Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

euphronius posted:

Poe is on those Platforms and has inane mob density

poe is also from a decade ago with indie graphics that match those times. the nvidia 700 series cards and 4k series cpu's came out that same year. the best hardware from that year is like a quarter of the power of a mid grade current gen machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Even after the s1 density patch plenty of areas still had gaps.

I am really happy with the updates for season 2 and it seems like we're going to get a game to make most people happy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Tonetta posted:

poe is also from a decade ago with indie graphics that match those times. the nvidia 700 series cards and 4k series cpu's came out that same year. the best hardware from that year is like a quarter of the power of a mid grade current gen machine

It also is optimized like total rear end whereas D4 was buttery smooth no matter what was going on.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

Wow they actually put dudes who want the game to be fun in charge this time around, wild

I'm convinced Blizzard has a new dev team and a post release team - and the latter actually knows how to make a game fun.

Scoss posted:

All these changes sound great. It's not going to silver-bullet fix everything in one patch but it's all good to see.

Of course not - we've got vampires

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Didn't catch the stream live but these all sound like decent changes to streamline the experience. I'm glad they are reversing course from whatever their launch philosophy was instead of dragging this out for years before admitting defeat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just hopped in to check on my (not even capped) S1 character

The core loop of 'do thing, come back to town, spend 10 minutes staring at lovely affixes' completely and instantly killed my desire to play

I'm going to check out S2 for sure, but until they fix that fundamental gameflow problem, I don't see myself sticking with it, and that's probably going to take a few more seasons minimum, if not the full expansion pack treatment

They either need comprehensive loot filtering or a total rethink of items and affixes (or both, I'm fine with both)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

lmao what the gently caress blizzard

Well that kills it for my friends, and I probably won't play if they don't play so rip

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Mikojan posted:

Well that kills it for my friends, and I probably won't play if they don't play so rip

Not sure if the stream was inaccurate, the news article has been updated, or that person was trolling, but it's false:

quote:

This also applies to Hardcore characters. If renown rewards were earned on a Hardcore character in Season of the Malignant, those earned rewards persist for a new Hardcore character in Season of Blood regardless of whether your previous Hardcore character died.
- For Hardcore characters, Altars of Lilith and Map Discovery progress still carries over within the Hardcore realm.
- Similar to Season of the Malignant, Altars of Lilith and Map Discovery progress for Hardcore characters that died before Season of the Malignant will not persist for Season of Blood.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24009151/descend-into-the-diablo-iv-developer-update-livestream

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nevermind

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 5, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

victrix posted:

The core loop of 'do thing, come back to town, spend 10 minutes staring at lovely affixes' completely and instantly killed my desire to play

I'm going to check out S2 for sure, but until they fix that fundamental gameflow problem, I don't see myself sticking with it, and that's probably going to take a few more seasons minimum, if not the full expansion pack treatment

They either need comprehensive loot filtering or a total rethink of items and affixes (or both, I'm fine with both)

Yeah. The whole town loop needs to become effortlessly breezy. Friends I played with sometimes spent 10 - 20 minutes doing the routine playing splitscreen on their PS5.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

victrix posted:

The sorting gameplay loop is my least favorite part of the game, but they announced a few changes to deal with this issue.

- In World Tier III: Normal, Magic, and non-sacred Rare items will drop as crafting resources.
- In World Tier IV: Normal, Magic, and non-ancestral Rare items will drop as crafting resources.
- Higher level monsters in World Tiers III and IV drop Sacred and Ancestral items of greater Item Power potential.

basically you'll just be looting a lot less garbage and as you fight higher level monsters the ilvl of the items they drop is higher so you'll actually see upgrades from 70-100.

it's not the itemization overhaul we all want, but it's a step in the right direction.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

victrix posted:

They mentioned that "loot filters are a thing that arpg fans like and we recognize that" hinting more or less it's coming, but beyond that, I suggest when you go back to only look at the top 2 pieces of gear for each type and if it ever hits 2 bad lines, stop reading and move on. I was able to get this process down to like 30 seconds on a full inventory, including the sell off and extra loading screens involved going to town

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd legit have the next dungeon half done before my buddies were done their town shiz some people are slow as hell

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

They still need to remove garbage affixes and buff uniques (which I'm hopeful they've done). Also another way to level up glyphs

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MrMidnight posted:

They still need to remove garbage affixes and buff uniques (which I'm hopeful they've done). Also another way to level up glyphs

Or make garbage affixes the cool affixes if you do x, y, and z. Idk. Make a unique weapon that scales with light radius or some poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

I'm not optimistic because at one point the Largest Joe was saying something about how Dungeons are 'core to Diablo's identity' and they want to give people a reason to keep doing them. He was also talking like NMDs are something the team genuinely seems to enjoy doing, so I don't see glyphs changing any time soon.

