Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Come And See posted:

I'm a huge fan of horror movies and that genre is full of problematic poo poo. It's can also be very progressive and platform the fears and concerns of minority voices. There's a lot of great stuff if you know where to look, and a lot of skeevy junk that must be acknowledged and worked through to get past. So I know what it's like to enjoy a genre with a low batting average.

But that's not to say the two are the same. With horror you usually know what you're getting into; any exploitive elements are usually advertised front row and centre. With horror, the number of times I've been surprised and filled with regret and anger is very few. But with anime it feels like every goddamn time (Baki S4 being the most recent culprit).

People here were sharing an honest conversation about their lived experiences and valid feelings of shock and betrayal, before idiots with disqualifying avatars started calling everyone racist (despite Japan hating otaku culture just as much).
It's completely safe, sane, and reasonable to distrust commercial anime as a whole. If horror was filled with Victor Salvas or Megan Is Missings (the actual creepy poo poo that tries to sneak in) to the degree anime is infested, I'd be far less enthusiastic about the hobby. (And the suggestion that the anime industry effectively polices itself is loving laughable. :nms:)

Anime is trash until proven otherwise.

Just as american horror and marvel movies are trash until proven otherwise.

This is a perfectly functional policy to live by.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
feeling incredibly threatened that someone posted accurate information about the anime industry vs. the lived experience of the guy who thinks 4chan shinzo abe memes are official government policy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Vinland Saga is legit one of my favorite historical fictions. Yukimura is a big ol' nerd who works very hard to be authentic and considerate: A chapter was delayed recently because the woman he was working with to properly portray the Mi'kmaq people and language took time off to get married. He wasn't doing it without her. :3:

There are also little author's notes about how much he admires and is blown away by the strength of women who had to live through medieval war. He laments that it's a man's game that women and children were made to suffer. Just comes across as a really gentle and sensitive fellow for someone enthusiastically writing about friggin' Vikings.

You don't quite realize until the end of the first season that you're not watching a cool revenge story about a duel-weilding badass, you're watching the absolute worst years of Thorfinn's life.

I could gush about it all drat day.

Vinland Saga is one of the most Christian works of fiction I have ever read, and I mean that both as a compliment and in the sense that it adheres to the core teachings of Christ. I say this as an Atheist who was raised in a hypocritical Christian environment, so I'm by no means inclined to cut any slack in that regard.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Come And See posted:

I'm a huge fan of horror movies and that genre is full of problematic poo poo. It's can also be very progressive and platform the fears and concerns of minority voices. There's a lot of great stuff if you know where to look, and a lot of skeevy junk that must be acknowledged and worked through to get past. So I know what it's like to enjoy a genre with a low batting average.

But that's not to say the two are the same. With horror you usually know what you're getting into; any exploitive elements are usually advertised front row and centre. With horror, the number of times I've been surprised and filled with regret and anger is very few. But with anime it feels like every goddamn time (Baki S4 being the most recent culprit).

People here were sharing an honest conversation about their lived experiences and valid feelings of shock and betrayal, before idiots with disqualifying avatars started calling everyone racist (despite Japan hating otaku culture just as much).
It's completely safe, sane, and reasonable to distrust commercial anime as a whole. If horror was filled with Victor Salvas or Megan Is Missings (the actual creepy poo poo that tries to sneak in) to the degree anime is infested, I'd be far less enthusiastic about the hobby. (And the suggestion that the anime industry effectively polices itself is loving laughable. :nms:)

Anime is trash until proven otherwise.

Just as american horror and marvel movies are trash until proven otherwise.

This is a perfectly functional policy to live by.

[while watching hostel 2] thank god this isnt anime

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Booky posted:

look its fine to point out grody stuff in shows but it loving sucks to see people smugly implying all anime (except for Your Faves™) is for sexist pedos and all of japan is terrible and evil for it like some self hating anime fan instead of just going "yeah that poo poo sucks", cause every genre and medium has some bad stuff in it
you don't gotta be Racist and cede all perceptions of japan to bad tv shows or right wing freaks who love saying japan is filled with bigots like them, especially because i never see people do this kind of generalization about western shows

also g gundam absolutely has politics that aren't punch?? like punching is a big part of it but, its also very environmentalist and anti war by showing a world on the brink of collapse and questioning whether making war into an olympics is a good thing

Everything in bold you made up with a little false equivalency sprinkled on top.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Come And See posted:

Everything in bold you made up with a little false equivalency sprinkled on top.

nah but good job on trying to deflect your and others racist poo poo

hell thats why i even quoted two posts originally but hey looks like you can't read either huh

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

i think there may be other things that deal with female puberty

I wouldn't know. That's just the rationale she used.

I also can't come up with another example since as a man I don't look for that kind of media, or feel a connection with it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Endorph posted:

Anyway, watch Kino's Journey (2003) and Haibane Renmei, folx.

