Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Cool, sounds like the 512GB isn't really a requirement at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's a pity the Quest 3 models aren't 256gb and 512gb each. Be warned that while Quest games are usually small, I expect Quest 3 power will mean that eventually, Quest 3 exclusive games will be near twice as big as Quest 2.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That GTA SA port is gonna be 100gb

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Heh. Not 100gb, but I expect Asgard Wrath 2 to be sizable.

It isn't only that it can handle more detailed models and textures in unique games, it's also the fact that companies will do Quest3 / PSVR2 games, and those will be bigger, I imagine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEcICzfkOrs
I was interested in this game, but it seems it is missing a bit more content.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Medal of Honor is something like 70gb. I think its the biggest game on the store.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
drat, if games end up rocking 70+ gigs then I am kind of going to be pissed I got the smaller Q3 :mad:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Asgard's Wrath 2 is going to be 22gb installed according to Facebook since everyone asked them about it. I think the 128gb is going to be perfectly fine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beastie posted:

Medal of Honor is something like 70gb. I think its the biggest game on the store.

Not that much, but lots of games now are in the 4-6 GB range, so I expect it to increase to 8-12 GB. Big premier games like Walking Dead, Resident Evil or Asgard Wrath are in the 12 to 24 gb category (let's consider Medal Honor the exception and not include it), so double that could be 24 to 48 gb.

Honestly,it really depends if the library is going to remain dominated by indie games, or bigger studios will start to release more VR games.

edit: also a reminder that 128gb will be the raw capacity, formatted and allocated will be 119gb. Then subtract some gb for the OS and the Meta apps. Then take in account the device needs x gb free to be able to update already installed apps.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 5, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Not that much, but lots of games now are in the 4-6 GB range, so I expect it to increase to 8-12 GB. Big premier games like Walking Dead, Resident Evil or Asgard Wrath are in the 12 to 24 gb category (let's consider Medal Honor the exception and not include it), so double that could be 24 to 48 gb.

Honestly,it really depends if the library is going to remain dominated by indie games, or bigger studios will start to release more VR games.

Yeah you are right, MoH is 41gb, just checked.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

Costco has a preorder up for the Quest 3 that's $599 and they have a 90 day return window. It includes an elite strap and carrying case, AW 2 and $25 meta store card.
https://www.costco.com/meta-quest-3-128gb-with-asgard%E2%80%99s-wrath-2-game-bundle.product.4000216910.html

As a frequenter of the Costco thread, that's not an impressive value for them. All Quest 3 sales include AW2 anyways. So for $100 extra you get $25 in store credit (unused amount expires after a year BTW), the strap and the case, and uh, 90 days return to Walmart's 110-ish.

Amazon has a form-fitted Quest 3 case for $33, but the ship times show it's coming from China: https://www.amazon.com/rokeblau-Accessories-Transparent-Protective-Controllers/dp/B0CJQ39MGL/

I'm also seeing Quest 3 compatible straps up for $29 with next day shipping: https://www.amazon.com/JHZWD-Replacement-Ergonomic-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B0CJJBLQST

If Costco was bundling the Elite Strap with Battery then I might say go for it, but the straps without battery aren't better than 3rd party (indeed, they seemed to crack with greater frequency than 3rd party in the past) and don't have any counterweight so I don't get the point.

The Eyes Have It posted:

drat, if games end up rocking 70+ gigs then I am kind of going to be pissed I got the smaller Q3 :mad:

Eh whatevs, my internet sucks and I'd still rather juggle stuff than pay that tax. Plus I think Sidequest can let you store the games on your PC drive and quickly shuffle them on/off the Quest?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEcICzfkOrs
I was interested in this game, but it seems it is missing a bit more content.

Looks cool but I wish these kinds of physics simulator games had more potential for "set up and execute sick melee combos" so I can feel like a badass. The same way Guitar Hero made players feel amazing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Looks cool but I wish these kinds of physics simulator games had more potential for "set up and execute sick melee combos" so I can feel like a badass. The same way Guitar Hero made players feel amazing.

I don't expect every game to revolutionize its genre but at a high level the concept of experience and levels in a game where you can actually swing the sword still makes me want to scream

It's like that stupid nerve in the giraffe's neck that goes all the way down and then all the way back up for no reason, or how your optic nerve goes through your dumb eyeball instead of just being in the back so you have gigantic blind spots. Experience was created in RPG's so that you could play a character that had different skills than you, and reflect how that character grows and changes in a system that is necessarily abstracted because you're playing it with pen and paper. If you are swinging the sword you can just get better at it!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Lemming posted:

I don't expect every game to revolutionize its genre but at a high level the concept of experience and levels in a game where you can actually swing the sword still makes me want to scream

It's like that stupid nerve in the giraffe's neck that goes all the way down and then all the way back up for no reason, or how your optic nerve goes through your dumb eyeball instead of just being in the back so you have gigantic blind spots. Experience was created in RPG's so that you could play a character that had different skills than you, and reflect how that character grows and changes in a system that is necessarily abstracted because you're playing it with pen and paper. If you are swinging the sword you can just get better at it!

That also means, for someone good swinging a sword, there might be no real progression through the game until the very end?

Games are still games. And maybe there are better gamified ways to make progression exist but if you tie all progression simply to physical ability in VR, you are making flat experiences instead of scaled ones.

People like being given cool toys, so a sword that is on fire and now fucks people up better even if you swing it the same is fun, especially if you earned it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

That also means, for someone good swinging a sword, there might be no real progression through the game until the very end?

