Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia being unable to secure Crimea will always make it open to dispute, and Ukraine will always be able to invade and retake the territory when they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Don't worry Zelensky is at a European security summit in Spain and the Ruskies, in their infinite evil, used a bomb or missile to kill 50 civilians at a grocery store according to the AFU, similar to how during Blinken's visit the Russians tricked the Ukrainians into firing a missile at that market and then tricked the Ukrainians into lying about the source.

They'll get their funding

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Zelensky had previously promised that the AFU would take 3 cities by year's end - Bakhmut, Tormak, and a third he's keeping secret. Curious if he actually had a third in mind when he said it.

Also curious why he would say that, at this point it's kind of a bold claim. I mean, probably for PR as usual. Gotta keep the NAFO high going.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Former European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has slammed the possibility of Ukraine joining the EU, lambasting the country as massively “corrupt.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/jean-claude-juncker-ukraine-corruption-eu-accession/

Juncker: Ukraine is totally corrupt
By Laura Hülsemann
October 5, 2023 12:51 pm CET
3 minutes read

Former European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has slammed the possibility of Ukraine joining the EU, lambasting the country as massively “corrupt.”

“Anyone who has had anything to do with Ukraine knows that this is a country that is corrupt at all levels of society. Despite its efforts, it is not ready for accession; it needs massive internal reform processes,” Juncker said during an interview with German outlet Augsburger Allgemeine published Thursday.

“Making false promises” to Ukrainians regarding EU accession “would be neither good for the EU nor for Ukraine,” added Juncker, who was boss at the Berlaymont in Brussels from 2014 to 2019.

“You shouldn’t make false promises to the people in Ukraine who are up to their necks in suffering,” Juncker said. “I am very angry about some voices in Europe who are telling Ukrainians that they can become members immediately.” Kyiv has been fending off Russian President Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion which began in February 2022.

EU membership for aspirant countries like Ukraine and Moldova must be connected to “internal reforms” and be backed by a “qualified majority,” Juncker argued. Ukraine has faced questions for years over its track record on fighting corruption.

Current European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen and European Council boss Charles Michel are both much more bullish than Juncker on Ukraine’s accession to the bloc.

On Tuesday, POLITICO reported that the EU is gearing up to open negotiations with Ukraine on its future accession with a formal announcement expected as soon as December, according to three diplomats.

During German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock’s visit to Kyiv on Tuesday — part of the first-ever informal meeting of EU foreign ministers outside of the bloc — she underlined that “the future of Ukraine lies in the European Union. In our community of freedom, which will stretch from Lisbon to Luhansk.” In September, Baerbock also noted on a trip to Kyiv that Ukraine needed to do more to root out corruption.

Von der Leyen has been positive on Ukraine’s case for membership and pushed for an expanded European Union of 30 countries during her State of the Union speech in September.

In August, two high-ranking Ukrainian officials were named as suspects in an embezzlement scheme involving the procurement of humanitarian aid, while then-Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov came under fire in January over a military catering contract.

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who has been leading the anti-corruption crackdown in Ukraine, has been criticized for his decision to equate corruption with treason, which officials and watchdogs have warned would give more power to the state security service.

“We have had bad experiences with some so-called new members, for example when it comes to the rule of law,” Juncker said. “This cannot be repeated again.”

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

A few pages back there were already polls showing enthusiasm was dropping among Democrats. It isn't the only factor but it is going to be a major drag.

Also, Trump is very well-known quantity; what is probably going to change is the war and the economy, with the economy will probably be the decisive factor but the war is going to be there as well.

I think we're in agreement that it will only hurt Biden, just to what extent if any. It won't help Biden at all unless there's a string of miracles leading to Ukraine driving Russia out of Crimea.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

РИА Новости posted:

Odessa is a Russian city and a little bit Jewish, Putin said
(from t.me/rian_ru/217348, via tgsa)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The Marine brigades are Political, from what I understand.

Hanging out with British advisors from the RM and SBS, getting to wear high cut helmets and HSLD swag, being told the cowardly Russians will run away at your elite commando raid, these are all selling points I imagine.

Well thats a shame to hear since my friends cousin, who was killed was apparently in a Marine unit

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Two weeks after the surrender of Nagorno-Karabakh following a lightning-fast military offensive, on Tuesday, October 3, Azerbaijan re-issued a map of the capital of the former Armenian separatist enclave (Stepanakert in Armenian, Khankendi in Azerbaijani), with street names in Azerbaijani. One of these streets is named after Turkish military officer Enver Pasha, one of the main instigators of the Armenian genocide of 1915. The map was first published in August 2021.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

I think we're in agreement that it will only hurt Biden, just to what extent if any. It won't help Biden at all unless there's a string of miracles leading to Ukraine driving Russia out of Crimea.

At the moment, the effect is probably pretty small, but if things did turn south for the Ukrainians in a big way, it could suppress enthusiasm among Democrats. Afghanistan really didn't help Biden.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has there been any analysis of how the pro-Ukraine guys keep believing that Russia is on the verge of collapse? I can understand believing that when the initial invasion went way worse than anyone expected and Ukraine was able to push Russia back in places. But that was a long time ago, they've been pushing on that door for over a year now and so far that rotten edifice refuses to collapse. How do they keep the faith that something has been about to happen any day now for so long?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

mawarannahr posted:

gotta stop the fascist from getting into office :champ:

:yooge: We're building a wall and Mexico the Democrat Party is gonna pay for it!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Has there been any analysis of how the pro-Ukraine guys keep believing that Russia is on the verge of collapse? I can understand believing that when the initial invasion went way worse than anyone expected and Ukraine was able to push Russia back in places. But that was a long time ago, they've been pushing on that door for over a year now and so far that rotten edifice refuses to collapse. How do they keep the faith that something has been about to happen any day now for so long?

