Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do wash my rice. In a giant pot of boiling water.

For real tho I only do that if I'm too busy to do the whole ritual for my overpriced Japanese rice cooker.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Food is overrated imo
Only eat that poo poo to survive :smug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

50 arty pieces were dunked today.

That's like 4% of the artillery that Russia is operating in Ukraine.

Today was also the highest casualty rate on the side of the Russians in a month. So their counter offensive is working out great.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Today was also the highest casualty rate on the side of the Russians in a month. So their counter offensive is working out great.

If so :drat:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Want some more?

The black sea fleet is leaving Sevastopol. And they are not patrolling the blockade.

They left Bulgarian and Romanian waters and stopped jamming cell comms as of two days ago.

The fleet is moving to novorossiysk. Most likely due to the fact that the docks are non functioning and they can't service any ships that get hit on the port.

Crimea is now under a technical naval blockade as the fleet fled.

Ukraine has blockaded the sevastopol port without having a navy.

The source you can read is paywalled on WSJ.

Things are normal on Russia. Undue alarm is undue.

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1709627838431887364

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 5, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The fleet is moving to novorossiysk. Most likely due to the fact that the docks are non functioning and they can't service any ships that get hit on the port.

And as I understand it Novorossiysk isn't a great port because Nature can gently caress over the ships there due to the terrain, especially in the winter.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Crimea is now under a technical naval blockade as the fleet fled.

Ukraine has blockaded the sevastopol port without having a navy.

So I guess that means Ukraine has won the decisive battle and now have control of the sea?

I think Mahn would say they have now won the war.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There is something very wrong about that calculation. Ukraine have been claiming to destroy between 20-40 artillery pieces a days for several months. If 50 is 4% then it would all have been destroyed ages ago. Either they aren't destroying that many or there is lots more.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Beffer posted:

There is something very wrong about that calculation. Ukraine have been claiming to destroy between 20-40 artillery pieces a days for several months. If 50 is 4% then it would all have been destroyed ages ago. Either they aren't destroying that many or there is lots more.

There's well over 4K worth of pieces still in various shapes in Russia. Not counting what is rolling off the factories.

Ukraine has destroyed like 7,000 piece of arty which is almost half of what Russia has pre war.

So you are right. There are a lot more but they are in various shapes. Refurbing takes time and the replacements are becoming scarcer and scarcer.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 5, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh good.

The Jim Jones play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beffer posted:

Have they been claiming 20-40 every day, or just on particularly big days?

Also, bear in mind that Russia had several thousand mothballed artillery pieces over and above what it had in service and it has been pulling them out of storage en masse, so destroying a couple percent of the artillery currently in theater per day could still be a very long process.

That said, I'm sure there's some inflation in the number of kills claimed just due to the fog of war, same as it always has been.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Have they been claiming 20-40 every day, or just on particularly big days?

Every day. I read Noelreports twitter account each morning which includes the kill count of equipment. It has been over 20 every day for months.

I assume there is a significant level of inflated claims. The more interesting thing is that there is an upward trend. A few months ago 30 was a big day, then that became routine, and now they are routinely claiming over 40 every day. The nearly 50 today is the biggest number I've seen.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Beffer posted:

Someone did a post recently (here or in the D&D thread) showing the storage depots for Russian artillery pieces in Russia, and they're getting pretty heavily into the "Depleted" side of things.
Russia did inherit an awful lot of soviet equipment, but a combination of grift and lack of care on the Russian side left a lot of it degraded to the point where it's no longer serviceable, and then on the other side Ukraine has been doing a very good job in reducing equipment to scrap metal at a pretty good pace, means that "inexhaustible" supply that Russia started out with is... now quite exhaustible. Particularly since a lot of the firefinder/counterbattery radars were blown up earlier on, coupled with severely worn barrels reducing accuracy, means Russia is needing to move more artillery closer to the front to try and cover combat operations, leaving it more vulnerable to Ukrainian counterbattery fire. It's a cycle that just gets worse (for Russia) by the day - the more they're degraded the closer they have to get, the closer they have to get the more they're degraded. At some point the numbers are going to start going back down consistently, because there simply won't be much left for Ukraine to convert to slag.

At that point, things get interesting again.

[edit] I'll elaborate on "interesting".

