Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everyone has something cringe that they do. These people enjoy doing whatever that is, and it seems like they are having fun, so whatever. You only get one chance to be 18-22 and be in a frat or a sorority, so let them have their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

I think it's typical that things are split, with some members living in the house and others in their own places (and just coming in for the social events like this).

At UT anyway, the richer sororities maintain a second, nicer house that hosts dinners and public-facing events. So most of them would live in the same kind of unkempt shithole as the frats, but would have a keeping-up-appearances front house.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Oh God I'm getting old. My first reaction was like "Where do they find the time!? Don't they have classes and other obligations?" One of my professors back in school, who probably wasn't much older than i am now, asked what we do with all of our endless free time and we all shrugged it off. I am still not sure what I did with all that free time.

ugh sometimes i wish i just took out a bunch of loans and lived in west campus instead of taking capmetro from leander every day. it was a three-hour round trip

LanceHunter posted:

While sororities in general are cringe, and A&M is by far the cringiest of all major universities, I don't know if much good has ever come from adult men making weird comments about the dumb poo poo that teenage girls get up to.
honestly i would think the worst greek life schools would be like ole miss or bama

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They're all the same now really. You can find the same videos and poo poo from anywhere.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I am still not sure what I did with all that free time.

Mostly I played Battlefield 2

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I am still not sure what I did with all that free time.
For me, there was a lot of making the Half-Life explosion sound come out over and over across multiple different multiplayer total conversions.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I just thought the music was poo poo. Bro-country is an abomination.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah why cant we respect the giants of country music like alan jackson

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Congrats to Joe Straus on his election as speaker

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

yeah why cant we respect the giants of country music like alan jackson

:stare:

Surely you meant WANDA Jackson????? :toughguy:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

jesus there are dozens of these. do they just stand around and rehearse all day?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7267305051855605038

That all started with a sorority at Alabama. Referred to as Bama Rush tok, I hate that I know this as a 41 year old man. I remember learning about this and being super horrified and fascinated with my kids dealing with this life as they age up. Shits so different now man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That all started with a sorority at Alabama. Referred to as Bama Rush tok, I hate that I know this as a 41 year old man. I remember learning about this and being super horrified and fascinated with my kids dealing with this life as they age up. Shits so different now man

speaking of, the moms at work are getting mums together for their daughters' homecoming games. lots of schools have implemented size constraints to stop the arms race. there are many sites out there will make them for you in the $300 range

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
tamu was a mistake

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Big Mean Jerk posted:

tamu was a mistake

:hmmyes:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

speaking of, the moms at work are getting mums together for their daughters' homecoming games. lots of schools have implemented size constraints to stop the arms race. there are many sites out there will make them for you in the $300 range

Mums were a mistake.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Mums were never a thing in LA so seeing kids with 20 lb flower arrangements just seems off the wall bonkers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

People in here forgetting about the texas sorority door video

Boom boom I wanna go a d pi

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What do you think Tim Riggins is up to these days

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lots of schools have implemented size constraints to stop the arms race. there are many sites out there will make them for you in the $300 range

This is bullshit I thought this was a free country!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dameius posted:

Mums were a mistake.

Mums are the purest form of Texas culture.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Mums are the purest form of Texas culture.

Thank you for strengthening my argument for me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tejas was a mistake

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

People in here forgetting about the texas sorority door video

Boom boom I wanna go a d pi

I remembered but I couldn't find the right keywords until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vs6-hUEwQ

Better this than the kind of hazing that kills people to create camaraderie for the survivors I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mums were out of control when I was in HS 25 years ago, can’t imagine what the state of them now is

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
mums were not a thing at all when I was in HS in inner-loop Houston ~20 years ago. I never heard of their existence until my mid 20s.

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 4, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mums were really big in Arlington, 25 years ago. I paid the girl I had a crush on to make a mum for the girl that asked me to homecoming because she had a crush on me.

I'm not sure where I was going with that story. But the mum was pretty large. As was the style at the time.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Bunch of old men posting in this thread smdh *pulls down shade over calendar showing 40th birthday coming next year*

I went to high school out in Katy and gigantic mums were absolutely everywhere then.

Also all the sorority stuff makes me so glad I went to a school without them. Our Harry Potter houses were much more relaxed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The arms race was alive and well up in The Woodlands in 2004. It wasn't just the size of the mum or how many flowers but the poo poo attached as well. Huge gently caress off carnival sized teddy bears weighing these poor girls down in an ever increasing show of wealth. I saw an iPod box attached once

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did yall do senior overalls too or was that just a BCS thing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I was rural enough to see them but only a minority participated

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My dfw school did that too

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

My school had them but it was definitely just a subset of people and not everyone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I believe it was originally an aggie thing so our participation rate was robust

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I saw them in HISD, but not universal, and mums were also a thing but much less so. Basically the people destined for greek life were the ones doing both.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My one regret about leaving teaching is that I did it before I saw a mum that had to be carried in a wheelbarrow. Because it's gonna happen.

The only homecoming I participated in when I was in high school was in 1996 and the mum I got for my date was at most 7-8 inches across and maybe 16-18 inches long. About the size of guys' HC corsages in the school I taught at until recently. The largest mums are built with over-both-shoulders harnesses that I swear are modeled after marching band percussion rigs because trying to pin them to a shirt would destroy the shirt, and a simple neck loop would dig into flesh.

They're absurd in a way that only teenagers can really go HAM on and to be honest I kinda love it. Adults are too cynical to go that hard on something so silly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Well I believe it was originally an aggie thing so our participation rate was robust

yeah rural wilco was definitely in the UT-A&M transition zone. my three uncles all went there and they grew up in San Antonio

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

its not often that I as a Permian grad am impressed by high school weirdness but well done

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did y'all do powderpuff football? I bet that tradition died really hard recently.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was just one game where the football players were cheerleading but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Even in Colorado we did a powderpuff game. One girl broke her ankle.