Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
About to get a game of Star Trek Ascendancy on the table, with 3 people. Any suggestions to minimize downtime, or any things to watch out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DropTheAnvil posted:

About to get a game of Star Trek Ascendancy on the table, with 3 people. Any suggestions to minimize downtime, or any things to watch out for?

You can play your first two turns simultaneously most of the time, and possibly third. Play as many as you can simultaneously, tbh. In a three player, you're almost certainly going to have klingons going for your base. Plan accordingly!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DropTheAnvil posted:

If someone's playing the Vulcans then they will probably win by surprise with new players since no one knows their hidden victory condition, and no one will know what their hidden victory conditions are "like" in general, and they're all focusing on their own poo poo because they're new.

Vulcans will have two agenda cards, one face-up and one face-down. They win if they achieve either (if I'm remembering right.)
I'd kind of recommend showing the new players a small sampling of what the agenda cards are "like" so they aren't completely in the dark about what can happen / what sorts of things the Vulcan player might be going for.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looking like I might finally have an opportunity to bust Rococo Deluxe out for its first spin this weekend, which I'm very excited about

Anyone know if I should just slam the mini expansion into the box?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
For the record I just meant that I spend most my time in the rules book trying to clarify things I swore I knew inside and out when doing a teach and in the interests of expediency usually end up taking whatever move feels good at that moment just to keep things moving while being laughed at by the other guys who figured things out a while ago for doing something OBIVOUSLY STUPID, DUMMY.

Contrast that with non-teaching games when my AP becomes a totally different and obnoxious beast.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Looking like I might finally have an opportunity to bust Rococo Deluxe out for its first spin this weekend, which I'm very excited about

Anyone know if I should just slam the mini expansion into the box?

hell yeah

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

The Eyes Have It posted:

If someone's playing the Vulcans then they will probably win by surprise with new players since no one knows their hidden victory condition, and no one will know what their hidden victory conditions are "like" in general, and they're all focusing on their own poo poo because they're new.

Vulcans will have two agenda cards, one face-up and one face-down. They win if they achieve either (if I'm remembering right.)
I'd kind of recommend showing the new players a small sampling of what the agenda cards are "like" so they aren't completely in the dark about what can happen / what sorts of things the Vulcan player might be going for.

We only managed to get through 1/2 of the game (Only had time for 3 hours) but I like-ish Star Trek Ascendancy. The tips really helped as everyone is either new or returning after having played the game a few years ago.

The thing I am going to takeaway from Ascendancy is the cool Map system. It's entertaining to watch as people figure out how to block lanes, or block planets to protect themselves and form chokepoints.
My only complaint would be the game length. Even though we are new, I think if we were experienced you would still have some downtime after your turn is done.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Got my first live play of Heat: Pedal to the Metal on bga yesterday. What a fun game, I loved how it played and how people were able to get into it. I wish it wasn't pretty much sold out everywhere so I could actually get a physical copy.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure exactly what it is about the rules formula of Heat but it's a rare instance of a game that I've had a couple different friend groups deliberately asking for more of. Most of the time they'll entertain a learning game of something and enjoy it but ultimately be fairly apathetic, but Heat has had people actively asking to play it again.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

As Tom of Shut Up And Sit Down said, it does a really good job of feeling like what you want racing to feel like, instead of what it looks like. The moment when it truly grabbed me was when I realized that zero cards are fantastic, because they let you go around a tight corner in a high gear. Pity about the availability, hopefully there'll be stock by Christmastime.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Carillon posted:

Got my first live play of Heat: Pedal to the Metal on bga yesterday. What a fun game, I loved how it played and how people were able to get into it. I wish it wasn't pretty much sold out everywhere so I could actually get a physical copy.

If you spam your email into all the online stores "notify me when back in stock" options, you'll likely be able to snag a copy. I did that and had a copy within about a month. It comes in stock and then sells out again at random places very quickly. There's also a thread on BGG where folks post when it comes in stock, so signing up for notifications when that thread moves is helpful as well.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How does Heat compare to Formula D? I guess the first is a card game while the latter uses dice, so they're pretty different games. But other than that? Formula D is all about taking risks and timing your gears/dice for different turns off the track.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

How does Heat compare to Formula D? I guess the first is a card game while the latter uses dice, so they're pretty different games. But other than that? Formula D is all about taking risks and timing your gears/dice for different turns off the track.