Currently the southern front has fallen into a bit of a routine - Ukraine launches an attack on a trenchline/treeline, using a few APC's and dismounted infantry to storm the trench and overwhelm the Russian infantry defending them. Once they've taken the trenchline, they pull the vehicles back and most of the infantry ahead of the usual Russian resonse of (inaccurate but massed) artillery fire. Russia then counterattacks to retake the trench and Ukraine either withdraws it's infantry, or counters the counterattack and gains permanent control over it, repeat next trenchline. This is broken up by periodic "large" Russian counterattacks with massed infantry and some armor support, but that ... has not gone well for Russia. Repeatedly.

So. What happens when Russian artillery is depleted, and the response to Ukraine taking a trench, is a few (still inaccurate) shells splatting around the field, rather than a massive barrage? At that point it might make sense to roll armor through in a breakthrough attempt - The minefields ahead of the trenches, combined with the massive artillery fire barrages, is what blunted Ukraines early western-style massed armor counteroffensive pushes. If they are able to negate the minefields (like they have been) and then push beyind them without fear of heavy artillery response, I would suspect then would be a very good time to try and catch some Russian units off guard, and maybe overrun some supply depots.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 5, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Imagine the Russian equipment as a bowl of water that is constantly being filled.

But you keep drilling holes in it.

Eventually the water coming from the holes will be so much that the flow of water out of the bowl causes the water level to go down instead of maintain.

We are juuuuust about at the "the holes are larger than the spigot", point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1709786876033343930#m
Another temper tantrum was thrown using Iranian drones last night. Ukraine shot down 24 of 29. In response, parts of Kursk oblast are now without power.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Imagine the Russian equipment as a bowl of water that is constantly being filled.

But you keep drilling holes in it.

Eventually the water coming from the holes will be so much that the flow of water out of the bowl causes the water level to go down instead of maintain.

We are juuuuust about at the "the holes are larger than the spigot", point.

To clarify, destroying 50 arty pieces today might be 4% of Russia's units in Ukraine. 5 months ago those same 50 units might have been only 2%, and a year ago maybe only 0.25%. Like mentioned above, the more units that are destroyed (at the same numbers) are now accounting for a higher percentage of what's left.

So those 50 units in a few more months might be 10% of what Russia has fielded in Ukraine at that point in time.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Lol, that's some lazy performative gas masking.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

"thanks vik, all opposed? ok, motion fails, next order of business is..."

"Reducing the EU aid to Hungary. We have to take into account that Russia is also funding Orban."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oldsmobile posted:

Seems like lack of ammo is not only a huge problem for Ukraine, but for the US and EU too. They're emptying their warehouses and not enough new ammo is being made.

EU countries have to start doing something about this.

I mean, Finland almost definitely has artillery shells to spare. Our stockpiles are legendary and our gunner conscripts get to fire a LOT of shells during their 6-12 months just to keep our old stock from going bad.

But it's mostly for Soviet made guns which we previously used, our own home made systems, or for the South Korean K9 Thunder, and I'm not sure how compatible it is with what Ukraine are using these days. And of course there may be some anxiety about emptying our stockpiles, just in case Putin decides to invade us next.

But we could probably spare more ammo.

Doccers posted:

Someone did a post recently (here or in the D&D thread) showing the storage depots for Russian artillery pieces in Russia, and they're getting pretty heavily into the "Depleted" side of things.

Might have been my post here. The satellite images for some Russian equipment farms are definitely showing a lot of empty space and dismantled for parts equipment.

And yes, this is all old stuff from the 1960s and whatnot, so it looks like they are running through their stocks at a decent clip.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 5, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Might have been my post here. The satellite images for some Russian equipment farms are definitely showing a lot of empty space and dismantled for parts equipment.

And yes, this is all old stuff from the 1960s and whatnot, so it looks like they are running through their stocks at a decent clip.

Perun paid for satellite time to also check on the depletion so that's another good resource confirming the large reduction in availible Russian equipment. While Russia certainly hasnt run out of tubes to fire poo poo, they are clearly burning through a *lot*

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol that randoes can do SATINT

even if that perun guy aint quite a rando

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Post WWII the soviets had so many extra artillery barrels left over that they converted a lot of them into pressure vessels for scientific research.

It is just astonishing how much materiel there was left

Set
Oct 30, 2005
Yle released an interview about this very topic yesterday. Not that much new necessarily in it, but interesting as they do interview actual artillery officers with experience.

This however just goes to show that "shoot fewer times but actually hit your target" always will win over "shoot constantly but only hit sometimes", because you can destroy your opponents capability to do the latter if you can do the first.

Authors: Justas Stasevskij
Release date: 04.10.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20053606

quote:

Ukraine says it has destroyed as many Russian cannons as there is Finnish artillery in total all in a month and a half - artillery expert: The change is radical

It is vital for Ukraine to destroy the Russian artillery in order to advance on the front. However, the time window for a counter-attack is running out soon.

