Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The IT movies (especially Chapter 2) suffer from the fact when you adapt a book you tether the storytelling to runtime. I feel that in Chapter 2 the events where everybody is being tormented was happening simultaneously but it's hard to do that in film.

Weirdly enough the TV format would've probably worked in splitting up each part into its own episode.

IT's a very difficult movie to adapt, in all fairness.

The TV movie had its moments. Curry and the child actors (for the most part) were good but the whole thing fell apart with the adult actors. Which was odd because several of them have delivered really good performances in other things I'd seen them in but, in the mini series, I thought most of them were god awful. And the less said about the special effects, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

marshmallow creep posted:

A big problem for me is that Chapter 2 spent most of its runtime trying to be Chapter 1.5 instead of being Chapter 2. The kids were breakouts in the first one, and so they gutted half the poo poo the adults could have done so they could have more stuff that happened in the past. We already watched that movie!

There were also a looooot of repeated scares from chapter 1 in chapter 2, but not as good. I liked chapter 2 but it was definitely a weaker film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd have liked to see an It adaptation that followed the book and alternated between the adults and kids instead of splitting then up. It would be much more difficult though so I get why they didn't do that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This seems like a good case for animation, but unfortunately, that's not a common medium for adults in the US. Animated adaptations would make a lot of sense for King's style, too, I think.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The film Pennywise is poo poo compared to the series Pennywise.

Why? Because the idea is that as an evil clown child eater predator, since you want to lure kids to you, YOU NEED TO NOT LOOK LIKE A CHILD EATING MONSTER. Until Curry's clown opens his mouth with fangs, he looks like a normal clown. As a parent, you'd send you kid off to get a free balloon from that clown.

The film clown? Looks like an extra from loving Insidious. No kid or adult will ever go near that Victorian loving monster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why? Because the idea is that as an evil clown child eater predator, since you want to lure kids to you, YOU NEED TO NOT LOOK LIKE A CHILD EATING MONSTER. Until Curry's clown opens his mouth with fangs, he looks like a normal clown. As a parent, you'd send you kid off to get a free balloon from that clown.

The film clown? Looks like an extra from loving Insidious. No kid or adult will ever go near that Victorian loving monster.

I think that's just a thing evil clowns can do. The Killer Klowns from Outer Space looked like killer clowns from outer space, didn't stop anyone from lining up to participate in clown shenanigans

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Leave posted:

This seems like a good case for animation, but unfortunately, that's not a common medium for adults in the US. Animated adaptations would make a lot of sense for King's style, too, I think.
This would be true for many stories, and I would definitely be on board. I've never read King's books but tend to enjoy the adaptations and I would watch any one of his stories animated. From what I know about it, this may be the only way to get a proper Dark Tower told.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Torquemada posted:

Having looked into this recently, it's frigging wild. One of the hostages was put on the phone to the president of the country, and he literally told her she'd have to die, sorry not sorry. No negotiations with terrorists, you'll have to die for your bank job.

After this, and after experiencing all the 'help' the police had to offer, she spent the rest of her life since then explaining her position: that the entire power apparatus of the country and government was seeking to kill her by either incompetence or fear while she was a hostage, while the bank robbers had no intention of hurting anyone and just obviously were in it for money.

In retrospect it's wild how many of our narratives about violence and culpability are just excuses and fabrications to justify obedience and deference to authorities.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Eh, film Pennywise fits into a world where parents don't give a poo poo about what happens to their children. I don't remember even one interaction between parents and Pennywise anyway, it's not like he has to keep a secret identity to indulge in his secret child-eating habit.