Games are still games. And maybe there are better gamified ways to make progression exist but if you tie all progression simply to physical ability in VR, you are making flat experiences instead of scaled ones.

People like being given cool toys, so a sword that is on fire and now fucks people up better even if you swing it the same is fun, especially if you earned it.

I mean, yeah. If you already know how to play guitar and you play Rocksmith, you'll shred. It's the same as playing an FPS when you're already really good at FPS's - you'll probably blast through the whole thing without that much trouble.

I totally agree you can still have progression - getting new weapons, armor, spells, etc. I'm not arguing against stuff like your suggestions about earning things, just that something like "level" which is meant to denote something on the skill axis doesn't make sense if it's just a bar that goes up instead of an actual reflection of skill

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Disconnect from how you think something should work also feels way worse in VR games than it does elsewhere. So hard levels and stats with melee weapons feel worse, in those cases it's probably best like Lemming said to focus progression on expanding a toolset. Adding magic, projectiles, hell even training companions like Asgard's Wrath 1 did.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So will Quest2 games just run slightly better on 3 out of the box? Is that how this hardware works? Some games already have options in the graphics menu for enhanced visuals at the cost of performance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Depends, if they're updated they might look closer to PC counterparts. If not they'll probably still run better with fewer to no frame drops if they had them. Stuff would need to be updated to utilise 120hz mode though.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Beastie posted:

So will Quest2 games just run slightly better on 3 out of the box? Is that how this hardware works? Some games already have options in the graphics menu for enhanced visuals at the cost of performance.

Yes, in the same way as getting a new graphics card should. In games that use the default resolution scaling mechanism, you'll also get a 30% resolution increase without any update required. For other improved graphics/higher refresh rates, you'll need to wait for an update from the developers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I tried out Dungeons of Eternity today

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Lemming posted:

Are you just fishing for people to ask you about it or did you just want to let us know you played a game today?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Are you just fishing for people to ask you about it or did you just want to let us know you played a game today?

I just feel like sometimes you can say a lot about a game without saying very much at all

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I saw that Ghost Signal released on Steam today and that looks interesting. Only $15 if you buy the bundle and already own Stellaris (which I’m pretty sure was free at some point).

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Lemming posted:

I just feel like sometimes you can say a lot about a game without saying very much at all

:drat:

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Lemming posted:

It was so good you're speechless? drat, gotta buy that game

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So now that my quest 3 is arriving within the week, what are the killer VR apps?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Somnium's VR headset is on a (free) pre-preorder signup, where you sign up and you'll get a headstart on pre-ordering when it opens :v:

One interesting thing is with the option to buy and ship a "naked" VR headset with no headstrap. Cheaper and lighter and as the end user it's assumed you will be using your own anyway (via a 3D printed adapter or something).

What's the deal with Somnium? Well they're making a wired PCVR headset that is modular and hackable. 3D printable interfaces, etc. Somnium hosts some VR thing or world or whatever? I don't know, I'm not a social VR chat guy. You can't find out more from their website though because the top navigation bar isn't clickable in my browser :shrug:

No audio built in (3.5mm jack), and no wireless. Wired PCVR only. But optional modular eye tracking, hand tracking, and front-facing cameras. No word on price :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another one of these Quest 3 comparison videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoWKHHrAhwM

Lemming posted:

mediocre then, uh? But, how much your aversion for the joystick-movement plays a role here? :P
edit: speaking of movement, have you tried Outta Hand ?

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/629730?emclan=103582791463356090&emgid=3690191375768353032
Blade & Sorcery will be soon a full game! (2024 q1)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Whoa this sounds awesome. And how they are handling weapons should make lemming happy

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kwolok posted:

So now that my quest 3 is arriving within the week, what are the killer VR apps?

BearHammer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-chLjRFOmp0
Linking Park 2nd dlc . Admit it, you love it :D

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Another one of these Quest 3 comparison videos

This mostly just seems like a resolution/framerate upgrade? Still very welcome. I was hoping we'd have a bit more power for shaders/lighting but I presume that'll take longer to optimize and implement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
PAXAUS has a very nice dedicated VR space, but for the life of me I can't fathom why their headset of choice is the Vive Cosmos :yikes:.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
https://www.youtube.com/live/2HkOOpJV15o?feature=shared&t=7115

Stolen off reddit, quest 3 room scanning footage & MR. In chinese.

Its neat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's neato :buddy:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if we can get an app to model large objects into 3D models. Like use the depth sensor, photogrammetry, and AI cleanup so you can like, walk around your car and get a really nice model to import. I know there's stuff to do that already but it seems like this stack of things could do it faster than anything else.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Oovee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/live/2HkOOpJV15o?feature=shared&t=7115

Stolen off reddit, quest 3 room scanning footage & MR. In chinese.

Its neat.

Any idea how he's capturing footage of what he's seeing overlaid with the real world? When I tried that on the Quest Pro with Cubism it would only give me game footage and no passthrough

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Snackmar posted:

Any idea how he's capturing footage of what he's seeing overlaid with the real world? When I tried that on the Quest Pro with Cubism it would only give me game footage and no passthrough

He seems to be just using the normal quest streaming to the website. Time 1h14min'ish on the video.
Website should be oculus.com/casting

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sold my Quest 2 last week to go towards the Quest 3 and now i'm having VR withdrawals.

This guy who managed to get one early, he made positive review that's got me hyped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQC7EXbTl4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's the big reason I got the Q2, I sold my Quest thinking I wasn't using it much and then I was super bummed that I didn't have a headset to use when I did want to.