Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s the only show brave enough to have leads who are as stupid and careless as real children.

I don't know, have you seen a cop show? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm through Season 3 of Steven Universe now, partway into season 4. Some nice plot progression, although my favorite episodes aren't necessarily part of the main plot but moments where there's heavy character development for Steven, Connie, or Pearl. That means high points so far have been Sworn to the Sword in season 2, and Mindful Education and Last One Out of Beach City in season 4. I also enjoyed the season 1 finale with Garnet's song.

Amethyst.... I get she has her own problems but the cartoony voice makes it hard to take her seriously. Same with Peridot, although I get the sense the creators are trying to depict some kind of neurodivergence with her.

Its an interesting experience watching this show because at times it feels like anime what with its Gurren Lagaan and Sailor Moon influences, but I don't think most anime approaches growing emotional intelligence or character growth in general like this. Mostly anime seems to be a process of characters learning to step up, stop crying, and be determined. And then using that determination to punch harder. In fact the only series I've seen that had characters attack their trauma as directly as in Steven Universe was a latter arc of Berserk shortly before the author died.

Edit: Wait no, Wonder Egg Priotiy also had some of that good attack trauma (literally lol) before it slipped and fell over itself from production problems.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 2, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair to the voice actors I think that's just what Michaela Dietz and Shelby Rabara sound like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair to the voice actors I think that's just what Michaela Dietz and Shelby Rabara sound like.

Yeah, Vee from Owl House and Darryl from Molly McGee (both of whom Dietz also played) sounded pretty close to Amethyst so I also think that’s just her normal speaking voice

Can’t speak for Shelby though as I’ve never seen anything else she’s been in

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 2, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
From hearing her in other stuff it's definitely Dietz's go-to voice for characters, if nothing else

e: f,b

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's something to hear Amethyst curse you out in GTA.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
She also shows up in American Dad a few times as various characters.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember talking with a british friend once about it and being like:

Me: Estelle had one hit over here, a collab with Kanye West before she was Garnet, but she was British, was she bigger over there or
British Friend: No she was a one-hit-wonder over here too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard from a friend that Peridot's voice and mannerisms are clearly styled on Invader Zim.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I can 100% see that. Except for that one episode where she's Wile E. Coyote.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Don't say that like Zim wasn't already a dark sci-fi looney tune.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard from a friend that Peridot's voice and mannerisms are clearly styled on Invader Zim.

Rebecca Sugar was a huge Invader Zim fan when she was a teen, if you do a little internet trawling you can actually find some of the fanart she made back in the day, similarly she was also a huge Ed, Edd, n Eddy fan and apparently Lars and Sadie have their origins in OC characters she had come up with(also she made Edd/Eddy yaoi that unfortunately has made it onto the internet)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As far as I'm concerned this vine is canon to SU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwgHiGR-Kgw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's also weird watching Transformers Animated after SU because it comes off as a gender swap. The Gems have a lot of Cybertronian vibes, as well as a touch of Saiyan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Clarence is an insane loving show. The episode where his parents forget to pick him up from school is straight bananas, dipping through multiple levels of reality and basically winking at the screen towards the end by acknowledging that nothing about what happened could possibly make sense.

Also surprised by how much the show has it out for the Jeff character. He's sort of the gang's uptight friend with control issues, but the show leans into this idea that he's basically a little monster. Just narcissistic and rules obsessed to the point where even the teachers resent him. There's this fantastic episode where he gets assigned to the lower percentile class (based on a standardized test) and it's just the most absolutely brutal takedown of him and of grading in general. He desperately believes he deserves to be in the top scoring class, but whenever they cut away to said class the characters are (hilariously) discussing university level theory about self-directed learning and the uselessness of standardized testing -- which Jeff would hate. And then the episode slowly reveals that the lower scoring class are having the exact same discussion about self-directed learning, but in this form that's equally alienating and incomprehensible to the poor guy. He's honestly probably pretty lonely, but he also believes that he's just better than everyone else around him and so it's all horribly self-inflicted. It's great stuff, but so so mean.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Clarence is an insane loving show. The episode where his parents forget to pick him up from school is straight bananas, dipping through multiple levels of reality and basically winking at the screen towards the end by acknowledging that nothing about what happened could possibly make sense.

