Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
One failed acquisition to mention is QLogic, the only competitor to Mellanox at the time. That also did not last long. I think they could not keep up with the Mellanox bandwidths. There were some integrations of the fabric on Xeons (and Xeon Phis?), but those were too buggy to use for quite a while.

The Brian era was also one where Intel was seen as capped out. Gov & Enterprise (aka on-premise) was dropping off a cliff, Client was starting its downward trend and Datacenter was the only thing growing Intel's business. Analysts were looking at Intel's ~98% market share in datacenter and wondering if they should invest in NVIDIA instead as that at least had growth potential.

Acquiring companies seemed to be one part finance engineering and another part trying to grow the total addressable market by throwing cash at it: interconnects, server enclosures, fpga, storage x2, AI x2, IoT (remember their x86 arduino), realsense, ...
Not to mention crap like McKafee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

They also brought the Cray interconnects around when they bought the QLogic Infiniband biz (not all of QLogic.) QLogic IB eventually became Omnipath.

They had 200G OPA ready to launch around when 200G HDR was available but Intel cancelled the product line in anticipation of an Ethernet future that never arrived.

The on socket OPA was underwhelming; it just hung off of regular pcie lanes and now you had to figure out how to get that from the socket to the cable in the back and if your NIC died you lost the expensive CPU.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

how can anyone forget DRONES! and Intel Sports???

quarterpounder
Nov 25, 2003
Don’t forgot the director of creative innovation, Will.I.Am!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

how can anyone forget DRONES! and Intel Sports???

I seem to recall intel bought a company that was in the same area I was working (across the street) who were doing sports wearables and then a short time later shut it all down. It was a really small startup like 20-30 people max. This was early in the 00s, like 03-04 maybe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel bought Basis for wearables and made very little effort to actual promote them or do anything with them other than burn people’s skin

Someone asked BK in a company meeting if they thought of giving one to everyone in the company so employees could talk them up to their family and friends because otherwise at the time why would anyone buy a wearable other than Fitbit. BK just said if you want one buy it yourself (with a 15% discount off retail at the employee page)

Which reminds me, BK/Intel did some “we need all employees to really shill how great our products and company is to friends and family” campaign but didn’t give out any extra special discounts or swag to make that happen. Like, they just wanted employees to bring it up organically when talking at dinner or whatever

Oh and they also worked with 50 cent on some smart headphones that no one bought

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 4, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Intel bought Basis for wearables and made very little effort to actual promote them or integrate them or learn from them

Someone asked BK in a company meeting if they thought of giving one to everyone in the company so employees could talk them up to their family and friends because otherwise at the time why would anyone buy a wearable other than Fitbit. BK just said if you want one buy it yourself (with a 15% discount off retail at the employee page)

Which reminds me, BK/Intel did some “we need all employees to really shill how great our products and company is to friends and family” campaign but didn’t give out any extra special discounts or swag to make that happen. Like, they just wanted employees to bring it up organically when talking at dinner or whatever

Oh and they also worked with 50 cent on some smart headphones that no one bought

I would’ve thought that Intel of all companies would love dogfooding.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of expect around now that somebody at marketing in Intel is trying to make a deal for Grumpy Cat, who has been dead for 3-4 years, and they will drag the carcass out for some commercials and stuff. It's about the right delay between popularity and Intel jumping on board with it.

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess they're treating part of the dogfooding process as having to make the decision to buy the thing (and then deciding not to buy it).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

The disconnect between the poo poo they crammed into AMT and advertised vs. what their poo poo tier IT actually used was stark. Same with the “hey companies refresh your fleet look how productive your employees will be…no please don’t ask why our employees are on 4+ year refresh cycles”

The core product was CPUs and they used to be really good at that with discounts and free samples (until SKL at least where PMs all of a sudden got lazy or scared to ask for any for the team).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I kind of expect around now that somebody at marketing in Intel is trying to make a deal for Grumpy Cat, who has been dead for 3-4 years, and they will drag the carcass out for some commercials and stuff. It's about the right delay between popularity and Intel jumping on board with it.

I guess they're treating part of the dogfooding process as having to make the decision to buy the thing (and then deciding not to buy it).

Grumpy HoloCat, powered by Intel Arc (of the Covenant)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Grumpy HoloCat, powered by Intel Arc (of the Covenant)

First generation actor resurrection tech: Holographic Tupac
Second generation: Deepfake Tarkin
Third generation: Grumpy Cat

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kazinsal posted:

First generation actor resurrection tech: Holographic Tupac
Second generation: Deepfake Tarkin
Third generation: Grumpy Cat

Fourth generation: ChatGPT Gordon Moore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1711447163916738580?t=JQtP7NsMj9x5JIl-h4Le4g&s=19

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Since this is just a refresh, i wouldn't expect too much huge to change vs the 13900K. Intel is claiming parity between the 14900K and 7950X3D:

quote:

DOTA 2: 77%
Fortnite: 82%
Cyberpunk 2077: 89%
League of Legends: 94%
Horizon Zero Dawn: 94%
Final Fantasy 14: 95%
Red Dead Redemption 2: 96%
Forza Horizon 5: 98%
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: 99%
Galaxy Breaker: 99%
Company of Heroes 3: 100%
Far Cry 6: 103%
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord: 103%
COD: MW2: 103%
GTA5: 105%
Hitman 3: 106%
Rainbow Six Siege: 107%
World of Tanks Encore RT: 108%
Serious Sam 4: 108%
Civilization 6: 109%
Counter Strike Global Offensive: 114%
Ashes of the Singularity: 115%
Total War Warhammer 3: 122%
Starfield: 123%
Metro Exodus: 123%
AVERAGE: 102%

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wtf is World of Tanks Encore RT

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I have never actually heard of anyone actually playing Ashes of the Singularity, I know zero about it positive or negative, but it shows up in every single dick-waving CPU benchmark because it's the only game that scales across all cores.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

likewise it ended up in every GPU benchmark suite for a while because it was one of the first games to properly support DX12 and lean on async compute

nobody has ever actually played it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

Since this is just a refresh, i wouldn't expect too much huge to change vs the 13900K. Intel is claiming parity between the 14900K and 7950X3D:

no raptor lake-n parts, huh? those alder lane-n parts might be more limited than i originally thought. guess I'd better grab that n305 box once they all magically restock after prime day.

