Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Speaking of gene fuckery, is Genefather any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/04/unravel-peter-fehervaris-dark-coil-series-in-a-special-edition-box-set/

Today's BL news is a collection of one of the threads favourite series, namely Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil.

Oh poo poo, now's my time to get entwined. When and how does BL usually let us know these releases are available to preorder? I've never preorderd a BL book set before but this is a really convenient way of getting all the DC books at once.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Speaking of gene fuckery, is Genefather any good?

It’s not out yet, only up for pre-order. Comes out on the 14th.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

D-Pad posted:

The genetics do matter for both primarchs and the emperor, they just aren't the biggest part of their power. It's probably like 70/30 or 60/40 soul juice/genetics.

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is narratively sentient; The very fact it's being done by the DEldar, no matter how advanced their tech was, would make it fail, because it wouldn't be narratively satisfying for them to succeed. Whereas Fabius at the climax of some elaborate ritual would, just because it's right he would do.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Shockeh posted:

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is narratively sentient; The very fact it's being done by the DEldar, no matter how advanced their tech was, would make it fail, because it wouldn't be narratively satisfying for them to succeed. Whereas Fabius at the climax of some elaborate ritual would, just because it's right he would do.

And this is why the Harlequins and Orks are the only xenos factions I can actually take seriously

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Darktide is on gamepass now, I only played the prologue so far but dang, this really looks 40k as all hell. Makes me hunger for the inquisitor first person rpg of my dreams.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Darktide is on gamepass now, I only played the prologue so far but dang, this really looks 40k as all hell. Makes me hunger for the inquisitor first person rpg of my dreams.

It's also gotten much better with QoL improvements so if you haven't played in a while now is a good time. The new skill trees own.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

AndyElusive posted:

Oh poo poo, now's my time to get entwined. When and how does BL usually let us know these releases are available to preorder? I've never preorderd a BL book set before but this is a really convenient way of getting all the DC books at once.

Sunday the week before pre-orders go live on saturday.

As for when they might go up?
v:v:v

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Biplane posted:

Not first person, but if you're after a 40k rpg fix then Rogue Trader is potentially shaping up to be extremely promising.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man the dark city was really a banging book. Wraight is awesome

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Thanks for the heads up. From my cursory Googling it sounds like yeah, Saturday at 10am local time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's also gotten much better with QoL improvements so if you haven't played in a while now is a good time. The new skill trees own.

Darktide's core gameplay is really good. You spend 20-30 minutes on a mission dealing out breathtaking amounts of violence on a constant swarm of hordes and special enemies. If you have Gamepass, do not sleep on this game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cooked Auto posted:

So wait, are the announcements always the sunday before the pre-order saturday or a sunday before a pre-order saturday? Or is the "when they might go up" shrug in regards to whether they drop them at 9:55 or exactly at 10?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sunday announcements for releases the following Saturday. They always load them on the store 5 minutes before the official time. If you wait until the official time they will be out of stock.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Sunday announcements for releases the following Saturday. They always load them on the store 5 minutes before the official time. If you wait until the official time they will be out of stock.

Good to know.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All the Wraight love without Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion being mentioned.

So, yeah, read it. It's easily my favorite 40k book. Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Grey Knights. It takes place on Terra just before Cadia falls, during Cadia's fall, and after Cadia's fall. It's probably one of the most pivotal novels written so far since the last two End and the Death's haven't been released yet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Philthy posted:

All the Wraight love without Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion being mentioned.

So, yeah, read it. It's easily my favorite 40k book. Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Grey Knights. It takes place on Terra just before Cadia falls, during Cadia's fall, and after Cadia's fall. It's probably one of the most pivotal novels written so far since the last two End and the Death's haven't been released yet.

Fine, I like to watch
Next audible credit going to that, I guess

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

So wait, are the announcements always the sunday before the pre-order saturday or a sunday before a pre-order saturday? Or is the "when they might go up" shrug in regards to whether they drop them at 9:55 or exactly at 10?

Was referring to the date when they go up in that case. Probably should've been more specific in that case.

Even if I can never remember the specific time of day they go up. But in this case I was more alluding to the release date.

