Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I brought my Drake posted:

Am I the only person hoping for a Peter Cushing card?

Yes but tarken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hope he can take a vacation soon, he seems to be getting really defensive and angry about internet comments lately. Someone called him a hypocrite in a recent whatnot stream and he spent the next 40 minutes angrily muttering about it.

Then he posted that video about the angel commander deck where created a fiction about it selling out too fast to put a timely video about it after someone commented on the lack of a video.

Rest won't fix that. YouTube breaks people, and streaming breaks them worse.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think it's because the Lord of the Rings art was it's own thing, they didn't try to look like the movies or even necessarily the book descriptions. Dr. Who on the other hand is pictures that are meant to look like specific real people and moments from the show.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I hope some of the cards end up being "okay" and not overly powerful since I doubt they'll be reprinted anytime soon.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i think they said that the non-secret lair UB cards could be put in the list down the line, but i don't remember where...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can see UB cards getting reprints in the same way Transformers stuff was slotted into Brothers' War boosters.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They just reskinned Rick and co

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

A card with a name like “Gelgerzeth, Prismari Chronologist” with the type Legendary Creature - Time Lord Doctor.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

HootTheOwl posted:

They just reskinned Rick and co

Those were secret lairs though, back when they had a much shorter purchase window

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Framboise posted:

I can see UB cards getting reprints in the same way Transformers stuff was slotted into Brothers' War boosters.

They've said UB will get reprints in the Beyond Boosters coming this Spring with Assassins Creed UB. The way they made it sound it'll be like epilogue boosters. 5 cards in a pack, 2-3 will be Assassins Creed the rest will be UB reprints.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've said UB will get reprints in the Beyond Boosters coming this Spring with Assassins Creed UB. The way they made it sound it'll be like epilogue boosters. 5 cards in a pack, 2-3 will be Assassins Creed the rest will be UB reprints.

:wtc: Why the hell are we regressing further back than what original booster packs had???

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

!Klams posted:

/edit: A shameful snipe, so here's some more content: Is there some lore reason between the two collector numbers on the sonic screwdriver? I'm guessing that's to do with 'polarity' or something?

I'm seeing three different ones (184, 185, 186), one for each non-villain deck. Technically, they represent different objects in-universe, because the Doctor's had at least four different sonic screwdrivers due to them being lost or destroyed and replaced. 2-5 had one, 8-12 had one, 12 had a second one (which seems to be the one that doesn't have a card, since the 12/13 card has art for 13's screwdriver), and 13+ have the last one. There have been more than that many designs/props for it too; in the new series, the screwdriver seems to regenerate with the Doctor.

I don't know if that really explains for why the collector numbers would be different, but that's the best I can offer.

edit: also its abilities should have a "non-Treefolk" targeting restriction :goonsay:

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 5, 2023

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jiro posted:

:wtc: Why the hell are we regressing further back than what original booster packs had???

ABU packs were 15 cards, the 8 card boosters were introduced with Arabian Nights

but yeah those are bullshit lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
MtG needs a megablocks that sells the same game pieces but their cards but don't use official magic art or their licensing deals and just have public domain comic characters instead, so you can get em cheap at Ross.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

rickiep00h posted:

Rest won't fix that. YouTube breaks people, and streaming breaks them worse.

This. I want Prof to get that bag but he needs to make sure he doesn't get burned out by the grind. Farming Whatnot's venture capital before the site goes under is absolutely the right financial move but it can't be good for your mental health to associate yourself with that pile of trash and the backlash that comes with it

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Khanstant posted:

MtG needs a megablocks that sells the same game pieces but their cards but don't use official magic art or their licensing deals and just have public domain comic characters instead, so you can get em cheap at Ross.

Liliana of the Veil except it's Phantomah.

I think you're onto something here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lmao aftermath was the unset. Magic is all ub now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Katana Gomai posted:

This. I want Prof to get that bag but he needs to make sure he doesn't get burned out by the grind. Farming Whatnot's venture capital before the site goes under is absolutely the right financial move but it can't be good for your mental health to associate yourself with that pile of trash and the backlash that comes with it

I'm starting to think turning people's passions into their jobs was a bad idea

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

He puts out so much content, and I think he does it all out of his house, so it seems like he's always hosting other content creators who fly out for a weekend to film something. That's gotta be rough.

I remember after they filmed their Flesh and Blood video (?), Amazonian was stuck there because her flight got delayed for what ended up being 20 hours, so she just decided to stream from his place. He didn't have arena updated, so she just took a box of WoE she had and decided to play "flip it or rip it" on stream. GermanGaryOak was there too for some reason.

She ended up ripping 2 Agatha's Soul Cauldrons, it was amazing.