As for luring kids, Pennywise doesn't really need to. He wants to scare the poo poo out of them. Sometimes that works better when you make them drop their guard, sometimes it's better to let them understand right away that things are Wrong and they can't do anything about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It and Pennywise in particular are especially compelling because way too many people can relate to childhood being unreal and terrifying where horrible things happen and everyone who's supposed to protect you from them visibly doesn't give a poo poo, either refusing to acknowledge it's happening or just shrugging and walking away. Childhood is supposed to be idyllic and kids don't have real problems, they believe, and they don't want to acknowledge anything that doesn't fit their worldview.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marshmallow creep posted:

A big problem for me is that Chapter 2 spent most of its runtime trying to be Chapter 1.5 instead of being Chapter 2. The kids were breakouts in the first one, and so they gutted half the poo poo the adults could have done so they could have more stuff that happened in the past. We already watched that movie!

That's not a flaw in the movies, it's an effect of the adult section of the plot being a framing story for the kids section. In the book, there's a prologue of George's death then the story picks up eight months later to cover the whole summer of 1958 with at least eight major events. By contrast, the 1985 section of the book begins when Mike calls Stan on the evening of the 27th of May and ends on the morning of the 31st. And the vast majority of that time is spent with them telling each other stories about 1958.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jedit posted:

That's not a flaw in the movies, it's an effect of the adult section of the plot being a framing story for the kids section. In the book, there's a prologue of George's death then the story picks up eight months later to cover the whole summer of 1958 with at least eight major events. By contrast, the 1985 section of the book begins when Mike calls Stan on the evening of the 27th of May and ends on the morning of the 31st. And the vast majority of that time is spent with them telling each other stories about 1958.

Yeah, most of the horror of the adult section comes from them remembering the horror from their youth, not to much actually happens and other than the charcter noting that Derrys changed a lot you don't really get to know the new Derry, and as Derry and Pennywise are so interlinked you don't get as much of idea of how Derry/Pennywise is now. The characters are still all fighting their childhood terror not as much the current one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It and Pennywise in particular are especially compelling because way too many people can relate to childhood being unreal and terrifying where horrible things happen and everyone who's supposed to protect you from them visibly doesn't give a poo poo, either refusing to acknowledge it's happening or just shrugging and walking away. Childhood is supposed to be idyllic and kids don't have real problems, they believe, and they don't want to acknowledge anything that doesn't fit their worldview.

Yeah, the scariest moment in the book for me has always been when the bullies are attacking Ben with a knife, and a car drives past slowly, and Ben sees that the adults in the car see what's happening, but aren't going to do anything about it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Chapter 2's biggest flaw was the inexplicable need to be funny every 30 seconds. Just be scary, drat it. What the hell is this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRahVWONPqs

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, Beverly murdered her abusive father in self defense and at the end of the film we learn she's going to love with her aunt. Wouldn't there be a police investigation of some sort?

To be fair to the Derry PD, they had a recent change in personnel.

deoju has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Oct 4, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

rydiafan posted:

Chapter 2's biggest flaw was the inexplicable need to be funny every 30 seconds. Just be scary, drat it. What the hell is this poo poo?

It reminds me of the problem I had with Scream 4, everything had to be punctuated with a joke. The scene where Anthony Anderson gets stabbed in the head and continues trying to fight is genuinely disturbing and then they end it on a lovely one-liner.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

deoju posted:

good point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

deoju posted:

Or, to quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Police around here are, like really stupid."

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I like the Fargo show, but it's pretty obvious there are at most 1 or 2 smart people per season who run rings around everyone else, who are idiots.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or, to quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Police around here are, like really stupid."

Though the scene at the end of "School Hard" in season two shows that plenty of authority figures (Principal Snyder, the cops, and come season 3 it's clear plenty of the City Hall staff) are aware of the supernatural element in Sunnydale and are part of the cover-up.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rydiafan posted:

That was my take too, I get having some small humor bits but the tone felt WAY off the entire movie. First one nailed the feel, all they needed was to follow that & maybe amp it up a little.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Who put all this Raimi camp in my atmospheric horror?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Starts off with a really dumb implementation of virtual reality where people with AR goggles walk around on a big empty field. It almost makes sense until you wonder what happens when you walk down stairs. It gets progressively dumber the longer the set piece goes on for as far as what things are real in which place and get to affect what other things in which way.