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I could be wrong but my reading of it is that the Dark Eldar were going to/might use their resurrection technology instead of cloning technology on the Emperor. So instead of cloning the Emperor to get a meat puppet they were going to drag his soul from the Golden Throne on Terra and put it in their cloned body in the pits of Commorragh, as this was how the Haemonculi that was killed on Terra was able to resurrect and be at the end of the negotiations.

Thats how i understood it, almost like a kidnapping.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah primarchs have been cloned but the most succesful one also had a soul stolen from an alternate universe iirc. Just cloning the Emperor would be useless since it's the soul not the flesh that makes him Him. Like even during the Heresy he's essentially just a soul that can take human form

Woah what universe is this all from

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cooked Auto posted:

Was referring to the date when they go up in that case. Probably should've been more specific in that case.

Even if I can never remember the specific time of day they go up. But in this case I was more alluding to the release date.

Got it. Feels like preparing for a marathon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I finished The King Of The Spoil last night and I'm...pretty lukewarm on it. Definitely not as cyberpunk as I was hoping given the character summary, but also the ending was just kind of there. Oh, you called in tanks to kill the rebels. Cool then I guess?

Also it seemed like the big bad guy was Tzeentchian which seems like a missed opportunity given they've already laid the seeds for a Genestealer Cult so heavily? Maybe I'm taking some of the final paragraphs too literally.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I finished The King Of The Spoil last night and I'm...pretty lukewarm on it. Definitely not as cyberpunk as I was hoping given the character summary, but also the ending was just kind of there. Oh, you called in tanks to kill the rebels. Cool then I guess?

Also it seemed like the big bad guy was Tzeentchian which seems like a missed opportunity given they've already laid the seeds for a Genestealer Cult so heavily? Maybe I'm taking some of the final paragraphs too literally.

I liked a lot of King of the Spoil - but it was really unsatisfying. Trying to set up whatever the next story is really undermined the book as a self-contained narrative.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The Dark Coil books are going up tomorrow? I forget what time they ususally drop.....what is it like 11AM EST or something?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

The Dark Coil books are going up tomorrow? I forget what time they ususally drop.....what is it like 11AM EST or something?

No that was just an announcement of a future release. Tomorrow is Realmslayer hardback and the new crime anthology.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is the november release of The End and the Death volume 2 just the physical release, or is there an e-book release as well, anyone know?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Is the november release of The End and the Death volume 2 just the physical release, or is there an e-book release as well, anyone know?

It'll be ebook, hardcover, and LE all together based on how they have done all the SoTs recently.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

It'll be ebook, hardcover, and LE all together based on how they have done all the SoTs recently.

Awesome

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Goddamnit I was looking forward to sitting down and diving into Genefather tonight and I look and it was a two week pre-order instead of the typical one and doesn't come out until next weekend.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I don't mind Guy Haley but I'm a little nervous that his Bile won't live up to Reynolds'

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

von Metternich posted:

I don't mind Guy Haley but I'm a little nervous that his Bile won't live up to Reynolds'

I'm worried about that as well, it would be a shame if the book is bad because the premise sounds hilarious.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’ve re-read Penitent again and I with the End and the Death for context I have a new dumb pet theory. Spoilers for both books.

Valdor has a bunch of Blood Angel clones with wings, possibly even clones of sanguinius himself since he has a whole statue hall of statues of him and the space probably connects directly to the imperial palace since it’s lousy with custodes and even has their ships.

The question is what the space is for and I have a theory: I think it’s a prison of sorts for soul of either Horus or Sanguinius. I think the big reveal is going to be that Sanguinius kills Horus either by going deep into the black rage or Horus does it to him or possesses him as a final act. I think the myth that the Emperor shed the last bit of his humanity to destroy his favourite son is going to be twisted so that he does it to Sanguinius.

I think that the Dark King is still in play and that if either Horus/Sanguinius or the Emperor fully dies, the other automatically ascends, destroying humanity in the process and that Valdors big project is a Throne analogue to permanently contain the opposite aspect to the Emperor.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Wait, the guy who wrote Fire Caste wrote other books and they are somewhat connected?

Neat. I thought I was the only one who liked/had read Fire Caste.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jadebullet posted:

Wait, the guy who wrote Fire Caste wrote other books and they are somewhat connected?