Also surprised by how much the show has it out for the Jeff character. He's sort of the gang's uptight friend with control issues, but the show leans into this idea that he's basically a little monster. Just narcissistic and rules obsessed to the point where even the teachers resent him. There's this fantastic episode where he gets assigned to the lower percentile class (based on a standardized test) and it's just the most absolutely brutal takedown of him and of grading in general. He desperately believes he deserves to be in the top scoring class, but whenever they cut away to said class the characters are (hilariously) discussing university level theory about self-directed learning and the uselessness of standardized testing -- which Jeff would hate. And then the episode slowly reveals that the lower scoring class are having the exact same discussion about self-directed learning, but in this form that's equally alienating and incomprehensible to the poor guy. He's honestly probably pretty lonely, but he also believes that he's just better than everyone else around him and so it's all horribly self-inflicted. It's great stuff, but so so mean.

I was in the higher performing class of my school and we mostly talked about girls, video games, and baseball.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also weird watching Transformers Animated after SU because it comes off as a gender swap. The Gems have a lot of Cybertronian vibes, as well as a touch of Saiyan.

It kills me that all we will ever get of Season 4 is that surprisingly good botcon comic. They were going to do a Shattered Glass episode! I'm a sucker for that poo poo!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Covok posted:

I was in the higher performing class of my school and we mostly talked about girls, video games, and baseball.

I was a stupidly high-performing student in all AP classes and I never shut up about cartoons and video games.

Don't worry, it's not a brag: I psyched myself out of ever applying to a real college and wound up attending a for-profit art school! :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished Steven Universe's original series and the movie. Inspired choice to make the movie's villain such a riff on Disney and rubber hose American animation, after the tv series was mostly anime inspired. It also moves really well.

I'm a bit conflicted about how they take down White Diamond in "Change Your Mind". Thematically it works, it's just so abrupt. Like Steven delivers a zinger and suddenly she's shamed into an epiphany. I'm not sure how they could have done it differently, though more time might have helped. Or making it more obvious that doubt was starting to grow in her mind when Steven's removed gem didn't come back as Pink Diamond, making the zinger more obvious as a final blow that was coming on top of a lot of other uncertainties. We don't get a lot of verbal sparring in cartoons, so I felt they needed a bit more time in storyboards to figure out how each bit of the talk is putting a dent in White's certainty the way that a fight choreographer would carefully figure out how to show why a certain punch finished a fight.

Other than that I really enjoyed the series. Now I have two gem shows I really enjoy, SU and Houseki no Kuni.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did feel like the ending was rushed when the action finally kicked off, but if anything it was Yellow Diamond who I felt had the weakest face-turn, because while Blue Diamond had to work through her issues that were already out on display, Yellow Diamond wasn't openly in crisis, had up to that point been the main gem orchestrating villains, and it was never really clear that she ever exactly knew what was going on with Steven. She just went to White Diamond to talk about how she was stressed out.

White Diamond was clearly under some kind of solipsistic delusion where she decided since she could assert her will through other gems, that must've meant that nobody else really exists, so Steven clearly being an independent person outside of her power was much more strongly debunking her entire worldview, and also making her lose control over other gems as she tried harder to control Steven, so losing her composure in front of others was more just the final straw for somebody who never really had to deal with others,

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The only Steven Universe question that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuDyfx-fn6U

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Steven and Star would team up and kill the guy who was forcing them to death battle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heck, that's pretty much the premise of both shows.

The thing is with the Diamonds is that in their worldview, there's literally only three other people in the universe who really matter, and they're other Diamonds. They do start to slowly open up and at least appreciate other Gems and beings as they go but they are among the most ancient of the immortal Gems and old habits die hard. Mostly this means that despite their callousness and being used to being obeyed unquestioningly, they'll listen to what a Diamond says in a way that no one else will- and when it gets through to them what happened to Pink Diamond, that makes them pause like nothing else in existence. Blue's pretty much shut down with grief for six millennia at this point, and Yellow has been basically on autopilot as the only Diamond actually willing and able to do any real work holding what's clearly a crumbling empire together- and the Diamonds are who she's doing it for. Of course once they no longer have faith in the project, suddenly the pillars her world is based on are crumbling.

