Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I haven't watched anime in a bit but I'm stoked for the Delicious in Dungeon anime. Friends tell me the manga is pretty good and just finished so I might pick that up.

Just from focusing on the mundane details of reality like how to cook and prepare monsters away from civilization, Dungeon Meshi builds up a completely fully realized fantasy world that feels fully OF ITSELF despite all the obvious inspirations it's drawing from. It's peak fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just from focusing on the mundane details of reality like how to cook and prepare monsters away from civilization, Dungeon Meshi builds up a completely fully realized fantasy world that feels fully OF ITSELF despite all the obvious inspirations it's drawing from. It's peak fiction.

It also uses the social aspects of cooking and eating to flesh out fully realized characters that you get to know very well

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

DavidPro wheres my part 7 teaser

need to see those horses

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
also laios is just a wonderful absolute weirdo dudes rock

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I don't get why Mushoku Tensei is so popular because every thing I hear about it makes it sound like one of the most dogshit things I've ever heard of in my life but people on western anime sites and anime reviewers eat it up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's edgy slop and i think pretty high quality production? teenagers love that poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Whirling posted:

I don't get why Mushoku Tensei is so popular because every thing I hear about it makes it sound like one of the most dogshit things I've ever heard of in my life but people on western anime sites and anime reviewers eat it up.

i don't see how that's confusing in any way

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
It's an isekai that does try to make a fantasy world that is not just straight up a copy of dragon quest where conflict is solved by ''somehow I reincarnated with all my stats at 9999'' which sadly puts it above a good chunk of the slop.

Which is quite damning for the genre tbqh

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

January 6 Survivor posted:

It's an isekai that does try to make a fantasy world that is not just straight up a copy of dragon quest where conflict is solved by ''somehow I reincarnated with all my stats at 9999'' which sadly puts it above a good chunk of the slop.

Which is quite damning for the genre tbqh

It’s also the thing that a lot of isekai copied in the first place. Which is funny because it doesn’t actually use most of what have become staples of the genre

The show is indeed really cringey at the beginning because the protagonist is a total creep (and was a socially and emotionally damaged hikikomori in his past life), but it’s an intentional choice. You’re supposed to think that he’s a really hosed up dude and half the plot is him slowly learning to be a halfway decent human being over time. I wouldn’t even call it edgy because it’s a fairly standard fantasy setting, but the plot goes to some interesting places and the protagonist actually has to struggle and work for things. Also yeah it helps that the production values are really loving high and they got some of the best talent in the business to put it together

For me, it falls in the same category as Monogatari where if you can look past the skeevier elements it’s a really compelling story with some excellent writing, but I’ll never actually recommend it to anyone I know in person

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Oct 5, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mushoku Tensei's influence on the genre is severely overstated. Its first webnovel version only came out in 2012, well after most of the influential isekai stories - Sword Art Online, which started the isekai boom (despite not technically being an isekai story) first started publishing all the way back in 2002. Even more modern and subversive stuff like Re:Zero slightly predates it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

yeah but jobless reincarnation has the muscled wolf lady

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

kinda happy with myself i don't actually know poo poo about it beyond that ngl

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Darkly hilarious that the sexy older lady in the weird paedo show is called Ghislaine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Darkly hilarious that the sexy older lady in the weird paedo show is called Ghislaine.

holy gently caress

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kit Walker posted:

For me, it falls in the same category as Monogatari where if you can look past the skeevier elements it’s a really compelling story with some excellent writing, but I’ll never actually recommend it to anyone I know in person

I remember when the teeth brushing thing was going around as a meme for awhile, but then I watched the show and got to that scene and it's insanely well animated and directed and written and acted. Just an insane amount of talent going into making this scene where a guy erotically brushes his sister's teeth

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

lmfao

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Whirling posted:

it puts non-zero effort into making it plausible that the romance interest girls would actually like the protagonist in spite of his flaws and not just for his powers or things he did for them from a position of privilege, which is more than 95% of what has followed in its steps as far as isekai harem builders. that does make it more watchable than that stuff if that’s what else was on the menu to begin with

it’s offputting to actually think about that tho, to recognize that some degree of craft has gone into the specific goal of making this fantasy of a man with a second chance at life mainly structuring it around the pursuit of teen sex palatable. so people are willing to repeat the claim that there’s some kind of redemptive journey going on, but that’s really just not true

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its very funny they made the loser virgin guy a very powerful wizard

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wish they made isekai for women and adults

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

probably exist but nobody translated it $$$$$

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

tokin opposition posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Also, My Next Life as a Villainess

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

That's who all those villainess isekais are for. Or, much older, The Twelve Kingdoms, which is apparently a very good fantasy drama, and Magic Knight Rayearth, which is apparently a very good magical girl mecha show.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

the otome game villainess subgenre is mostly that. well women who are social children i guess but who isn’t these days

