Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Interesting breakdown of Deus Ex's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkn2ed7mZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've replayed Deus Ex earlier this year and kinda want to do it again.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm at the Brooklyn Bridge station and I haven't seen a single augmentation canister since the Statue. And I've been very thorough in poking around everywhere. I could've sworn you'd be able to find at least one more aug by this point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there's one in the nsf base underneath battery park

e: wait brooklyn bridge station? there was one in the hell's kitchen nsf warehouse too

site fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 26, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Crap, seriously? Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Crap, seriously? Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought.

Is it bad that I haven't played in well over a decade and I know exactly where both of those are?

If it makes you feel better, I only found the one under Castle Clinton on my first run through.

IIRC, there's actually both an aug canister AND an upgrade canister in the NSF warehouse.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is there something in particular that needs to be done to get access to Anna Navarre's and Gunther's killphrase? I'm at UNATCO HQ just after the Lebedev encounter. I know you're supposed to log in to their PC (ghermann, zeitgeist) and then Manderley's to get both halves. But I get an "invalid login" message on Gunther's PC. It's kind of weird; do I need to maybe talk to someone first to trigger it? Is this too late in the game to get it? I tried loading an earlier save, but no deal. This is on Revision, so I was wondering if it was just buggy but they have a cheevo for using the killphrases so it must work.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is there something in particular that needs to be done to get access to Anna Navarre's and Gunther's killphrase? I'm at UNATCO HQ just after the Lebedev encounter. I know you're supposed to log in to their PC (ghermann, zeitgeist) and then Manderley's to get both halves. But I get an "invalid login" message on Gunther's PC. It's kind of weird; do I need to maybe talk to someone first to trigger it? Is this too late in the game to get it? I tried loading an earlier save, but no deal. This is on Revision, so I was wondering if it was just buggy but they have a cheevo for using the killphrases so it must work.

it's not in a computer email afaik, you get gunther's phrase by leaving Jaime behind at unatco instead of encouraging him to visit hong kong

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

it's not in a computer email afaik, you get gunther's phrase by leaving Jaime behind at unatco instead of encouraging him to visit hong kong

Yes that's true and I'll keep my (augmented) eyeballs peeled for that. But I'm pretty sure Anna's is in an email: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907997830

Not a big deal but I never tried it before in previous playthroughs and wanted to see it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yes that's true and I'll keep my (augmented) eyeballs peeled for that. But I'm pretty sure Anna's is in an email: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907997830

Not a big deal but I never tried it before in previous playthroughs and wanted to see it.

for anna's, try checking anna's computer instead of gunther's

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Sure is handy the mech augs got instantaneous killswitches that are verbally activated. Denton's one-liner would need to be a marathon-grade run-on sentence to finish off a nano aug.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone played the re-release of the Nameless Mod? the original had a... mixed reputation and I was wondering if anyone had played both and could comment.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

for anna's, try checking anna's computer instead of gunther's

I managed to find it - after you run into Paul at the MJ12 facility, he tells you about "demiurge / archon" and that did the trick.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone played the re-release of the Nameless Mod? the original had a... mixed reputation and I was wondering if anyone had played both and could comment.

It's way better. The maps have been redrawn to be less windy and while I haven't finished my latest playthrough the main thing that puts people off - the cringey humour and voice acting - are all still there if that's what puts you off. If the main areas of Forum City being giant brown slabs put you off give it another go.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I don't know if this is GMDX being screwy or if DX's gunplay is a lot worse than I remembered: There's been very frequent instances where I try to score a headshot with either the Stealth Pistol or Crossbow, with Advanced skill, on regular troops and it doesn't result in an instant kill/KO. Like, square in the face or in the brainpan. Or instances where I tried to gun down greasels with either the regular 10 mm, with a laser sight, or the Assault Rifle, also with Advanced skill, and they just won't die. I don't remember them being so hardy. I'm in Hong Kong, so from this point on I'm going weapons-free more often, and I'd like to avoid more incidents like those.

Also, I don't remember the scope sway being so awful. I thought increasing your weapon proficiency keeps that from happening.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 30, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not tried GMDX, but the sway is scope sway is pretty much gone at max skill. Also the lethal darts do unimpressive damage (& the tranq darts deal neglible impact dmg), and the stealth pistol hits notably softer than the 10mm. Steal some mook's 10mm and pop a guy in the face, if he doesn't go down then it's a mod issue for sure.