:hai:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Anime for Adults: Basically, it’s animation

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

i am a moron posted:

Anime for Adults: Basically, it’s animation

Anime for Adults: We need to meet our breeding quotas.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh hey a bunch of people who have never posted in this thread before show up to defend... anime? Why? This isn't the anime board, it's fine to hate anime here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

More pertinently, there's a (maybe only) half decent site out there, The Anime Feminist, that might help you filter out content when you're looking for something to watch.

Endorph posted:

Anime Feminist are incredibly misinformed and do stuff like accuse any series that features lesbians of 'pandering to the male gaze' (even when there's nothing sexual in it), or making completely misaimed statements about what demographics a series is aimed at. They aren't at all worth paying attention to or using as a barometer for this stuff.
None of your complaints actually matter with respect to the basic point that Open Source Idiom was making - that The Anime Feminist is a site that covers a lot of anime and will actually talk about whether an anime has gross stuff in it. It's not like ANN or MAL are going to cover that.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So a fun detail I noticed during the ending to Fionna and Cake is that during the ending montage You can see Astrid (The F&C superfan girl) scribbling down doodles of Caspar and Nova in her ntoebook while Simon gives a tour at the museum, which implies she'll go on to write the holobook that gives Simon his personal revelation.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i don't have enough knowledge to say if The Anime Feminist's posts are Wrong About Anime, but some of their columns were illuminating. I certainly didn't know i.e. there was active societal repression against suspected Otakus in the 90s cuz of a serial killer.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Assepoester posted:

Oh hey a bunch of people who have never posted in this thread before show up to defend... anime? Why? This isn't the anime board, it's fine to hate anime here.

wow the youtube spammers trying to take a moral high ground over the Dread people who like anime, shocking stuff right here folks

i don't give a poo poo if someone dislikes anime just cause it hasn't clicked with them hell i barely watch it or western cartoons myself, but my problem is when people wrap up their dislike for a genre in insane poo poo you'd never hear about anything american, like imagine how loving stupid you'd have to be to say "oh man riverdale, rick and morty, hazbin hotel, and family guy have so much problematic content...... it really shows how twisted the american sexual psyche is, how everything there is trash"

but for Some Reason, americans never get this kind of poo poo but asians do
wonder why! :thunk:

also i kinda wanna watch fionna and cake but i feel like i'd need to watch the rest of AT and its been so long since i stopped that i might as well rewatch the whole thing but now its like... man thats a lot to catch up on

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Show me all the animation, drat it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kiminewt posted:

What about some anime written by women

Full metal Alchemist
Silver Spoon
Baby Steps

Though of course when something sexist eventually occurs because you can feel the will of the author getting crushed by the editor or just by society.
those arent anime written by women, those are anime that are adapting manga made by women. the writers and directors of those anime are men. they're fairly straight adaptations (well fma: brotherhood is, not fma 2003) but still, there's a distinction. if you want female directed anime id recommend sayo yamamoto (yuri on ice, woman called fujiko mine, michiko and hatchin) and rie matsumoto (kyousougiga, blood blockade battlefront)

Assepoester posted:

None of your complaints actually matter with respect to the basic point that Open Source Idiom was making - that The Anime Feminist is a site that covers a lot of anime and will actually talk about whether an anime has gross stuff in it. It's not like ANN or MAL are going to cover that.
anime feminist will often give completely random stuff a pass and then complain about the same thing in other shows, tho. its useless for even that purpose

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i dont really care about anyones opinions i just like posting info when i think its funny or interesting or might help someone watch something they like.

speaking of info the funniest part of this convo is shield hero being mentioned multiple times and shield hero being funded by crunchyroll, an american company, because the original novels were popular in, america. the first ep premiered at crunchyroll expo in san jose. the bluray sales and tv ratings in japan were incredibly poor. shield hero exists for an american audience, not a japanese one.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Show me all the animation, drat it.

watch All Saints Street/Wan Sheng Jie, OP :cheers:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Booky posted:

also i kinda wanna watch fionna and cake but i feel like i'd need to watch the rest of AT and its been so long since i stopped that i might as well rewatch the whole thing but now its like... man thats a lot to catch up on

It really flies by. You can also stick to essential episode lists, I did when I started my rewatch but then I ended up watching nearly everything else I’d skipped anyway cause I wanted more.
https://gist.github.com/CharlieScarver/ef5d6f43a7c3b63ec1cc4dbce66f5579

I also followed this pattern for Steven Universe which was a good approach.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Turpitude posted:

The Orville is also really good

I've seen The Orville.

I know what I said.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Good news for ME!

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/my-adventures-with-superman-adult-swim-ratings-hit/

I think I mentioned S2 is either nearly or entirely in the can. Further seasons are getting pitched and I'm supposed to be hearing this week if they get greenlit. Which means I'll have regular work again!