They don't have to provide reasoning; it just is. Russia is always defeated, no matter what.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

supersnowman posted:

Russia isn't ethnically cleansing the Ukrainians in Russia proper but will do it in the new regions because?

It's like the Holodomor where the Soviet were genociding the Ukrainians but stopped because :reasons:.

I mean, there's going to be a difference between "people who've been living in our borders for decades and decades," versus, "people living in newly acquired territory who could be using Ukrainian as a sign of defiance of the new rule." From a Machiavellian point of view, it'd make sense. But this also isn't a prognostication hill I'm willing to die on, just a potential concern. I hope I'm wrong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

It's questionable whether NAFO contains any actual real people but it's certain that if it does they are not connected with reality.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Gripweed posted:

By the beginning of March 2022, they completely bought the idea that Russia is about to totally collapse and have quite simply never updated that prior with any new information.

They sincerely believe that Russia is throwing human waves and losing troops en masse in an act of sacrifice, but also that Russian soldiers are cowardly and run away at the earliest sign of any remote danger.

Basically anything that happens or Ukraine claims to happen is fit into the prior of "Russia will collapse imminently".

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well, Ukrainian is an official language in those areas, so I think they could keep on doing their thing. Also, Surzhyk (hybrid Ukrainian-Russian) is a thing and probably most people are going to know how to communicate with each other. Even in Western Ukraine, most people knew Russian as well.

Back in the 2000s, I think something like 80% of the books printed in Ukraine were Russian.

----------------

I think NAFO is going to call it a victory even if Ukraine completely collapses. It just doesn't matter.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can implement official bilingualism like Canada.

Or you can fight a war over it and see where that gets you. But it doesn't look like it's anywhere good.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

To put it even more simply, NAFO will believe any Good News for Ukraine because they want to believe it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Well, Ukrainian is an official language in those areas, so I think they could keep on doing their thing. Also, Surzhyk (hybrid Ukrainian-Russian) is a thing and probably most people are going to know how to communicate with each other. Even in Western Ukraine, most people knew Russian as well.

Back in the 2000s, I think something like 80% of the books printed in Ukraine were Russian.

----------------

I think NAFO is going to call it a victory even if Ukraine completely collapses. It just doesn't matter.

Zelensky's show used to be in Russian, lol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

How different are Ukrainian and Russian? If you know one you can basically get by with the other, or at least you could if using one or the other wasn't a political statement at this point, right?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Probably Magic posted:

Zelensky's show used to be in Russian, lol.

Has anyone here watched it? Is it pure Slava or is there something to it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like someone from New Jersey trying to talk to someone from Louisiana

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Brееgе Timе ZÖZZ🇷🇺 posted:

"Bilingualism Today, French Tomorrow" is a Canadian book published in 1979, protesting against official bilingualism.

In a book written by retired Naval officer Jock W. Andrew, it is alleged that Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's official bilingualism policy was a conspiracy "to transform Canada from an English-speaking country into a French-speaking one."

And what happened to bilingual Canada?Nothing. French Quebec speaks French, the rest of Canada speaks English.

Morons who rush through the streets and demand everyone speak the state language are not found...

Although the Nazis are found in power. But that's a different story.
(from t.me/breege_time_20zz/26313, via tgsa)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Montreal is bilingual but that’s about it afaict

is there anyone here from Canada ?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Like, someone who posts huge info posts every other page even??

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Servant of the People has characters that speak in Russian and Ukrainian.

The language division is a regional and class distinction, but the show also has political message and a bias. So you would have to analyze it very carefully and not just draw conclusions directly from it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Gripweed posted:

One of the defining mindsets of neoliberalism is "I'm one of the good guys. Because I believe a thing is good, it will happen because someone else will do it for me. However, I must relentlessly police that someone else should they appear to ensure the job is done in a way that does not affect me, or more importantly, my standing as a good guy."

Since Putin is a bad guy, he will obviously fail on his own, and a collapse of his regime is the most dramatic scenario of Putins defeat that would not personally affect them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

euphronius posted:

no, famously no-one who regularly posts in the thread is Canadian

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Megamissen posted:

good job speng

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

euphronius posted:

:goofy:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

How different are Ukrainian and Russian? If you know one you can basically get by with the other, or at least you could if using one or the other wasn't a political statement at this point, right?

Supposedly literary Ukrainian has like 600 words that are completely different or something.

Otherwise it's a similar language with a turkish influence to it, according to one linguist anyway.

It's also a dubious political statement because a large portion of the people fighting on the frontlines speak primarily russian.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

And not really offer service in the second language in the majority of the country?
:canada:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

VoicesCanBe posted:

Has anyone here watched it? Is it pure Slava or is there something to it?
this is the only scene I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceiIUTMvD0

pretty dark and prescient in retrospect

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

Jesus lol come on man

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

VoicesCanBe posted:

The only way Russia takes Odessa is through the Zelensky government collapsing, and then installing a puppet government which then signs over Odessa (and other oblasts) over to them.

Which I think is the long-term plan for Russia winning the war. And absent major shifts in the current course, that's probably where it's eventually headed.

I’m thinking someone in US govt had that thought recently and asked their friends at RAND about it

If I survive WW3, I’ll ask the IWGC to engrave this alongside Overextending Russia on the Melnyk Gate

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
i bet Zelensky speaks Russian in private

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

no, famously no-one who regularly posts in the thread is Canadian

Is Canada even real

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

the most euphronius post yet

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m thinking someone in US govt had that thought recently and asked their friends at RAND about it

If I survive WW3, I’ll ask the IWGC to engrave this alongside Overextending Russia on the Melnyk Gate

Russia believes it can win a war of attrition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Canada even real

many such questions!