The Assault rifle has always sucked, I think someone said it gets suddenly better at max skill and upgrades due to rounding errors?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Assault rifle is good at master level or advanced with enough mods because it won't recoil and is perfectly accurate, so you can stunlock people with headshots and one burst kills most mooks anyway.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

I don't know if GMDX changes it but adding a scope mod to your pistol adds a fixed penalty to your un-scoped accuracy, negating the laser sight and (iirc) skill benefit.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
deep dive into the hosed up NPC hitboxes in this game https://steamcommunity.com/games/dx-revision/announcements/detail/1722000388004993698

TL;DR you have to hit them from specific angles -- it's like final fantasy tactics :roflolmao:

EDIT: also the tops of their heads clip through the hitbox for some reason

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Butterwagon posted:

Interesting breakdown of Deus Ex's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkn2ed7mZQ

An even more interesting breakdown of the Deus Ex main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVo3VqjL0Q

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Butterwagon posted:

I don't know if GMDX changes it but adding a scope mod to your pistol adds a fixed penalty to your un-scoped accuracy, negating the laser sight and (iirc) skill benefit.

GMDX decidedly does not fix that. It seems somewhat counterintuitive to attach a weapon mod that acts as an active detriment to your gun.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVB-52enLA

Going to be somewhat optimistic that it isn't just nostalgia bait.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVB-52enLA

Going to be somewhat optimistic that it isn't just nostalgia bait.

Looks fun but without Sheldon Pacotti's writing it won't reach the same heights

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I didn't remember the security at Maggie Chow's secret lair being so. . . heavily armed. Took almost all my medkits to heal all my limbs. Good thing I have regen. Now the big decision is whether to max out Pistols to get rid of that annoying scope sway or upgrade Medicine to improve my medkits/biocells. Also I don't remember the Dragon's Tooth being so darn big.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You’re probably remembering using your super legs to jump in from the outside of the penthouse, thus giving you an easier route of attack

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I took the rooftop, but wound up alerting one of the guards below me. I didn't see any way from the outside. Something to remember for next time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basic Chunnel posted:

You’re probably remembering using your super legs to jump in from the outside of the penthouse, thus giving you an easier route of attack

I had this same experience the last time I replayed. The first times I played the game I was trying to jump and climb up everywhere and stumbled that whole road/her apartment just from poking around. Much more frustrating the normal way lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I had this same experience the last time I replayed. The first times I played the game I was trying to jump and climb up everywhere and stumbled that whole road/her apartment just from poking around. Much more frustrating the normal way lol

I find it hilarious playing in vanilla, as the security can be heard milling around almost as soon as you walk in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think you can also get into maggie's mj12 base through the garage with the broken elevator? or does that get into versalife? i can't remember

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

site posted:

i think you can also get into maggie's mj12 base through the garage with the broken elevator? or does that get into versalife? i can't remember

Yes, that's one of the routes into her apartment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The secret area in her apartment isn't very big and LAMs were practically made for whipping around corners.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I always love walking into her apartment through the front door and seeing an "MJ12 Troop: *coughs*" dialogue box. I like to imagine that as JC's augmented senses tipping him off. Somehow that has happened to me on every single playthrough where I've gone through the front door, but I somehow doubt it's scripted.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Same with the sewer MJ12 base earlier. Kinda hosed the narrative they were going for “who are these weird black armored assholes?” with MJ12 soldier: “these war crimes make my feet hurt”.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Everyone check out Shadows Of Doubt. It's like the New York/Hong Kong levels' sidequests made into a whole detective game.
And you have a cool case board mechanic to piece evidence together.

It's really scratching this particular DX itch. Early access still, but I already sank 25 hours just solving murders and getting to know the city I generated. Progression is money (bribes, buy apartments, consumables), aug canisters (found our bought, passive upgrades to various abilities), social credit (people tell you poo poo), and more importantly, knowledge. You get to know people you meet and get keys and passwords, making it easier to solve cases.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I do love Shadows of Doubt and some of its highs are oh so high - nothing feels quite as good as asking myself, 'I wonder if I can...' and the answer is always yes, often in ways which video games normally say no. However, it doesn't hit the same narrative itch that Deus Ex is so good at; there's very little writing in that game, which is a shame.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

drat, holy poo poo, between this and quicksave-during-infolinks Revision is finally worth using. Are the "original" maps exactly the same as vanilla?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
They are identical.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nearly finished TNM for the second time (I beat it once before the Day 2 update) and man it still baffles me in some ways

- never found the loving Partyzone
- in the final area, I found a familiar token under a pool table and it says it's 1 of 4. I can't find any mentions of them in the walkthrough :(
- why oh why would I ever pick the Ryan from ABI ending it's super late in the game and is kind of a dumb idea to do

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha, I just never walked far enough past WorldCorp, more fool me then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I see no reason why this couldn’t/shouldn’t work in a DE game.

“Nanopolymer prosthesis allows you to hack from across the room,slap guards buttcheeks and put LAMS on deskchairs”.