And they're all very good

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I’ve re-read Penitent again and I with the End and the Death for context I have a new dumb pet theory. Spoilers for both books.

Valdor has a bunch of Blood Angel clones with wings, possibly even clones of sanguinius himself since he has a whole statue hall of statues of him and the space probably connects directly to the imperial palace since it’s lousy with custodes and even has their ships.

The question is what the space is for and I have a theory: I think it’s a prison of sorts for soul of either Horus or Sanguinius. I think the big reveal is going to be that Sanguinius kills Horus either by going deep into the black rage or Horus does it to him or possesses him as a final act. I think the myth that the Emperor shed the last bit of his humanity to destroy his favourite son is going to be twisted so that he does it to Sanguinius.

I think that the Dark King is still in play and that if either Horus/Sanguinius or the Emperor fully dies, the other automatically ascends, destroying humanity in the process and that Valdors big project is a Throne analogue to permanently contain the opposite aspect to the Emperor.

Penitent & EatD spoilers

I also skimmed Penitent recently and the King in Yellow (Valdor or Logar?) has got a little pocket dimension in the warp going carved out with Enuncia. He's got legions upon legions of souped up blood angels who do nothing but battle chaos directly in an apocalyptic battle. Bequins blankness cancels out the Thirst and the Rage so I have a feeling the blank program is to generate blanks strong enough to control rage'd out space marines and use Enuncia like legos. There's something like a Legion of blood angels, fighting directly into a hole between the warp and reality a-la the webway portal using the thirst to beat back the darkness and the blank program exists to control and command the blood angels while having them use Enuncia to construct Pandemonium. I wonder if Pandemonium is the former City of Light or whatever alien city existed as the first hub of humanity in the webway prior to humanity being pushed back all the way to their warp gate.

quote:

The angel coughed, and spat out black clots. ‘You take it away,’ it said. Its tone was flat, no more than a whisper. ‘What do I take away?’ ‘The Thirst. The Rage and the Thirst.’ ‘Are you Astartes, a Blood Angel?’ I asked. The angel hesitated, as though it didn’t know how to answer, or did not understand the words.

Maybe they're trying to juice or help big E by protecting the gate from the other side of the throne?

quote:

You know your name,’ I said. ‘And you know about nulls.’ ‘Yes,’ he admitted. ‘But it is all a fog. There was a war. No beginning or end. I was wrought in it and for it, my rage bred to be turned upon the foe. A calamitous thing. The end of all things. I wore red.’ ‘Who fought?’ ‘I did.’ ‘But for what cause, and against–’ ‘I do not know, null. Just a blur of red. Of flame. Of death. My enemy was whatever I saw. Thus I was commanded.’

The Angels may not serve entirely voluntairly, he can recognize Enuncia. Perhaps if an Angel is lost to the rage they stick him in the basement/webway which connects to the real world as a sort of gatekeeper?

quote:

‘Can you read the text?’ I asked. ‘The main body of the book?’ He turned some of the leaves slowly. ‘No,’ he said, after a moment’s consideration. ‘But I know the script,’ he added. ‘Not to read, or comprehend, but I recognise the marks. When I was chained, in the dark place under the world, this was the script used there.’ ‘Used? Used how?’ ‘I remember little,’ said the angel, ‘but I know these marks. They were used to make the hexes which bound us and made us serve. A language of command. I’m sorry, I know no more than that, and I cannot tell you what the words say.’ He passed the book back to me.

The King in Yellow is pretty close to realizing whatever his goal is. He's got a library of Enuncia and he's starting to cut loose ends

quote:

promised. He comes close to fruition. The City of Dust is built, and his hosts assembled. The hour of his triumph is upon us. The universe that you know, and that I know, is about to change forever. But he has reneged. He keeps all power to himself, all authority and command, all secrets and instruments of transmutation, all reins and harnesses of Pandaemonium. He shuts us out. We are of little further use.’

re:

jadebullet posted:

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 8, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Penitent & EatD spoilers

I also skimmed Penitent recently and the King in Yellow (Valdor or Logar?) has got a little pocket dimension in the warp going carved out with Enuncia. He's got legions upon legions of souped up blood angels who do nothing but battle chaos directly in an apocalyptic battle. Bequins blankness cancels out the Thirst and the Rage so I have a feeling the blank program is to generate blanks strong enough to control rage'd out space marines and use Enuncia like legos. There's something like a Legion of blood angels, fighting directly into a hole between the warp and reality a-la the webway portal using the thirst to beat back the darkness and the blank program exists to control and command the blood angels while having them use Enuncia to construct Pandemonium. I wonder if Pandemonium is the former City of Light or whatever alien city existed as the first hub of humanity in the webway prior to humanity being pushed back all the way to their warp gate.