My solution would be to have every activity drop a curency (lets call them runes), and you can only use the runes at the runestone at the end of NMDs to 'cash in' for extra glyph XP.

That way you're still giving people progress for doing non-NMD content, but they do still have to do an NMD to cash it in. It would also feel pretty amazing when you do finish one and drop like a week's worth of runes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I understand the endgame is very rigidly defined and not particularly interesting but you guys really gotta stop exaggerating the “sorting through items in town” part.

Click to sort by type.
Check the power of the top item, if it’s higher than what you’re currently using, see if it has good rolls.
Delete everything to the right of that item.

It takes like 30 seconds longer than just clicking sell all. If sorting through a full inventory looking for upgrades after a dungeon takes you 10 minutes you may be doing something wrong.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah you could do that but ilvl isn't that relevant to most of the slots and stats so

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

American McGay posted:

I understand the endgame is very rigidly defined and not particularly interesting but you guys really gotta stop exaggerating the “sorting through items in town” part.

Click to sort by type.
Check the power of the top item, if it’s higher than what you’re currently using, see if it has good rolls.

It takes like 30 seconds longer than just clicking sell all. If sorting through a full inventory looking for upgrades after a dungeon takes you 10 minutes you may be doing something wrong.

Wow thanks, glad it’s just us being bad and not the terrible itemization, unclear modifiers and awful inventory.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I got really good at the 30 second full inventory town blitz and it still sucks to do, cannot wait for the changes to WT only dropping tiers that matter.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ehud posted:

XP bonuses now multiplicative

oh thank god

!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

flashman posted:

Yeah you could do that but ilvl isn't that relevant to most of the slots and stats so

Rings, amulets, and maybe gloves are the only slots where ilvl is irrelevant (and not totally irrelevant, it's just not significantly relevant as long as it is above 725).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Swilo posted:

Not sure if the stream was inaccurate, the news article has been updated, or that person was trolling, but it's false:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24009151/descend-into-the-diablo-iv-developer-update-livestream

This still looks confusing even with the update.

Are hardcore players limited to map and statues only or not?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
4/4 lower ilvl armor that's above 725 is still going to beat most 3/4 armors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

George H.W. oval office posted:

This still looks confusing even with the update.

Are hardcore players limited to map and statues only or not?

Everything carries over for Hardcore players between seasons, but it only counts alive characters.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

American McGay posted:

Click to sort by type.

You've proven your resilience to lovely design time and time again and it's really impressive.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Look man I never said it wasn’t lovely, just that it doesn’t take 10 minutes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Your strategy also throws away a bunch of good items unless you're already 4/4 on everything. Plus because I am weak minded, the mental tediousness of having to sort through that junk repeatedly starts getting to me after an hour or dungeons.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's just a big gap between a regular arpg goon and over-analytical pilot dad and his nongamer wife playing splitscreen trying to figure out what the gently caress is up with the buckets.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

American McGay posted:

Click to sort by type.

Literally the only thing this is a good idea for is weapons. ilvl is not particularly important for most other slots unless you already have everything 4/4 with max rolls.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'd rather have 750-800+ 3/4 stuff and skim new items for 800+ 4/4 stuff than meticulously search through every single bullshit item every time I go to town, but I'm also stuck in the mid 60s NMDs so what do I know.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vic posted:

over-analytical pilot dad and his nongamer wife playing splitscreen trying to figure out what the gently caress is up with the buckets.

I feel attacked.

Really stoked for the S2 changes. I just put the game down for a bit and wasn't planning on coming back so soon, but with those changes I'll certainly be giving it a shot!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

EC posted:

I'd rather have 750-800+ 3/4 stuff and skim new items for 800+ 4/4 stuff than meticulously search through every single bullshit item every time I go to town, but I'm also stuck in the mid 60s NMDs so what do I know.

Same. A lot of the time if I am looking for a replacement I key in on 1 affix. Like say for an amulet I want +skill (for a certain target skill). If I don't see it in on the amulet, trash it. Sure, I am certainly missing potential upgrades where I could enchant for that specific affix on an otherwise good amulet. But it's not worth the mental effort.