I've made a lot of Transformers and DBZ comparisons over the years, but more an interesting twist Steven Universe takes on it is probably that the Gems don't have any real opposition, there's no rival empire out there they're in constant battle with at least that we see, even the rebellion was brutally quashed millennia ago and is mostly a boogeyman of rumour and myth. It's not a grand civil war like the Autobots and Decepticons, instead it's the stagnation and rot of an empire that's running on fumes. Earth can't have been technically much of a material loss for an empire with intergalactic FTL travel, even if it was intended as a state-of-the-art supercolony and the hub of a new quadrant of the Gempire, but everything we see of Homeworld, a literal broken homeworld, suggests there's been no real new ideas or developments since then, that the loss of Pink Diamond broke the leadership, and while their technology has advanced (though the limb-ships seem to suggest it's more the bleeding-edge tech that was once reserved for the Diamonds themselves became more commonplace) their social development and infrastructure hasn't. Probably fitting for a post-Cold War show, heh. Rose Quartz was basically their Bin Laden.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
After the Diamonds ousted the Snake People who controlled the galaxy at every level of government they just didn't have much of a purpose left...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saberspark did a video on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and interviewed some of the crew. Apparently the show's cancellation isn't actually final-final and there's a slight chance of continuation if Nickelodeon wants. But very unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIu3WDz1K_o

A tweet that got one of the animators hired:
https://twitter.com/_LauraGille/status/1252251204689768455

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

SlothfulCobra posted:

Saberspark did a video on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and interviewed some of the crew. Apparently the show's cancellation isn't actually final-final and there's a slight chance of continuation if Nickelodeon wants. But very unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIu3WDz1K_o

A tweet that got one of the animators hired:
https://twitter.com/_LauraGille/status/1252251204689768455

Probably won't happen until at least the new show is over like 5 to 10 years from now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geo Fixer posted:

Probably won't happen until at least the new show is over like 5 to 10 years from now

Hell, current rumors seem to be saying we won’t even see the new Paramount+ series for another 2 years

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Hell, current rumors seem to be saying we won’t even see the new Paramount+ series for another 2 years

Which is ironic, because current industry estimations suggest Paramount won't even be around in another two years :eng101:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of the Turtles, they're going to be doing a Kickstarter for a new release of the old Palladium tabletop RPG at the end of the month

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Live action Gargoyles reboot in the works apparently:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/gargoyles-live-action-series-reboot-disney-plus-gary-dauberman-james-wans-1235758161/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, neat. Can't wait to not give a poo poo about it at all and then still watch the internet melt down over it anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gargoyles was after all a great example of something you'd have the twitter nazis melting down over if released completely unchanged today.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
some friends and I joked about how much overlap it has with TMNT in terms of premise: An all-male team of inhuman characters (consisting of an older mentor figure, the group's leader, The Cool One who's red, the group nerd and the fun-loving slightly childish one) team up with a down-to-earth human female who gets into criminal situations often because of her job to stop evil.

(Yes I'm aware it's not perfect, Demona shatters the 'all-male' part, it was a goof)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

some friends and I joked about how much overlap it has with TMNT in terms of premise: An all-male team of inhuman characters (consisting of an older mentor figure, the group's leader, The Cool One who's red, the group nerd and the fun-loving slightly childish one) team up with a down-to-earth human female who gets into criminal situations often because of her job to stop evil.

(Yes I'm aware it's not perfect, Demona shatters the 'all-male' part, it was a goof)

There’s also another Gargoyle named Angela who joins up during the second season

Speaking of Gargoyles, how’s the current comic series out of curiosity (assuming it’s still running that is)?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The TMNT similarities are definitely on purpose, everyone wanted in on that franchise juggernaut, it was the Scooby-Doo of the 90s.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, New York setting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've seen be understandably torn on loving Eliza as representation but also she's a cop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aside from Ed Asner who’s no longer with us most of the Gargoyle VAs are still working in the industry these days (I’m sure Keith David would probably be willing to reprise his role at least). Hell, give Jonathan Frakes a slight shave and he could probably pull off a decent live action Xanatos (though he might be a bit old now)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Aside from Ed Asner who’s no longer with us most of the Gargoyle VAs are still working in the industry these days (I’m sure Keith David would probably be willing to reprise his role at least). Hell, give Jonathan Frakes a slight shave and he could probably pull off a decent live action Xanatos (though he might be a bit old now)

Reading the description of the show it seems like all you'd need is Keith David.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mix it up. Make Keith David Xanatos and get some new blood in for the boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Gargoyles, how’s the current comic series out of curiosity (assuming it’s still running that is)?

Aggressively mid. Goliath is currently on not-trial to prove that Gargoyles are sentient.