Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We recently finished a trip with our three-year-old and the hotel wasn't an issue really at all. We got a suite that where we could close the door between the bedroom that we used and a front section and he slept on a sofa bed. We brought the baby monitor and white noise machine along and things worked great.

Breakfast was definitely a highlight for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 3 year old shifted between breakfast being the best thing to swimming pool being the best. Usually demanding one followed by the other.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

in_cahoots posted:

I took my 1.5 and 4.5 year olds to one of those medieval times dinner shows. The younger one was *into* it, especially the yelling and clapping. 4.5 thought everything was too loud, especially the explosions, and couldn’t get into the ‘story’. I don’t know if you’re going to something similar but I’d definitely bring ear muffs if I were to do it again.

That's a good point... though our youngest is more likely to have issues with loud noises and whatnot. Don't believe this show has any pyrotechnics at all, but we should definitely have an exit plan ready in case he gets overwhelmed.

Oldest is definitely more outgoing and into big exciting stuff. Sometimes she gets upset about loud noises, but this is one of those situations where I'd expect her to be OK with it.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We took our daughter to a Ren Fest when she was 3. She loved the Queen and everyone dressed up, and she liked seeing the horses ride around (but not the jousting itself). Everything else was a bit boring for her. I think she'd be more into it now that she's 7, can engage in the fantasy, and would appreciate comedy / skill shows. We've talked about going again because the annual Ren Fest is only 30 minutes from our house, and the kids are older.

Yeah that's part of why we haven't been back yet, even if it weren't for COVID. We're not sure how the 3.5 will take the whole thing, but I feel like 6 is a good age. I'm sure they'll both get bored by the arts/crafts stuff that we're going to want to spend time looking at, but the shows and live artisan demos will probably hold their attention pretty well. I think this one has a falconry stage that I'm sure they'll get a kick out of... the oldest one, at least.

But hell if it were 30 minutes away, we'd have been there multiple times by now. Back where I grew up the ren fest was less than an hour drive, so we usually went once a year.

Still debating on whether to bring a stroller or not. Only been to this one once and I don't think it's terribly stroller friendly terrain, but their website says it should be fine.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So we got a form to help donate to the school where if we buy things, we help the school out and our child may get a prize. The items are so...expensive but my kid wanted something so they are getting a magazine subscription at least.

Someone has got to look into the ethics of these candy drive/magazine stuff practices. They are absolute jerks with their price jacking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh they have throughly looked at the ethics of them to ensure that there are none. Exclusive contracts, during school hours special events for high sellers to maximize peer pressure, etc.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

They are priced so high to get your school some money....our PTO gets 40% of the cost of the item. So if it's marked at $20 the school gets $8 of that. And of course the company selling the products makes money on it too.

Our PTO also advertises an option to just flat out donate and not sell anything. 100% of that stays in the school. They have some sort of $X donated correlates to a specific number of items sold so the kids can still get prizes and fun stuff too.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Just want to jump back in and mention we got our son enrolled in the local public preK program and he is doing really well. Has a very experienced teacher, has two friends in the class from daycare, the schedule is later in the day so can sleep to his normal hours, and he just seems much happier. Thanks all for the advice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's nuts how quickly things can change from a fun time playing together to the kids hitting each other and hitting us and so, so much screaming.

Everyone's settled now but good lord, what the gently caress just happened? Chillax.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

sheri posted:

They are priced so high to get your school some money....our PTO gets 40% of the cost of the item. So if it's marked at $20 the school gets $8 of that. And of course the company selling the products makes money on it too.

Our PTO also advertises an option to just flat out donate and not sell anything. 100% of that stays in the school. They have some sort of $X donated correlates to a specific number of items sold so the kids can still get prizes and fun stuff too.

There was an option for us to donate to the classroom, the other option...prize page required six emails along with the purchase of something to get to the confirmation page so my child could get the prize they wanted and they wanted the prize. Since the prize is given immediately after they submit the envelope, I couldn't really explain that this wasnt worth it to the kid.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

TV Zombie posted:

There was an option for us to donate to the classroom, the other option...prize page required six emails along with the purchase of something to get to the confirmation page so my child could get the prize they wanted and they wanted the prize. Since the prize is given immediately after they submit the envelope, I couldn't really explain that this wasnt worth it to the kid.

