Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wayne is problematic, but Brandon very much knows this, and the text acknowledges it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Short version: Regardless of where in the Mistborn timeline Secret History occurs, and the answer is "yes, Secret History occurs well before Bands," the information from that novella would spoil some of the better events in Bands. So it's best read afterwards.

Oh meant more release order feels like I read that like after the first era 2 book.

Torrannor posted:

Wayne is problematic, but Brandon very much knows this, and the text acknowledges it.

Yeah his whole deal still gets a little old though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

socialsecurity posted:

Oh meant more release order feels like I read that like after the first era 2 book.

Secret History came out basically concurrently with Bands of Mourning, with Sanderson spreading the message not to read it before finishing BoM.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't think this is a spoiler but just in case, chronologically, Secret History is a retelling of the events of the first trilogy from a very different perspective. But it spoils a huge reveal in Bands of Mourning, so it shouldn't be read until after that. Basically after Bands of Mourning drops its big plot bomb and you're going "wait, what? how?", Secret History is the flashback that immediately answers your questions.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Secret history was released as a little bonus either the same day or the week after bands. It makes sense to pick it up right after.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Just finished tearing through SP4 and lol, we were all speculating so intensely about Zellion, thinking he might be Odium's champion, but nope, [first spoiler] was Sigzil all along, and we still have no clue who Odium's champion is/was/will be

Also, "Adonalsium-Will-Remember-Our-Plight-Eventualy" is practically Pratchettian and I love it.

edited for clarity

Anshu fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 4, 2023

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
On my first re-read of Warbreaker and I now imagine Nightblood’s voice as Rich Evans rather than Ralph Wiggum.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm not reading the above spoiler because I haven't read SP4 yet but just seeing what was spoilered annoys me. This is what I was worried about when it first got announced -- it was either going to have to blow plot points from SA5 or spend the whole book tapdancing around them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not reading the above spoiler because I haven't read SP4 yet but just seeing what was spoilered annoys me. This is what I was worried about when it first got announced -- it was either going to have to blow plot points from SA5 or spend the whole book tapdancing around them.

I think people quoting from SP4 should be much more careful about spoilers, the spoiler bar should go from the first spoilered word to the end of the post, with no unspoilered part in between.

That said, you can rest easy. The identity of Odium's champion has not been revealed in SP4.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Boy I love when something exciting is happening in a story and instead of continuing that exciting event, we instead get an intensely boring flashback that kills all pacing and momentum.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Boy I love when something exciting is happening in a story and instead of continuing that exciting event, we instead get an intensely boring flashback that kills all pacing and momentum.

It's called a cliffhanger and its supposed to make you want to hang tight so you will watch advertising

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mewse posted:

It's called a cliffhanger and its supposed to make you want to hang tight so you will watch advertising

So this just come down to my own personal oddities, I think. I generally hate flashbacks and I absolutely hate prequels. Just completely loathe them. Anything that takes me out of the "now" of a story just bores me to tears.

Like, if we're hopping between characters for dramatic cliffhangers, like going from what Kaladin is doing to what Shallan is doing, I don't mind that. We're still in the "now." The story is still moving forward. Flashbacks cannot move a story forward. They can give context. They can give details. But by their very nature, they already happened, so the action of the "now" is not moving forward. They kill the pacing of the "now."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Agree to disagree, I don't feel there's a "now" to a book, only pieces of a larger puzzle that are put together in no particular chronological order. Dalinar's flashbacks are extremely important later on.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

So this just come down to my own personal oddities, I think. I generally hate flashbacks and I absolutely hate prequels. Just completely loathe them. Anything that takes me out of the "now" of a story just bores me to tears.

Like, if we're hopping between characters for dramatic cliffhangers, like going from what Kaladin is doing to what Shallan is doing, I don't mind that. We're still in the "now." The story is still moving forward. Flashbacks cannot move a story forward. They can give context. They can give details. But by their very nature, they already happened, so the action of the "now" is not moving forward. They kill the pacing of the "now."

I'm really looking forward to your Oathbringer reactions. I'm generally also somebody who gets annoyed about certain flashbacks, but Oathbringer was the first book where I was annoyed that the story went back to the "present". Which is insane in a way, because the story in Oathbringer is also top notch.

Did you ever read The Wheel of Time? Because the OB flashbacks compete with the Rhuidean flashbacks for me, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

But enough about Rhythm of War dohohohohohoho I will never stop making this joke

Mordiceius posted:

Flashbacks cannot move a story forward.
That's what you think!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Agree to disagree, I don't feel there's a "now" to a book, only pieces of a larger puzzle that are put together in no particular chronological order. Dalinar's flashbacks are extremely important later on.

Yeah, it just comes to my own personal oddities with this stuff. I'm not saying any one way is right or wrong. There are just ways that work better for my extremely dumb extremely broken brain.

I'd always prefer to see things "as they happen" so to speak. I always want the story to be "moving forward" - even if that "moving forward" is the characters hitting a wall of progress.

