Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

His death was likely inevitable from the injuries, making Tony's act that much more unnecessary and petty

fits a lot of Tony’s decisions in the later seasons, to be honest. he alienated himself from most of the crew over pretty dumb poo poo at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oops wrong thread

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 3, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

Many Saints never happened, dont talk about it.

What do people think are Chris' survival odds if Tony doesn't suffocate him? Its not as if he walked in to his house and gunned him down in cold blood.

I suppose I ought to be more sympathetic towards characters with addictions. Gambling is a big thing on my moms side, and I have one cousin/childhood friend who has been completely consumed by drugs. I haven't even smoked weed in 16 years, largely due to that cousin and what he's become, but I also stopped enjoying it. I'm sort of fortunate in a way because I see Chris shooting up or snorting blow, and I guess on some extremely low level there is a small curiosity of what it must feel like, but its never been close to overpowering the rational side that knows what goes along with hard drugs. I've struggled with depression and other difficult moments but it was all my own fault, my life has been easy compared to many in regards to family life and the advantages that not everyone has.

Still, as a viewer, in the context of Tony's life and his work, I dont think he had much other choice at that moment than to put it to bed and be done with it.

I find Chris to be sympathetic in many ways but whenever he beats the living Christ out of his Ade I'm reminded what a loving rear end in a top hat he is. His addiction issues are him self medicating his other, more pertinent ones but, man. Some of my most uncomfortable and anger inducing moments in the whole show are his instances of domestic violence.

And my post up thread, where someone said "I could do better" (but never clarified) was me pontificating about Chris from Tony's POV and not some rambling excuse for why he got murdered. Like your last sentence there. I don't know what problem that person had with what I wrote.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

banned from Starbucks posted:

Huh? What does he even do in the movie? He's around for a bit then goes off to prison for half the movie, gets released has a couple scenes then disappears again.

TV Johnny Boy: generally gregarious with Tony
Many Saints Johnny Boy: usually screaming and slapping him when in the same room with him

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

TV Johnny Boy: generally gregarious with Tony
Many Saints Johnny Boy: usually screaming and slapping him when in the same room with him

Man I must have completely pushed the parts of that movie that aren't memes out of my head. I can't remember Johnny boy outside of him telling them to get McDonald's or walking the dog when he throws the speaker out the window.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She also mentions that Eric is really into acid at a state school.

Whoa whoa, REALLY? I don't remember that at all. I can't tell if you're joking or not.

edit: I am going to need a Youtube clip or a timestamp if you're not joking.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 4, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

escape artist posted:

Whoa whoa, REALLY? I don't remember that at all. I can't tell if you're joking or not.

edit: I am going to need a Youtube clip or a timestamp if you're not joking.

Had to look it up myself, it's in Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood around 38:45. It's a very brief exchange as Hunter and Meadow are walking into her dorm room; Hunter says she heard Eric Scantino hates Montclair State, and that he's been doing a lot of acid; Meadow kinda brushes it off by saying "And he was SO straight-edge."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Man I must have completely pushed the parts of that movie that aren't memes out of my head. I can't remember Johnny boy outside of him telling them to get McDonald's or walking the dog when he throws the speaker out the window.

All I remember is Johnny Boy confusedly asking “what this?”

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

JethroMcB posted:

Had to look it up myself, it's in Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood around 38:45. It's a very brief exchange as Hunter and Meadow are walking into her dorm room; Hunter says she heard Eric Scantino hates Montclair State, and that he's been doing a lot of acid; Meadow kinda brushes it off by saying "And he was SO straight-edge."
Ah, no wonder I couldn't remember it. I hate that episode.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

escape artist posted:

Ah, no wonder I couldn't remember it. I hate that episode.

It’s probably the worst episode in the series

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

As much as is wrong with A Hit is a Hit I can’t poo poo on it. Meowww!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure I remember enjoying that episode. It was a pretty novel idea I think

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

kalel posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember enjoying that episode. It was a pretty novel idea I think

Yeah, at the time people liked it because it was different and we hadn't heard all those song mashups so slamming the Peter Gunn theme with Every Breath You Take felt novel. I even think the lamp not paying off was intentional because dumb coincidences can and have wrecked the FBI's investigations into the mob.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BiggerBoat posted:

I find Chris to be sympathetic in many ways

that's surprising to me because I saw him as an irredeemable narcissist from his first appearance

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Chrissy is a bad person but an interesting character. He is constantly being pushed toward difficult life choices, and you can see him stuggle with them. The scene at the gas station where he chooses the family over Adrianna is incredible because you see the conflict in his heart, and the naked truth that he can't escape.