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoistColdbloodedSowTinyFace-nhIrtZrHcA3VQFCZ

This was roughly 6:30am on a weekday.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TotalHell posted:

A card with a name like “Gelgerzeth, Prismari Chronologist” with the type Legendary Creature - Time Lord Doctor.

They actually would probably change the creature type to one thats treated exactly the same, some wotc person said that reprint cards wouldnt be allowed to have copyrighted stuff like that

I get why this is but it is really dumb

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This plan was probably already past the point of no return by the time they found out that Aftermath was a disaster and people don't want that type of product. Hopefully it'll be the last time they do tiny boosters.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
hahaha the job market is so hosed

i just saw an internal posting at my company for a $43,000 / year position, masters degree preferred.

im gonna hold on, like grim death, to my job i got when the job market was only kinda hosed

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Magic’s own ip has never been good and I haven’t been into it but have liked the gameplay enough to stay around. The universe beyond stuff has been extremely cringe top to bottom though. Nobody actually liked ready player 1 but it’s what we are getting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Nastier Nate posted:

hahaha the job market is so hosed

i just saw an internal posting at my company for a $43,000 / year position, masters degree preferred.

im gonna hold on, like grim death, to my job i got when the job market was only kinda hosed

drat, working for WOTC sucks

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Question re: Doctor’s Companion. Is it based on creature type “Doctor”? Or is it specific to creatures with “Doctor” in their name? Or is it specifically just the The Xth Doctor cards?

Can I use a doctor’s companion with Morophon? With the Fugitive Doctor?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Question re: Doctor’s Companion. Is it based on creature type “Doctor”? Or is it specific to creatures with “Doctor” in their name? Or is it specifically just the The Xth Doctor cards?

Can I use a doctor’s companion with Morophon? With the Fugitive Doctor?

I think it was clarified somewhere on Twitter that they can only partner specifically with "Time Lord Doctor".

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Time posted:

Magic’s own ip has never been good and I haven’t been into it but have liked the gameplay enough to stay around. The universe beyond stuff has been extremely cringe top to bottom though. Nobody actually liked ready player 1 but it’s what we are getting

Yup, obviously the designers love Dr who a bunch, but these decks and all of the UB stuff feel like stuff a fanboy cranked out of mrtcardsmith.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Snuff Out reprint! It was like $11.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Framboise posted:

I think it was clarified somewhere on Twitter that they can only partner specifically with "Time Lord Doctor".

Yeah, there's also a mechanics article on the Magic homepage that goes over new stuff.

Doctor's companion means you can have the creature as a second Commander, but only alongside a Legendary Creature - Time Lord Doctor with no other creature types.

The article also clarifies that if a player is forced to make a villainous choice, they get to pick either option, even if one of them would mechanically do nothing. For example if I'm play Davros and I force Framboise to choose between them discarding a card or me drawing a card, they can still choose the discard option even if their hand is already empty.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

HootTheOwl posted:

drat, working for WOTC sucks

oh i posted in the wrong thread didnt i.

still an interesting post

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Should have made it mechanically simple on the card with "Will not partner with brushwaggs".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Snuff Out reprint! It was like $11.

This would look 100x cooler without those dumb faces

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I need snuff out, but, uh...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Time posted:

yeah but I recognize thing. I point and I clap when I recognize thing

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well on the plus side, Snuff Out is a scarcity play and people are about to flood the market with copies cracking CEs looking for the alternate Doctors.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My LGS is offering a 10% discount for preorders for the next few days, stackable with the 20% member discount. All it really means is that their prices are more in line with online sellers. I did preorder a thing just to make sure I got copies of the promos, but the owner was visibly disappointed that I only gave him money for one thing instead of all the things. Dude, you spent my last two preorders on payroll and ordered product like three days before release. I'm not underwriting your bad management choices anymore.

Also joined a buyer's club two days after the LCI order cutoff. :argh:

Now I'm just waiting for Pepper Crab's LCI preorders to go live.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Much as I like Doctor Who, some of the art for these cards is pretty rough.

I'm just taking it as a tongue in cheek reference to how lovely some of the special effects/creature designs look in the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The ceiling on card art quality is drastically lower in sets where the artists need to match actors' likenesses. Pretty much anyway it shakes out, if they are trying to depict specific actors and faces that card art just can only ever look so mediocre.
They probably should done it LotR style and let the artist reimagine the characters and such.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

I brought my Drake posted:

... . Dude, you spent my last two preorders on payroll and ordered product like three days before release. I'm not underwriting your bad management choices anymore.
Sounds like your lgs is about to close.
Personally, I'd be wary of pre-ordering anything else from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Much as I like Doctor Who, some of the art for these cards is pretty rough.

I'm just taking it as a tongue in cheek reference to how lovely some of the special effects/creature designs look in the show.

It would look a whole lot better if theyd been allowed to stylize a bit more, as you say the lovely special effects can be kinda charming on the tv while looking just bad as an actual art piece