The not-Navi use weird non-lethal goop shooting guns exactly once and never again when it would have been really convenient. What pissed me off more though was that it is implied but not acknowledged they probably actually killed everyone but the main characters by suffocation.

Valerian flies his little ship into the red zone that nobody has ever returned from. When the girl comes to pick him up they reappear on the scanners after moving about 10 meters. Nobody thinks it is worth mentioning that they are the first people to return from the red zone. Also nobody seems to have noticed that there is an entire settlement right at the edge of the red zone with people going in and out of it no problem. (I know the red zone was a hoax but none of the characters involved in the scene do at this point, and the signal loss was real)

Valerian's suit is a super power armor with juggernaut powers. The girl is captured wearing the same kind of suit. Instead of beating everyone in her way to a pulp or just walking through the wall out of there she gets convinced to take it off by a non verbal alien showing her pretty dresses.

For some reason the only way to rescue the girl that comes to Valerian's mind is to convince a rare alien and he just happens to know where to find one right where he is in that moment.

A shapeshifter puts on an erotic show and the best the coward film makers could come up with is "human woman wearing different clothes".

Do people leaving the strip club not get their guns back? There is a lot of guns hanging on the ceiling but no sign of anyone else actually being there.

Valerian decides to use an old radio to contact his boss. It is mentioned multiple times that they can not verify his identity nor that of others using the old radio. He could have just as easily, if not more easily, gone outside and talked to the soldiers outside who were already in contact with the boss using modern equipment and could have easily verified his identity. of course this arguably ends up saving their lives but neither him, the soldiers, nor their boss know the robots are about to attack.

Why did the not-Navi even go outside and just stand in front of the soldiers?

It's fair to assume the big assault rifles the soldiers carry pack more of a punch than a small pistol. All the soldiers are helpless against the robots attacking them while Valerian takes them out with a single headshot from his sidearm. I guess none of them thought to aim at their heads.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I discovered the best way to watch Valarian and the City of a Thousand planets is on an airplane with subtitles on but no audio because you're too cheap to spring for corded headphones but not cheap enough to get blitzed on rum & coke's.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The best way to watch Valarian and the City of a Thousand planets is to watch The Fifth Element instead.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQu7YkJz7c

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I kinda wanna meet whoever was in charge of casting for Valerian. How do you start with a role/character that's basically "confident, charming, kinda meatheaded super soldier" and end up going with Dane loving DeHaan? He's not a bad actor, but that is not a role suited for him.

The intro sequence still owns though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dane DeHaan & Cara Delevinge are incredibly attractive people whose beauty outstrips their acting ability.

At least DeHaan was able to land a part in Oopenheimer.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I've been watching Ahsoka and the prequal movies and, man, these jedi sure are cavalier about lightsaber safety. Just hanging out with my buddy in this very cramped supply closet, seems like a good time to fire it up and take a few practice swings. Hey master yoda, I know you've been doing this for a while but do you really think its a good idea to give a dozen toddlers lightsabers and then blindfold them? I wonder if there's like a jedi facebook group where they're all posting pictures of themselves pointing lightsabers at their dicks captioned "triggered? lol" and discussing situational awareness tactics to avoid "those people" whenever they go to Coruscant

Also, this is an IIMM that goes back to 1977 but why do stormtroopers even bother wearing armor. They might as well be fighting in swim trunks and tank tops. But one of the protagonists can put on some lacross pads and be invulnerable to lightsabers and blasters apparently, because this is a show for children and why am I watching this

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Perestroika posted:

I kinda wanna meet whoever was in charge of casting for Valerian. How do you start with a role/character that's basically "confident, charming, kinda meatheaded super soldier" and end up going with Dane loving DeHaan? He's not a bad actor, but that is not a role suited for him.