Ugh that sucks. That's not a good system. Sorry kiddo!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The prizes are the dumbest stupidest poo poo that breaks in 30 seconds and ends up in the landfill forever and pisses me off too. We had a coupon book drive at the start of the school year and they just did their "fun run" fundraiser...and there's a bookfair in a few months. I wish I could just donate X amount to the school and be left alone, but then our kids would feel left out.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We sent that loving coupon book back.

$30 for something we'll never use... not happening. I'm not going to go around trying to push it on neighbors/friends/etc. because I'm not a douche canoe. No family in the area.

I don't even know what the prizes were supposed to be? If anything? Barely read the paper that came with it.

I feel bad I guess a little bit? Sorry you can't afford things because the government cut your budget but... just stop. I'm not turning my 6 year old in to a MLM proxy. It's not building character to try to sell useless poo poo to people who don't want it and would only buy it out of pity.

I've done my turn, and growing up I never felt more stupid than when I was going door to door trying to sell this bullshit for school/baseball/whatever... coupon books, discount cards, chocolate bars... I've done it, I hated every minute of it.

I mean I'd rather just give $30 to the school/PTA/whoever was asking for it. I dunno. At least they get all of it rather than some tiny fraction of a percent of the profits...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our neighborhood has a lot of young families, so when the fundraising season comes, all the kids are ringing the same doors and selling the same crap. Our PTO has a direct donation, and most of our teachers have Amazon wishlists, so we go directly to the source when we contribute. I'll take my kids to the dollar tree to buy useless junk to make up for it.

I will say there are some legitimately good fundraisers at our school that we look forward to every year: local business discount card by the football team; pancake breakfasts by the band and baseball team; family arts & crafts nights by the art club.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seriously, I didn't know what the gently caress was happening when I was a kid and I was somehow expected to sell holiday wrapping paper...? And then in Boy Scouts I'm going around trying to get people to buy some coupon books, telling them "oh there's great deals" I'm legit twelve, what the gently caress do I know? I only ever used the pizza coupon inside.

At least selling overpriced popcorn I could actually say "yeah the salted butterscotch ones are off the chain, big recommend" and know what I was talking about.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Kid's high school volley ball team did a Moe's fundraiser a few weeks back, so I pitched in for that. Was enough for dinner for the three of us and then some lunches, and meant I didn't have to cook one night of the week.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
5 year old's parting questions at bedtime last night was, "are you going to die before me?"

loving hell kid

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

majestic12 posted:

5 year old's parting questions at bedtime last night was, "are you going to die before me?"

loving hell kid

Our daughter has been asking the same thing. Then gets upset that we'll die first.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am really struggling trying to figure out what to do with my son next Monday. Daycare is closed and I wasn’t able to get the day off. I work from home, but I do actually have work to do and my poor little guy is going to get so bored :( Any tips for fun independent play ideas for a 2.75 year old? I am not opposed to buying him a new toy or something either to keep his attention.
Edit: ok I swallowed my pride or shame or whatever it is and called my sister, she is going to come over!

remigious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 4, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's nothing wrong with asking close family to watch your kid once a month or so. That's how it's always been done. Helps strengthen bonds between your kid and family members too.

Asking every week, hours or the day before is a different matter.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh boy, we are entering the “where did my sweet baby go” phase. 2.5 yo son has started hitting (a lot), throwing tantrums, and pouting/screaming if he doesn’t get his way. My daughter had “terrible 3s,” but she wasn’t much of a hitter until she turned 4… Trying the gentle touches, hands are not for hitting, etc, but the hitting is constant. Gah I knew this day was coming.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

There's nothing wrong with asking close family to watch your kid once a month or so. That's how it's always been done. Helps strengthen bonds between your kid and family members too.

Asking every week, hours or the day before is a different matter.