Among the daily Russian losses reported by Ukraine during the summer and autumn, one type of weapon has emerged: artillery.

Ukraine announced today that it destroyed 47 artillery systems, 40 yesterday and 48 the day before that.

If Ukraine's numbers are to be believed, it has destroyed 1460 Russian artillery units between August 15th and October 4th.

The amount is huge. Finland has around 1,500 cannons and is known as an artillery superpower. So Ukraine has said that it destroyed roughly the amount of material of the entire Finnish artillery in about a month and a half. The readings from the previous months are almost the same.

"Artillery is the God of war," says Soviet dictator Josef Stalin. True or false, artillery still forms the backbone of Russian warfare.

Ukraine is now trying to break this backbone, and judging by the numbers, it is succeeding amazingly well.

The balance of power is shifting to Ukraine in the artillery war

Could the numbers be real? We asked this and the importance of artillery in the war in Ukraine to the executive director of the Artillery Association, Lieutenant Colonel evp. Terho Mustonen and the artillery inspector, Colonel Mika Holma.

- There may be a certain overlap, but yes, it can be true. The figures reported by Ukraine are quite reliable, says Mustonen.

Mustonen means with overlap, that the same weapon may be reported as destroyed more than once. Ukraine's way of declaring "artillery systems" as destroyed also creates ambiguity. The statistics do not reveal exactly what has been destroyed, nor what is meant by the artillery system.

Holma is more skeptical.

- If there are readings like that every month, it probably can't be true, says Holma.

War propaganda probably plays a part in the numbers.

However, according to Mustonen, the trend is clear. Ukraine has succeeded in the artillery war against Russia.

- After all, the situation has radically changed from where we were a year ago. The losses inflicted on Russia deny that the balance of power in the artillery war is shifting to Ukraine's side, says Mustonen.

Mustonen has also drawn attention to the fact that there has been no news of massive Russian artillery strikes recently.

Artillery destroys artillery

Ukraine's success in artillery warfare cannot be explained by one factor. Important are, for example, cannons received from the West, which are more accurate and shoot farther than Russian cannons.

- Artillery affects artillery, says Mustonen.

According to him, Ukraine's tactic is to attack the Russian artillery specifically with a wide range of weapons.

Mustonen mentions that heavy rocket launchers are effective in destroying artillery. The anti-artillery radars that Ukraine has received from the West are also important. However, they are valuable systems and Ukraine probably doesn't have many of them in use.

Artillery inspector, colonel Mika Holma adds that Ukraine has also been successful in fire control. So the Ukrainians manage to find their opponents. Drones, which have become a phenomenon in the Ukrainian war, play an important role in that.

- Ukraine uses its limited ammunition correctly, says Holma.

Mustonen believes that Ukraine's ability to locate Russian artillery systems is constantly improving. The bigger issue is the munitions, which the West has not been able to deliver to Ukraine in sufficient quantities.

Ukraine must destroy Russian artillery to advance

Artillery has traditionally been an important, if not the most important, means of warfare in Russia and the Soviet Union. However, the way the West and Russia use artillery is radically different.

- The use of artillery in Russia is based on the fact that there is a lot of shooting. Grind every single square - it leaves nothing intact in the area you are trying to influence.

According to Mustonen, this differs significantly from Finnish thinking.

- Here, we operate in such a way that we want to focus and shoot accurately.

Holma adds that even more than 70 percent of the losses caused by Russia have been caused by indirect weapons, i.e. artillery, for example.

However, Russia's mass use of fire is risky. If Ukraine can affect Russian supply chains, and the Russians can't get enough ammunition delivered, their tactics won't work.

According to Mustonen, Russia has the most effective part of its artillery force in Ukraine. However, there is no exact information on the quantities. However, most of the Russian artillery in use is in Ukraine.

Mustonen says that Ukraine must destroy Russia's artillery deterrent if it wants to succeed in its counterattack. Ukraine cannot advance under artillery fire.

- An individual soldier cannot do anything without protection. The first task is precisely to eliminate the opponent's artillery. Otherwise, you won't be able to operate on the front.

Holma says that the destruction of Russian artillery will affect Ukraine's military operations in two ways in particular. Firstly, the Ukrainians will suffer less losses and secondly, the Russians will not be able to prevent Ukrainian counterattacks.

- Artillery is the only way to get through. It makes a hole in the defense of the Russians together with other types of weapons, says Holma.