I honestly don't mind very short flashback here or there. I don't like when 25% of a book is flashbacks. (I know WoK isn't quite that bad. I'm exaggerating to a degree.).

At least flashbacks for me aren't as bad as prequels. Making a prequel story (whether it is a book, film, show, or game) is the fastest way to kill absolute any interest I have. I feel like so many prequels get too up their own rear end. "Oh the heroes of this story are actually the parents of the heroes of the original story. I am very creative."

But then again, I'm a loving hypocrite because I still have a fondness for :lost: - but then again, maybe that's proof that flashbacks are bad.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
WoK spoilers only, safe for Mordiceius

I feel like the flashbacks are probably better on rereads where you have all the context and your own personal "now" is multiple books in the future anyway. There's not the same stakes in flashbacks either, you know where the characters end up. Like for most of Kaladin's you're just waiting for him to get to being a soldier instead of a surgeon, since we already know that change happens before the present day chapters. The how/why is interesting but that takes forever to get to. The most interesting "flashbacks" are Dalinar's visions since they aren't even his own life, they're flashbacks to some thousands of years ago and expand upon the lore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

WoK spoilers only, safe for Mordiceius

I completely agree. I feel like the Kaladin flashbacks are just a bunch of me going "COME ON HURRY UP ALREADY." I don't need to see a bunch of Kaladin flashbacks of Lighteyes treating Darkeyes poorly because I already see that in Kaladin's present. The Dalinar stuff loving slaps though - like everything with Dalinar.

I think one of the biggest annoyances to me is taking the "how did Kaladin go from squad commander to slave" and cutting it for what I assume will be a flashback. I hope there is a good reason for that because it feels so completely unnecessary at this point.

Torrannor posted:

Did you ever read The Wheel of Time? Because the OB flashbacks compete with the Rhuidean flashbacks for me, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

I've mentioned in the past that I have a theory about teenage boys that read fantasy novels. The journey of fantasy novels is a long, twisting road. But along that journey, most will come to a fork in the road.

One path of the fork is a bit bumpy, sometimes boring, sometimes a bit too long, but overall fairly harmless. And it comes with a good payoff. This road is The Wheel of Time.

The second path is more devious. It starts off looking like the first path. But then it quickly veers into something dark and sinister. Bad philosophy and even worse gender representation. And a chicken that isn't a chicken. This road is The Sword of Truth.

I did not choose wisely.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

I'm really looking forward to your Oathbringer reactions. I'm generally also somebody who gets annoyed about certain flashbacks, but Oathbringer was the first book where I was annoyed that the story went back to the "present". Which is insane in a way, because the story in Oathbringer is also top notch.

Yeah Oathbringer really has the best flashbacks and they are used the best as well it really is probably the best use of them I've ever seen in the genre.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

And a chicken that isn't a chicken.

lmao

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

if you know, you know

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

if you know, you know

Oh, I never read The Sword of Truth. :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I think one of the biggest annoyances to me is taking the "how did Kaladin go from squad commander to slave" and cutting it for what I assume will be a flashback. I hope there is a good reason for that because it feels so completely unnecessary at this point.
Oh, there's a very, very good reason.

Also, if you've watched Lost, you should know perfectly well that flashbacks can advance a story. Imagine if you never knew Locke was in a wheelchair before he came to the island, or if Penny didn't exist.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Oh, I never read The Sword of Truth. :)

I did! I was young and dumb and read basically any fantasy. And the politics flew over my head as a young non-American. But I finished the series (before Terry made sequels) out of sunk cost fallacy. The worst part is that there were some cool ideas in there, but the bad far outweighs the good.

As for the flashbacks, I don't bother with Kaladin's flashbacks on rereads any more. They are just not exciting, and I fully understand Mordiceius' struggle.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

I apologize, I posted in excitement and then pretty much immediately passed out. Nothing is said about the identity of Odium's champion one way or the other in SP4.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Odiums champion is, as is traditional for jrpg settings, some random giant monster we never heard of before

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

I apologize, I posted in excitement and then pretty much immediately passed out. Nothing is said about the identity of Odium's champion one way or the other in SP4.
Oh, no, don't take it that you annoyed me by spoiler-tagging improperly. I was just annoyed because I thought based on your post that it was said, and like I posted, SP4 had my antenna up from the moment it was announced as a "is it seriously a good idea to release this before SP5" thing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Odiums champion is, as is traditional for jrpg settings, some random giant monster we never heard of before

yep. its a greatshell with a railgun and a feudal title

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't remember does Roshar have a moon?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

Neo Stormlight Corrupted Bahamut - 9,999,999 HP, five shardblades, can freely go in and out of Shadesmar

scary ghost dog posted:

lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Three

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

socialsecurity posted:

Several

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Is this... carapace gear?!?!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Mordiceius posted:

if you know, you know

Much to my regret, I do know. I was at least quick enough on the uptake that two pages into the second book I was like "OK this is clearly bullshit, are you telling me it just so happens that nobody mentioned this kind of important, omnipresent, dangerous thing that everyone already knows about?" I still read the second and third book because I still thought maybe some interesting plot stuff would happen, but, uh...it didn't. Had a bonus flashback of my own when I read Deathly Hallows about a decade later, though!