System sucks and needs a loot filter, 100%. But it doesn't ruin my experience as long as I reduce the mental work selling off a full inventory, so I basically run a mini mental loot filter of my own.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My solution would be to have every activity drop a curency (lets call them runes), and you can only use the runes at the runestone at the end of NMDs to 'cash in' for extra glyph XP.

That way you're still giving people progress for doing non-NMD content, but they do still have to do an NMD to cash it in. It would also feel pretty amazing when you do finish one and drop like a week's worth of runes.

I would like for non-NMDs to be able to generate glyph progress, since glyphs are basically half of the end-game progression. I really like this idea, an elegant way of adding progression outside of NMDs without eliminating the need to run them. Even if the extra glyph progress was small compared to running NMDs full-time, it would be a huge difference psychologically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope they add 4-5 new skills for each class for season 2. Game could use a lot more diversity

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rings, amulets, and maybe gloves are the only slots where ilvl is irrelevant (and not totally irrelevant, it's just not significantly relevant as long as it is above 725).

This still doesn't mean you won't find upgrades of a lower ilvl though..

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vic posted:

There's just a big gap between a regular arpg goon and over-analytical pilot dad and his nongamer wife playing splitscreen trying to figure out what the gently caress is up with the buckets.

yeah i think most of the people itt saying loot takes a long time are the former

once you understand what stats you need for your class or build it simply does not take that long to sort through your inventory. it takes me under a minute to go through a full inventory searching all items regardless of ilvl for my druid for whom i am looking for two completely different gear sets

not everyone will have spent too much time playing like i have, it doesn’t mean it’s a good system, it doesn’t mean when you first get to the point of having to pay attention to both ilvl and 4 stat lines isn’t overwhelming and tedious, but it only gets done more and more quickly. and if you’re on PC you can toggle inventory, flag a few items as junk, and keep going while you’re running somewhere or waiting on an event or any of the other downtime that happens and when you’re back in town, everything is ready to be sold.

in the spirit of trying to understand, if anyone who takes more than a minute to clear a full inventory is willing, could you clip you clearing an inventory? i feel like there must be something that’s not being communicated that could be addressed to make up the difference in speed

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The current best way I found to do it is to set up a literal spreadsheet of the stats valuable to my build, available per gear slot, and ranked by preference I would like them in.

poo poo shouldn't be this complicated I don't want to have to figure out if "2.6% better butt sniffing on a Thursday between 7 and 11 AM " is better than "4.5% lucky hit overpower on criticals if walking on one blue shoe"

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

my guy you don't need a spreadsheet to remember the only 4 affixes good for your build

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

lol

Why don't you film yourself emptying your inventory so we can critique your technique first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

I hope they add 4-5 new skills for each class for season 2. Game could use a lot more diversity

How do yall nut all over the palce for diablo 2, and its literally one spammed skill forever, but complain about "muh lack of skill diversity" in Diablo 4?

Honestly we have more end game content than ever.

D1, uh idk, do the dungeon again.... gently caress it who knows, also hellfire isnt official.

D2, Uh gently caress man, kill baal 9000 times, then just go pindle and mephisto till your loving eyes bleed?

D2 patch like 10 or something. Uber Diablo counts I guess, but its hella easy and over in seconds. Oh and the torch farm, but only 2 builds can really do it, so get hosed.

D2R. Ok now we can add terror zones, which basically only drop skill buster GC's which are worthless and you can get for free in a trade dump game. Max level? lol no too many baal runs.

D3. Sucked on launch, and there was NO engame other than inferno, which was just the basic loving game.....

D3 at end of life. Ok so we had bounties and rifts..... Oh terror keys too, but those didnt really do much and the ring / amulet sucked. Max level? yeah in like 45 minutes.

D4, Whispers(bounties), NM Dungeons(rifts), Uber Lilith(get hosed), Helltides(terror zone +?) Legions events(new), PVP zone(actual rewards for once), World Bosses(new, exciting? not at high level). max level? Achievable, but its gonna still be a grind.

All I'm seeing is D4 has the most end game content of any game released yet, and a good midpoint between the 99 of D2 and the maybe 45 minuts to max level of D3. Not shilling for it, it needs improvement, but drat. If its not fun, it isnt due to lack of variety, its just none of it is rewarding.

I put almost 400 hours into D4 and didnt even hit 99 in season 1 stopped in the 70's, (Did get 2 99's in pre season and got another 85) Did T100, killed Uber L, got all the pvp rewards and achieves (not hardcore)....

I got 260 hours in BG3 on 2 play throughs,

I eeked out maybe 130 in Starfield before it got boring.

I put ToTK down after like 40.

Arione fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 5, 2023