It has the risk taking and strategy of formula d without the garbage fire that is rolling dice to move. It's a better game in every way

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Pearlbrook: Easily the worst one. Adds a new resource and worker type that completely screw with the action economy, and a new set of VP awards that can only be acquired with said new resource and are worth a wildly outsized amount of points. It is very pretty though.

Bellfaire: The only expansion that plays well with other expansions. Opens up a highly not recommended 5-6 player mode, but the market board is nicely additive. Player powers are cool but YMMV on if they're worth their own complexity. Not my favorite expansion but I'd say if you only pick one, then this is it.

Spirecrest: Like Pearlbrook but good. Adds the mountain area with its own scoring and tasks in a way that doesn't interfere with the base game. A good one to add some variety now and then but not a necessary experience. Side note: I adore the big critter meeples.

Newleaf: Adds a bunch of new city cards and a new VP mechanic in the form of the train. Not game-changing but valuable if the base game is getting stale. My favorite of the expansions, probably.

Mistwood: Legendary cards are kind of neat but other than that and the new player species it has little to add to the base game. It's mostly a single-player/co-op total conversion that I haven't played but might be fun if that's how you choose to live your life.

I would personally rank them:
1. Bellfaire
2. Newleaf
3. Spirecrest
4. Mistwood
5. Pearlbrook

With the caveat that I wouldn't call any of them necessary, and I would never play with more than one at a time. The creators wouldn't either, every instruction booklet explicit warns against doing so.

cool, thanks. I ended up getting Spirecrest and it was a pretty good first game.

I think at this point Ill just try and get cards I can put into the main deck, one of the things my group has noticed is the meadow getting really stale and not having much movement

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Got to play Scout 3P yesterday. I can see why this would be better at 4, because occasionally two opponents can't beat a somewhat modest 3 card show. You can imagine that being a lot harder with it getting Scouted twice before the last chance to beat it. But even at that player count, it's really really something, so amazingly clever. Obviously it's been super hyped for a long while, so no surprise here.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tabletop Tycoon is having a sale of some kind. Complete Everdell for a mere $202 and all your shelf space. Ultimate Nemo's War for $90.
Also included are preorders for blankets with Everdell art, the best use for Everdell art.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Tabletop Tycoon is having a sale of some kind. Complete Everdell for a mere $202 and all your shelf space. Ultimate Nemo's War for $90.
Also included are preorders for blankets with Everdell art, the best use for Everdell art.

Nemo’s War is such a cool game. It has so much random, but the feel it evokes if you just accept Jules Vernes ocean is an unpredictable deadly mistress is pretty awesome. $90 seems expensive, but the product is quite luxurious.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The End posted:

It has the risk taking and strategy of formula d without the garbage fire that is rolling dice to move. It's a better game in every way

I think the dice make Formula D 10x easier to explain to most people.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Magnetic North posted:

Got to play Scout 3P yesterday. I can see why this would be better at 4, because occasionally two opponents can't beat a somewhat modest 3 card show. You can imagine that being a lot harder with it getting Scouted twice before the last chance to beat it. But even at that player count, it's really really something, so amazingly clever. Obviously it's been super hyped for a long while, so no surprise here.

SCOUT is amazing. The meta at my tables recently changed from people building up big hands to try to force players to pass out of a hand, to players aggressively trying to beat plays and get rid of their cards fast. This "new" way of playing has given me an increased appreciation for the game.

Really what sets it apart from other ladder climbing games is that playing strong formations doesn't necessarily weaken your hand if you can line things up properly. It's all about dem combos

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CODChimera posted:

cool, thanks. I ended up getting Spirecrest and it was a pretty good first game.