Maybe they're trying to juice or help big E by protecting the gate from the other side of the throne?

The Angels may not serve entirely voluntairly, he can recognize Enuncia. Perhaps if an Angel is lost to the rage they stick him in the basement/webway which connects to the real world as a sort of gatekeeper?

The King in Yellow is pretty close to realizing whatever his goal is. He's got a library of Enuncia and he's starting to cut loose ends

re:

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

Yeah so my theory is:

Valdor really is the king in yellow, it's not a fake out. After emps is placed on the throne and pretty much everybody else moved on Valdor didn't because he is constitutionally incapable of doing so. He just decided his only option was to continue the emperor's plan and hope that one day either emps was resurrected or try to resurrect him.

So the city in Penitent is the emperor's plan 2.0. Emps wanted a city in the webway protected from the warp so Valdor built a city in the warp and created what was needed to protect it. He's got some plan to resurrect the emperor and pick up where they left off before the heresy. The question is whether he did this all on his own or if these were the emperor's final instructions. I think it would be more grimdark if Valdor did this all on his own and the end of Pandemonium is Eisenhorn and friends shutting this poo poo down and Valdor finding out somehow that the emperor doesn't want what he's done. There would be some real depths of despair to mine there.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've started listening to watchers of the throne and it's really good! Glad I picked it up so soon after reading vaults of terra, considering the immediate setting and the recurring background characters

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah so my theory is:

Valdor really is the king in yellow, it's not a fake out. After emps is placed on the throne and pretty much everybody else moved on Valdor didn't because he is constitutionally incapable of doing so. He just decided his only option was to continue the emperor's plan and hope that one day either emps was resurrected or try to resurrect him.

So the city in Penitent is the emperor's plan 2.0. Emps wanted a city in the webway protected from the warp so Valdor built a city in the warp and created what was needed to protect it. He's got some plan to resurrect the emperor and pick up where they left off before the heresy. The question is whether he did this all on his own or if these were the emperor's final instructions. I think it would be more grimdark if Valdor did this all on his own and the end of Pandemonium is Eisenhorn and friends shutting this poo poo down and Valdor finding out somehow that the emperor doesn't want what he's done. There would be some real depths of despair to mine there.

Oo nice

I also think whatever happens in Pandemonium, the end game caused the great Rift

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Improbable Lobster posted:

And they're all very good

I might have to pick up this collection. Has the price been released yet? (I just bought a house so my budget is currently tied up in contingency funds so that the wife and I can afford any inevitable repairs so I like to plan things ahead.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/08/sunday-preview-new-releases-abound-from-the-age-of-darkness

You want some books? Of course ya do!

So this one caught me by surprise. The first entry on our docket is actually Peter Fehervari’s The Dark Coil Collection. I honestly expected this in a couple of more weeks.

People are going to have to be on the ball for this one, because in true BL CE fashion it's limited to 1000 copies.

Following up on that we have the frankly monstrous looking The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath in Hardback, ebook and audiobook. Saw the author copies on Rath's twitter and it looks like a real chonker of a book, even outside the LE version.

Then there's the paperback version of Angron: The Red Angel by Guy Haley.

Coming in both paperback and ebook is Graham McNeill’s Forges of Mars. Which is an anthology of AdMech and adjacent stories.

Also, Parah Nexus episode 3 airs this week on Wednesday. Figured I'd let people know that, since I know some people watch it.

Lastly, GW is dropping a fun little surprise, in conjunction with Warhammer Day, namely the original Rogue Trader rules on Print on Demand.

quote:

this 288-page Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader book will be available on a Print on Demand basis until 8am BST on Monday the 23rd of October 2023 and will ship within 180 days of the ordering window closing.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 8, 2023