Also I missed Steris chat because I was mainlining SP4, but she is my favorite person in the Cosmere and I will never miss a chance to mention it. I do agree that Wayne was juuuuust on the edge of too annoying for me for basically all of Mistborn Era 2, but I came around. I think Sando's too mature now to just let someone who's supposed to be likeable stay like that forever.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Roshar has 3 moons. One is violet, one is blue and one is green. Or they just glow with that color, it’s unclear. Yes this has significance but Brandon got ahead of himself and didn’t think things through so the explanation makes no sense

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"These moons don't work out, like, astronomically."

Brandon: :yeah:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One thing that really doesn't make astronomical sense is the world with the white supergiant star, that is also tidally locked to it.

1. super giant white star won't live long enough for life to develop on a planet of it
2. it would have to be so far out that it would not be tidally locked to it (habitable zone would be somewhere around pluto or further out)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

His Divine Shadow posted:

One thing that really doesn't make astronomical sense is the world with the white supergiant star, that is also tidally locked to it.

1. super giant white star won't live long enough for life to develop on a planet of it
2. it would have to be so far out that it would not be tidally locked to it (habitable zone would be somewhere around pluto or further out)

White Sand and Mistborn spoilers: Khriss and Nazh speculate that Ruin and Preservation created Scadrial itself. Plus all life on it, including humans. So it's not out of the question that Autonomy made Taldain. And since the sun itself is apparently invested, said investiture might make it possible for Taldain to be habitable closer to it. Or Autonomy created the planet already tidally locked to it's star, even if it's too far out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

His Divine Shadow posted:

Assume that its only white due to the investiture, and that it would be a more normal sun without magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mistborn Bands of Mourning Prologue & Chapters 5-16 (Part 2)

I really enjoyed Wax and Steris in this part of the book. There's still some bumps, like Wax trying to comfort Steris about how often they'll need to try for a kid and totally bombing it, but Steris turned up huge multiple times. She is able to fill in his gaps of the basin political map, but really sneaking in a gun for him and literally vomiting to help him out was just the right weird kind of romantic to get him to bring her up above the mists and actually kiss her.

On the other hand, Wayne and MeLaan headed straight for home base, which is on brand for them I feel. It sorta made me think about how freaky sex with a kandra could probably get, especially with her changing genders later on. Have fun with that thought. I was worried Steris would be the 5th wheel of crime fighting, but Marasi is more left out in romantic terms than Steris is for crime fighting.

The train robbery is later revealed to just be a ruse to distract Wax, but the small metal cube is definitely very interesting. I'm still not sure if it just nullified Wax's Allomancy or actually transferred it to the 7 foot guy he fought. He was also a coinshot and used Wax's move with the metal push bubble.

The broadsheets say there's aliens, VenDell describes something similar, and honestly I think they're probably right. The broadsheet clip sure sounded like the pool Hoid used on Elantris to worldhop. The closest thing I can think of to the figure described is
(Words of Radiance spoiler} Shallan's friend Iyatil and her mask. Either that or some form of the Parshendi. (Words of Radiance spoiler}

Speaking of Hoid, he showed up again neither Was nor Steris recognized him as their coachman from the previous book. He also gave Wax a coin that was probably from the Conventical of Seran. I'm guessing that's where the building site is too.

The dark skinned "Terris" scientist lady felt... suspiciously like maybe she wasn't actually Terris. Or even from Scadrial. She referred to Scadrial as a local region, so she's aware of other worlds. I'm extremely curious how she or really anyone would have actual stats on how many Crashers exist. That feels like some Seventeenth Shard level poo poo.

Devlin saying that the people Wax is after won't be dangerous for decades or centuries lends more credibility to the allomancy breeding program idea, if for just breeding or fodder for hemalurgy, I don't know. He also asked questions about people living outside of the Basin and even the roughs. I thought everyone Sazed saved was in the Field of Rebirth, so either that's not true or some people really took off and settled somewhere else. That seems like a bit much for this book though.

Wax being confused by the telephone was funny, but Edwarn has had like three plans in a row just not work out. The train, Ape Manton, and now framing Wax for murder. He's been less than effective at distracting and killing Wax. He's gonna have to get a win soon or die and let someone more threatening take over.

Wax picks up the gold bracelet metalmind, then goes out into the mists, THEN his hand heals. That was quite confusing to me. If it was after he got the bracelet I could say that maybe it's the theory they came up with that an unkeyed metalmind could be used by anyone, but it was specifically when he went into the mists and the metalmind was in his pocket. My main theory is that Sazed just healed him, otherwise Wax was burning the mists as pewter, which he shouldn't be able to do unless Sazed specifically wanted it to work that way.

Where is Marsh and when am I going to learn more about Trell? Also with all Marsh's spikes, can Trell control him like Ruin did, or does he need Trellium spikes to control someone?

Progress so far: