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
You're free to set the tone of your subforum however you want.

Sacrosanct is an interesting word.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I would rather participate in a community where by sharing you are implicitly asking for critique, personally

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Viginti Septem posted:

You're free to set the tone of your subforum however you want.

Sacrosanct is an interesting word.

You’re barking up the wrong tree. They revel in this poo poo.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

blue squares posted:

I would rather participate in a community where by sharing you are implicitly asking for critique, personally

Me too.

My issue is how to properly approach good critiquing. There are better ways to offer critiques that don't come off as attacks. As I've stated here my concern is for people who may be more timid or shy than me. I can handle critiques and deal with them all the time. There's a reason I haven't gone after or mentioned the actual critiques that Megabound offered such as color grading or lens flares, etc, because those are actual, substantive critiques that offer a way for the subject in question to analyze their work and improve. My concern is and has been in the delivery of attacks such as "your work is boring", "your work is amateurish" and "your work is eh". Those are attacks you'd find on Twitter and do nothing to advance a positive discourse. Those are the type of negative critiques that shut people down, and simply following it up with a statement such as "I'm not trying to shut you down" doesn't erase that as a fact.

We can be better in our critiquing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As critique goes in here that was super chill. Learn from it and move on, it'll make you better.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Who is being passive aggressive?
We're pretty direct.

Attacks? How is calling your work boring and amateurish an attack? Lol
Just because you receive a critique doesn't make it an attack.

A critique doesn't have to come veiled in a "poo poo sandwich" style, this isn't high school.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Probably wasn’t the most effective feedback presentation but I don’t expect that from an internet forum and some good points to consider for my own journey. Lots of different skillsets in here and SA will (hopefully) always be a rowdy place. Just gotta take the parts that help you, enjoy some pictures and don’t worry about the rest. I hope you keep contributing as I could use the color grading inspiration. I love black and white but also enjoy the variety here!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Superb.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Viginti Septem posted:

Me too.

My issue is how to properly approach good critiquing. There are better ways to offer critiques that don't come off as attacks. As I've stated here my concern is for people who may be more timid or shy than me. I can handle critiques and deal with them all the time. There's a reason I haven't gone after or mentioned the actual critiques that Megabound offered such as color grading or lens flares, etc, because those are actual, substantive critiques that offer a way for the subject in question to analyze their work and improve. My concern is and has been in the delivery of attacks such as "your work is boring", "your work is amateurish" and "your work is eh". Those are attacks you'd find on Twitter and do nothing to advance a positive discourse. Those are the type of negative critiques that shut people down, and simply following it up with a statement such as "I'm not trying to shut you down" doesn't erase that as a fact.

We can be better in our critiquing.

Sometimes the most useful critique has nothing to do with technique and focusing on techniques like color grading won't resolve more fundamental issues with a photo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don’t think anyone is trying to grow any community on SA either.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Thanks for the comments everyone. A lot to think about posted here. Continue shooting and sharing, and have a great day.

-vs ✌️

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

edit: removed

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 4, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

85mm f/1.4D is a fun lens.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bobmarleysghost posted:

Who is being passive aggressive?
We're pretty direct.

Attacks? How is calling your work boring and amateurish an attack? Lol
Just because you receive a critique doesn't make it an attack.

A critique doesn't have to come veiled in a "poo poo sandwich" style, this isn't high school.

As we are sharing today and being direct. What are your forearm photos meant to convey?

Some of your work I like, but this series I do not get so I thought I'd just be forward and ask.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Viginti Septem posted:

Thanks for the comments everyone. A lot to think about posted here. Continue shooting and sharing, and have a great day.

-vs ✌️

I’ll add an actual helpful idiom that I try to think about for every photo. A good edit can’t save a bad photo, but a bad edit can ruin a good photo. I don’t think your edit was good, the colors are unnatural and the exposure is pushed too much across the scene in a way that approaches bad HDR. But editing aside, that photo wasn’t anything interesting to start with. It’s a generic street view shot and nothing more. There is probably a good composition on the far left with the store signs and the light hitting them, but in the wider view that can’t make up for the otherwise bland scene.

I’ll echo that it’s not personal. We have all posted bad or boring photos. I think the right approach to posting here is partly to share work you like, but also to learn and improve even if only by observing your ongoing posts or by taking criticisms or compliments in even if they’re harsh.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

As we are sharing today and being direct. What are your forearm photos meant to convey?

Some of your work I like, but this series I do not get so I thought I'd just be forward and ask.

I'm inserting the viewer in the driver's seat and I'm giving them the idea of being in control - there is the feeling/memory of being the driver while in reality they're just a viewer still, they can only observe from my point of view, they see what I choose to see.

I don't have a clear direction in where I'm going with the series yet and what I want to achieve, but I like the idea of putting the viewer in my place while I do my daily dreary commute to work or while I drive out to see my parents etc, taking them along for the ride.

I love Friedlander's America by car and I can say that work is an influence.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Aside, can folks link any other good photography blogs or digital zines they read and follow like this? I'm trying to rebuild an RSS feed for photography and a lot of my old stuff is either paywalled now or moved entirely to social media.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm inserting the viewer in the driver's seat and I'm giving them the idea of being in control - there is the feeling/memory of being the driver while in reality they're just a viewer still, they can only observe from my point of view, they see what I choose to see.

I don't have a clear direction in where I'm going with the series yet and what I want to achieve, but I like the idea of putting the viewer in my place while I do my daily dreary commute to work or while I drive out to see my parents etc, taking them along for the ride.

I'm a fan of the car shots and the first-person perspectives.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Aside, can folks link any other good photography blogs or digital zines they read and follow like this? I'm trying to rebuild an RSS feed for photography and a lot of my old stuff is either paywalled now or moved entirely to social media.

Oh I don't endorse that blog, don't know what they post, it was just the only link I could find with multiple images from the book.
That being said, I don't know of any blogs but I do follow a bunch of IG accounts - publishers writers - that post books/work regularly. I can list those if you're interested.

Viginti Septem posted:

I'm a fan of the car shots and the first-person perspectives.

Thanks, I need to take it somewhere but I think the idea has legs so I'll be pursuing it.