Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Harry Kim wakes up in SF was a decent episode. Last few have been weak so low bar and all. This is next. It sounds cool but we'll see:

E6 · Twisted
45 min · Oct 2, 1995

A spatial distortion phenomenon occurring inside the ship changes Voyager's structural layout by twisting and compressing it.

:lol: -

S2 E7 · Parturition
45 min · Oct 9, 1995

During a shuttle mission to replenish food supplies, Neelix and Lt. Paris discover an embryonic pod and become caretakers of the hatching infant.

Also from a page back I don't think Kes is a bad character. Maybe bland and made worse by her association with Neelix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

janeway hungers for vaporized blood

was it just that they were producing too much at once, that they did so badly with her?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Powered Descent posted:

It was like 25 years after the movie came out before I found out that the name Colonel West was a jab against Colonel Oliver North.

It was like almost 32 years after the movie came out before I found out this factoid.

Oh man, I'm old AND dumb. What a combination.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Admiralty Flag posted:

It was like almost 32 years after the movie came out before I found out this factoid.

The worst part about being old is that you just get stupider. If you go into old age already stupid, well…

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

this is me finding this out

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love that the operation retrieve chart was on paper

Like that poo poo was anachronistic even in 91, did Starfleet run out of all those lovely rear projection machines from high school or something

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kes is a bad character because her very concept is so incredibly bad that it poisons anything else she ever does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

protodependency posted:

i made this for a friend, but i figured I would share it

https://youtu.be/jz9Gjjy6sRM?si=bnLDzgj_XXl_YkBd
thank you for your service

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tighclops posted:

I love that the operation retrieve chart was on paper

Like that poo poo was anachronistic even in 91, did Starfleet run out of all those lovely rear projection machines from high school or something

And the fact they gave the President a briefing on a proposed top secret covert ops mission that would almost certainly start a war if discovered...

...with the Romulan ambassador present in the room.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I always hated the universal translator because TUD already had a much better explanation with the trial scene with the Nuremberg headphones showing that obviously everyone is speaking X language, we just hear English as the audience. It doesn’t leave nearly as many holes as the universal translator which causes more narrative problems than it solves.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The best solution to different languages in fiction is “they speak English, whatever who gives a gently caress”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tigey posted:

And the fact they gave the President a briefing on a proposed top secret covert ops mission that would almost certainly start a war if discovered...

...with the Romulan ambassador present in the room.

who would believe him? He's a Romulan

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I appreciate the Star Wars method where there's several languages and most people are at least somewhat multilingual, because it means that we sometimes get a guy pleasantly chatting in English with a barking dog.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best Neelix moment after Tuvix is in Season 4 E 12 Mortal Coil because he dies and if you just turn it off right then and skip all the way to the last episode its like he never came back

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Even Nelix's subconscious thinks he should die.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wasn't there a Stargate SG-1 behind-the-scenes video where one of the actors read a letter from a fan asking why everyone on every planet spoke English, and they answered something like "Oh god, somebody noticed it, [Showrunner], you promised us no one would NOTICE that, what the hell do we even DO now?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The episode of Voyager where Kim takes command of an alien ship feels like a plotline written for Neelix in mind.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Another Voyager episode, more Neelix jealously. But, Paris gave Kes a necklace with a locket on it. That’s a really personal gift and not cool. I guess he’s messing with Neelix.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

I appreciate the Star Wars method where there's several languages and most people are at least somewhat multilingual, because it means that we sometimes get a guy pleasantly chatting in English with a barking dog.

I love the Lower Decks parts where they have guys pleasantly chatting with a chirping beluga.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Trek would do even better with the Star Wars multilingual method, as proven by Darmok and the fact that Klingon is an actual fleshed out language

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
has clint howard been in every star trek series or is it only tos, ds9 and snw?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

has clint howard been in every star trek series or is it only tos, ds9 and snw?

Also Star Trek Discovery as a weird alien pervert

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

davidspackage posted:

I'm without honor, but I figure those Klingon knives are best for corridor combat.

Worf prefers the mek'leth and spends most of his time in corridor world, so perhaps that backs up the theory

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

You could probably retcon bat'leth as being a poo poo design because they arent actually designed for killing. Klingons love dying in battle. If you want to poo poo on your enemies, you maim and disable them and take them prisoner. You want them alive. To conquer them. So the bat'leth is a heavy sorta blunt bad at stabbing piece of poo poo because its designed to NOT kill your enemies, just to gently caress up their day while you laugh in their face and take over because you're the bigger badder more honorable warrior.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bat'leth is a lovely ceremonial weapon that doesn't really work but it doesn't matter because you only ever use it against other Bat'leths or when you're showing off. If you want to have a serious fight with a better weapon you use a mek'leth.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The bat'leth might be useful if you could split it in two for double stabby stab times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

The Bat'leth is a lovely ceremonial weapon that doesn't really work but it doesn't matter because you only ever use it against other Bat'leths or when you're showing off. If you want to have a serious fight with a better weapon you use a mek'leth.

Duras when Worf challenges him: wtf is this guy serious, I've never used one of these holky gently caress

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The bat'leth might be useful if you could split it in two for double stabby stab times.

Pretty sure that's exactly how Worf killed Gowron.

And more or less how Kang killed the Albino.

For a space sword those bat'leths seem to shatter really easily.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

MikeJF posted:

Maybe that's what made Kahless so special. He achieved WHAT? with THAT piece of crap? Now we have no choice but to honour him by using it all the time? Ugh fine

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Wasn't there a Stargate SG-1 behind-the-scenes video where one of the actors read a letter from a fan asking why everyone on every planet spoke English, and they answered something like "Oh god, somebody noticed it, [Showrunner], you promised us no one would NOTICE that, what the hell do we even DO now?"

They could have done something like Farscape and just say that going through the stargate automagically implanted nanobots/microbes/midichlorian/magic spores in your brain

Bing bong so simple

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hollismason posted:

The wormhole aliens probably deposited Sisko 1000 years back in the past because they don't understand time.

Like commander Sinclair in Babylon 5?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
turns out a bat'leth is actually just a really badly designed toothpick

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Badly designed for modern Klingon biology, maybe.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

They could have done something like Farscape and just say that going through the stargate automagically implanted nanobots/microbes/midichlorian/magic spores in your brain

Bing bong so simple

IIRC he got injected by translator microbes at the start by the crew and slowly started understanding their alien gobbledygook. I appreciate when the language issue is addressed from the start as part of the world building. Even if it is just a babelfish.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, I can accept a macguffin universal translator, but for some reason just not even acknowledging there'd be different languages bothers me

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
All aliens of the same species speak the same language. Always hate that trope.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Short and heartfelt interview with Stewart.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/04/1203298903/patrick-stewart-star-trek-ministry-picard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People call Neelix a pedo but give Tom Paris a pass and he seems like he's constantly trying to gently caress her.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
sure, but not just her. he's constantly trying to gently caress anything that might have a pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghostlight posted:

my favourite thing about tng is how i remember like only half of these episodes.

I know, right. And it's not like we watched the episodes once and forgot. The season would be rerun over the summer. I think TNG was in syndication from the beginning? Real early on anyway. There were various star trek reruns on every night of the week from the late 90s on -- you might not be paying full attention to reruns but they were on all the time.