Also, which part is the baseline, and which part is relative scaling in those percentages?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 10, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cygni posted:

I'm sure that means they'll be comparable in price then right?

Right?
E:
Then which SKU will have parity with the 7800x3d?
:v:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 11, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

no raptor lake-n parts, huh? those alder lane-n parts might be more limited than i originally thought. guess I'd better grab that n305 box once they all magically restock after prime day.

Raptor Lake and Alder Lake use the same e-core design as the N series parts, Gracemont, so there really isn't a "Raptor Lake N". Crestmont is the next design, coming out with Meteor Lake end of this year or early next. So any N series update is probably a ways away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alder lake-n should be around for a while, it’s trying to be pushed into long life embedded stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Raptor Lake Refresh launches tomorrow. Same socket, same motherboards as 13th gen, because its basically the same.

Only the 14700K is really any different in core config, getting 4 more e-cores and associated cache. A few small changes in boosting maxes. Haven't heard confirmation on whether DLVR is on or not, probably will find out tomorrow.

Current prices:

Prices are the same as 13th gen. So I guess you might as well get the new ones if you are building in the next few months, assuming the 13th parts don't get discounts... which they probably will.

Sometime around summer/fall next year, AMD will launch Zen 5 and intel will launch Arrow Lake/LGA 1851, which will both represent their respective companies "big swings". But things are pretty much status quo on desktop until then, with only an AMD APU launch expected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Sometime around summer/fall next year, AMD will launch Zen 5 and intel will launch Arrow Lake/LGA 1851, which will both represent their respective companies "big swings". But things are pretty much status quo on desktop until then, with only an AMD APU launch expected.

A-ha! That's when the GPUs will get cheaper too and I'll finally be able to retire my Ivy Bridge/GTX1070 machine!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
There are some decent 200bux GPUs from Intel and AMD on the market right now. I did not regret picking up that Arc750 as a stop-gap when I stepped from Ivy Bridge to Raptor Lake.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I see the power consumption continues to be woefully excessive

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I see the power consumption continues to be woefully excessive

It's better on the non-K parts, the Intel -K parts are just fully overclocked out the rear end from the factory now.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Intel: Max Turbo Power (W): Yes.

About what I expected.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Intel: Max Turbo Power (W): Yes.

Run your desktop and dryer from the same outlet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so there's no 14th gen i3?

and no i5-14400 either?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

gradenko_2000 posted:

and no i5-14400 either?

yields too good?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

and no i5-14400 either?

There might be eventually, normally those parts launch later anyway. Intel has led with -K parts for a while now.

There also might never be those parts, because this is a tiny update and the meat of the client market is in laptops, which are getting a full update on a new, smaller process and ditching the Core i5, i7 branding completely: https://www.anandtech.com/show/20046/intel-unveils-meteor-lake-architecture-intel-4-heralds-the-disaggregated-future-of-mobile-cpus

This batch of desktop chips might be the last CPUs to get branded Core i7 ever.

Edit: Videocardz is not a great source but apparently we do get a full desktop lineup: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-accidentally-confirms-entire-14th-gen-core-desktop-cpu-lineup-before-launch

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 17, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What in the world

https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-make-arm-based-pc-chips-major-new-challenge-intel-2023-10-23/

So will AMD have both Arm and x86 based CPUs? Won't this cannibalize from their x86 line? Plus they'd presumably have to pay Arm royalties?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

What in the world

https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-make-arm-based-pc-chips-major-new-challenge-intel-2023-10-23/

So will AMD have both Arm and x86 based CPUs? Won't this cannibalize from their x86 line? Plus they'd presumably have to pay Arm royalties?

Time to party like it’s 2002

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lol "Intel still holds an ARM architectural license", it'd be funny if Intel is all "hay guys what's up" and launches compatible processors too and can undercut nvidia and amd.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

one of them should do a hosed up architecture with both an ARM frontend for efficiency and an x86 frontend for software compatibility

they have licenses for both ISAs, the cops can't stop them

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

priznat posted:

What in the world

AMD already did this already: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9956/the-silver-lining-of-the-late-amd-opteron-a1100-arrival

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7990/amd-announces-k12-core-custom-64bit-arm-design-in-2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Everything old is new again! I guess the main interesting thing is NVidia getting in on it, which isn't surprising they have been dipping toes and more into full on CPUs for a while now especially with the attempted buyout of Arm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia went from designing their own ARM cores to just copy pasting the reference designs, its time for them to wrap around to custom cores again

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

priznat posted:

What in the world

I mean, K12 was definitely a going concern for a while. It wouldn’t surprise me if AMD sees the way the wind is blowing and wants in on that ARM money, royalties to ARM be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

one of them should do a hosed up architecture with both an ARM frontend for efficiency and an x86 frontend for software compatibility

they have licenses for both ISAs, the cops can't stop them

I wonder which x86 cores could be implemented on an MPSoC…