I think at this point Ill just try and get cards I can put into the main deck, one of the things my group has noticed is the meadow getting really stale and not having much movement

Yup, expansions end up being you just mixing a handful of "regular" cards in to the base game and throwing the rest of the box the trash

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yup, expansions end up being you just mixing a handful of "regular" cards in to the base game and throwing the rest ofkeeping the box in the trashcloset forever

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Been playing a bit more Challengers! on BGA. Boy that game is weird. You can limp along with a terrible deck, but if you manage to get good late and maybe pick up a few fans with card abilities, you can sneak into the final match. Then, the numbers don't matter; you just need to win. I kind of wish other board games had that type of 'playoff' final, but I also can't imagine a game where it would work outside of Challengers with simultaneous, simple game play featuring direct one-on-one conflict. There's not much like it, which I think is why it's charmed so many people.

I think it would be improved by mixing it with its upcoming expansion, since there's only 6 variable teams in the box and you only use 5 in a game.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Played Age of Innovation at an event on the weekend. It was definitely good fun and most of the improvements feel really good over Terra Mystica, but I'm also not sure why this needs to exist when there's already Terra Mystica with expansions and Gaia Project. I'd have to play more to know for sure but I think for me losing the really focused nature of the TM/GP player boards in favour of the mix-and-match style in AoI is a bit of a downgrade. Would certainly lead to more variation, but at the cost of uniqueness. Maybe? It still feels like 90% the same game, so for now I don't see any reason to own it in addition to GP, but maybe with more plays I could come to prefer it.

I can imagine though that if you didn't already own one of these games this might be the best starting point.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I really like spirit island, so I was really interested in Uprising: The Last Emperor . It's a coop 4x, with a hex based board that sees enemies from the empire coming out at you from the center, and enemies of Chaos coming at you from the edges, with you caught in between. The aim is to go 4 rounds, and for all players to have scored more than both enemy teams, who both run off a different algorithm for how they operate. (They can even attack each other!)

They had a kickstarter recently because an expansion came out, and having read a ton of reviews that were all positive (a long time after the hype for the og kickstarter died down no less) I bit the bullet.

It came a couple of weeks ago, and after two games me and my wife, and a 4 player game; it's really fun! The game is hard. It's hard in a way, where when you flip the very first event card of the game right at the start, you go "Really? OH JEEZ" and it never really let's up. It actually seems much harder 2 player, just because there seems to be some elements without a lot of built in scaling, but there's plenty of opportunity to tweak stuff to find a good balance.

Normally, adjusting stuff to 'fix' difficulty leaves a sour taste in my mouth, like as if the game isn't well tested and tuned enough so it's just left up to you. This doesn't feel like that. It feels like the game is INCREDIBLY tight, and I'm tweaking the rules to play easy mode because I haven't worked it out yet. Much like spirit island, to be honest. It has that je ne sais quois where you find yourself thinking of different strategies as you lie in bed.

You have a hero unit that can explore hexes, build new bases (more resources and points) go on quests (for a variety of rewards) and they grants bonuses in combat, augmented by buffs they get each round and any items they buy. Each round you can build some doods who can go and biff the enemies. It's all fairly familiar. But it's the enemies that are the secret sauce.

In the center of the board is the capital. Events (drawn each round) will spawn legions there, who will place a target one someone's home base. They might also spawn Chaos hordes, who appear on the outer rim. They each have a standee and a big card, that works a bit like gloomhaven, detailing the different abilities and dice they roll in combat. As they take more damage they roll fewer dice. (and as they gain health, they become more powerful too).

Combat is dice based, with 5 different coloured dice that have a different number of attack, block and 'magic' faces. So you know a black dice is going to do a bunch of damage, or a purple dice is best for magic, etc. The expansion adds a clean rerolls system to mitigate abberant rolls, where you can spend magic gems once per roll to reroll them, with each of the 4 magic gem 'druids' refreshing only if certain criteria are met. The 4 different 'druids' also grant a different power when you use the gem (or roll magic on a dice) so you've always have a bunch of different options to help you out, but you never have enough to brute force anything. Every single enemy feels like an end boss.

The components are all lovely, printed acrylic standees and lovely little plastic buildings that you can build, all that good kickstarter stuff. But it doesn't feel like too much; the money feels like it's gone in sensible places where it makes a difference to how things play.

I haven't tried either of the expansion factions yet, but they looks super fun.

This is a lot of text, apologies, but I've just been really pleasantly surprised. It feels like playing spirit island for the first time again where I want to show everyone!

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 3, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played a little of Phantom Ink last night and really enjoyed it. It's a competitive team-based word game for 4 to 8, but I would imagine it can get a bit crowded beyond 4. Two teams are each racing to guess the same object. The guessing half of the team submit question cards to their clue-giver. The clue-giver then answers publicly, but without revealing the question. To help encode the answer, the information is given one letter at a time, until the guesser asks you to stop. For example, the word is "Clock", the question is "what noise does it make when it's working", and the answer given is T I C - cut short because the enemy team is greedily trying to garner information from your turns. Eventually, the guessers think they know the object and take the pencil and write down their guess one letter at a time - being stopped when they get a letter wrong, or completing it and winning the game.
It's a solid guessing game, girded by all of the cards so that you don't have to think of other things besides playing the game. The clue-givers pick which object from a card of 5 possible objects. I didn't browse those cards too deeply, but they seemed to offer a good range of difficulty. The question cards are downright charming. There's practical ones, like "what type of store is it typically sold at?", "what has around the same cost?", weirder ones like "what field of science studies it?", "what does it taste like?", and downright whimsical ones like "what would happen to it if you buried it for a thousand years?" or "what greek or roman god is it most closely associated with?" It requires a lot of spelling, but you're all going to be carrying phones with spell-check anyway.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

I played a little of Phantom Ink last night and really enjoyed it. It's a competitive team-based word game for 4 to 8, but I would imagine it can get a bit crowded beyond 4. Two teams are each racing to guess the same object. The guessing half of the team submit question cards to their clue-giver. The clue-giver then answers publicly, but without revealing the question. To help encode the answer, the information is given one letter at a time, until the guesser asks you to stop. For example, the word is "Clock", the question is "what noise does it make when it's working", and the answer given is T I C - cut short because the enemy team is greedily trying to garner information from your turns. Eventually, the guessers think they know the object and take the pencil and write down their guess one letter at a time - being stopped when they get a letter wrong, or completing it and winning the game.
It's a solid guessing game, girded by all of the cards so that you don't have to think of other things besides playing the game. The clue-givers pick which object from a card of 5 possible objects. I didn't browse those cards too deeply, but they seemed to offer a good range of difficulty. The question cards are downright charming. There's practical ones, like "what type of store is it typically sold at?", "what has around the same cost?", weirder ones like "what field of science studies it?", "what does it taste like?", and downright whimsical ones like "what would happen to it if you buried it for a thousand years?" or "what greek or roman god is it most closely associated with?" It requires a lot of spelling, but you're all going to be carrying phones with spell-check anyway.

This sounds great, adding it to my list.

Also, has anyone played Dawn of Ulos? Space Biff just did a review of it and it sounds good even if it kind of left me going, why don't I just stick with Tigris and Euphrates?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hadrian's Wall and Sky Team are in beta on BGA now if that tickles anyone's fancy

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

!Klams posted:

I really like spirit island, so I was really interested in Uprising: The Last Emperor .
This is a lot of text, apologies, but I've just been really pleasantly surprised. It feels like playing spirit island for the first time again where I want to show everyone!

Hey thanks for this write up! Stuff like this definitely falls off the radar but I'm always happy to hear about anything that's tickling spirit island nerve receptors

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Impermanent posted:

Hey thanks for this write up! Stuff like this definitely falls off the radar but I'm always happy to hear about anything that's tickling spirit island nerve receptors

Ah, great! Yeah, that's why I thought I'd write it up, because it looks for all the world like just another 'tons of plastic minis kickstarter', and, I mean I guess it kind of is, but it's actually GOOD!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The End posted:

I see. I played Formula D last weekend and I didn't find it too random, the intervals are pretty narrow for the dice and you've got braking and choosing different paths to mitigate the randomness. It can make a difference between taking a corner perfectly and crashing and burning, though for sure.

I guess I'll have to try Heat sometime.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My one main concern with heat is the catchup mechanic that gives you a lot of freebies. It boils down the game to the last 2-3 turns (of the racetrack, which also about equals game turns), since people will catch up and you're moving in a narrow band and stay relatively close to each other. Even if you scrub out and overheat on a turn, you're never really out of the race. Now, this does mean that you'll have more of that movie like experience of racing where it's down to the wire every time, but it's definitely a concern if you're looking at it from a more simulationist POV.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Chill la Chill posted:

My one main concern with heat is the catchup mechanic that gives you a lot of freebies. It boils down the game to the last 2-3 turns (of the racetrack, which also about equals game turns), since people will catch up and you're moving in a narrow band and stay relatively close to each other. Even if you scrub out and overheat on a turn, you're never really out of the race. Now, this does mean that you'll have more of that movie like experience of racing where it's down to the wire every time, but it's definitely a concern if you're looking at it from a more simulationist POV.

I mean, if you want simulation, there's Rallyman GT or Formula 90. Heat is Formula D replacement, meant to be accessible and fun for non petrolheads. It's absolutely punishing in a real car race to fall behind the pack, as without being able to draft, unless you are running at race winning pace, you will struggle to find your way back into the race. The catch up mechanisms are a fun way to keep the backmarkers invested in the game, rather than just grinding out a last place.

The End fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 4, 2023

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

El Fideo posted:

As Tom of Shut Up And Sit Down said, it does a really good job of feeling like what you want racing to feel like, instead of what it looks like. The moment when it truly grabbed me was when I realized that zero cards are fantastic, because they let you go around a tight corner in a high gear. Pity about the availability, hopefully there'll be stock by Christmastime.

Yeah, I would love a board game that had more of the Formula One aspects of racing (like tires and pit stops), but every time I've seen one of those on kickstarter or whatever, my reaction is usually something like "Neat! Bet I couldn't get anyone else to play it, though..." or "Oh, this sounds tedious."

Lights Out Racing kind of looked like what I wanted, but if I want simulation, I'd probably rather just play an F1 video game or something and leave board games to have a sort of abstraction of the experience.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CellBlock posted:

Yeah, I would love a board game that had more of the Formula One aspects of racing (like tires and pit stops), but every time I've seen one of those on kickstarter or whatever, my reaction is usually something like "Neat! Bet I couldn't get anyone else to play it, though..." or "Oh, this sounds tedious."

Lights Out Racing kind of looked like what I wanted, but if I want simulation, I'd probably rather just play an F1 video game or something and leave board games to have a sort of abstraction of the experience.

Rallyman GT has "soft tires" in the expansion content (Adrenaline, I believe). They basically start out with a limit of 4 hazards but as the turns go by they degrade until they're only good for 2 hazards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

if you want an async game that will take a year or more

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The End posted:

I mean, if you want simulation, there's Rallyman GT or Formula 90. Heat is Formula D replacement, meant to be accessible and fun for non petrolheads. It's absolutely punishing in a real car race to fall behind the pack, as without being able to draft, unless you are running at race winning pace, you will struggle to find your way back into the race. The catch up mechanisms are a fun way to keep the backmarkers invested in the game, rather than just grinding out a last place.

I've played a lot of Formula D, and and huge amount of Rallyman. It's say Heat is right up there with the best. It's way way better than Formula D as its much faster to play, less random and it has a catch up mechanic that keeps races close. You can just fall out the back of Formula D so quickly that's much harder to do in Heat.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

if you want an async game that will take a year or more

Well, I'm currently only getting to play it once per year as it stands lmao.

This is actually super cool for something I can do with friends who've moved out of town.

The End fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I sit here looking at the Voidfall box and wonder "Have I discovered that, as a 40-something professional and new dad, some games are too much game for me?"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I kind of felt that as soon as I saw an earlier poster refer to a "[way too many] pages of iconography" cheat sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
shameful board game casuals itt