The intro sequence still owns though.

The most charitable explanation I can think of is that DeHaan and Delevingne are kinda close in age and casting anyone older and more built than DeHaan is gonna look kinda creepy for how small and young Delevingne would look next to them.

But then again the movie is by noted unapologetic sex creep Luc Besson, whose best movie would have featured a suave assassin and a little girl falling in love as a cool and good if not for the intervention of his cast and their parents.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oopenheimer. Oops, All nukes!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've been watching Ahsoka and the prequal movies and, man, these jedi sure are cavalier about lightsaber safety. Just hanging out with my buddy in this very cramped supply closet, seems like a good time to fire it up and take a few practice swings. Hey master yoda, I know you've been doing this for a while but do you really think its a good idea to give a dozen toddlers lightsabers and then blindfold them? I wonder if there's like a jedi facebook group where they're all posting pictures of themselves pointing lightsabers at their dicks captioned "triggered? lol" and discussing situational awareness tactics to avoid "those people" whenever they go to Coruscant

Also, this is an IIMM that goes back to 1977 but why do stormtroopers even bother wearing armor. They might as well be fighting in swim trunks and tank tops. But one of the protagonists can put on some lacross pads and be invulnerable to lightsabers and blasters apparently, because this is a show for children and why am I watching this

Well AHKCHULY shes wearing beskar armour which is blaster proof whereas the stormtroopers...

Meh, i agree, its a bit lazy. Lot to be said for the stormtroopers just looking like that to be terrifying, though. The whole fascist aesthetic. Actual protective armour would cost too much.

Fairly meh overall but i thought Ezra, and the two Dark Jedi, were great.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Roblo posted:

Fairly meh overall but i thought Ezra, and the two Dark Jedi, were great.

Yeah, the mercenary jedi were pretty dope. RIP Ray, you will always be my one true Punisher.

I liked the medieval Japanese inspired aesthetic of Thrawns army, too. The kintsugi crack repairs on the stormtroopers armor was a nice touch. Too bad about the poo poo writing and poor direction. I really wanted it to be good because I like Rosario Dawson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead but they aren't given anything to work with. Its such a bummer since Andor demonstrated you can have good writing, thematic storytelling, powerhouse acting and characters with believable motivations that feel like real human beings in the Star Wars universe. Ahsoka just felt like fan fiction to me.

Still better than the prequels tho, jfc

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The problem is absolutely lightsabers. There's only two properties in the whole canon with no lightsabers, and they're the best two.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Torquemada posted:

The problem is absolutely lightsabers. There's only two properties in the whole canon with no lightsabers, and they're the best two.

The Bad Batch
and...uhhh...Mandolorian Season 1 if we don't count the brief appearance of the Dark Saber?

I haven't seen Solo, but I know Darth Maul is in it, so I don't know if he has/uses a lightsaber or not.
But no one in their right mind would call Solo one of the best two.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The whole point of lightsabers was that they can cut through anything, but now the 'list of poo poo that a lightsaber can't cut through' gets longer with each new Star Wars show. loving droids are carrying weapons made from stuff lightsabers can't cut through, just build the droid out of that poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always wanted more General Grevious poo poo, like pre cyborg poo poo. He's supposed to be loving terrifying and slaughtering Jedi.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Bad Batch
and...uhhh...Mandolorian Season 1 if we don't count the brief appearance of the Dark Saber?

I haven't seen Solo, but I know Darth Maul is in it, so I don't know if he has/uses a lightsaber or not.
But no one in their right mind would call Solo one of the best two.

That's Rogue One and Andor.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I would've been fine with Solo, except for the lameass backstory they gave his name. That's actually the only thing I remember from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MajorBonnet posted:

I would've been fine with Solo, except for the lameass backstory they gave his name. That's actually the only thing I remember from it.

Oh my god I had repressed that memory