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MT’s biggest problem is that once it gets adapted off the page and into a visual medium like manga and anime, the spectacle overwhelms the subtext. objectively it’s a story that condemns the protagonist for his own perverted sense of self-entitlement and his complicity with the injustices of the other world, but once it gets turned into an anime then there has to be fanservice because that’s what the market demands.

if MT was as influential as people claim it is there’d be a lot less unironically self-indulgent isekai where the hero buys a slave and it’s just so because it’s legal anyway. in MT they buy a slave for the express purpose of mass producing merchandise, and it’s a disgusting process that degrades everybody involved. Ruijerd is the closest character in isekai there is to John Brown.

but the anime has to try to have its cake and eat it too. it condemns the viewer for indulging in the fantasy while also rewarding them for it.

Kit Walker posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Also, My Next Life as a Villainess

Ascendance of a Bookworm is a lot like Dungeon Meshi in the sense that its focus on the mundane details of domestic life help make it a more fully realized world. that focus on real world material issues and the class dynamics of feudalism is enough to make it a Marxist text. it’s a literal material dialectic.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Oct 5, 2023

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
watch tearmoon empire this season. it’s not technically isekai but the setting is in conversation with the otome game setting stuff and it’s also a second chance story, but it doesn’t take anything seriously that it knows can’t actually be sustained

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my 9 yo kid wants to watch One Piece

is there any weird anime stuff in it

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

but the anime has to try to have its cake and eat it too. it condemns the viewer for indulging in the fantasy while also rewarding them for it.
nah i think the whole popularity in all its forms is based precisely on how well it’s threaded the balance of having and eating the cake

three cakes, even

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

this allusion meant posted:

the otome game villainess subgenre is mostly that. well women who are social children i guess but who isn’t these days

yeah there's like 50 isekai series about being reborn as the protagonist, antagonist, or nameless side character in an otome game

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

It's got a bit more gore and sexual content than most Western kids' shows, but it's still very much a kids' show, and your nine-year-old is within the target demographic.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

if you mean in this season, definitely "I'm in Love with the Villainess" and maybe "The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent" but i haven't seen the first season of that one yet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

lots of fanservice in the later arcs but they should be fine with the earlier stuff. I wouldn’t really recommend it until they’re teenaged.

what’s incredible about One Piece is actually how little weird anime stuff is in it, despite Oda’s aesthetic tastes. it’s one of those mangas that people who don’t like anime end up being really into.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
one piece is anime as all gently caress, actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my older kid also said wait until he’s 12 or so .

thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

euphronius posted:

There's a, I guess race? of people called Newkamas who are just guys dressed as ladies. The creator insists this is very funny and brings them into the plot a lot.

It is somewhat ameliorated by the fact that the two main Newkama characters, Bon Clay and Ivankov, are actually good characters in their own right that the audience roots for. And also that eventually Oda just casually introduces a couple actual trans characters who are extremely cool and their transness is handled well and not made the butt of jokes. So there's a clear delineation between actual trans human beings and Newkama who are, yeah I guess just this weird kind of totally separate thing.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
lady isekais are just as hit and miss as guy isekais but when they miss they don’t leave you wondering how to reconcile their existence with your positions on prison abolition

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lady isekais are just as hit and miss as guy isekais but when they miss they don’t leave you wondering how to reconcile their existence with your positions on prison abolition

You sure about that?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
isekai hank hill

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

didn't Ascendance of a Bookworm get kinda weird about using orphan labor?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

There's a, I guess race? of people called Newkamas who are just guys dressed as ladies. The creator insists this is very funny and brings them into the plot a lot.

It is somewhat ameliorated by the fact that the two main Newkama characters, Bon Clay and Ivankov, are actually good characters in their own right that the audience roots for. And also that eventually Oda just casually introduces a couple actual trans characters who are extremely cool and their transness is handled well and not made the butt of jokes. So there's a clear delineation between actual trans human beings and Newkama who are, yeah I guess just this weird kind of totally separate thing.

The Newkama aren't just good guys they're also the most revolutionary group of people in the story. The worst part about them is how Sanji's homophobia gets played for laughs instead of his sexism being a fatal character flaw.

Gripweed posted:

didn't Ascendance of a Bookworm get kinda weird about using orphan labor?

The circumstances of the story compel the protagonist to set up a book publishing business so that the female orphans aren't left to starve to death or be exploited as consorts, if that's what you're talking about. The nobles who form the priest class won't even let her do direct charity, so she has to come up with a scheme that has official license.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the best isekai is the one about a girl who gets sent to a medieval fantasy world and dominates it because she knows what capitalism is and is able to cure all diseases and eliminate poverty by establishing a for profit healthcare system