I'm usually pretty good about living on savings, but I had to move earlier this year and I'm about to have surgery (Technology can fix my lovely eyes now!), so I'm really glad to hear MAWS was successful in the boardroom numbers sense.

Oh that's great! My wife and I love My Adventures with Superman, so glad it's getting another season! You do great work, the show looks beautiful

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Booky posted:

wow the youtube spammers trying to take a moral high ground over the Dread people who like anime, shocking stuff right here folks

i don't give a poo poo if someone dislikes anime just cause it hasn't clicked with them hell i barely watch it or western cartoons myself, but my problem is when people wrap up their dislike for a genre in insane poo poo you'd never hear about anything american, like imagine how loving stupid you'd have to be to say "oh man riverdale, rick and morty, hazbin hotel, and family guy have so much problematic content...... it really shows how twisted the american sexual psyche is, how everything there is trash"

but for Some Reason, americans never get this kind of poo poo but asians do
wonder why! :thunk:

You clearly give a poo poo since you bothered to post here whereas you never bothered to post here before. But since you're here now, might as well join the currently ongoing conversation about Adventure Time / Fiona and Cake and such.

And I guarantee you american cartoons get all kinds of negative stereotypes, some of them very deserved. Here, have some youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ducpLB11AQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5OmMD3oQR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEsiYI_W9CE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Cal Arts? More like Kal Farts!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Assepoester posted:

You clearly give a poo poo since you bothered to post here whereas you never bothered to post here before. But since you're here now, might as well join the currently ongoing conversation about Adventure Time / Fiona and Cake and such.

And I guarantee you american cartoons get all kinds of negative stereotypes, some of them very deserved. Here, have some youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ducpLB11AQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5OmMD3oQR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEsiYI_W9CE

That second video has Bojack on the title card and never mentions it, nor brings it up as an obvious counterpoint to their whole doomerism thesis.

It's a bad video. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
assepoester/the united states exclusively machine-guns youtube links, I don’t think they actually watch most of them before posting

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
In conclusion, anime is a land of contrasts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how on earth was I disqualified from talking on this subject btw, my avatar is from Nancy comics and I have posted here all the time

posting an “it’s never racist to hate anime” meme in the middle of a lengthy discussion on detangling assumptions about the medium is just flat out loser behavior

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Assepoester posted:

i am not watching any of those videos, youtube link spammer
frankly its also pretty funny i spelled out how discussion about anime gets tied into racist assumptions about a whole other country for crappy tv shows and your response is about how cartoons have negative stereotypes too!!! i don't loving see people saying america is a nation of pedophiles for rick and morty

also i've lurked this thread for ages you dweeb

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t care about either side of this discussion, if you are talking about anime on the internet please don’t assume the high ground and start calling each other stuff like dork and nerd.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

meanwhile back in the real world

https://twitter.com/onepieceanime/status/1709592968091287801?s=46&t=GCQpzpDFMiY7sUluhWOi7w

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Very troubling to see anime piracy so celebrated.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Looks better than the Goku float

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Goku float looks like all those bad frames from Super and makes me laugh.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

finally luffys made it to the prestigious thanksgiving day parade.... 💪

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KingKalamari posted:

So a fun detail I noticed during the ending to Fionna and Cake is that during the ending montage You can see Astrid (The F&C superfan girl) scribbling down doodles of Caspar and Nova in her ntoebook while Simon gives a tour at the museum, which implies she'll go on to write the holobook that gives Simon his personal revelation.

Oh you know, I just never made the connection!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ccs posted:

It really flies by. You can also stick to essential episode lists, I did when I started my rewatch but then I ended up watching nearly everything else I’d skipped anyway cause I wanted more.
https://gist.github.com/CharlieScarver/ef5d6f43a7c3b63ec1cc4dbce66f5579

I also followed this pattern for Steven Universe which was a good approach.

oo thats cool!!

if i do ever decide to just go for it i might just rewatch the whole thing... i hope its still up on the cn app tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On to season 3 of Adventure Time and in retrospect the young PB arc barely exists. It is definitely one of those things that felt longer when it originally aired.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

On to season 3 of Adventure Time and in retrospect the young PB arc barely exists. It is definitely one of those things that felt longer when it originally aired.

To be fair Lemongrab made it a fairly memorable one. Also congrats to Jinkx Monsoon are in order.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve been seeing Lemongrab memes for years and had to just scroll by them in bafflement until now

E: it’s not like I understand them any better, but at least i get them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Data Graham posted:

I’ve been seeing Lemongrab memes for years and had to just scroll by them in bafflement until now

E: it’s not like I understand them any better, but at least i get them

He sounded a lot different from what I was expecting from all the memes (just like Morty with a higher pitch sometimes)