Above all, problems for Ukraine are caused by a chronic shortage of ammunition. Artillery grenades are fired in Ukraine in huge quantities. However, according to Mustonen, Western countries are not willing to hand over supplies from their own emergency stocks.

- The bottom is already visible. Western countries have not supplied Ukraine with supplies meant for first grade troops. Own stocks are kept in case of a bad day.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

Oldsmobile posted:

I still have trouble understanding why that particular pastry reminded them of eating a baby's head.
Looing it up it's sort of a pudding or pastry filled with steak and gravy. The head refers to a toilet (generally cylindrical) rather than an actual head and the contents have the consistency of a baby's nappies.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Post WWII the soviets had so many extra artillery barrels left over that they converted a lot of them into pressure vessels for scientific research.

It is just astonishing how much materiel there was left

Same with post cold war US and spy sats for hire apparently lmao

Remember to walk around your USCOM NATSEC AFFDDEGSSQ unit and take photos so they don't claim you scratched it!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hubble main lens is the cia's leftovers

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So this Armenia thing in the NK region where there are reports of 100k people being ethinically cleansed by Az while it's ally, Russia did gently caress all to help and let the whole thing play out. Yet this is NATO's fault because it didn't do anything.

I love tankie twitter.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

But Armenia is outside NATO's sphere of influence?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

So this Armenia thing in the NK region where there are reports of 100k people being ethinically cleansed by Az while it's ally, Russia did gently caress all to help and let the whole thing play out. Yet this is NATO's fault because it didn't do anything.

I love tankie twitter.

Add to that Russia was in Baku earlier this week presenting all its plans for space they’ll never achieve, even after the Azeris greased a bunch of Russian peacekeepers.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1709915864835797138#m
Russian barbarians bombed a village and killed nearly 50 people. Words can't describe my fury right now.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1709823704241246305
:allbuttons:
Something about "never again?" anyone?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gubarev needs a visitvfrom Mr. HIMARS.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
So it's pretty obvious that the Ukranians want the Taurus missile not only to strike at logistic hubs, but to strike at the Crimea Bridge. I've read that Scholz is hesitant to send the missiles because of the latter point. So if Ukraine did get them eve tally, what's to stop Germany from placing that restriction on Ukraine?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Willo567 posted:

So it's pretty obvious that the Ukranians want the Taurus missile not only to strike at logistic hubs, but to strike at the Crimea Bridge. I've read that Scholz is hesitant to send the missiles because of the latter point. So if Ukraine did get them eve tally, what's to stop Germany from placing that restriction on Ukraine?

How could Germany stop them? Whatever promises they get or consequences they threaten, Ukraine might still decide it’s worth taking out the bridge.

E: can you region lock a cruise missile? Asking for a freund

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ought ten posted:

How could Germany stop them? Whatever promises they get or consequences they threaten, Ukraine might still decide it’s worth taking out the bridge.

E: can you region lock a cruise missile? Asking for a freund

They could threaten not to supply Ukraine with more if they break their agreement with Germany. The U.S. supplies weapons to Ukraine on the agreement that they aren't used on Russia territory, and Ukraine hasn't broken that promise.

Also, Germany may refuse to provide precise coordinates for targets they don't want Ukraine to hit. Ukraine says that the U.S. does the same with HIMARS and it would also apply to ATACMS
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/09/ukraine-himars-rocket-artillery-russia/

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 5, 2023

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Right. The way I really should have framed that is with respect to Germany’s calculus in the decision. Does Scholz believe that’s a big enough threat to stop Ukraine? There won’t be zero risk of Ukraine breaking an agreement. What risk will Germany accept?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Willo567 posted:

They could threaten not to supply Ukraine with more if they break their agreement with Germany. The U.S. supplies weapons to Ukraine on the agreement that they aren't used on Russia territory, and Ukraine hasn't broken that promise.

Also, Germany may refuse to provide precise coordinates for targets they don't want Ukraine to hit. Ukraine says that the U.S. does the same with HIMARS and it would also apply to ATACMS
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/09/ukraine-himars-rocket-artillery-russia/

No worries the Brits and the French give zero fucks about hitting Crimea so they can just save Taurus for targets in mainland Ukraine

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Sorry for the double reply. I was addressing targeting the Kerch Bridge specifically (which is what you first asked about). I don’t think Ukraine needs targeting data for the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tai posted:

No worries the Brits and the French give zero fucks about hitting Crimea so they can just save Taurus for targets in mainland Ukraine

Taurus is longer range than Storm Shadow though?

I imagine the range is one reason why Ukraine would really like get Taurus, makes targets like the Kerch bridge much easier