Yeah I just have a complicated relationship with my family. Moved out when I was 17 and determined never to be in their debt for anything. Over the years my sister and I have grown closer though and that has been really nice.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hope your kids all were done napping by 220pm est

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You know you’re a parent when your first thought is how the scene played out at daycare where 220pm is still in quiet / nap time window and all of a sudden every phone in the school goes apeshit

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
What's a good TV show for a (very sensitive, can't handle anything remotely "scary") six year old. She has been a big fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, enoyed some Bluey when we had Disney+ and has currenly been watching quite a lot of Sesame Street. I've grown to hate Elmo, and think it's time she watched more stuff with, you know, a story. There are things I've heard of that are supposedly good, (Adventure Time?) but I've no idea what age they're pitched at.

If anyone says Paw Patrol I'm coming to your house.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Savings Clown posted:

What's a good TV show for a (very sensitive, can't handle anything remotely "scary") six year old. She has been a big fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, enoyed some Bluey when we had Disney+ and has currenly been watching quite a lot of Sesame Street. I've grown to hate Elmo, and think it's time she watched more stuff with, you know, a story. There are things I've heard of that are supposedly good, (Adventure Time?) but I've no idea what age they're pitched at.

Puffin Rock is pretty good in every respect: art style, characters, story. Should be on Netflix.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Tumble leaf on Amazon prime! My kiddo loved it around that age.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Adventure Time can dip into scary early on, and later seasons wallow in existential terror. So that's probably right out.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Donkey Hodie on PBS is really good

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Savings Clown posted:

Trash Truck is hella chill

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Savings Clown posted:

Frog and Toad on Apple TV is ridiculously chill and good. Same with the Peanuts stuff on there.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Adventure Time can dip into scary early on, and later seasons wallow in existential terror. So that's probably right out.

Adventure Time whips rear end but uhh yeah it pretty quickly gets insanely not chill
https://youtu.be/FrlymHW0qU8?feature=shared

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Cory Carson was a random pick by my daughter that actually is great, lots of fun little background details about the world where everyone is cars.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kids started loving Pokémon around that age. A little suspense sometimes I guess but… it’s generally pretty harmless and cute.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I was surprised how chill Spidey and His Amazing Friends is for a superhero show (Disney+). The level of danger is stuff like Doc Ock is going to flood the park so that the Mothers' Day picnic will be ruined.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Muir posted:

I was surprised how chill Spidey and His Amazing Friends is for a superhero show (Disney+). The level of danger is stuff like Doc Ock is going to flood the park so that the Mothers' Day picnic will be ruined.

Oh yeah, we've been watching this too.

Octonauts is very similar (Netflix) plus you get the creature report jam.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Savings Clown posted:

There is more recent My Little Pony stuff on Netflix in case your kid hasn't seen it yet.

Speaking of Netflix the reboot of She-Ra is great, as is Avatar: The Last Airbender. Also Dragon Prince. All of these have good characters and positive messages but also some moments of drama and peril which your kid may not like.

If she is okay with full length movies instead of shows, Studio Ghibli stuff is a solid choice. Movies like Kiki, Ponyo, Totoro, The Cat Returns, etc in particular.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

External Organs posted:

Oh yeah, we've been watching this too.

Octonauts is very similar (Netflix) plus you get the creature report jam.

Well now I can't get creature report out of my head, thanks.

No really, thanks. It slaps

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
My daughter got a stomach ache and a one-day bout of diarrhea yesterday, causing her to miss preschool that day. Which I was unhappy about at first...

Until it turned out they had a special guest that day: a cop, to tell kids about whatever it is cops tell four-year-olds! Kid, your timing is excellent.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, it's definitely aimed at slightly older kids (and 20-something stoners which let's be honest is how the decrepit millennials in this forum know so much about this children's show), and you can also tell that it developed in a "grow along with the audience" way - both in tone, subject matter and how it goes from generally self-contained episodes to increasingly complex seasonal storylines. Unlike shorter or more static shows, I'd imagine going through multiple seasons of AT in a year would result in the child finding it weird and confusing, so I'm not sure how it holds up as legacy TV.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 5, 2023

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Muir posted:

I do love how the villainy of the villains varies hugely with the episode though (presumably depending on writer). So one ep Green Goblin is trying to let off a big stink bomb and the next he's robbing a bank and trying to blast people with lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OG Care Bears, og and current Muppet Babies are pretty good zero stress shows