I wouldn't call him sympathetic, but certainly compelling. I found myself wishing he made better choices but understood why he didn't. It's rare to see tragedy done as well in contemporary fiction that they pulled off with his character.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can you think of a character from any other series that could say the likes of "I could write my memoirs" or "as far as male modeling, I'd probably be a success"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“Book says a movie is supposed to be about 120 pages...I got this fuckin’ computer, I thought it would do a lot of it for me”

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol yes he is also extremely stupid in a very believable way

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was real? I saw that movie, I thought it was bullshit.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MrMojok posted:

“Book says a movie is supposed to be about 120 pages...I got this fuckin’ computer, I thought it would do a lot of it for me”

Chrissy was a ChatGPT visionary.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, he was aware of what you could and couldn’t do with computers by season three.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just finished another rewatch. In the final scene I thought it was interesting how much the dude in the trucker hat looked like the guy Tony did the bust out on. Such a cool ending.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think about the most implausible thing about the whole show is that someone who started off his screenwriting career all "it took me 30 minutes to write, I thought it would take 30 minutes to read" ends up finishing an actual script that gets filmed and has a generally reasonable reception among industry people (albeit highly genre)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I must be loyle to my capo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Data Graham posted:

I think about the most implausible thing about the whole show is that someone who started off his screenwriting career all "it took me 30 minutes to write, I thought it would take 30 minutes to read" ends up finishing an actual script that gets filmed and has a generally reasonable reception among industry people (albeit highly genre)

J.T. Dolan wrote the script for Cleaver, based off of Christopher's loose ideas/handful of completed pages.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I could’ve taken ecstasy but I didnt!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Data Graham posted:

He finished it with science....

..or maybe it was supernatural.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ive watched it over 30 times, easily, but every time I start season 2 I just remember how good it is. Honestly front to back my top season of TV ever made and it’s not close. there’s candidates but from like the first montage with Sinatra playing its the best.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Who says Tony isn't in touch with his kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNVpABa0VY&t=51s

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Matt Zerella posted:

Ive watched it over 30 times, easily, but every time I start season 2 I just remember how good it is. Honestly front to back my top season of TV ever made and it’s not close. there’s candidates but from like the first montage with Sinatra playing its the best.

I think s2 of the sopranos is what every other prestige show is aiming for. It is pretty much perfect, and has every element of the show working together in sync.

Richie is a great antagonist, Janice is a perfect irritant for Tony, the surreal stuff in Funhouse is perfectly captured, and it has a double whammy ending with Richie and Big Pussy.

I think that the later seasons had some of the strongest individual episodes, but as a whole you can’t beat s2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Season 2 is probably the strongest. If for no other reason than the sudden Richie resolution

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Season 2 is probably the strongest. If for no other reason than the sudden Richie resolution

I remember reading even Gandolfini wanted Richie to stick around longer but they decided Tony keeping around somebody so clearly openly hostile towards him was too much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gotta nip it in da bud

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dawgstar posted:

I remember reading even Gandolfini wanted Richie to stick around longer but they decided Tony keeping around somebody so clearly openly hostile towards him was too much.
It got pretty insane that he was just openly challenging Tony almost non-stop

This is on top of him also attempting to murder Beansy

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If Tony had just liked his jacket, everything would have been fine......

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
It really feels like what prestige tv should be - all the positive qualities of a good movie but with more time to explore characters and small moments

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that ridiculous hairdo on richie jr is something else

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Richie's 'Manson lamps' after his son says "Glad for you, dad"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I love season 6 Angie so much.

Carm walking around showing off her tacky Porsche Cayenne and she's like "gently caress that poo poo I bought myself a Vette"

Lmbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“Look at the latest station wagon Tony bought for me” vs “I just bought myself a Z06 with cash”